Poll - Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Poll - Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno?

In the event that UConn needed to replace Geno, who would be your current favorite candidate?

• Jennifer Rizzotti

• Carla Berubi

• Jamelle Elliot

• Chris Daley

• Someone else to be named in a post below

• No opinion / no preference at this time

Results are only viewable after voting.

sun

Reaction Score
IMHO it's too early and unnecessary to discuss Geno's replacement at this point in time.
I started considering that Jen Rizzotti could be a possible replacement for Geno back when she first took the UHartford coaching job.
It's a natural progression for a student to become a teacher and a replacement.
It's only a matter of when, and this poll presupposes that it could be sooner than later.
That's what fans do, they want to discuss & practice managing the team in theory.
It's the folks that think Geno can't possibly be replaced that are in denial about how the process will work.
It's going to happen and no one really knows when.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Becky Hammond.

I figure that has a legit chance since geno isn’t retiring tomorrow

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Shea, barring any surprises at Vandy.

Reaction Score
In the event that Geno needed to be permanently replaced due to unforeseen circumstances, who would be your current favorite candidate to replace him?
Obviously undefeated so far in his absence CD. ;) I do think she will retire when he does though.
It's only a matter of when, and this poll presupposes that it could be sooner than later.
That's what fans do, they want to discuss & practice managing the team in theory.
No attack but how is it you presuppose how or what all fans think? That and the contenders in the poll other than Carla have stepped away from head coaching and offers. Coaching in college is all about recruiting, and anyone following a legend will have the competition reminding them Geno is not there anymore.
Why more doom & gloom? You may want to practice managing the team in theory but many here, my guess would like to see games played and coached by Geno. I will not speak for others but I want real games over speculation polls at this time of year.

Happy New Year the best way all can find it. :( ;) :)

Reaction Score
I like the idea of lobo. She started the juggernaut let her carry it on . She’s watched Geno outside of CD the longest why not give Arby a shot?

sun

Reaction Score
Obviously undefeated so far in his absence CD. ;) I do think she will retire when he does though.

No attack but how is it you presuppose how or what all fans think? That and the contenders in the poll other than Carla have stepped away from head coaching and offers. Coaching in college is all about recruiting, and anyone following a legend will have the competition reminding them Geno is not there anymore.
Why more doom & gloom? You may want to practice managing the team in theory but many here, my guess would like to see games played and coached by Geno. I will not speak for others but I want real games over speculation polls at this time of year.

Happy New Year the best way all can find it. :( ;) :)
I'm not presupposing all fans, only some fans which may or may not be the majority.
It depends who you talk to since there are countless fans.
I don't know where you are from but I'm a CT resident and a UConn alumni, so maybe I feel a closer connection than some other fans who are not.
The many fans that I read posts of elsewhere don't seem to have any problem responding to this poll or discussing the topic.
There's always a few folks that object but I can't understand why they simply don't ignore the topic if they're not comfortable with it.

FYI, Jen didn't exactly step away from coaching.
She was fired by GMU and suddenly a WNBA job offering appeared that helped her decide to relocate back to Connecticut close to Storrs.

As far as recruiting, that's just another factor that can affect who a poll taker votes for.
It's possible that if there was another HC they may want to clean house or get rid of some of the current assistant coaches and bring in some other former UConn superstars
People mention Sue Bird or DT, imagine if someone of their caliber became assistant coaches.
Then there would be a trio or quartet of UConn alumni running the team and recruiting too.
Just because Morgan Valley, Jamelle Elliot and Chris Daley hold the jobs now doesn't mean that they would all remain on the staff.
Those jobs pay a lot of money about 1/4 - 1/3 of a million $$$ per year, so they could be used to lure in other former stars with bigger names and more recruiting power.
Then recruitment wouldn't all be reliant only on the name & reputation of the HC.

This isn't about doom & gloom.
Quite the opposite.
It's also about the rebirth of the UConn staff post Geno, and how UConn WBB can become better in different ways.
I hear enough doom & gloom from our WBB fans about how the glory days of the program are over which I don't agree with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So far, former UConn basketball players taking coaching positions do not have a stellar record in Div I baskeball. I would tend to go for Shea but that remains to be seen.

Right now, there appears to be no one who can replace Geno. First, UConn would never pay what it takes to replace Geno with the likes of Jeff Walz, or Dawn Staley. They are going to look for a bargain a lot less than what they pay Geno. (there are probably those within UConn and the State who hope Geno does retire so they won't have to pay the millions he makes.) So what they get is going to be a lot less in quality than the present staff.

Shea has the fire in her belly, but not the record to prove her worth. She knows the system approach. With her own brand of the system, she could be a success at UConn. Only time will tell. However, when will we ever see a regular season again?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
When this occurs there are some possible financial factors that might be involved. What will become public is Geno highest paid public employee in the state, the program loses money every year. The state is losing businesses and citizens so the tax base is taking a hit. The best option is either an upcoming coach or someone willing to not take SEC money.

Reaction Score
[ ]
I doubt Walz or Staley would leave their current positions, but money needn’t be the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Uconn was smart, and they are, they would pursue Dawn Staley a proven recruiter and great coach who Geno has helped and mentored. Most organizations make the mistake of hiring from within in order to maintain consistency. There's only one Geno and CD will probably retire with him. If not coach Staley then pursue Kin Mulkey both coaches will have Uconn playing tough defenses and will recruit great players and athletes. If they go outside the box you think they'll consider Muffet McGraw..lol

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If Uconn was smart, and they are, they would pursue Dawn Staley a proven recruiter and great coach who Geno has helped and mentored. Most organizations make the mistake of hiring from within in order to maintain consistency. There's only one Geno and CD will probably retire with him. If not coach Staley then pursue Kin Mulkey both coaches will have Uconn playing tough defenses and will recruit great players and athletes. If they go outside the box you think they'll consider Muffet McGraw..lol
Kidding right? Dawn looking for NBA nod, and Kim at home in Louisiana. Only an up-and-coming coach, a high-profile assistant, or a pro coach looking to go back to the college ranks will be pursuing this position at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom