Poll - Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll - Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno?

In the event that UConn needed to replace Geno, who would be your current favorite candidate?

• Jennifer Rizzotti

• Carla Berubi

• Jamelle Elliot

• Chris Daley

• Someone else to be named in a post below

• No opinion / no preference at this time

Results are only viewable after voting.

sun

Reaction Score

Carla Berube Mic'd Up​

Posted Jan 28, 2020 by Princeton Athletics
Get to know Princeton women's basketball head coach Carla Berube.

Reaction Score
C'mon SHEA!

I can't believe she was not on the list.

She has the gravitas to replace Geno and the years of coaching at UConn and now will have the head coaching experience,

Reaction Score
Granted, the question is poor timing, kinda like burying someone before they're dead. But since it's been asked I'll stick in my 2 cents worth:

Kara Marie Lawson, an accomplished player, TV analyst, and now Duke's coach.
I believe she has the smarts and toughness to become a great coach, and the disposition to ignore fan questions like this.

sun

Reaction Score
C'mon SHEA!

I can't believe she was not on the list.

She has the gravitas to replace Geno and the years of coaching at UConn and now will have the head coaching experience,
I left Shea off the list because she made a major commitment to move to Tennessee to run the Vandy program.
She could have stayed at UConn as an Assistant Coach knowing that Geno was getting closer to retirement, but she chose not to.
And she has also said how much that she was looking forward to being closer to her roots growing up in North Carolina.
IDK, maybe she was just paying lip service to her new employer, but I tend to accept what reputable people say in public statements at their face value.

Some HC's might choose to build job security by joining a program and making their mark on it.
That's what I thought that Shea was trying to accomplish at Vandy rather than taking a gamble on becoming the next UConn HC and possibly being left out in the cold.
I think that she read the tea leaves and decided to split for greener pastures.
This way she will only apply for the UConn HC job if she's not happy at Vandy or feels unfulfilled.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jen was not successful as a HC, not in recruiting and not in her record. Shea and Marissa are too new in their positions so we really have no idea what they will look like as far as coaching and recruiting goes. Jamelle was fired from Cinci, and Tonya has not impressed at Temple. I think CD leaves when Geno does, or maybe 1 year after to help with the transition. Really there is no one in the UCONN coaching tree I would like at this time except maybe for Carla.

I like the idea of Walz if he were willing. But aside from the tremendous history we have, I'm not sure as a school, location, etc. that UCONN would be a step up for him. I like the idea of Curt Miller - coach of the Sun. he came from a WCBB background, was recommended for the job by Geno, and has done great things, without the best talent, at the Sun.

Doubt we could lure Lawson away from Duke - better school, better location, and she's building something really good down there, but she's another coach I'd love to see take over UCONN.

Then I think you have to look outside the box. There are many coaches in WCBB who did really well at their mid-major before taking the next step up to the "big leagues". Honestly I have no idea right now what coaches are doing really well at their respective mid-majors.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
None of these great young coaches will leave their respective universities if they are having sucess. They are young enough to build their own program, so why would Shea, Aida, and Kara leave a P5 conference to follow a coach that they will always be compared to. They could probably never live up to the expectations of the university and its fan base.

I would mirror what JoePgh said about Curt Miller, the Connecticut Sun Coach. This guy is a great coach, and the players love him. When Geno retires Curt may be ready to leave the pros and get back to the college game. One problem though, the Sun have to win one WNBA championship for him to leave with no unfinished business. I believe that if he could win one, that could open the door for him to consider it. GO SUN

Reaction Score
Granted, the question is poor timing, kinda like burying someone before they're dead. But since it's been asked I'll stick in my 2 cents worth:

Kara Marie Lawson, an accomplished player, TV analyst, and now Duke's coach.
I believe she has the smarts and toughness to become a great coach, and the disposition to ignore fan questions like this.
She's sharp. Kara has a keen basketball mind. UConn could do worse. I was hoping she would get the Celtics job but I doubt she would leave her current position for Storrs. If she did, however, it would bring the pleasant benefit of causing every head on Vol Nation to explode in unison. But Geno likely sticks around for 3 or 4 more years so it's probably a moot point right now. And CD probably retires the same time Geno does.

Internally, keep your eye on Jamelle or Morgan Valley. Externally, I guess I'm okay with most anyone the university would select who does not have the last name of Mabrey.

Reaction Score
In the event that Geno needed to be permanently replaced due to unforeseen circumstances, who would be your current favorite candidate to replace him?

This is not about selecting an interim HC, but rather a permanent replacement under a multi-year contract.

IMHO, since Jennifer Rizzotti has reestablished her presence close to Storrs, Connecticut as the President of the Connecticut Sun, it has seemingly placed her in close geographic proximity to easily become Geno's replacement if and when that becomes necessary.
That could work out a number of different ways, and may never even happen, but she's my favorite candidate for the HC job at this time.
I'll ride this horse to the end, wherever, whenever that may be. \i always dance with the guy that brung me this far.

sun

Reaction Score
This exact same poll was posted on a UConn WBB group page and the results thus far are as follows:

Jen Rizzotti - 42 votes - 19%
Carla Berube - 17 votes - 7%
Jamelle Elliot - 12 votes - 5%
Chris Daley - 137 votes - 64%
Someone else - 3 votes - 3%
No opinion - 3 votes - 3%

There were some votes posted for Sue Bird.
It seems that the poll results on this board fundamentally disagrees with other UConn fans in many respects.
Some think that the time between hiring the 1st & 2nd coach post-Geno would represent a transition period from Geno to Chris Daley and then to someone else.
They feel that if CD doesn't want the job then it will go directly to someone else.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The question: Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno? If we take the question at face value, and not consider any of the ancillary dynamics associated with a candidate leaving their current employment and or any compensation requirements they would require, I think the most important consideration is who can come here and pick up were Geno left off? What coach could keep the legacy and mystique going? What coach is attractive to recruits? Someone with name recognition that would not have to identify themselves when they ring door bells on home visits. Replacing a legend is ALWAYS difficult.

Who is a magnet that would attract the high profile recruits? Who would recruits have a hard time saying no to? :eek: Names already mentioned that I think would be very attractive sitting in Geno's seat on the bench is Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Carla Berube, Courtney banghart, Shea and Adia Barnes. As previously suggested, a tandem of Sue and Diana would be a hard combination to beat.

Kim Mulkey is a winner and will win wherever she goes. She's in the twilight of her career and probably not interested in perpetuating Geno's legacy, but rather perpetuating her own at LSU. SHE would win at UConn, and she would have no problem getting recruits to come here. But what do I know, I all but guaranteed that Aliyah Boston was coming to UConn. :confused: When the time comes, they may hire someone we haven't mentioned here.

That said, I don't think Geno will be leaving anytime soon. When he does, it will be the most discussed topic ever in the history of the Boneyard.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
I think that UConn's record of success sells itself in part due to all of the national attention that the WBB program receives.
Just about all of our former players are ambassadors for the program.
The rest is about personality and continued coaching success based on recruitment and reputation.
All of UConn's former players will rally around any qualified UConn alumni who is chosen to be the next HC.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Easy answer - no one.

Since Geno has given no indication of retiring, I'll stick with Geno.
The poll never had anything to due with an expected retirement, but rather if there were ever an unexpected incapacitation or absence which could lead to Geno needing to step down prematurely.
This was intended to make the poll current and relevant to the realities of modern life, as well as entertaining.
Fans here often say that they don't know what will happen post Geno and that his shoes can't be filled, but this gives us an idea, and a way for fans to express their opinion about who they would currently like his replacement to be.
The fans need to believe that UConn WBB is larger than Geno.
It's a lot like Lombardi and the Packers, the legendary tradition that Lombardi created lives on even though he's long gone.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ha, I have that same Sports Illustrated cover with Jens Autograph. Framed birthday present from my son.

Reaction Score
I left Shea off the list because she made a major commitment to move to Tennessee to run the Vandy program.
She could have stayed at UConn as an Assistant Coach knowing that Geno was getting closer to retirement, but she chose not to.
And she has also said how much that she was looking forward to being closer to her roots growing up in North Carolina.
IDK, maybe she was just paying lip service to her new employer, but I tend to accept what reputable people say in public statements at their face value.

Some HC's might choose to build job security by joining a program and making their mark on it.
That's what I thought that Shea was trying to accomplish at Vandy rather than taking a gamble on becoming the next UConn HC and possibly being left out in the cold.
I think that she read the tea leaves and decided to split for greener pastures.
This way she will only apply for the UConn HC job if she's not happy at Vandy or feels unfulfilled.

I understand. But, I think that she took the job knowing that Geno was going to coach for more years, and thus, she could take the opportunity to become a head coach.

This will make her all the more prepared when she comes back to UConn. And I think that Vandy would expect her to take the job at UConn. if offered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom