Poll - Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll - Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno?

In the event that UConn needed to replace Geno, who would be your current favorite candidate?

• Jennifer Rizzotti

• Carla Berubi

• Jamelle Elliot

• Chris Daley

• Someone else to be named in a post below

• No opinion / no preference at this time

Results are only viewable after voting.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For the record, I have never corrected anyone’s grammar or spelling in the past; as a fan forum I normally do not see that as important. However, something like creating a poll should garner a certain amount of respect for those you are putting in the poll by getting their names right.

That is an easy thing to do now. For example, if you were to type “Carla Berubi” into a search engine you would get a response asking if you meant the correctly spelled name. (One of two misspelled names). Easy. As in a few seconds. For a free flowing post? Shrug of the shoulder. For creating a poll? The few seconds necessary to get names right is well worth it.

If Ralph succeeds at Vandy I would give her the nod, though I don’t think she would come.
There is a word in the title that is spelled wrong, but who cares?

sun

Reaction Score
I understand. But, I think that she took the job knowing that Geno was going to coach for more years, and thus, she could take the opportunity to become a head coach.

This will make her all the more prepared when she comes back to UConn. And I think that Vandy would expect her to take the job at UConn. if offered.

Not only was Shea hired at Vandy, but in turn she hired her husband to be one of her assistant coaches.
He had previously worked there for maybe 6 years and he strongly encouraged her to take the job in the first place.

As a private university, Vandy may have perks that UConn can't match.
I'm not so sure that Shea would be selected with all of the competition for the UConn position.
She may certainly try if she can't reap enough success in the SEC, but you would think that she would have some allegiance to Vandy for giving her the opportunity to build an elite program for them as she touted from the start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not only was Shea hired at Vandy, but in turn she hired her husband to be one of her assistant coaches.
He had previously worked there for maybe 6 years and he strongly encouraged her to take the job in the first place.

As a private university, Vandy may have perks that UConn can't match.
I'm not so sure that Shea would be selected with all of the competition for the UConn position.
She may certainly try if she can't reap enough success in the SEC, but you would think that she would have some allegiance to Vandy for giving her the opportunity to build an elite program for them as she touted from the start.

don't bother, people think that Shea will leave a power 5 Sec football money job in a great city Nashville, to go to cold Storrs, CT and play in a group of 5 conference.

Reaction Score

The question: Who Would You Chose to Replace Geno? If we take the question at face value, and not consider any of the ancillary dynamics associated with a candidate leaving their current employment and or any compensation requirements they would require, I think the most important consideration is who can come here and pick up were Geno left off? What coach could keep the legacy and mystique going? What coach is attractive to recruits? Someone with name recognition that would not have to identify themselves when they ring door bells on home visits. Replacing a legend is ALWAYS difficult.

Who is a magnet that would attract the high profile recruits? Who would recruits have a hard time saying no to? :eek: Names already mentioned that I think would be very attractive sitting in Geno's seat on the bench is Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Carla Berube, Courtney banghart, Shea and Adia Barnes. As previously suggested, a tandem of Sue and Diana would be a hard combination to beat.

Kim Mulkey is a winner and will win wherever she goes. She's in the twilight of her career and probably not interested in perpetuating Geno's legacy, but rather perpetuating her own at LSU. SHE would win at UConn, and she would have no problem getting recruits to come here. But what do I know, I all but guaranteed that Aliyah Boston was coming to UConn. :confused: When the time comes, they may hire someone we haven't mentioned here.

That said, I don't think Geno will be leaving anytime soon. When he does, it will be the most discussed topic ever in the history of the Boneyard.
Sue and DT would be a very interesting tandem. They could play good cop / bad cop. Guess which one would be the bad cop? :) (hint: think GOAT, oops they are both GOATs)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is an interesting proposition: "In the event that UConn needed to replace...."
With all due respect, is that just a clunky way of saying "Geno's retiring" or does it imply the need happened "out of nowhere?" (health scare, won a N/C and decided that's it).

If the latter (need someone fast), I'd try to make sure CD takes the reins. She's so intrinsically involved in all aspects of this program that it would probably not have to shift gears.

If the former, you've got to think AD David Benedict has a plan, much as ND AD Jack Swarbrick had one when Muffet McGraw hung up the whistle.

While the idea of WNBA and UConn greats coming back seems compelling, I wonder if the Becky Hammons deal in Las Vegas might complicate matters. While not at NBA levels, Hammons' deal upped the salary game in the WNBA and, for what it's worth, that's where DT and Sue have lived the majority of their hoops lives. Plus, the gig isn't a year-round one (no recruiting!), which they might find more to their taste. The only pro mentioned who could be interesting is Curt Miller...his teaching style of coaching could fit well.

The longer Walz stays at Louisville, the less likely he is to leave there: that's pretty much become his legacy and I think he knows and is comfortable with it.

So, if I'm Benedict, I call Shea Ralph and Carla Berube. Berube's been at two academically-challenging schools her entire collegiate coaching life so being able to expand that recruiting base a bit (see Banghart, Courtney) could be a thrill. On the other hand, expectations are a lot higher. But she's a hell of a coach.

Shea knows expectations, for sure. On the other hand, she'd just getting going in the HC gig, but my gut tells me this is not an immediate issue.

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I would not assume that all former players would make great coaches. Playing and coaching are sometimes related activities, but not the same thing. There are some great coaches who never played and some great players who should never coach at the highest level. I would suppose UConn would seek a proven coach with a winning track record, not just choose a big name player form the past.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think that UConn's record of success sells itself in part due to all of the national attention that the WBB program receives.
Just about all of our former players are ambassadors for the program.
The rest is about personality and continued coaching success based on recruitment and reputation.
All of UConn's former players will rally around any qualified UConn alumni who is chosen to be the next HC.

View attachment 72274

The poll never had anything to due with an expected retirement, but rather if there were ever an unexpected incapacitation or absence which could lead to Geno needing to step down prematurely.

This was intended to make the poll current and relevant to the realities of modern life, as well as entertaining.
Fans here often say that they don't know what will happen post Geno and that his shoes can't be filled, but this gives us an idea, and a way for fans to express their opinion about who they would currently like his replacement to be.
The fans need to believe that UConn WBB is larger than Geno.
It's a lot like Lombardi and the Packers, the legendary tradition that Lombardi created lives on even though he's long gone.

I see I struck a nerve. Good.

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson, if she'd leave Duke (which I doubt).
Diana Taurasi, if she changes her mind about coaching (which I doubt)
Shea Ralph, I think w/the Vandy experience she'd have the edge. I believe she would leave there for the opportunity. After all, it's not like it's going to be tomorrow.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson, if she'd leave Duke (which I doubt).
Diana Taurasi, if she changes her mind about coaching (which I doubt)
Shea Ralph, I think w/the Vandy experience she'd have the edge. I believe she would leave there for the opportunity. After all, it's not like it's going to be tomorrow.
I like what Lawson is doing at Duke. Does the search committee go after a BIG name established coach, or do they look for an "up and coming" coach with a ton of potential and promise? Will compensation be a factor? :rolleyes: No doubt the list of willing candidates will be extensive.

Reaction Score
don't bother, people think that Shea will leave a power 5 Sec football money job in a great city Nashville, to go to cold Storrs, CT and play in a group of 5 conference.
Probably a better chance of having Elvis coach at UConn before someone would make that move.

sun

Reaction Score
Probably a better chance of having Elvis coach at UConn before someone would make that move.
A 1:54 welcome video shows Shea arriving at Vandy and seeing her office for the 1st time.
It seems pretty cushy, and if she succeeds she will become an icon there.

Reaction Score
A 1:54 welcome video shows Shea arriving at Vandy and seeing her office for the 1st time.
It seems pretty cushy, and if she succeeds she will become an icon there.

Yeah her office is nicer than Geno's. That's what being one of the top academic institutions on the planet buys. Being in the top athletic conference probably doesn't hurt either. Plus isn't she from the south? There is no good reason you give up a gig like that if you can be successful there. If down the line a Stanford or Duke comes calling then that's probably a call you have to take, but there aren't too many of those jobs out there.

Reaction Score
In the event that Geno needed to be permanently replaced due to unforeseen circumstances, who would be your current favorite candidate to replace him?

This is not about selecting an interim HC, but rather a permanent replacement under a multi-year contract.

IMHO, since Jennifer Rizzotti has reestablished her presence close to Storrs, Connecticut as the President of the Connecticut Sun, it has seemingly placed her in close geographic proximity to easily become Geno's replacement if and when that becomes necessary.
That could work out a number of different ways, and may never even happen, but she's my favorite candidate for the HC job at this time.
IMHO it's too early and unnecessary to discuss Geno's replacement at this point in time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom