Poll: Who Wins : TN or SC - Game Thread [MERGED THREAD] | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Poll: Who Wins : TN or SC - Game Thread [MERGED THREAD]

Tonight's winner will be:

• Tennessee

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 96 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
There is no way SC is losing to Tenn- #1 Tenn has won against good teams without strong front courts, SC will crush them down there;#2 Tenn struggles on the road against good team, #3 SC is very good at home. #4 Dawn Staley will not be out coached by Holly. #5 SC has enough Guard play to offset DD.
REALLY???

Reaction Score
Diamond was coming off a severe leg injury last season and a major surgery. She's finally gotten back close to full health and her athleticism is now on full display. She also had torn ligaments in her shooting hand this season. Injuries definitely impact performance.

Her track record thus far is 3 Elite 8s. Not bad for the early part of her career and she's definitely improved.

How many "Elite 8's" ?
You're not counting the year she had to sit out because she transferred , are you ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Diamond was coming off a severe leg injury last season and a major surgery. She's finally gotten back close to full health and her athleticism is now on full display. She also had torn ligaments in her shooting hand this season. Injuries definitely impact performance.
Her track record thus far is 3 Elite 8s. Not bad for the early part of her career and she's definitely improved.
I could understand why you would want to FF to Diamond's tournament play and gloss right over the regular season, so I feel obligated to point out that that in 2 full season of being healthy DD led teams have averaged 12 losses per season. Almost half (11) of the 24 losses were to unranked teams. There is nothing elite about that kind of regular season record.

Reaction Score
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Here's a few. She also liked a couple of shady posts.
I can only imagine! Anything appropriate for sharing here? You might want to check with moderators first.

Reaction Score

I do understand Diamond was injured.... I guess I have the question if she is still hampered by injury why then is she playing. It would seem that playing would not be in her best interest....

And Mercedes, who had injury problems with her feet.... she had told the press a year later that she was definitely 100 percent, but did not come to play some nights....

I am not a TN hater, but i am a skeptic... it just seems that there are many excuses.... and injuries is one of those excuses....

One real injury bummer is the one to Tea .... You guys really need help back at that position... and WCBB is a guard's game..... the sooner she returns the better for you

Reaction Score
How many "Elite 8's" ?
You're not counting the year she had to sit out because she transferred , are you ?
I feel like Nicky Negative.... but I must say that there is nothing "elite" about the "Elite 8" in WCBB.... the men yes, the women no.... the talent pool is not that deep....

TN, SC, ND, Baylor etc... should EXPECT to make the E
"Elite 8" every year... JMO

Reaction Score
think i got a clear shot of it, 52 steps in front of Nared and there is contact at the knees.

This still is the best evidence I've seen yet that it really was not a bad call. Here, it clearly looks like Nared's path was impeded. The replay ESPNW is showing online today is from this same angle, but because the Nared is in front of the SC player, you can't really see how contact is initiated while the players are in motion.

Last night, seconds before signing off, ESPN showed the replay one time from a different camera that was on the other side of the court, further behind the players. That angle showed the space between them, and you could see the defensive player initiating contact with Nared (although Nared did cozy up to her to help draw the foul for sure). I posted at the time from that from other angle, it looked much more like a legitimate blocking foul, as called. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
For your sake I wish I could agree with you. Last year I thought Morgan would be better off staying, but she left. I think it's a "fan" thing. We're looking for what we believe is best for our team, while claiming that it would be best for the player.

I now believe that any young woman who has the choice to leave or stay will most likely leave IF she has reason to believe she will be drafted in the first round. If Mercedes looks as good for the rest of the season as she did last night, she may well go in the first round. We'll see.

I get that. I think Mercedes will do good in the WNBA. I did read a post by Maria about both players. She said both want to have a impact on this program. I think with the potential of next year's team to be great. It also may effect the decision both make. Like you said we will see.

Reaction Score
Russell's not ready for the W she hasn't gone a game this year without getting multiple blocks by players shorter than 6'. She would be better in developing a face up game. She's one dynamic. Idk if Diamond leaves she still aiming for a POY trophy, she stays for accolades.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I understand that both Diamond and Mercedes. Will wait until after the season to decide. Just think if both did come back. The Cooper back and the class coming in. How good Tennessee can be.
One question- is Holly still the coach? Moot point to ponder...

Reaction Score
Here we go: Tenn to Challenge UConn for National Supremacy. Sheesh! Tennessee Women's Basketball: Back on Track to Challenge UConn for National Supremacy
Wow what is this guy thinking? On the basis of one victory..... TN should be anointed the top challenger to UConn... I agree if you look at their roster this is true... but the way they have been playing.......

They beat Notre Dame.... they beat South Carolina... It should be noted that both those teams put forth bad performances on those nights .... Just stating fact.... and after ND victory, when TN ran off the court like they just won the Natty, they promptly lost to powerhouse Auburn the next game....

If the team plays like it did last night.... and does so consistently, then the onus is on the coaching staff to produce..... and this has never happened.... Holly still has the training wheels on in the eyes of many in Vol Nation "Oh she is just starting to come into her own"... (after 6 years and 30 as asst coach).....

Good performance by the Lady Vols last night yes, especially Diamond... but as for the article... give me a sportswriter with a complete set of genes and chromosomes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just curious if any of you Gamecock fans were in attendance. Was their a hug in the handshake line between Gray and Deshields? Or a simple high five and keep it moving? Or a chortle between the two about the downfall of UNC WCBB since they left? :cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I get that. I think Mercedes will do good in the WNBA. I did read a post by Maria about both players. She said both want to have a impact on this program. I think with the potential of next year's team to be great. It also may effect the decision both make. Like you said we will see.

upload_2017-1-31_23-58-15.jpeg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow what is this guy thinking? On the basis of one victory..... TN should be anointed the top challenger to UConn... I agree if you look at their roster this is true... but the way they have been playing..

They beat Notre Dame.... they beat South Carolina... It should be noted that both those teams put forth bad performances on those nights .... Just stating fact.... and after ND victory, when TN ran off the court like they just won the Natty, they promptly lost to powerhouse Auburn the next game....

If the team plays like it did last night.... and does so consistently, then the onus is on the coaching staff to produce..... and this has never happened.... Holly still has the training wheels on in the eyes of many in Vol Nation "Oh she is just starting to come into her own"... (after 6 years and 30 as asst coach).....

Good performance by the Lady Vols last night yes, especially Diamond... but as for the article... give me a sportswriter with a complete set of genes and chromosomes.
geesh, give the kids some credit...

FACTS? if the put forth good performances they would have won... duh, thats the way the ball bounce or the cookie crumble. I guess SMU, East Carolina, and Tulsa along with Houston put forth bad performances as well

kanye_shrug1_400x400.png

Reaction Score
geesh, give the kids some credit...

FACTS? if the put forth good performances they would have won... duh, thats the way the ball bounce or the cookie crumble. I guess SMU, East Carolina, and Tulsa along with Houston put forth bad performances as well

kanye_shrug1_400x400.png

If you are taking issue with the highlighted passage only..... that ND and SC played less than stellar games.... i will stand by that opinion.... I may be wrong ... it is only an opinion.... and i put a lot of the onus on Muffet and Dawn..... Muffet looked out of sorts with her team.... definitely un-Muffet-like..... and Dawn... I thought she left the bigs on the bench too long, and why call your last TO with just under a minute left..... and why keep fouling the 90% FT shooter?

As for how TN played in both these games I believe I gave them proper credit.... they played well and I was happy to see the turnovers were down....

Daddy Choc.... i hope you agree mostly with the rest of what I said..... the sportswriter who says Tenn is now the main challenger to UConn? He really needs a complimentary lobotomy . On the basis of one upset victory they should be anointed this? They put up a graphic that showed TN hadn't had a top 5 road victory in 10 years... In 10 years!!! And if they are to follow up a ND victory with an Auburn loss 3 nights later, what is the point of a grand celebration?

And Holly, what is there to say? I just keep hearing .... We quick shot the ball.... we dribbled always too close to the sidelines and couldn't break the press... the players didn't get down in the defensive stance... the other team just outworked us tonight.... But with these last 2 victories..... the faithful support her.... she out coached Muffet... she out coached Dawn.... it is tough taking over for a legend (she is in her 6th year as acting or actual head coach, with 30 plus years of asst coaching sitting next to the best in the business).... she has had a tough time with injuries (all 6 years?)..... and my favorite "she is just starting to come into her own".... she will be on social security soon, so i hope she solidifies her skills soon....

Again, my opinion is just that.... I could be wrong.... but ...while giving the LVs ample credit, which they deserve.... I still think that ND and SC did not put forth their best showing.... Good luck to you and the LVs the rest of the year.... and everyone else for that matter.....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you are taking issue with the highlighted passage only..... that ND and SC played less than stellar games.... i will stand by that opinion.... I may be wrong ... it is only an opinion.... and i put a lot of the onus on Muffet and Dawn..... Muffet looked out of sorts with her team.... definitely un-Muffet-like..... and Dawn... I thought she left the bigs on the bench too long, and why call your last TO with just under a minute left..... and why keep fouling the 90% FT shooter?

As for how TN played in both these games I believe I gave them proper credit.... they played well and I was happy to see the turnovers were down....

Daddy Choc.... i hope you agree mostly with the rest of what I said..... the sportswriter who says Tenn is now the main challenger to UConn? He really needs a complimentary lobotomy . On the basis of one upset victory they should be anointed this? They put up a graphic that showed TN hadn't had a top 5 road victory in 10 years... In 10 years!!! And if they are to follow up a ND victory with an Auburn loss 3 nights later, what is the point of a grand celebration?

And Holly, what is there to say? I just keep hearing .... We quick shot the ball.... we dribbled always too close to the sidelines and couldn't break the press... the players didn't get down in the defensive stance... the other team just outworked us tonight.... But with these last 2 victories..... the faithful support her.... she out coached Muffet... she out coached Dawn.... it is tough taking over for a legend (she is in her 6th year as acting or actual head coach, with 30 plus years of asst coaching sitting next to the best in the business).... she has had a tough time with injuries (all 6 years?)..... and my favorite "she is just starting to come into her own".... she will be on social security soon, so i hope she solidifies her skills soon....

Again, my opinion is just that.... I could be wrong.... but ...while giving the LVs ample credit, which they deserve.... I still think that ND and SC did not put forth their best showing.... Good luck to you and the LVs the rest of the year.... and everyone else for that matter.....
nah I was just talking about an "off night" for ND and SC... you don't think anyone helped create that "off night", I do, Tennessee Lady Vols. According to everyone here even on a "off night" we expected South Carolina and Notre Dame to beat Tennessee

I'll let them celebrate however they want, UConn celebrate when they win (pats and hi-fives etc.) and dont let Molly or Irwin make a basket geesh. All while up by 50. So yeah I have no problem with unranked Tenn beating a top 5 team (SCar or ND) and dancing their lil heads off.

All the other coaching stuff I didnt even read... I dont care about all that but the young ladies on the court with bruises, blackeyes and bumps I respect so yeah a win is a win and how you celebrate is your thing,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom