Poll: Who will step up on offense? | The Boneyard

Poll: Who will step up on offense?

Who will step up OFFENSIVELY while Paige is recovering from her injury?

• Amari DeBerry (curve ball!)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Caroline Ducharme

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Aaliyah Edwards

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Dorka Juhasz

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Mir McLean

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Evina Westbrook

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • Christyn Williams

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Piath Gabriel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nika Muhl

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Got my own thoughts but would like to know everyone else’s. I’m assuming Olivia continues her fine play and Azzi and Aubrey remain sidelined.

PvP

Reaction Score
Got my own thoughts but would like to know everyone else’s. I’m assuming Olivia continues her fine play.
How could you have neglected to add Azzi to your list? Out of sight, out of mind?

Reaction Score
I think Caroline (and Azzi when health) both are capable of averaging double figures with significant (20-25+ MPG) playing time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO, stepping up does not necessarily mean scoring more. In Paige’s absence, more than anything else, UConn needs leadership. The best person to fill that role is “Mom” or “Grandma” for the freshmen. UConn needs Evina to lead.

Reaction Score
Based on the sample size we’ve seen from this team (freshmen excluded), I’m not overly confident that anyone will step up. We shall see. The games will be interesting. We will learn a lot. The defense will need to be stellar for UConn to have a chance to win. Let’s roll in the ball out onto the court and see what happens.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Although we loved her performance vs ND, we cannot depend on Caroline to play as she did in that quarter. Up to that point she did nothing except turn the ball over, foul, and put up bricks. Maybe a light went off in her head, and now she will be the player that Geno has raved about in practice. I was so impressed with her performance, but lets not put pressure on her to play like Paige as I think some people expect to happen. She is still a freshman and the pressure is on the seniors, with Caroline hopefully adding scoring and rebounding to supplement our offence.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMO, stepping up does not necessarily mean scoring more. In Paige’s absence, more than anything else, UConn needs leadership. The best person to fill that role is “Mom” or “Grandma” for the freshmen. UConn needs Evina to lead.
Stepping up can mean different things to different people which is why I specified Offense for this poll

Reaction Score
Didn’t you read my OP? I assume Olivia continues her fine play. @LCConnFan
my bad............I think Ms. DeBerry has some points to contribute given the chance to participate...........how about moving Dorka outside with ONO and DeBerry up front.........I'd love to see it under the right circumstances.......

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Got my own thoughts but would like to know everyone else’s. I’m assuming Olivia continues her fine play and Azzi and Aubrey remain sidelined.
Is this the original post or an edited version? I see where people have replied but everything after "fine play" is not part of the post. It's kinda confusing.

Reaction Score
We can't count on Caroline yet but we can't count on anyone not named Paige either. The bottom line is we live and die with Caroline over the next 2 months. i think she will produce well if given the mintes. Like most players, some games she will be cold and others she will be hot. We just became a Notre Dame type team for the next 2 months. I love CW but she's a drive first player and when up against a zone, as we will start seeing even more, her game suffers. It's not like she stops trying. She's just more of a get to the basket player. I don't see anyone else who can create their own shot. I'd probably set screens for Caroline and Evina in the half court offense. Do more conventional pick and roll playmaking. We do a lot of picks but do we roll all that well currently? I don't think so. Our team wasn't configured for it but Caroline might be a different option in that regard.

Reaction Score
Nothing would make me happier than to see Olivia put this team on her back and carry them.
And she has the physical ability.
Does she have the fortitude?

Reaction Score
Edwards should see a big boost in opportunities down low and Williams will be shooting much more now. Both are capable of doing a lot more in PB absence. Caroline picked a good time to break out, she will see significant time on the wing and will see a bump in stats as well. If Westbrook plays a bunch of PG I would expect her to do well but maybe not shoot as much.

Last edited:

PvP

Reaction Score
Because Azzi is injured and not playing as well...
So you don't expect Azzi to return at any time in the next 6 - 8 weeks, I gather.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Stepping up can mean different things to different people which is why I specified Offense for this poll
I had Nika, but after see your statement I changed it to Caroline. Nika I think will be the PG and will facilitate the running of the offense and play hard nosed defense. Caroline showed what she could do in 11 minutes of play and has the best chance of stepping up with more play.

Reaction Score
As heartbroken as we all are about Paige's injury, I believe that it is a development that, paradoxically, will inure to the benefit of the team come March. Paige's contributions, relative to everyone else's, are so lopsided that the other players and Geno have grown way too reliant upon them. Her talent is so outsized that no single player will come close to assuming the role she has played. But the implication of the poll, that someone, or some group, will step up, is likely to be true, and extremely important to the team's mentality going forward. The most likely candidates are the three seniors, but others, given this opportunity and motivation, will likely contribute more than they might have done otherwise. Because of this development, I expect the team to drop a few games along the way that they likely would have otherwise won, but the team that takes the floor in March will, in my opinion ion, be muck stronger!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The poll should have permitted multiple responses, since it is nearly impossible to expect that any one player will replace (or nearly replace) Paige's points and assists.

I think the load will be shared among the other four starters, with a secondary contribution from Caroline. I am astonished to see that a plurality of the BY thinks that Caroline (based on one good game) is going to be Paige The Second.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom