Poll: who is most likely to lose crunch-time minutes | The Boneyard

Poll: who is most likely to lose crunch-time minutes

Which of these players is most likely to sit in crunch-time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like to think we have six starters this season. Unfortunately, they only allow you to play five at one time. I understand this is impossible to predict on a number of levels, but since we have nothing else to talk about for a while, who can you most imagine sitting during the most high-leverage possessions?

Reaction Score
Free throw shooting should be a key factor to make the separation. I think match-ups also will dictate. Most likely one of either Purvis or Adams will be off the court in crunch time. Which means this team could be special. JMHO

Reaction Score
It's really all situationally dependent. Are we winning and just need to make free throws? Maybe Purvis sits. Are we down big and need to make threes to get back into it? Brimah on the bench.

The only two players I can say for sure will likely be on the floor during crunch time are Hamilton and Gibbs. Our lineup is so versatile this year, that we really have a lot of different looks we can throw at teams.

Reaction Score
Let's say it's the start of overtime - for the sake of argument, try to eliminate all situational variables.

Reaction Score
Assuming Adams is what we think he is, Purvis seems like the most likely candidate to lose minutes down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Let's say it's the start of overtime - for the sake of argument, try to eliminate all situational variables.
It's tough to say given that we haven't seen three of our projected top six in a UConn uniform, but I'd imagine that early in the season either Adams or Miller would sit.

I imagine the constants in that scenario would be Gibbs, Hamilton, and Brimah. Hamilton's versatility could really lead to lineups with any two of the other three (Purvis, Adams, Miller). If Miller's defensive and rebounding are what it's touted to be, he'll likely be in the lineup as well.

If anything, this exercise just demonstrates how much talent and versatility our roster has for the upcoming season. First Night can't come soon enough.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure what you are asking in this poll as of the 6 you listed, IMHO 5 are starters (Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller and Brimah) and Adams would be one of the first off the bench. I think the better question would be who would sit the most of the Calhoun, Facey, Cassell Jr., Nolan or Enosch.

As far as crunch time goes, i think it's situational. Are any of our guys in foul trouble? Are we playing a team that is super big, or super athletic, or super guard/perimeter oriented? To me that would dictate how Ollie works the players in...

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Not sure what you are asking in this poll as of the 6 you listed, IMHO 5 are starters (Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller and Brimah) and Adams would be one of the first off the bench. I think the better question would be who would sit the most of the Calhoun, Facey, Cassell Jr., Nolan or Enosch.

As far as crunch time goes, i think it's situational. Are any of our guys in foul trouble? Are we playing a team that is super big, or super athletic, or super guard/perimeter oriented? To me that would dictate how Ollie works the players in...

Enosch. If he takes some time off from playing in Germany to visit, he'll have to remain in the stands during our games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why phrase the OP that way? Why not who plays in OT?

Reaction Score
It depends on Brimah's and Purvis's development, and how ready Adams is out of the box.

If Brimah is still a rebounding liability, I can see us going small (unless the other team has a stud offensive big).
If Purvis can't be a reliable second ballhandler, it'll be Adams instead.
If Adams can't handle the pressure, we'll be forced to go with Purvis.

Reaction Score
Purvis was one of our, if not the best second half player last year. I can live with the FT shooting, unless opposing teams start fouling him on purpose to put him on the line.

Reaction Score
Posters are used to playing down expectations for freshman because so many highly regarded kids need some time. I'll predict a slow start won't be the case with Adams. I don't think I am going out on a limb at all to say Adams and Gibbs will have the game in their hands at crunch time from day 1. Adams has a history of game winning shots as does Gibbs. That is my opinion, but from another person's eyes, the New Hampton coach told a buddy of mind last weekend that Adams is one of the best players he has seen over all the years going back to his coaching of Lawrence Moten. He said Adams is a star on a team of stars that has the sense and ability to give a team scoring, passing, clutch play, and leadership just when needed. He understands what is needed in the game situation and adjusts his role to deliver. When I watch him, the kid reeks with poise and thrives vs pressure. His competition, including practice, was against the best in the country. When he does turn it over it makes him mad, he rises to the challenge, and the opposing team never ends up scoring in that possession. He blocks a lot of shots for a guard. He has, "IT".

I recall Khalid El-Amin played an early career game vs Florida St and repeatedly drove into the lane and ate the basketball from their 7' bigs. I was impressed that he never repeated that bad play. Adams might have a game where he comes up short of my inflated expectations but like Khalid, he will persevere right away. Boatright hit 3 foul shots under pressure to tie a game and send it to overtime in his first game action, it wouldn't surprise me if Adams was an early hero as well. Trust me, fans will never want to see Ollie take him out of the game. If you don't have high expectations for him then you haven't seen him in person enough.

I don't like the taste of crow so I hope I'm right

Reaction Score
I suspect if Brimah can improve his defensive rebounding that the lone man out would be Miller. It really is a tough call for KO.

Gibbs: Senior and clutch
Adams: Read @Ricker 's post
Purvis: Team leader, one of our best 2nd half players last year
Hamilton: future 1st rd. pick, creates offense for himself and others best on the team, excellent rebounder
Miller: top 10 def. rebounder in the nation. Excellent defender. Both key in late game situations
Brimah: people knock him here a lot but his defensive prowess is unparalleled and has won us many games (see Florida this past season as a prime example)

Reaction Score
I suspect if Brimah can improve his defensive rebounding that the lone man out would be Miller. It really is a tough call for KO.

Hamilton: future 1st rd. pick, creates offense for himself and others best on the team, excellent rebounder
Miller: top 10 def. rebounder in the nation. Excellent defender. Both key in late game situations
Brimah: people knock him here a lot but his defensive prowess is unparalleled and has won us many games (see Florida this past season as a prime example)
Gotta keep Miller in there - along with his defensive and rebounding abilities, he's coming in as the best free throw shooter on this team. Those are all extremely valuable in crunch time situations.

Reaction Score

Only problem there is Miller shot 83% I believe from the FT line and not sure you want that out at crunch time. We will need to see improvement on AB's passing and understanding to have him playing more than an experienced Miller down the stretch. It's a tough call I agree, it will more than likely be a game to game decision rather than a planned one.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It will just come down to matchups and who is playing well and who is not. If everyone is playing well, I would guess that one key will be the matchup situation with Amida. If he is effective, he plays, if not, he sits. If Rodney is struggling with FTs, he will not be in some games at crunchtime. If we're talking the start of overtime, the starters will likely start depending on foul trouble. This is an interesting problem to have and how it is resolved might have a lot to say about how good of a season our guys have. I hope that whoever sits will handle it well (even though they won't like it). If they can come together over the first half of the season with a clear floor leader, this team could be very good.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 brings up good points on free throw shooting. Purvis has two years of straight up garbage FT line numbers. I've been of the volition that adams would come in here and close games for some time now, and perhaps elevate himself as our best player at times. This leaves purv in the 'dion waiters 6th man role' (the cuse waiters, not the shot hunter nba waiters).

JA steps on campus as a legit alpha dog with a defined position, a bit like boatright but more physical tools/talent . What I love about the gibbs commitment is, he was full aware of Adams coming in and wasn't scared off.

Reaction Score
I'd go with Purvis, strictly based on free throw shooting.
Man I forgot about this. Dude better be in the gym after practice shooting 100 free throws a day...that was an embarrassment last year.

Reaction Score
Hot Rod shot 51% at NC State and 54% with us. I would have to imagine that the staff worked extensively with him in the year he had off, and you'd have to figure he focused on it. If an entire year off to practice and great coaching led to a 3% increase in his free throw shooting, then, unfortunately, the odds are probably with him never shooting a decent percentage from the line. Which is bizarre, given that he knocks down 3s at a 35% clip, presumably while being defended.

Reaction Score
Gotta keep Miller in there - along with his defensive and rebounding abilities, he's coming in as the best free throw shooter on this team. Those are all extremely valuable in crunch time situations.
Only problem there is Miller shot 83% I believe from the FT line and not sure you want that out at crunch time. We will need to see improvement on AB's passing and understanding to have him playing more than an experienced Miller down the stretch. It's a tough call I agree, it will more than likely be a game to game decision rather than a planned one.
I guess time will tell. I understand having good FT shooters in at the end game is always a plus. I just feel like if we get the RP that finished the year (again, time will tell) it will be incredibly hard to keep him off the court in crunch time - even with the FT woes.

Certainly a nice problem to have and as a few have said will most likely change game to game.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 brings up good points on free throw shooting. Purvis has two years of straight up garbage FT line numbers. I've been of the volition that adams would come in here and close games for some time now, and perhaps elevate himself as our best player at times. This leaves purv in the 'dion waiters 6th man role' (the cuse waiters, not the shot hunter nba waiters).

JA steps on campus as a legit alpha dog with a defined position, a bit like boatright but more physical tools/talent . What I love about the gibbs commitment is, he was full aware of Adams coming in and wasn't scared off.

Gibbs arguably could be 1 of the top 6 guards in the country to start the season (so correct his confidence was not an issue as he gets ready to embark on his dream season). By mid December...JA may very well get the crunch time keys w/Gibbs et al. as long as he is defending at a high level. UConn is not void of options outside of Purvis & J. "Money" Adams. Assuming 1 player in particular is healthy and mentally focused a true wildcard may hit the court this year for UConn and steal some of these so highly valued crunch time minutes. 123-162 from the charity stripe @ a career .759% is a good foundation to be put in the mix as a surprise candidate. Exciting times ahead.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you who it won't be: Jalen Adams. The kid is a stud. But I think Brimah will be the one to lose crunch time minutes. I think our crunch time lineup will be Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom