Poll: Who do you want as our Head Coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Who do you want as our Head Coach?

Who should UConn's next Head Coach be?

• Dave Clawson (Bowling Green HC)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Jeff Quinn (Buffalo HC)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Joe Moorhead (Fordham HC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pat Narduzzi (Michigan State DC)

Votes: 122 67.0%
  • Pete Lembo (Ball State HC)

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Rob Ambrose (Towson HC)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • TJ Weist (Interim UConn HC)

Votes: 35 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a perfect world where everybody is equally interested and/or we can afford them.

I did not include unreasonable choices like Nick Saban, Jim Tressel, etc. I tried to include the most-named examples but there's a limit to choices.
I voted (as did 66% of the posters) for Narduzzi. If we want to make a splash and show the big boys that we are serious about FOOTBALL, Narduzzi is the best choice..TJ should get a OC job somewhere.

Reaction Score
This whole "I want someone who wants to be here" is foolish, to me, for two reasons:

1. Anyone who takes the job here wants it; and
2. anyone who wins is going to leave, TJ or anyone, at least for the time being.

Therefore, you pick the person who can win big here, even if they leave in two or three years. Why? Because they will have won big enough to put us on the map again, and when we open the job search up again, we'd be more appealing.

Unless UConn won a series of football championships (and still, probably even then), the coach is ultimately looking for a bigger and better school with more resources. And looking for a coach who won't bail when there is success is the type of logic that gave us PP.

Take TJ if he is the best option (and there are scenarios where he legitimately may be), not because he wants it the most, or beat three teams with a combined 11-24 (5-19) record.

Reaction Score
I voted Narduzzi in earnest. However, putting all objectivity and rationale aside, shouldn't he get the job just based on his name? Narduzzi, it's a thing of beauty.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Interesting tidbit for those of us who want to see Weist be retained in some capacity, should he not get the HC job…

John Silver ‏@JohnFSilver19m
For those wondering, asked Manuel about next coach's assistants. Manuel only steps in on coaches if there is an NCAA issue.

Reaction Score
ND fan here. I'm just curious, conversation on a couple of ND boards say Diaco to UConn is pretty likely. Narduzzi seems to be the top choice here, just wondering if Diaco is getting any serious attention, or if it's just ND paranoia.

Reaction Score
ND fan here. I'm just curious, conversation on a couple of ND boards say Diaco to UConn is pretty likely. Narduzzi seems to be the top choice here, just wondering if Diaco is getting any serious attention, or if it's just ND paranoia.

In short....we have no idea. Diaco hasn't gotten a lot of buzz but that means squat.

Odds are 50/50 that we hire a guy who hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Reaction Score
I've read a number of posts from ND fans that seem to want Diaco gone. He was obviously really good last year, and seemed to be pretty good this year as well. Apparently he's a bit of a hot head (a la Bo Pelini).

Reaction Score
You can't compare choosing TJ to the choice of PP/GDL last time. They were retreads and TJ's just hitting stride.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You can't compare choosing TJ to the choice of PP/GDL last time. They were retreads and TJ's just hitting stride.

FWIW, I'd pick TJ over PP or any of the other finalists from the last go 'round, and I didn't even know him then.

Reaction Score
I've read a number of posts from ND fans that seem to want Diaco gone. He was obviously really good last year, and seemed to be pretty good this year as well. Apparently he's a bit of a hot head (a la Bo Pelini).

He was considered a rising star last year. Defense definately took a step back this year. A lot of ND fans think its just an indication of how much the team relied on Manti Teo.

Reaction Score
He was considered a rising star last year. Defense definately took a step back this year. A lot of ND fans think its just an indication of how much the team relied on Manti Teo.
They got hit with the injury bug on D this year and lost a fair amount of starters from last years team....besides the QB problems were the bigger issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The one question I have concerning TJ Weist as the head coach would be who does he retain and add to his staff

Reaction Score
If you look at the way WM interviewed to replace Marshall as hockey coach...there are a lot of similarities here with the candidate list. You have the successful HC guys in Lembo and Clawson who have a track record (Gwozdecky) and you have the top flight Asst coaches/Associate HC guys like Narduzzi, Diaco, and Herman (Cavanaugh). I said it early on in this process right after P was fired that Manual's m/o hiring coaches both here at UCONN and at Buffalo is that he tends to go for the top flight Asst who had a big hand in the building of a prominent program. IMHO they shake out like this right now
1) Narduzzi
2/3) Diaco and Herman (interchangeable)
4/5) Lembo/Clawson (if he is interviewed)

Reaction Score
3 wins is all you need to be a folk hero these days? Paul Bunyan ain't impressed, that's for sure.

I still appreciate the job TJW did but if he is so well liked, where are all the coaches/players stepping up to support him (like Berard in Hockey or KO)?

Hmmmmmm makes you wonder, no?

image.jpg

Reaction Score
3 wins is all you need to be a folk hero these days? Paul Bunyan ain't impressed, that's for sure.

I still appreciate the job TJW did but if he is so well liked, where are all the coaches/players stepping up to support him (like Berard in Hockey or KO)?

Dude, 0-12 is a HUGE difference compared to 3-9. Had it not been for TJ and his wisdom, our overall all-time record would be 38 under .500 instead of 32. We were 22 games under when Pasqualoni was hired. Hockey is a great sport, just not anywhere as nearly as important as the pageantry that is football in conference realignment. Most of us would be clinically depressed until next fall if it was not for these 3 wins.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your insight Mrs DeLeone. Say hi to George for us.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Weist get a shot here instead of having to face him a couple years up the road as I feel he will eventually make a great head coach if he gets into the right situation. My only concern is can he recruit or hire guys that can recruit lineman capable of competing at the top 25 level. I'm sure he can recruit wide receivers and QB's but the line is where the game is won and lost and the Huskies struggle there. Now before people start chirping about how great past offensive lines were let me ask this... how many offensive lineman has UConn put into the NFL over the years? Lets get a guy in here that can not only put linebackers in the NFL but a few lineman too.

Reaction Score
3 Linemen in the NFL. Beatty, Donald Thomas, and Zach Hurd. Respectable number.

Reaction Score
3 Linemen in the NFL. Beatty, Donald Thomas, and Zach Hurd. Respectable number.
You forgot Ryan Krug, guard(New England Patriots), Pete Rostosky, tackle(Steelers 84-86) and the legendary center Martin "Red" O'Niel(Hartford Blues 1926)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom