Poll: Who do you want as our Head Coach? | The Boneyard

Poll: Who do you want as our Head Coach?

Who should UConn's next Head Coach be?

• Dave Clawson (Bowling Green HC)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Jeff Quinn (Buffalo HC)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Joe Moorhead (Fordham HC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pat Narduzzi (Michigan State DC)

Votes: 122 67.0%
  • Pete Lembo (Ball State HC)

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Rob Ambrose (Towson HC)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • TJ Weist (Interim UConn HC)

Votes: 35 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a perfect world where everybody is equally interested and/or we can afford them.

I did not include unreasonable choices like Nick Saban, Jim Tressel, etc. I tried to include the most-named examples but there's a limit to choices.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've moved Herman (not on the list) to my first choice but I think we could do well with any of the above (I would cringe with Ambrose however).

Of the above my order would be Narduzzi, Lembo, Clawson, Quinn, TJ, Moorehead, Ambrose.

Reaction Score
I voted for Narduzzi. I think he brings massive credibility after their B1g win last night. (as does his whole body of work). He could certainly wait another year or two for a good P5 job to open, so if he said yes to us it would mean a lot to outsiders.

I'm off the, TJ for HC wagon, as my emotion has subsided. I would not piss and moan if he were chosen, but there must be a more seasoned choice out there. I still stand by the TJ over Ambrose and Moorehead choice.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Narduzzi is my top choice. In a perfect Dooley world, Narduzzi would be named HC and Weist would be retained as OC/WR coach. If we can't get Narduzzi, I'd rank them:

Lembo
Clawson
Weist (if we can't get any of the top 3, I'd give the job to Weist over Quinn, Ambrose or Moorhead)

Of course, this doesn't take into account the potential for a "surprise" name to emerge.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At this moment, with no other information.

1. Narduzzi
2. Clawson
3. Lembo
4. TJ

I wouldn't accept any of the others. I think Clawson/Lembo are interchangable, but I picked Clawson. The idea that he was fired by Kiffin can only be a plus, and I like that he whipped a clearly more talented NIU team, something Lembo hasn't been able to do, though Lembo's body of work is better as he beat a lot of teams that PP just couldn't. As for TJ, I think he could beat out either Clawson or Lembo based on an interview, but I think Narduzzi's resume is tough to overcome if he wants the job and WM likes him. So long as TJ wins the job on merit, I don't have a problem with it, unless WM is planning to bolt somewhere himself. WM would be putting is own neck on the line earlier with TJ than with the others. An improvement next years is certain, right? So, the referendum on TJ comes in 2015 whereas, if comes in 2016 for anyone else. It's safer for WM to pick someone else.

I am also inclined to slot a mystery coach somewhere within these four, probably in line with Lembo. I am sure there are more than these four under serious consideration.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I've moved Herman (not on the list) to my first choice but I think we could do well with any of the above (I would cringe with Ambrose however).

Of the above my order would be Narduzzi, Lembo, Clawson, Quinn, TJ, Moorehead, Ambrose.

The problem with Herman is this, he's in Meyer's shadow and he's not recruiting Braxton Miller to UConn. Rather have a guy that succeeds without top 10 recruiting classes. Not a default no, but it's a serious concern that I hold.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm thinking more along the success he had at Texas St., Rice and Iowa St. He didn't have Braxton Miller on those squads either.

Reaction Score
Weird. I just voted for someone other than Narduzzi (though he would be fine) and it registered a vote for Narduzzi. I am sure it was my goof up.

Reaction Score
It's not a question of who I want but more what I want that person to do (win). Regardless, if I was hiring, my preferences would be ordered like this:

1) Herman
2) Lembo
3) Clawson
4) Narduzzi
5) Weist
6) Ambrose

Reaction Score
Narduzzi, Clawson, Lembo, Weist, Moorhead in that order...the other 2 don't make my list.

Reaction Score
Clawson has been my choice since mid season. Seen nothing lately that would move me off of that. TJ definitely moved ahead of guys and I would say now of the names mentioned, I'd rank him fourth on my list of choices behind Clawson, Narduzzi, and Lembo.

Reaction Score
I chose Narduzzi with the hope that we could retain Weist, Mike Foley and Shane Day. With any success, Narduzzi is a temporary stay and Weist will have had ample time to prove himself as a recruiter and OC. I watched the entire BG/ NIU game Friday night (which I didn't expect to do) because it was very entertaining to watch BG's style of play and the energy and enthusiasm displayed by the team and Clawson. Clawson has a history of recruiting nationally and has had success building programs. He would already have a head start as I think our talent is better than some think. On the other hand, I saw similar energy and and enthusiasm from our Huskies. I realize it was Memphis and not NIU, but I can not remember a Uconn coach being so connected to his players as Weist has displayed - not even from Edsall. What I like better about Clawson is that he is a proven winner whereas Weist is a promising potential winner. I thought BG's style of play was similar to ours so it would also be my hope that we could retain our offensive coaches, although realizing Clawson would most likely insist on his own people. So my choices would be:

1. Narduzzi
2. Clawson
3. Lembo
4. Herman

Foremost, I am for what ever it takes to retain T.J. Weist. I really like him, but not as head coach at this time.

Reaction Score
1. Narduzzi (ideally keeping TJ, Shane Day and Mike Foley)
2. Mullins
3. Clawson
4. Weist (assuming would have more dollars to upgrade some ACs)
5. Lembo
6. DeRuyter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with Herman is this, he's in Meyer's shadow and he's not recruiting Braxton Miller to UConn. Rather have a guy that succeeds without top 10 recruiting classes. Not a default no, but it's a serious concern that I hold.

I wasn't impressed with Ohio State's offense. Miller just doing a lot of running. I'm not ready for the Kivon Taylor era, not while we have Cochran.

Addazio was also a Meyer guy and he sent Boyle packing because he is not a runner. Our next coach can't be a system guy that blows everything up like P.

Reaction Score
Narduzzi, Clawson/Herman/Lembo, Weist, Quinn, Moorhead, Ambrose out of the proposed list.

Now, if Mullins tires of the whacks down south and wanted to come back to Northeast or if Cristobal jumps worried that Saban may jump - all previous bets are off. Still intrigued about DeRutyer is there was any serious interest.

Reaction Score
Narduzzi, Clawson/Herman/Lembo, Weist, Quinn, Moorhead, Ambrose out of the proposed list.

Now, if Mullins tires of the whacks down south and wanted to come back to Northeast or if Cristobal jumps worried that Saban may jump - all previous bets are off. Still intrigued about DeRutyer is there was any serious interest.

Lembo's offense (short, quick passes) fits us better than Herman's offense. Plus Lembo has been a head coach for a long time.

Reaction Score
i voted Narduzzi. Not only would we get one of the (or the) top coordinator in the country, but we'd be taking him from the B1G.
I think that would open a lot of eyes in the B1G and nationally. And if would feed into the idea that we are on the B1G's short list if there is any expansion in the near future. Granted, this might just be feeding my idea and no one else's, but we can dream can't we?
and like others have said I think it would be great for TJ, Day and Foley to stay if possible. Narduzzi does is thing and our offensive guys do there thing and give some continuity to the current returning players especially Cochran.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is my concern with Narduzzi. I think he's got the most clout of the candidates due to his B1G experience, etc...but how much would we have for him to bring in top level coordinators? He's a hot name and my guess is it's going to take at least 2 mill to get him here. What's left then to hire good coordinators?

Not saying TJ is the best choice but if we went that route I'd think we'd get him for a lot less and have more cash to splurge on coordinators. Too often everyone thinks it's all about the HC but many times it's all about who the people under the HC is that are the most important.

Reaction Score
This is my concern with Narduzzi. I think he's got the most clout of the candidates due to his B1G experience, etc...but how much would we have for him to bring in top level coordinators? He's a hot name and my guess is it's going to take at least 2 mill to get him here. What's left then to hire good coordinators?

Not saying TJ is the best choice but if we went that route I'd think we'd get him for a lot less and have more cash to splurge on coordinators. Too often everyone thinks it's all about the HC but many times it's all about who the people under the HC is that are the most important.
I would hope that when Warde Manuel says that money won't stop them from hiring the right candidate he also means that guy will be able to bring in the staff that he needs to do the proper job.

Reaction Score
I wasn't impressed with Ohio State's offense. Miller just doing a lot of running. I'm not ready for the Kivon Taylor era, not while we have Cochran.

Addazio was also a Meyer guy and he sent Boyle packing because he is not a runner. Our next coach can't be a system guy that blows everything up like P.

Again, you're just looking at a fraction of the whole picture. Herman had plenty of success at Rice and Iowa State (especially Rice) with a different kind of offense that didn't involve using a lot of running from the quarterback position.

Obviously they're going to change their scheme to fit what a guy like Braxton Miller does best. That's what good coaches do.

Reaction Score
I posted a separate thread for discussion but IF it's accurate a few lists may need revising ;):

"CoachingSearch.com has learned that Bowling Green head coach Dave Clawson is not in play at UConn."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom