Poll: Which two coaches Geno meant | The Boneyard

Poll: Which two coaches Geno meant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said twice that it was not Calhoun or Summit.
He later said he still competes against them.
So, taking him at his woird, what are your guesses?
My Guesses:
Quentin Hillsman - Syracuse
CViv - Rutgers

Muffett is a possibility.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno has never feuded with Muffet. By all accounts they like each other a lot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
He said twice that it was not Calhoun or Summit.
He later said he still competes against them.
So, taking him at his woird, what are your guesses?
My Guesses:
Quentin Hillsman - Syracuse
CViv - Rutgers

Muffett is a possibility.
Sounds like a good guess. Unless he has an undying grudge against the Georgetown coach who gave him his first loss back in 1986.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I would originally guessed Summit and Landers, Can't think of anyone else he has come out against. He and Tara have made up, maybe Brenda? Could be CV as she's very unlikable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought the woman was Pat. Not sure about the guy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would originally guessed Summit and Landers, Can't think of anyone else he has come out against. He and Tara have made up, maybe Brenda? Could be CV as she's very unlikable.

Could someone school me on the story of Landers/Geno ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought the woman was Pat. Not sure about the guy.

I thought Summitt and Calhoun and still think that despite Geno's denials. Jordan interviewed Geno in May 2011, before Summitt's diagnosis and in the middle of the Jeff Hathaway/Calhoun drama. Hathaway and Geno are good friends. Almost a year later, and given the news about Summitt and the hiring of a new Athletic Director, I can understand why Geno might want to deny and advance.

JS

Reaction Score
I thought Summitt and Calhoun and still think that
You're a wise woman, Wise Woman. That's who an interviewer would ask him about, and that's who he meant.

As far as the other speculations, process of elimination.

I think he mostly gets along fine with CViv, depending of course on who she is and what she's comprehensibly saying at a given time.

I've heard from people in the know that his relations with Muffet are good.

Like Triad, I never heard of any problem with Landers, although the orange ones tried to blame him for the ridiculous Maya's Ride to the Naismith charge fiasco.

Don't think, despite a player incident or two, that he has enough history with Q. to have a problem with him or be asked about one.

He's just starting a series with Brenda. Nothing there other than a tussle over a recruit back in the day and no reason to believe he thought there was anything untoward about it.

And far as I know, he has no issues with Olde Coach.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and guess "that guy" might be John Calipari. I've seen Geno interviewed a few times where he was asked something about Calipari and his facial expression included a smile through clenched teeth and his comments were both measured and ambiguous as possible. Geno doesn't do measured and ambiguous...so it caught my attention and struck me as odd.

Add to that the trail of NCAA violations Calipari has left behind him wherever he's coached (might have been what Geno meant about the "d*#k"..."getting a lot of people in trouble") with Marcus Camby @UMass, Memphis, et al. Calipari is also a PA gumba, so there may be a back story there as well?

Reaction Score
Do you think there was any bad blood with Matthew Mitchell over the Walker transfer? He was also part of the "Evil Empire"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has never feuded with Muffet. By all accounts they like each other a lot.
Absolutely. She is part of his "Philly Gang" and has been one of his best friends for close to 30 years.

Reaction Score
I can't believe it would be Andy Landers. There are lots of people who may
have issues with him as a coach, but I am unaware of anyone who has a
problem with him as a person. I've always thought Andy was one of the
good guys.

Reaction Score
I can't believe it would be Andy Landers. There are lots of people who may
have issues with him as a coach, but I am unaware of anyone who has a
problem with him as a person. I've always thought Andy was one of the
good guys.
AS long as we're guessing, I guess Rene Portland and can't remember the male assistant coach, I think from Georetown who gave him the dead fish handshake

Reaction Score
AS long as we're guessing, I guess Rene Portland and can't remember the male assistant coach, I think from Georetown who gave him the dead fish handshake
I think the male assistant dead fish hand shake was Al Brown at Tennessee. Now assistant at Duke. Geno's never liked Al Brown and accused him of spying on his team in his book.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I can't believe it would be Andy Landers. There are lots of people who may have issues with him as a coach, but I am unaware of anyone who has a problem with him as a person. I've always thought Andy was one of the good guys.
I agree. I don't think they have a problem with one another. At the last championship dinner, Geno related a story where he was having a conversation with Andy Landers, who remarked, "That kid from Indiana is pretty good after all". He made it sound like the two of them chat, which would make them friends, IMO.

Reaction Score
I think the male assistant dead fish hand shake was Al Brown at Tennessee. Now assistant at Duke. Geno's never liked Al Brown and accused him of spying on his team in his book.
Thanks, that's him. In the day there was no rule against going to another teams practice ( no longer) and Al Brown would show up with
a legal pad and fill several sheets watching us .Geno called a time out once and had his team run several plays that UC hadn't run for
years

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I assume this spying went on while he was at Tennessee... obviously it hasnt happened while he has been at Duke :(

Reaction Score
I agree. I don't think they have a problem with one another. At the last championship dinner, Geno related a story where he was having a conversation with Andy Landers, who remarked, "That kid from Indiana is pretty good after all". He made it sound like the two of them chat, which would make them friends, IMO.
Wasn't Andy Landers the one who steered Ketia Swanee and Geno towards each other?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Could someone provide a link to whatever quote by Geno is being discussed here?

TIA

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Could someone provide a link to whatever quote by Geno is being discussed here?

TIA
Quote: "So I ask him about two rival coaches, a man and a woman with whom he's been feuding for years. Of the woman he says, "Aw, come on, why ruin it. We're having fun. I'm not gonna sleep with her." Of the man he says: "He's a dick. He gets people in trouble." I point to my tape recorder on his desk. " it," he says. "You figure it out." And then, "Go with your instinct." (Later I asked the local sportswriter if he spent all his time protecting Geno from his own uncensored tirades. The sportswriter gave me a small smile and said, "Don't kid yourself. Geno knows what he's saying. He's testing you, to see if he can trust you. Geno never says anything that isn't pretty well thought out to get a certain reaction.")"

http://deadspin.com/5895516/geno-auriemma-mr-womens-basketball

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In Jeff Jacobs article today Geno makes it clear he was not speaking of either Pat Summitt or Jim Calhoun.

JS

Reaction Score
I assume this spying went on while he was at Tennessee... obviously it hasnt happened while he has been at Duke :(
Sure it did.

That was the practice where Geno kept running the statute of liberty play, and the guy took notes the whole time.

Reaction Score

I, too, assumed Rene Portland. As for the man, you've all got better guesses than I.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Sorta wished he'd either 1) said the names straight out or 2) said "no need to discuss it." 'cause right now is sounds like the kind of "If only you knew the stuff I knew" bull that becomes fodder for unpleasant speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom