POLL: where does LeBron James rank all-time when his career is done? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

POLL: where does LeBron James rank all-time when his career is done?

Where do you think LeBron will rank among the all-time greats once he's finished?

• G.O.A.T

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Top five all-time

Votes: 59 61.5%
  • Top ten all-time

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Top 15 all-time

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Outside the top 15

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LeBron has a decent chance of becoming the all-time NBA leader in points by the time his career is over. If he wins two more MVPs the rest of his career (which seems likely at this point) he'll tie for the all-time lead. And he's likely to end up in the top 5-10 in all-time assists... and he's a forward!

This is all assuming he stays healthy and can maintain close to his current level of production for at leas the next few years, but he's far and away the best player in the league right now and has been healthy his entire career.

However, it's near impossible to make these kind of comparisons in the middle of LeBron's career. He's squarely in his prime and we have no idea how his career will finish. Jordan set the bar insanely high, but it's not out of reach for LeBron. Love him or hate him, if you like basketball, you have to appreciate what he's doing right now.

Yet some are anointing him #1 not top ten, not could be best ever, #1 of all time. Some of us are trying, in vain, to point out how ridiculous that statement is, though he is undeniably tremendous.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's also hard to overestimate the dumbness of people pointing out how he's not as good as Jordan when you could say that about everyone else who's ever played professional basketball.

Reaction Score
Yet some are anointing him #1 not top ten, not could be best ever, #1 of all time. Some of us are trying, in vain, to point out how ridiculous that statement is, though he is undeniably tremendous.

I agree that when trying to earn the distinction of G.O.A.T, you need the accolades to accompany the "eye test". For that reason, it's very foolish to say that LeBron is the best ever at this juncture. However, it's equally foolish to claim that there's no way that LeBron could ever be considered the best to ever play the game. He's coming off of back-to-back MVP, Championship, and Finals MVP seasons. And he's still squarely in his prime, and as scary as it is, still getting better.

Look at the chart I posted above. What Jordan did from age 29+ is amazing. Truly incredible. But LeBron has himself set up nicely going forward as well, and it's not inconceivable that he could come close to Jordan's accomplishments while already achieving more by age 28 (I know he came into the league sooner, but longevity can't be dismissed). The point is that LeBron is going to be in the discussion if he keeps up his current career trajectory.

Reaction Score
"Things are more sophisticated. But its a fallacy to suggest that players today are "better.""
Alright dude, think about this fact. I think David Stern would back me. Basketball as a sport is at least 10 times more popular worldwide than it was in the 80s and at least twice as popular as 10 years ago. The pool of players from around the world dwarfs the amount of players 30-20 years ago. The competition to get in the league is much harder and so on. Im stayin out of the Lebron argument but the quality of the league is no doubt better now.

Reaction Score
Think about where someone like Vince Carter was at LeBron's age and where he is now. (Just to play Devil's Advocate)

Reaction Score
Think about where someone like Vince Carter was at LeBron's age and where he is now. (Just to play Devil's Advocate)
Aside from that whole two NBA Finals MVPs by 28, their careers were practically identical.

Reaction Score
Aside from that whole two NBA Finals MVPs by 28, their careers were practically identical.

That and the 4x League MVP. Jesus. Lebron is so far ahead of Carter its not even funny.

Reaction Score
I know he has a long way to go, but I really don't understand when people say that there's no way that LeBron can become the G.O.A.T. I love this chart:

JPqBgnq.jpg

Jordan must have been a huge choke artist. 3 straight first round exits. That guy sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
It is too soon to know, of course. I think a lot will depend on keeping the supporting cast up to snuff. They got a little lucky this year by going too old with the role players (Ray, Battier, Miller, Rashrad Lewis, Haslem) - I wonder if the young legs of the Thunder might have been too much.

As for LeBron, I think it is at least somewhat pertinent to remember that Jordan six years into his career had a reputation as a guy who was just a scorer, wasn't a winner, didn't make his teammates better, etc. People said he would never be mentioned in the same breath as Bird and Magic. However, basically winning six titles in a row (with baseball getting in the way), is a virtually impossible standard.

Reaction Score
Ben Wallace was only 6'9" and he was able to cause Shaq all sorts of problems.
Actually Shaq shot 63% against Wallace in that Finals series. It was KobeMe's need to dominate the ball that allowed Detroit to win.

Reaction Score
Ben Wallace was only 6'9" and he was able to cause Shaq all sorts of problems.

Ben Wallace was 6'9 with his 'fro.......probably 6'7.........

And Wes Unseld could have given Shaq fits too and was a tremendous rebounder/player depsite his size. Cowens also would've loved d'ing him up!!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Here is a link to the espn poll of the top 20 all-time greats in the NBA with 14,000+ having voted:

Poll results

You have to pick to get to the results and they pick the 20, you have to order them. I point this out in part to show that picking Stockton ahead of Thomas is not so outlandish as some suggest. Obviously, this is just opinion of the masses.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Lebron likely defines this decade of the NBA. If it was Bird-Magic in the 80s, Jordan in the 90s and Kobe in the aughts, that's still rare atmosphere.,

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It is too soon to know, of course. I think a lot will depend on keeping the supporting cast up to snuff. They got a little lucky this year by going too old with the role players (Ray, Battier, Miller, Rashrad Lewis, Haslem) - I wonder if the young legs of the Thunder might have been too much.

As for LeBron, I think it is at least somewhat pertinent to remember that Jordan six years into his career had a reputation as a guy who was just a scorer, wasn't a winner, didn't make his teammates better, etc. People said he would never be mentioned in the same breath as Bird and Magic. However, basically winning six titles in a row (with baseball getting in the way), is a virtually impossible standard.

Funny thing is, I think baseball helped MJ's legacy. People just assume he would have won those two titles and MVP's. Not a horrible assumption either.

Lebron likely defines this decade of the NBA. If it was Bird-Magic in the 80s, Jordan in the 90s and Kobe in the aughts, that's still rare atmosphere.,

I'll sign for LBJ as best of the decade (even thou it's only 2013) and the Kobe/JBL as Bird/Magic of this era (age difference aside) but I've seen him come up short too often to ever be GOAT unless you want to give him a pass for losing to the Spurs. I think the GOAT wins that series.

Reaction Score
I've seen him come up short too often to ever be GOAT unless you want to give him a pass for losing to the Spurs. I think the GOAT wins that series.

you do know the other 4 starters were sasha pavlovic, drew gooden, larry hughes and zydrunas ilgauskas right?

Reaction Score
Funny thing is, I think baseball helped MJ's legacy. People just assume he would have won those two titles and MVP's. Not a horrible assumption either.

I'll sign for LBJ as best of the decade (even thou it's only 2013) and the Kobe/JBL as Bird/Magic of this era (age difference aside) but I've seen him come up short too often to ever be GOAT unless you want to give him a pass for losing to the Spurs. I think the GOAT wins that series.

THIS is the kind of reasoning I never understand. LeBron gets criticized for losing in the Finals (granted, 2011 is justified criticism) as people cite that Jordan never lost in the Finals. But even just making it to that point was amazing as he completely carried that team and had one of the best performances of all-time against the Pistons in the previous round. And this was at the same age as when Jordan was a rookie.

MJ never made it out of the first round without Pippen. I get that it just adds to the legend of Michael Jordan that he never lost in the Finals, but shouldn't he get some criticism for not making it until he was 28? Would he be viewed less fondly in history had he made the Finals twice beforehand and then lost? Before he won his first title, MJ was considered someone who could never win the big one, just like LeBron was before last season.

Other things to consider: When MJ left his Bulls team to play baseball, they finished 3rd in the East the next year without him and took the eventual runner-up Knicks to 7 games in the second round of the playoffs. When LeBron left his Cleveland team, which had the best record in the league the previous two years, they were one of the worst teams in NBA history and set the all-time losing streak record, despite losing pretty much just James and Ilgauskas from the previous year.

The point is that LeBron gets too much criticism for not winning with the Cavs. They were bad. Really, really bad without him. Jordan did nothing before Pippen. LeBron shouldn't be criticized for losing that Finals because there are so very few players in history that could have led that team to the Finals. And yeah, I understand that choosing to go to the Heat rubbed people the wrong way, but people can't win titles alone and now it clearly looks like he made the correct decision.

Basically, my main point has been throughout this thread is that it's foolish to claim that LeBron's career is better than MJ's career at this point. But it's also very foolish to entirely rule out the possibility that he can surpass him. He's accomplished more at the same age, is set up nicely for the future, and will accumulate higher career totals because he began at a younger age and won't have a two year break to go play another sport (LeBron would have been crucified by the media if he ever did that, by the way). Jordan set the bar insanely high. But it's not out of reach for LeBron. And my god, are we privileged as basketball fans to get to watch him chase those lofty goals.

Reaction Score

I give him a pass for losing to the Spurs considering what he did to the Pistons in the series before.

I knock him for Dallas, and for 2010 (I can't knock him for losing to the 2009 Magic, his stats were amazing).

But even then, plenty of the greats have choked, or played poorly, or lost games they should have won.

MJ lost some series in the 80s and 1990 to teams that were better, but he always performed well (LeBron hasn't always, although he frequently has).

1986 EC First Round: Boston wins 3-0. Jordan: 43.6ppg, 6.3rpg, 5.6apg, 2.3spg
1987 EC First Round: Boston wins 3-0. Jordan: 35.6ppg, 7rpg, 5.3apg, 2sgp
1988 EC Semis: Detroit wins 4-1. Jordan: 27.4ppg, 8.8rgp, 4.5apg, 2spg
1989 ECF: Detroit wins 4-2. Jordan: 29.6ppg, 5.5rpg, 6.5apg, 2spg
1990 ECF: Detroit wins 4-3. Jordan: 32 ppg, 7rpg, 6apg, 2spg

None of these are the craptacular series that LeBron pulled against the Mavs. Others have had bad series on the biggest stage, and they are still among the all-time greats. A bad series or two doesn't stop that. But it is what separates Jordan.

Reaction Score
THIS is the kind of reasoning I never understand. LeBron gets criticized for losing in the Finals (granted, 2011 is justified criticism) as people cite that Jordan never lost in the Finals. But even just making it to that point was amazing as he completely carried that team and had one of the best performances of all-time against the Pistons in the previous round. And this was at the same age as when Jordan was a rookie.

MJ never made it out of the first round without Pippen. I get that it just adds to the legend of Michael Jordan that he never lost in the Finals, but shouldn't he get some criticism for not making it until he was 28? Would he be viewed less fondly in history had he made the Finals twice beforehand and then lost? Before he won his first title, MJ was considered someone who could never win the big one, just like LeBron was before last season.

Other things to consider: When MJ left his Bulls team to play baseball, they finished 3rd in the East the next year without him and took the eventual runner-up Knicks to 7 games in the second round of the playoffs. When LeBron left his Cleveland team, which had the best record in the league the previous two years, they were one of the worst teams in NBA history and set the all-time losing streak record, despite losing pretty much just James and Ilgauskas from the previous year.

The point is that LeBron gets too much criticism for not winning with the Cavs. They were bad. Really, really bad without him. Jordan did nothing before Pippen. LeBron shouldn't be criticized for losing that Finals because there are so very few players in history that could have led that team to the Finals. And yeah, I understand that choosing to go to the Heat rubbed people the wrong way, but people can't win titles alone and now it clearly looks like he made the correct decision.

Basically, my main point has been throughout this thread is that it's foolish to claim that LeBron's career is better than MJ's career at this point. But it's also very foolish to entirely rule out the possibility that he can surpass him. He's accomplished more at the same age, is set up nicely for the future, and will accumulate higher career totals because he began at a younger age and won't have a two year break to go play another sport (LeBron would have been crucified by the media if he ever did that, by the way). Jordan set the bar insanely high. But it's not out of reach for LeBron. And my god, are we privileged as basketball fans to get to watch him chase those lofty goals.

I agree with a lot of that. Jordan didn't do anything without Pippen, but, to be fair, those years had the 1985-88 Celtics (great teams) and the 1986-1990 Pistons (great teams). The east in the 2000s was abominable up until around 2008 or so (when the Celtics came together and Dwight Howard put his skills together).

Playoff Stats by age 28
Jordan: 34.6 ppg (on 50.7%), 6.7rgp, 6.8apg, 2.4spg, 1bpg
James: 28.1ppg (47.2%), 8.6rgp, 6.7apg, 1.7spg, 0.9bpg

Reaction Score
Amazing part of those playoff stats by age 28 is that Jordan (barely) averages more assists. Never would have thought that. I know he got a lot on the kickout passes after double teams and things (a la Kerr game-winner in 1997).

Reaction Score
Amazing part of those playoff stats by age 28 is that Jordan (barely) averages more assists. Never would have thought that. I know he got a lot on the kickout passes after double teams and things (a la Kerr game-winner in 1997).

One thing that's often overlooked when comparing numbers from different generations is the difference in the pace of the game over time when comparing statistics.

Between 1984-1992 (which was up to MJ's age 28 season; same as LeBron now) the league averaged over 100 possessions per game, while between 2003 and now that number is hovering around 92. Following this trend, the league-wide shooting percentage was around 3% higher in the earlier timeframe, there were about 4 more assists per team per game, and 10 more points per game. Context is incredibly important when we're throwing out stats comparing players of different generations.

Additionally, people always talk about how the NBA's rules now makes scoring easier (specifically, the hand check rule). The league-wide stats paint a different picture. Even after adjusting for the faster pace of the league in 1984-1992, there were more free-throws, higher shooting percentages, and fewer blocked shots then than there are now. Obviously I'm generalizing an incredible amount, but it's hard to discount such clear statistical differences. I'd say that the overall quality of defense is higher now than it was during that period, regardless of whether or not the rules are more favorable for scorers now.

Reaction Score
One thing that's often overlooked when comparing numbers from different generations is the difference in the pace of the game over time when comparing statistics.

Between 1984-1992 (which was up to MJ's age 28 season; same as LeBron now) the league averaged over 100 possessions per game, while between 2003 and now that number is hovering around 92. Following this trend, the league-wide shooting percentage was around 3% higher in the earlier timeframe, there were about 4 more assists per team per game, and 10 more points per game. Context is incredibly important when we're throwing out stats comparing players of different generations.

Additionally, people always talk about how the NBA's rules now makes scoring easier (specifically, the hand check rule). The league-wide stats paint a different picture. Even after adjusting for the faster pace of the league in 1984-1992, there were more free-throws, higher shooting percentages, and fewer blocked shots then than there are now. Obviously I'm generalizing an incredible amount, but it's hard to discount such clear statistical differences. I'd say that the overall quality of defense is higher now than it was during that period, regardless of whether or not the rules are more favorable for scorers now.

There's something to that.

Advanced Stats up to age 28:
Jordan: 29.5 average PER, 58.7 TS%, 9.5 total rebound %, 32.2 assist %, 3 steal %, 1.6 block %, 10.7 TOV %, Offensive Rating: 119, Defensive Rating: 104, .256 WS/48

James: 27.3 average PER, 56.7 TS%, 12.2 total rebound %, 32.7 assist %, 2.2 steal %, 1.8 block %, 12.4 TOV%, Offensive Rating: 115, Defensive Rating: 101, .238 WS/48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom