POLL: What kind of UCONN Women's Basketball fan are you? | The Boneyard

POLL: What kind of UCONN Women's Basketball fan are you?

What kind of UCONN Women's Basketball fan are you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As a Boston Red Sox fan since 1967 I've been surrounded MOST of my life by the philosophy of "Wait Til Next Year" being spun in a positive light. So you'll forgive me if I don't understand the concept of "Wait Til Next Year" being a lament to forego the good times and embrace the bottomless pit which surely lies ahead. Vote accordingly Boneyarders.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Some will say “Hey how come there’s no middle ground here?”. Well my experience in dealing with negative people is there isn’t much middle ground. Of course not a single respondent will claim to be fan number 2.

On a side note (Sort of), my wife and I are waiting for our Tax refund. We have allowed ourselves to plan into the future by a few weeks hoping to pay off a couple of bills and perhaps get a new mobile device to watch the games on. However, we aren’t even going to think about filing NEXT year’s Taxes until much later this year

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As a WBB fan I choose door #3. Next year will be tough. But watching Geno coach that prospective team, a team that isn't nearly as talented as this one, will be a treat.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One part of being a great fan is not trashing those who don't fall into line. And why would you want to rain on your own parade by seeking out negativity to trash it?

Reaction Score
As a WBB fan I choose door #3. Next year will be tough. But watching Geno coach that prospective team, a team that isn't nearly as talented as this one, will be a treat.

Tough for those of us who've gotten a bit spoiled by the superteams of late. Nailbiters coming, yes. Losses, probably more than one. But fun? Lots--and maybe more excitement than constant 86-37 AAC wins. I am looking forward to this year's FF and to next year's run.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
One part of being a great fan is not trashing those who don't fall into line. And why would you want to rain on your own parade by seeking out negativity to trash it?

I'm sorry you see it that way.

P.S. : There certainly isn't any need to seek out negativity. It's there for all to see 24/7. My tongue in cheek poll will do nothing to increase the numbers either way.

Reaction Score
Barring (God forbid!) devastating injury, I think NC #11 is already in the bag. I am already salivating over the prospect of 2016-17, when Geno will have molded his talented younger players into a new kind of team, one that will, in my opinion, defy any predictions of a looming train wreck. Not predicting any immediate championships, but, just wait, they will be considerably more formidable than most seem to anticipate.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm excited to finally see what kind of coach Geno is. We all know he always gets the top 3 players from each class (it's automatic - as soon as you are ranked that high, they make you sign a NLI with UConn) so I think this will prove once and for all whether or not he deserves the accolades.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma deserves the accolades regardless. He knows that it is tougher winning games without great players.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Some will say “Hey how come there’s no middle ground here?”. Well my experience in dealing with negative people is there isn’t much middle ground. Of course not a single respondent will claim to be fan number 2.

Of course there's a middle ground . . . . probably four or five of them. . . . . at least for the 99.999% of the general sports-fan population that doesn't post here (the WBB board).

Why not just come out and offer the [false] choices you really wanted to offer?

1. Everything at every moment in every UCONN basketball game ever played evokes rainbows, puppy dogs and warm hugs! Those who post anything to the contrary at any time are simply nattering nabobs of negatavism whose comments must (or at least should be) purged from sight and whose mouths must be silenced!

2. The sky is falling every moment of EVERY SINGLE DAY. If the team does not execute perfectly at all times, not only is the NC in serious danger -- we might not even make the Sweet 16. Heck, we could lose in the first round of the conference tourney. Next year we'll be lucky to make the NIT, and we may well drop out of the rankings altogether, thus failing to surpass the Lady Vols' streak! Oh, the ignominy!

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
As a Boston Red Sox fan since 1967 I've been surrounded MOST of my life by the philosophy of "Wait Til Next Year" being spun in a positive light. So you'll forgive me if I don't understand the concept of "Wait Til Next Year" being a lament to forego the good times and embrace the bottomless pit which surely lies ahead. Vote accordingly Boneyarders.

With all due respect, I grew up in New England, but have been a Chicago Cubs fan most of my life, at least the part I recall clearly, you have know idea what "wait till next year means":rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm excited to finally see what kind of coach Geno is. We all know he always gets the top 3 players from each class (it's automatic - as soon as you are ranked that high, they make you sign a NLI with UConn) so I think this will prove once and for all whether or not he deserves the accolades.
Just an opinion of a fan from the pre Lobo days but I think he's earned his "accolades" a decade or two ago. I find the idea of him having to prove anything to anyone at this point frankly mind boggling. As for next year, this same exact thing has come up each and every time a good senior(s) graduated and somehow the team managed to survive and prosper. Looking around at the competition I don't see any reason to lose sleep over this bunch. And if all else fails there's the fact that this is, after all, only a game and win or lose the kids still get their educations paid for and that's about all that matters.

Reaction Score
I have been following UCONN women's basketball since the early 90's (while also following WVU (my alma mater) and Maryland). There has certainly been ups and downs over those years with variations in talent and injuries but over all the level of play and the win loss records have been quite impressive. It is very easy to get "used to" such excellence and take it for granted. Yes, next year is a big unknown since at least two, and possibly three, of the best players on both ends of the floor won't be in Storrs next year. Fans may have to "settle" for a few losses during the season and the Final Four (and continuing victories over ND ;)) are not a given. Other teams have recruited well and show signs of good play by talented players, though they are by and large not as consistent as UCONN and Notre Dame have been over the past five years or so.

I must say that over the years I have seen time and again where Geno, CD and their staff have taken players with limited roles and playing time from the previous season and work their magic with them over the off season so they are ready to take their place on the floor for the Huskies when the next season starts. I think they will be OK. In any event, if next season is challenging I hope that this board doesn't turn into Vol Nation. Talk about spoiled rotten unreasonable fans with ridiculous expectations!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying this season as much as anyone, but even Geno has acknowledged there are some losses coming our way next season barring some off-season miracle.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm enjoying this season as much as anyone, but even Geno has acknowledged there are some losses coming our way next season barring some off-season miracle.

Yes he has and I for one am content to let Geno concern himself with that. I'm having too much fun watching beautifully played basketball right now.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I'm a Browns fan, help!

I would offer condolences, but the way the league and other owners have treated my Patriots over a non-existent event I find it hard to have any sympathy for other teams or their fans.

Reaction Score
I voted for both LOL!

Other than #2 being set up as a ridiculous straw man, I feel like "both" is the right answer.

We should enjoy every minute of this possibly unprecedented run (if it does indeed culminate in a championship), with one of the most talented senior classes we've ever had.

We should also acknowledge that next year is going to be a significant dropoff. The question is whether it's more like the post-Maya dropoff where we're still Final Four caliber but beatable and the championship is very much up in the air or whether it's more like the post-Taurasi dropoff where even the Final Four may be out of reach and we endure stretches of ugly basketball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog