POLL: point blank, will this team be better or worse than 2013-14? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

POLL: point blank, will this team be better or worse than 2013-14?

How will the 2013-14 UConn WBB team compare to the 2014-15 team?

• UConn 2013-14 will be significantly better

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • UConn 2013-14 will be somewhat better

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • The 2013-14 and 2014-15 teams will be at just about the same level

Votes: 45 36.3%
  • UConn 2014-15 will be somewhat better

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • UConn 2014-15 will be significantly better

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disagree IMHO. SC was overrated last year. Many single digit victories against really average teams. Just a horrible schedule - played one top 10 team the entire season. "Squeaked" past the 16 and 8 seeds in the NCAA's and flamed out in the sweet 16. They matchup well vs. UCONN at the 2 and 5 spots. That's about it. At the 1,3 and 4 spots, UCONN blows them away.

MoJeff/Stewie and KML are beasts. It reminds me I need ot post to vowelguy. The volume of players doesn't overcome overall greatness. Stewie is arguably the greatest husky ever. KML is arguably the greates shooter ever and MoJeff - I'd say is huge huge ove whatever USC has at the pg. IMO MoJeff is going to go down as an all-tiem huskygret pg. WIhtthat- you don't "match up well" to this type of team in thatpossibly the greatest husky ever has players like MoJeff/KML to help- they make her game much better and vice versa. if you need a frosh like Wilson to be "so much." It can't be twisted in any manner- the USC coach has said scoring was a problem for her team. To rely on a frosh to beat our lineup in the NCAA's this year-- nah - no way.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Think the team will be better then last years, presuming no injuries. However, doesn't mean they will cut down the nets at the end of the year. I think South Carolina will be significantly improved and might cause this team problems at the end of the year.
I'll wait to see if SC can beat a ND, or TN or Texas A&M first. Haven't even seen them at that level yet, let alone UCONN's level. I think they can make a big jump, but a big jump just gets them to the second tier.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My thinking right now is that they will be similar in overall strength, but dramatically different in style, particularly on offense. While last year mostly ran through a high-post offense with Dolson at the controls, this year will see a more "traditional" PG-run offense, except that'll be no ordinary PG running things in MoJetts. I suspect opponent Ds will be left dazzled and dizzy on plenty of occasions.
Very well said.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No one can "replace" the leadership of Hartley or Dolson, but Bria was not a great shooter and while she had a huge heart and competitive fire, I think replacing her scoring and defense will actually be somewhat easy.
I would disagree with this. It might be done, but it certainly won't be easy. Hartley is on the list at #8 for UCONN's all time leading scorers. I don't think Chong is anywhere close to being as good a defender. Nurse may be but she's still only a Freshman. Besides her heart and competitive fire. (I think Jefferson will take up some of that though.)

I think we can/will make up some of our half court deficiencies (from the loss of Dolson) by pressing more, getting more fast breaks.

Reaction Score
.... A 40-0 record, no opponent within 11 points (the "highest lowest" MOV of all time in WCBB)...

Margin of Victory for last year's team was only 3rd best in UConn history.

2001-02 35.4
2009-10 34.9
2013-14 34.2

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Different than last year, yes. Fun to watch, yes. Dominant, yes. Probably cut down the nets in Tampa, yes. Better? No idea.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Margin of Victory for last year's team was only 3rd best in UConn history.

2001-02 35.4
2009-10 34.9
2013-14 34.2

You misread my statement. The "highest lowest" MOV means that no team came within 11 points of UConn in 2013-14. 11 points is the largest lowest MOV in a single game in the history of WCBB. Any one-loss (or more) team has a negative MOV in a game. As for other undefeated teams, UConn 2009-10 lost the NC game by six. UConn 2008-2009 beat Rutgers and ND by 10. UConn 2001-02, won a game by nine. UConn 1994-95 won two games by single digits. Tennessee 1997-98 had multiple single-digit victories. Texas 1985-86 had at least one single-digit victory, and so did La Tech 1980-81 (as did the rest of the AIAW champions).

In other words, no team has beaten all of its opponents by 11 points or more. Ever.

Reaction Score
I expect another undefeated season simply because I can't see any potential candidate to knock them off. But I think the relative strengths will be quite different. It's hard for me to predict that the team will be quite as good offensively. Anyone who thinks the team will be better on that end is, in my opinion, forgetting how huge and dominating a presence Dolson was, as a shooter down low with both hands, from the top of the key, and, even more important, as the best passing post in the game. On the other hand, I think this team has a real shot at being even better defensively. I expect Stokes to have a true breakout year, and will be a shot-blocking machine. Most of all, I think the addition of Tuck, the most underrated defensive player on the team, is going to yield a level of intimidation down low that will make points down there harder to come by than ever. Different look....same net result!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I expect another undefeated season simply because I can't see any potential candidate to knock them off. But I think the relative strengths will be quite different. It's hard for me to predict that the team will be quite as good offensively. Anyone who thinks the team will be better on that end is, in my opinion, forgetting how huge and dominating a presence Dolson was, as a shooter down low with both hands, from the top of the key, and, even more important, as the best passing post in the game. On the other hand, I think this team has a real shot at being even better defensively. I expect Stokes to have a true breakout year, and will be a shot-blocking machine. Most of all, I think the addition of Tuck, the most underrated defensive player on the team, is going to yield a level of intimidation down low that will make points down there harder to come by than ever. Different look....same net result!
Agree 100%. And add in having more guards to press could make it better defensively.

Reaction Score
I went with last year's team as well. It remains to be seen whether this years team has a Brian Hartley-esque clutch sniper.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would disagree with this. It might be done, but it certainly won't be easy. Hartley is on the list at #8 for UCONN's all time leading scorers. I don't think Chong is anywhere close to being as good a defender. Nurse may be but she's still only a Freshman. Besides her heart and competitive fire. (I think Jefferson will take up some of that though.)

I think we can/will make up some of our half court deficiencies (from the loss of Dolson) by pressing more, getting more fast breaks.
Fair enough and Geno will probably agree with you. But consider the 2013-2014 team at the same time last season. Bria was coming off her injury still and no one knew if she's be 100% for the season. I was trying to make the comparison of the teams at the same time. If you compare last year's team at the time of the NCAA's to this year's team right now, I would say you are correct.

But how good will this team be by the end of the season? Plenty of time for the questions of Chong, Nurse, Tuck and Williams to be answered... Anyway, it's a good discussion we will never know the answer to. But fun to debate!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Damn it. Now I can't edit that post. But after that win, I was almost as subdued as I'd be after a loss. Took me about 30 minutes to get over it and just celebrate #7.

Reaction Score
With the number of new players, defense might not be as good. UConn typically has great team defense, but that comes from experience, teamwork, and communication. A bit of a learning curve on that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
With the number of new players, defense might not be as good. UConn typically has great team defense, but that comes from experience, teamwork, and communication. A bit of a learning curve on that.

I think that's a good point on the communication front, but I think/hope they'll get there with the sheer amount of talent there is on D. Moriah is hell on wheels, Saniya is stepping up in the defensive department, Kiah is a shot blocking and rebounding machine, Stewie is a force of nature, and KML is no slouch on defense herself. So yes, the bench may have some kids who are just learning, but that starting five is top-to-bottom filled with highly skilled defensive players.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I give the edge to last year's team. The only way this team can be as good is if both Kiah and Morgan have great seasons. I used to say that because of the loss of Stef, but as I rewatch games of the past two years I can't help notice what a rally starter Bria was. Several times in tough games she was the one that started the "patented UCONN spurt".
Bingo - Sonny! She made so many critical plays at critical times- and she would push the ball/pace constantly, pulling back when it wasn't there! She impacted every night regardless of her shooting. Great observations! :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Last year's team was good, but there were off-games and weak performances, as there will be this season. Stef's leadership, versatility, size, and personality will be missed. So will Bria's aggressiveness and clutch play. I think we start out younger and probably not quite as good as last March/April. But I think this team is better by April 2015.

Stewie is the best player in the country and is stronger, more experienced, and better. A 15/8/5/4 game for her will be ho-hum.

Kaleena will be better than we have seen her. More versatile but still with the golden touch.

Moriah will be the most dominant 5'7" player ever.

Kiah is arguably the best defender and rebounder in the nation.

Saniya looks great, and Kia has the game of a 22-year-old.

Morgan is a top 15 player when the rust comes off. Ask Geno.

If you think no one has an answer for Stewie or Jewell Loyd, watch Gabby. It's the same with her. A matchup nightmare.

I predict that this will be the best defensive team in history. When Kia is on the floor, we'll have at least 4 lock-down defenders. And the 3-point shooting will be better than last year--Kaleena, Stewie, Moriah, Saniya, Morgan, Kia, and Courtney.

Let me go out on a limb here. On the basis of all of Milford's points, as well as Kiah's emerging offensive prowess, I think that, bar injury, as always, this year's team may just be the most dominant team in the history of wcbb, and mojo be damned! And next year's team may just be even better! Remember you read it here first.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think UCONN will be slightly worse--I just don't see the freshmen or Tuck coming in and replacing what Hartley and Dolson brought. On the flip side, I think just about every other teams that made the Elite 8 will be significantly worse. Well, A&M should be better, but Notre Dame has major losses, so do Stanford, UNC, Baylor, Maryland, etc. UCONN loses less than any of these squads, so I think they'll be even more dominant this year. Overall it looks like it'll be a down year in women's basketball with such a weak senior class and a strong class just graduating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom