• Paige

• Piath

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
First, no arguing. At this point, there's almost no answer as the kids coming in next year haven't even suited up for their first practice. So everyone's opinion is valid. And I know Geno would say he has "no idea" who the starters will be next year.

But... I think we can write in pen that 3 of the starters will be Christyn, Megan and Olivia, so for the purposes of this poll, they are already starters. In the poll, you can ONLY choose 2 players. Please note I listed them by class, then alphabetically.

This is not "who will earn the most minutes", or be the "best PG from day 1". Realistically, given skills, experience, needs, class level etc, it's a best guess as to who will start (or should start depending on your feelings).

Lastly, you can't see the results without first casting your vote.

I am assuming you mean on opening day of the season... it's Anna and Evina in my opinion. That starting line-up has a good chance of changing before the year is over.

I base my opinion on Geno's tendency to be very loyal. I think he sees Evina as someone who was wronged in a process she had little control over and , based on his comments, she brings an edge to the team that he feels they need. He also has stated how impressed he is with her talent level. At this point Anna has met/exceeded all his expectations for any freshman. I think he would have a soft spot for her as a fellow immigrant who is working hard to fit in and excel in a very foreign circumstance. Even if she shows a decline in the NCAA's I think it's Anna's spot to lose.

Reaction Score
I think it may vary depending on whether we are looking at the beginning of the regular season, the end of the season, or the bulk of the season. I'll assume that there will be a season of some sort, despite Covid-19.

I agree with your assumption. I think Megan stays in college and comes back as one of the best players in the nation--on the short list for NPOY. I think Liv continues to improve, with better moves, better shooting, and more strength. Even if we had a young Tina Charles coming in next year, Olivia would start. Some folks are dissing Christyn. I know her shot has been off and she played poorly a few games, but she's still a dynamic player and the 2nd or 3rd best returning player. She played hard and was effective in the AAC tourney. Squeaks will continue to start.

Now the question becomes sort of the opposite of what we had last summer/fall. We knew who the Core 4 would be and we had 4-5 choices as to who would be the 5th starter. There wasn't an obvious answer, and many of us chose someone based on projection and little hard evidence. We had some difficulty finding one good option. For the upcoming season, the problem is not finding one or two, but rather whittling down a list of 5 or so viable options to only 2.

For much of the season, I thought Anna not starting would make it easier for Geno to also bring her off the bench next year. Based on her performance as a starter, I think she continues in that role. She makes plays and is no longer 0 for America. Her shooting skills finally surfaced. And her passing skills are excellent.

There are 3 strong candidates for the other slot. I think Piath is too much of project, Mir is a bit raw, and Nika still has to adapt, so I rule them out, though some of them could be impact players as soon as next season. Aubrey is still raw, but maybe not so much next year. That leaves Evina, Paige, and Aaliyah. Evina played 2 years of major college hoops at Tennessee and was a very highly ranked recruit. I assume she'll be healthy. However, she did not play at UConn and is not a true PG in my opinion. Azura didn't start, so I think Evina follows in that mold. Paige is only a true freshman, but not a typical freshman. The same is true for Aaliyah. She has played at a high level of competition with Team Canada.

Before choosing my 5th starter, I'll note several things: Playing major minutes is more important than starting. Maya, Kaleena, and Stewie, for example, played lots of minutes and often finished games before they became starters. I don't think anyone, including Geno, really knows the answer to this yet. So, we can make statements with total bravado and confidence that could well be wrong. I admit that I don't know about the 5th starter. I'm moderately confident about Anna and very confident about Meg, Liv, and Christyn. My guess on the 5th starter is Paige.
I would love Olivia to make the jump next year like Tina did her Jr. year. The best center in America! She needs a little attitude and belief in herself. She should average a double next year in pts. & rbs. and most games by half-time!

Reaction Score
The problem we will continue to have is lack of size and talent in the front court. I don't see ONO becoming a superstar, and no matter how many guards we put out there, we're still undersized, and relying on the three.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised of Edwards ends up playing 30 minutes a game. Given ONO's chronic could problems, Edwards could spell her for a lot of minutes. And Coach Geno might use her in place of Chrysten as well.

Need the mix of front and back court. I don't see us prospering with the same front court as this year.
Certainly a good point except we won't have the same front court as this year. We will have a better, stronger Meg, a better, stronger Aubrey, and an Edwards and Gabriel off the bench. You have to add Paige, Mir and Nika into the equation also because of the team speed. Size alone underneath won't beat us with the offense and defense we will have. What team will be faster, better passing, and better shooting? We were the best 3 shooting team in the country this year and we had a few real awful outings to bring the % down. Imagine going three players into your bench with Aubrey, Paige and Edwards. We will continue to shoot 3s at a torrid pace next year with Evina, MW, CW, AM, Paige, Nika, and MIr, and if we are cold, the defense will lead to offense in transition since we can press and trap all game long with this bench. It's a lot to project but after this year, my faith in the coaching staff, which I hope includes Jamelle again, is at an all time high. Let's face it, we went from a team that was painful to watch to a team that is outright entertaining. You play your best players as a coach and I think we identified them. I also get the caution about Liv, but after this summer, expect a monster, especially if Jamelle is in her ear.

Reaction Score
I am assuming you mean on opening day of the season... it's Anna and Evina in my opinion. That starting line-up has a good chance of changing before the year is over.

I base my opinion on Geno's tendency to be very loyal. I think he sees Evina as someone who was wronged in a process she had little control over and , based on his comments, she brings an edge to the team that he feels they need. He also has stated how impressed he is with her talent level. At this point Anna has met/exceeded all his expectations for any freshman. I think he would have a soft spot for her as a fellow immigrant who is working hard to fit in and excel in a very foreign circumstance. Even if she shows a decline in the NCAA's I think it's Anna's spot to lose.
I generally agree with your analysis but Geno has a tendency to start "out-of-this-world" freshmen, especially early in the season in somewhat less challenging games. Paige will at least get significant playing time right from the start. The exciting situation would be to see Aaliyah be a significant contributor. That would help Olivia tremendously.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you've said. Except the last line, which, or course, we've spoke about before. Day one it'll be Evina. Geno will harp about Paige's conditioning, strength, and defense. All of which Evina has over Paige in November. By January or February we'll see. That doesn't mean there won't be big minutes for Paige since she can come in at the 1 or the 2. But looking at even a great talent like Zion struggle up and down the floor trying to keep up with the NBA pace, how can Paige not struggle at first? I think the more interesting battle will be at the 3 between Ania, AG and AE. No matter. I really want to be a fly on the wall for all the practices before Christmas. Who would have thought that we'd have 7 months of off season instead of 6? It's going to be a long off season, even if a few new recruits commit.
Paige will have to adjust to the physicality of the college game. I think she will have no problem with the mental part. Her court vision and decision making are off the charts. She is our only pure point guard.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Now the poll can be revised to include the possibility that our current seniors are given a fifth season of eligibility due to the Tournament cancellation.
I believe that CD is a LOCK in being our starting point guard.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Now the poll can be revised to include the possibility that our current seniors are given a fifth season of eligibility due to the Tournament cancellation.
I believe that CD is a LOCK in being our starting point guard.
Not, wait, never going to happen.

Reaction Score
Love coming to the BY and see people bashing a recruit. I agree that it is your opinion but there are way better ways to opine about a player's possible deficiencies.

Also I was under the impression that Paige has some defensive prowess in that she does have a good number of steals but this could be misinformation. Or did I miss in Geno's many comments about Paige that her defense is atrocious? If I did miss his comments, I apologize.

The poster was over-exaggerating. Many of the baskets from that player that got 40 were from a combination of fastbreaks, her own steals, and others guarding her too.

Reaction Score
Don't overlook the fact Ania played point guard most of her basketball life. "Makurat grew up playing point guard much like her favorite player, Diana Taurasi, but said she sees herself more as a shooting guard." She can fill-in as the PG. Polish guard Ania Makurat excited to play for ‘rock star’ Geno Auriemma at UConn
"We are excited to have Ania on campus this season," said Auriemma per release. "She is a versatile perimeter player and comes in with pro and international experience. Even though she is a freshman, I think she'll bring maturity to the team. We think she is going to have an immediate impact on the roster." She will start since she has done just what Geno said. Maybe not so much the immediate part but hey she did for most of the season. She knows when to score and when to facilitate. NCAA Recruiting: UConn Signs Ania Makurat for Next Season

?????????

Not sure what you are trying to tell me. AM is one of my starters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So the poll went sort of the way I thought in that 178 people participated. That's pretty cool. What I was surprised about was that Anna got about 50 more votes (123) to Paige (75) as a projected starter.

I realize some think it may change during the year, but after reading various comments on the board, i was not convinced that Anna would get that many more than Paige.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige and Anna. Evina cannot match Paige's PG passing skills or shooting and she best plays elsewhere on the court. The summer will tighten up Anna and she'll find the jumper.

Geno and Co. have a problem: a surfeit of talent. Starting will be a secondary consideration albeit the prize.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Evina starts, and that’s the way I’m leaning. But you do bring up some interesting points. While it’s not impossible for Paige to start, I think (at this time), it’s unlikely. I am on board with the notion that Paige gets a fair amount of minutes, possibly starting after the holiday break.

Reaction Score
Are you related to Anna cause hers is the only drum you beat
Only because so few don’t beat a drum for her. I picked her as the player to watch from the start and just see a special talent. I followed Lou for four years for same reason The only reason I mention her as much is so many Boneyarders automatically leave her off next year’s starters, replacing her with untested freshmen. Crystal and Meg don’t need supporters, Liv not so much, and Inthink Christyn gets a bad rap, and that Aubrey could be the best sixth “man” in UConn history next year and the years after something else indeed. But, yes, I think Anna is UConn’s future. The overall talent level here is off the charts. UConn is simply far, far better with her on the floor.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I think All of you may be pleasantly surprised next Year to see the following starting lineup.

Anna/Evina* (Health?)
Christyn
Megan
Olivia
Aubrey

Reaction Score
Only because so few don’t beat a drum for her. I picked her as the player to watch from the start and just see a special talent. The only reason I mention her as much is so many Boneyarders automatically leave her off next year’s starters, replacing her with untested freshmen. Crystal and Meg don’t need supporters, Liv not so much, and I think Christyn gets a bad rap, and that Aubrey could be the best sixth “man” in UConn history next year and the years after something else indeed.

I don't think that's entirely fair. Plenty of drum banging for Anna. Lots of us on the Boneyard had her as a starter for this year before the season began, and she was an easy winner in this poll to be a starter next year. That being said, keep banging for the next three years as we enjoy watching her play.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't think that's entirely fair. Plenty of drum banging for Anna. Lots of us on the Boneyard had her as a starter for this year before the season began, and she was an easy winner in this poll to be a starter next year. That being said, keep banging for the next three years as we enjoy watching her play.
Fortunately for Ania's sake Geno is her most important drum beater. She starts.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Best post and thoughts being expressed in a very long time.

I picked Anna & Paige

our assumed starters.
I posted last year that so goes Liv so goes the team. Unfortunately, Liv's growth and development was less than expected. Is Liv going to work on her game as needed to be effective at UConn or not? If not perhaps I should have selected Aaliyah Edwards. But that wasn't the scenario you set up.

Christyn Williams should be a no brainier. So why are so many of us questioning? I have the same thoughts on Christyn as Liv it depends on what she does between now and next session preparing to be a UConn player or something else. If she comes in next year the same as now, perhaps we see Nika Muhl or Aubrey starting. AHH! That wasn't the scenario you set up.

Megan Walker in my eyes grew her game and body between seasons. I'm expecting the same between now and next year. Megan figured it out. She knows what she wants. She has laid out her plan. She is executing her plan. Megan starts next year

Now my thoughts about who the two new starters are.
Anna:
Have you ever went to a foreign country for more than a couple weeks? I have and was surrounded by fellow solders who spoke my language and I was able to gradually adapt. Anna had the whole college experience, foreign country, language, missing your family, besides working to find her place on not just a basketball team but onto a premiere team, probably a historic program with the most demanding coaching staff in college sports and she not only broke into the rotation Anna played a critical role in the last six games of the season where UConn started looking like UConn. Please don't take this personally, just my opinion. If you don't think Anna starts next year, you might be an idiot.

Paige or Evina?
I have never seen Evina play. She came from a dysfunctional program. I have never seen a transfer come to UConn and be ahead of the freshmen understanding and exciting the Geno system. My understanding is that Evina is an off guard and Anna has already carried some of the point guard role so Evina will not move ahead of Anna.

Paige. I've watched lots of her videos. Read lots of options regarding her character, tenacity, and skills. Folks here on the BY who know a hell of a lot more than me about roundball are loosing there minds because she's coming to UConn. So I gave her the edge an perhaps she will be one of the few freshman starters for Geno.

There's my three cents. Am so looking forward to next session.

Due to resent statements. If correct. I wish to amend my take On Megan Walker. Megan will not start next year.

The possibility of two freshmen starting has risen its head. Hello, Aaliyah Edwards.
Anna, Paige, Aaliyah as the new starters for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta be honest. I figured that Paige was going to go through the normal "freshman" process and wait her turn on the bench. Then I watched her team play a game in a tournament against one of the better teams also involved. She is a game changer. Her passing and ball handling ability are way beyond "good". If she never took a shot in a game she would still impact it. Just hope my ability to judge hasn't isn't impaired.

Reaction Score
Don’t take this personally but “you might be an idiot.” Not sure you know what “don’t take this personally” means.

Reaction Score
I said this before and I will say it again, I will be shocked if Paige isn't the starter from day one. When she steps on the floor she will be the best point guard in the country. Yes Westbrook has more experience, but point guard is not her natural position. Yes there is also a learning curve, but Paige is a talent comparable to Stewie, Maya, and D.T.

Reaction Score
Dokey you have my vote too!
Anna!
I’ve followed her very closely since I had the pleasure of seeing her play in the exhibition game.
Wow.....is all I say!
Anna and Evina/Paige

Reaction Score
Losing a lot of scoring and 3 pt threat with not CD and Meg leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads