• Mir

• Nika

• Paige

• Piath

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about including the next season's incoming freshmen ('21) because next season will probably be canceled???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How about including the next season's incoming freshmen ('21) because next season will probably be canceled???
I wouldn’t say “probably,” but there is some chance next season will be delayed, cancelled, or affected in some way. I hope we can get on top of Covid-19 as soon as possible, but some experts are concerned about a recurrence next flu season. We are in uncharted waters. It may not be business as usual for quite some time. :(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Which "madness" are you referring? Am I entitled to an opinion on who I think the 5 starters will be? Apparently according to you I am not allowed to say Evina, Walker, Olivia, Anna and Paige are all better than Christyn.

Personally I am of the opinion that Evina would have started this year if she were allowed to play.... I am sure you will have an issue with that too...

Btw,

I am not the one who has been bashing CW on here...I just think the other players we have are better.. Including Griffin. It's called an opinion.

P.S.

The question was "who do you think the 5 starters will be next year"
It can be both an opinion and madness.

There are some who hold the opinion that the world is flat. Opinion, but still madness.
There are some who hold the opinion that TN is not evil. Opinion, but still madness.
There are some who hold the opinion that Williams won't start next year (barring injuries/corona of course). Opinion, but still madness.

Reaction Score
Evina and Anna start the first game. This assumes Evina is back to 100 percent and is able to practice at full speed from August on.

The returning players are pretty darn good and there is no pressing need to start any of the freshmen. Experience, along with physical and mental maturity, is a big deal. When I see a team starting a couple of freshmen I see a team that either has had injuries or had down recruiting years in the past. On the men's side there are always a handful of one and done starters but that isn't the case for the women.

Paige is the only one of the freshmen who has a reasonable shot at starting at some point next year. Assuming no injury issues of course. The rest will get minutes depending on how well they practice.

The real battle will be for who starts in 2021-22. Meg will be gone. ONO starts. Presumably Paige starts. Can any of the incoming freshman, with a year under their belt, overtake CW, Evina, Anna, or Griff as a starter? It won't be easy.

All and all it looks like UConn will be able to have a steady flow of experienced starters with a quality bench behind them for a good while. Which is the way Geno likes it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Early in the season Paige will not start, as her defense is atrocious.
Love coming to the BY and see people bashing a recruit. I agree that it is your opinion but there are way better ways to opine about a player's possible deficiencies.

Also I was under the impression that Paige has some defensive prowess in that she does have a good number of steals but this could be misinformation. Or did I miss in Geno's many comments about Paige that her defense is atrocious? If I did miss his comments, I apologize.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige and Anna. Evina cannot match Paige's PG passing skills or shooting and she best plays elsewhere on the court. The summer will tighten up Anna and she'll find the jumper.

Geno and Co. have a problem: a surfeit of talent. Starting will be a secondary consideration albeit the prize.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you've said. Except the last line, which, or course, we've spoke about before. Day one it'll be Evina. Geno will harp about Paige's conditioning, strength, and defense. All of which Evina has over Paige in November. By January or February we'll see. That doesn't mean there won't be big minutes for Paige since she can come in at the 1 or the 2. But looking at even a great talent like Zion struggle up and down the floor trying to keep up with the NBA pace, how can Paige not struggle at first? I think the more interesting battle will be at the 3 between Ania, AG and AE. No matter. I really want to be a fly on the wall for all the practices before Christmas. Who would have thought that we'd have 7 months of off season instead of 6? It's going to be a long off season, even if a few new recruits commit.
I recall everyone saying how good Azura was in practice, that she was unguardable, that she would be NPOY and the #1 draft pick. I know Evina’s situation is different and maybe I’m overreacting, but I’m not sure a transfer starts. It depends on the other options.

I think several players will get meaningful minutes next year. Nika just had a triple-double. Don't sleep on her!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2-- Stevens was a better player than Danger but Geno still started Danger. He chose "the natural pg" rather than go with Nurse as pg and Stevens as center. So it came down to fit and natural pg. From what I hear Evina is not a natural pg. In contrast, Paige is a natural pg and she also fits.

Don't overlook the fact Ania played point guard most of her basketball life. "Makurat grew up playing point guard much like her favorite player, Diana Taurasi, but said she sees herself more as a shooting guard." She can fill-in as the PG. Polish guard Ania Makurat excited to play for ‘rock star’ Geno Auriemma at UConn
"We are excited to have Ania on campus this season," said Auriemma per release. "She is a versatile perimeter player and comes in with pro and international experience. Even though she is a freshman, I think she'll bring maturity to the team. We think she is going to have an immediate impact on the roster." She will start since she has done just what Geno said. Maybe not so much the immediate part but hey she did for most of the season. She knows when to score and when to facilitate. NCAA Recruiting: UConn Signs Ania Makurat for Next Season

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think we can begin to comment and debate about our players next season, because this season is done. :(
1584030077920.png
:(:eek::confused:;):rolleyes::D

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you've said. Except the last line, which, or course, we've spoke about before. Day one it'll be Evina. Geno will harp about Paige's conditioning, strength, and defense. All of which Evina has over Paige in November. By January or February we'll see. That doesn't mean there won't be big minutes for Paige since she can come in at the 1 or the 2. But looking at even a great talent like Zion struggle up and down the floor trying to keep up with the NBA pace, how can Paige not struggle at first? I think the more interesting battle will be at the 3 between Ania, AG and AE. No matter. I really want to be a fly on the wall for all the practices before Christmas. Who would have thought that we'd have 7 months of off season instead of 6? It's going to be a long off season, even if a few new recruits commit.
Hey, the women's college basketball GOAT, Stewart, struggled most of her freshmen year until tourney time. As Yogi Berra once supposedly said "déjà vu all over again." It would be really nice if Paige could reprise Stewart's freshman season finish. Remember only Maya ever arrive game ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My "sleeper" pick to start is Edwards (ASGR #11) Principally because of the need for a true power forward on this team. It would also allow Walker to play her natural 3 position.
Of course, that would mean having a bench with: Griffin, Makurat, Mir and Gabriel as front court subs. With Bueckers (Assuming Westbrook starts) and Muhl as backcourt subs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I presume you are targeting 1st game in November. Create another poll like this in 1st week of December targeting January 15 starters. However, allow us to select all 5 starters. Do not assume any starters for the sake of the poll.
Yes the poll is for the starters of the first game of the season, not who will start in March. As for assuming any of the starters, it's 100% that barring injury, Megan, Christyn and Olivia will be starting. Therefore, there is no point in putting a poll out to "pick the 5 starters" since we know for a fact who 3 of them will be.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Liv has the best chance of starting next year .. the rest is a crap-shoot .. stop pre-picking, let everyone fight for a spot in October .. let the chips fall where they may ... it's only fair...
Not sure I understand your comment. If you don't like my poll, don't participate in it, and create your own.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand your comment. If you don't like my poll, don't participate in it, and create your own.
EricLA-Hang in there as the thread created spirited dialogue and only a few knuckleheads should not diminish the dialogue. Jingo gave an opinion which he is entitle to and ALSO to which no one is remotely agreeing with.
Suggesting that Meg would not start and should have to battle for a spot is utterly ridiculous to which most of us immediately discredit as he shows no support for his logic. After all why would the leading scorer at 19.7 points per game, our one player who can create her own shot, get rebounds against taller, bigger players and play good team defense deserve to start. I don't care how many USA Basketball Teams she was on or that the rest of the WCBB community put on POY watch lists, she has to prove herself worthy!!! ;) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Until we know for sure if Meg returns and no one knows yet...its impossible to reasonably guess a starting line up

Reaction Score
I think you should have a poll that is fair, that is, not partly pre-determined, eh? :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think you should have a poll that is fair, that is, not partly pre-determined, eh? :)
Then you can make your own poll that IS NOT partly predetermined! His was a poll that I would say that over 95% of the BY agrees with and what the heck is this, "eh?" after everything you type?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes the poll is for the starters of the first game of the season, not who will start in March. As for assuming any of the starters, it's 100% that barring injury, Megan, Christyn and Olivia will be starting. Therefore, there is no point in putting a poll out to "pick the 5 starters" since we know for a fact who 3 of them will be.
For 1st game in November yes. 1st game after 15 January maybe not so much.

Reaction Score
EricLA-Hang in there as the thread created spirited dialogue and only a few knuckleheads should not diminish the dialogue. Jingo gave an opinion which he is entitle to and ALSO to which no one is remotely agreeing with.
Suggesting that Meg would not start and should have to battle for a spot is utterly ridiculous to which most of us immediately discredit as he shows no support for his logic. After all why would the leading scorer at 19.7 points per game, our one player who can create her own shot, get rebounds against taller, bigger players and play good team defense deserve to start. I don't care how many USA Basketball Teams she was on or that the rest of the WCBB community put on POY watch lists, she has to prove herself worthy!!! ;) :rolleyes:
No .. Megan cannot create her own shot nor put the ball on the floor in traffic .. that's been her problem(s) against the good teams, eh? as a result she shot poorly in ALL of our important games .. i m not disagreeing that she is an AA in the AAC, I'll give you that.

Reaction Score
For 1st game in November yes. 1st game after 15 January maybe not so much.
I find it absolutely astonishing that Anna doesn’t make you 100% list. I am actually surer about her that the three you list, with Meg excepted and perhaps—perhaps—Liv by default as no one matches her height and experience. But if Anna doesn’t start, the NCAA ought to call off the season, using coronavirus as reason, and award UConn the NC. She has the same tools as Sanrina.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No .. Megan cannot create her own shot nor put the ball on the floor in traffic .. that's been her problem(s) against the good teams, eh? as a result she shot poorly in ALL of our important games .. i m not disagreeing that she is an AA in the AAC, I'll give you that.

Yes, and Aubrey will be our leading scorer this year....For someone who has swung and missed in spectacular fashion, I would be a little more circumspect in suggesting our actual leading scorer and National AA candidate won't be good enough to start next year. :confused:

Reaction Score
I find it absolutely astonishing that Anna doesn’t make you 100% lost. I am actually surer about her that the three you list, with Meg excepted and perhaps—perhaps—Liv by default as no one matches her height and experience. But if Anna doesn’t start, the NCAA ought to call off the season, using coronavirus as reason, and award UConn the NC. She has the same tools as Sanrina.
Are you related to Anna cause hers is the only drum you beat

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I find it absolutely astonishing that Anna doesn’t make you 100% lost. I am actually surer about her that the three you list, with Meg excepted and perhaps—perhaps—Liv by default as no one matches her height and experience. But if Anna doesn’t start, the NCAA ought to call off the season, using coronavirus as reason, and award UConn the NC. She has the same tools as Sanrina.
Ania absolutely in my book starts. I'm saying next year there will be loads of talent and competition for starting spots. Who really knows what might happen. For me the solids are Olivia, Meg, and Ania but I still want the option of picking the 5 starters and not have someone's opinion pressed upon me at mid-year. As for Geno I believe he goes with Olivia, Meg, Ania, Evina, and CW unless one or more of them totally craters. Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, and Aubrey will get loads of minutes. They should not be worn down for the 2021 NCAA tourney due more reasonable minutes for everyone particularly the starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom