Poll 1/28 | The Boneyard

Poll 1/28

Reaction Score
Thread for announcement of today's poll, and for the inevitable whining that the voters (sportswriters from across the US) are owned by ND and biased towards the Irish.

My prediction:
  1. Bay (+1)
  2. UConn (+1)
  3. ND* (-2)
  4. Lou
  5. Ore
  6. Miss St (+2)
  7. NC St (+1)
  8. Stan* (-2)
  9. Ore St
  10. Marq
  11. MD
  12. Tex
  13. Iowa (+4)
  14. Syr* (-1)
  15. RU* (-1)
  16. Ky* (-1)
  17. Utah (+4)
  18. Gonz
  19. SoCar
  20. Az St* (-4)
  21. TAMU (+3)
  22. IowaSt* (-2)
  23. Mich St
  24. Fla St* (-2)
  25. Mizzou*

* = Losses last week

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For comparison, Massey's analysis

1548688273447.png

Reaction Score
Last week Coach's pool, UConn was #2, Baylor #3. So I assume UConn will be #1 in coach poll.

Screenshot (7).png

Reaction Score
I believe Notre Dame will drop to fourth. The reason for this is that they lost to an unranked team. Louisville should be 3rd just behind UCONN with Baylor #1. It would not surprise me if ND dropped even lower then fourth.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thread for announcement of today's poll, and for the inevitable whining that the voters (sportswriters from across the US) are owned by ND and biased towards the Irish.

My prediction:
  1. Bay (+1)
  2. UConn (+1)
  3. ND* (-2)
  4. Lou
  5. Ore
  6. Miss St (+2)
  7. NC St (+1)
  8. Stan* (-2)
  9. Ore St
  10. Marq
  11. MD
  12. Tex
  13. Iowa (+4)
  14. Syr* (-1)
  15. RU* (-1)
  16. Ky* (-1)
  17. Utah (+4)
  18. Gonz
  19. SoCar
  20. Az St* (-4)
  21. TAMU (+3)
  22. IowaSt* (-2)
  23. Mich St
  24. Fla St* (-2)
  25. Mizzou*

* = Losses last week
These predictions are pretty sound. Normally Syracuse would drop more than 1 spot for losing to an unranked team, but each of the 3 teams immediately behind them (Rutgers, KY, ASU) also lost to unranked or (in KY's case) lower-ranked teams.

I do think there's a modest chance Mizzou falls out, even though they only lost to higher-ranked teams. The voters seem to have a way of punishing teams just for losing, even if the losses are "expected." And considering they only had an 11-vote lead over BYU last week, it's possible that the Cougars of Provo move into the poll.

Reaction Score
I do think there's a modest chance Mizzou falls out, even though they only lost to higher-ranked teams. The voters seem to have a way of punishing teams just for losing, even if the losses are "expected." And considering they only had an 11-vote lead over BYU last week, it's possible that the Cougars of Provo move into the poll.

Yes on Mizzou but there wasnt much compelling in the ARV teams from last week -- BYU, Tenn, Minn, UCF.

Reaction Score
ND loss must be discounted as Jackie Young was out. They, like us, have 5 players who start and play virtually all game. Take out one and it comes apart. But still shocking, 4 healthy players and a sub should have been able to beat NC. It was not NC State or Louisville.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Notre Dame won't fall as far as their two pretty bad losses warrant (calling UConn a bad loss because it was by 18 at home). Their schedule is strong and their ceiling is probably higher than everyone, but they can be uninterested for long stretches in games. That may be a recipe for disaster. Yesterday showed me they have little chance to win it all if Jackie Young is not on the court.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
ND loss must be discounted as Jackie Young was out. They, like us, have 5 players who start and play virtually all game. Take out one and it comes apart. But still shocking, 4 healthy players and a sub should have been able to beat NC. It was not NC State or Louisville.

Does MSU get extra credit for losing Bibby in the first series vs SC and still getting a solid win? Just kidding, but the #1 team should be able to overcome one starter out vs. a team barely in the Top 50.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is the NCAA Selection Committee still doing its "reveals?" The committee did 3 last year with the first in January.

Reaction Score
Is the NCAA Selection Committee still doing its "reveals?" The committee did 3 last year with the first in January.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. I thought they had done their 1st one by now though, so I've been thinking it's not happening.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Awww cool. Massey has us as #3. I agree, personally speaking.

Our margin of victory is also impressive. We've crushed the most teams and we're 4-1 against Top 15 teams. If Jackie Young is an excuse for Notre Dame loss, I wonder how the committee will view our performance against South Carolina where we hung 89 points on them with our Aussie star injured in the first series.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Notre Dame should drop to at least 4 or possibly 5. I'd personally drop them to 6. Losing to North Carolina is the definition of a bad loss, with or without Young. Notre Dame still has 3 top 10 WNBA draft picks in it's starting 5 and a likely 2nd rounder in Mabrey...they should've won that game easily.

Before anyone says it's crazy to have ND that low, the difference between being #6 vs. #1 is not great right now. UCONN, Baylor, Louisville, Oregon and Mississippi State are all 1 loss teams and have their strengths and weaknesses. Notre Dame has 2 losses but they're right in the mix with that group. Same with Stanford IMO. We'll find out more from NC State in the coming month.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Awww cool. Massey has us as #3. I agree, personally speaking.

Our margin of victory is also impressive. We've crushed the most teams and we're 4-1 against Top 15 teams. If Jackie Young is an excuse for Notre Dame loss, I wonder how the committee will view our performance against South Carolina where we hung 89 points on them with our Aussie star injured in the first series.

The win over South Carolina, much like ND's win over Louisville, was a much closer game than the final score indicates. And besides, this is South Carolina, the same team that got absolutely embarrassed at home by Baylor and Maryland.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Notre Dame should drop to at least 4 or possibly 5. I'd personally drop them to 6. Losing to North Carolina is the definition of a bad loss, with or without Young. Notre Dame still has 3 top 10 WNBA draft picks in it's starting 5 and a likely 2nd rounder in Mabrey...they should've won that game easily.

Before anyone says it's crazy to have ND that low, the difference between being #6 vs. #1 is not great right now. UCONN, Baylor, Louisville, Oregon and Mississippi State are all 1 loss teams and have their strengths and weaknesses. Notre Dame has 2 losses but they're right in the mix with that group. Same with Stanford IMO. We'll find out more from NC State in the coming month.
I don't agree actually. If ND were at full strength, sure, drop them to 5 or 6. But it was already known that their bench players are comparatively weak. The instant Young retakes the court, they'll be the same team again that was #1 in the rankings and, in my opinion, the odds-on favorite.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
The win over South Carolina, much like ND's win over Louisville, was a much closer game than the final score indicates. And besides, this is South Carolina, the same team that got absolutely embarrassed at home by Baylor and Maryland.

State took an 8 point lead with over 7 minutes to go (AEH with the 3 point dagger there) and it never went below that. They dominated the final quarter and put the game out of reach after SC shot lights out for half the game (59% from the field in 1st Half and hit their first 6 threes).

It was a solid win over a clearly improving team on a night when the home team lost a starter to a shocking, season ending knee injury on its first possession. Not making it more than what it was, but also not making it less.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

I think you make an important point here. Their are quite a few teams at the top that just have not separated themselves convincingly from each other. ND should be lauded for some high quality wins, but those are two pretty damn bad losses (UConn because of margin) for a #1 seed contender. On a good night they are probably the best in the country, but they are capable of lower lows than many of the top teams it seems.

Reaction Score
I think you make an important point here. Their are quite a few teams at the top that just have not separated themselves convincingly from each other. ND should be lauded for some high quality wins, but those are two pretty damn bad losses (UConn because of margin) for a #1 seed contender. On a good night they are probably the best in the country, but they are capable of lower lows than many of the top teams it seems.
Hard for me to believe any team that lost at home by double digits can be better than the team that beat them. Any team can lose on the road if the home team get hot and has crazy fan support but even then the elite team should look elite, ND did not look elite against UCONN and they certainly were not elite against NC. Time for the voters to look at performance rather than reputation.

Plebe

Reaction Score
State took an 8 point lead with over 7 minutes to go (AEH with the 3 point dagger there) and it never went below that. They dominated the final quarter and put the game out of reach after SC shot lights out for half the game (59% from the field in 1st Half and hit their first 6 threes).

It was a solid win over a clearly improving team on a night when the home team lost a starter to a shocking, season ending knee injury on its first possession. Not making it more than what it was, but also not making it less.
Well by all means, if AEH hit the dagger 3, stop the presses! They need to be number 1!

I give you credit for homer passion, but trust me, you're making it more than it is.

Reaction Score
Take Phee or Lou out and see how we look.
I agree but as long as there is no injury to either then UCONN IS AN ELITE TEAM! Injuries are part of the game and the truly great teams overcome injuries, somehow I think Geno would still have UCONN amongst the elite team even if injuries occur given he has time to recover, just my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom