Points and starters next season... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Points and starters next season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why? I wasn't posting the question as an arrogant one. I was thinking about it as our team may be smaller this year, but our depth is stronger. even when we have our 2nd string group in, they will be capable of putting up big numbers. And to answer your question of "how'd that work out for us"? Well, we did win the NC so i'd say it was pretty ok! ;)

I know you weren't posing it out of arrogance, and I had no such implication in mind. However, one wonders whether our opponents who lurk here might consider predictions of the number of 100 point games? But, that said, I don't think we have to be overly kind to opponents, by any means.

Put it this way: Let's assume there are no 100 point games in either Nov or Dec and, to boot, some games are decided by less than double digit margins. Does that mean we will be disappointed and full of gloom about the then upcoming regular season? If we generate a thread with varying 100 point game totals, I think we will have set ourselves up for disappointment. That's the only point.

Once again,No harm, No foul

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
for now I just think dwelling on the summer and on taking it easy, basking in present glory is quite sufficient.

All well and good....for you. It's not for everyone. It just feels a little bit that you are telling posters how to feel and act.

Reaction Score
jplotinus: "the point is, prior to last season, we had lots of threads and posts predicting an easy season, an NC was assured, and a 0 loss season was all but taken for granted."

This doesn't jibe with my memory. Not with Baylor being the undefeated national champion coming back with virtually (or perhaps literally) its entire first string. And while a lot of us did underestimate ND, a lot also thought Stanford was going to be tougher than they proved to be.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And I thought we were all here just to engage in the witty repartee.
If it gets any wittier we will have to change the name to the Algonquin Yard.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
jplotinus: "the point is, prior to last season, we had lots of threads and posts predicting an easy season, an NC was assured, and a 0 loss season was all but taken for granted."

This doesn't jibe with my memory. Not with Baylor being the undefeated national champion coming back with virtually (or perhaps literally) its entire first string. And while a lot of us did underestimate ND, a lot also thought Stanford was going to be tougher than they proved to be.

I like when we argue about what we argued about.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I like when we argue about what we argued about.
You should sit on on my pre-marital sessions with couples on communication sometime.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Ericsandiego

You write:

"Another interesting survey question would be "how many games will UCONN score over 100"?"

I know it's very tempting to pose queries that invite us to conclude our team will be invincible and that all other opponents should give serious consideration to forfeiting the outcome and just engage in a fan-friendly scrimmage against us.

Come to think of it, BYers kind of did that prior to this past season. It might be axed, rhetorically of course, 'how'd that work out for us?' Answer: Not very well. After the first <20 point victory margin, angst set in, cuinating in apoplexy after the first ND loss.

If we go down the path in April of predicting the number of 100 point games, we run the risk of a repeat of what we collectively did to ourselves this year.

So, maybe we'd be better off wondering about summer strength and conditioning, rehab and taking time to wish the team a fun-filled summer.

Jus sayin :-o

First, there is a good bit of hyperbole in the first two paragraphs you wrote to caution, in essence, people against hyperbole. That predictably stirred up a backlash since no one is fond of hypocrisy.

Second, you ought to visit the men's board to understand a genuine example of what concerns you. By virtue of Napier deciding to return many are expecting a Final Four team. It might happen, but THAT is an example of setting folks up to turn ugly. In contrast, there will be no backlash on a failure of the women's team to reach a certain amount of 100 point games. Absolutely none. Don't get me wrong, certain types of people will find fault with anything, though next season there may have to be a lot of focus on the problems with announcers and officiating. There undoubtedly will be critiques about this or that on offense. Yet "angst" or "apoplexy" over the number of 100 point games reached? Ain't going to happen.

Reaction Score
All well and good....for you. It's not for everyone. It just feels a little bit that you are telling posters how to feel and act.

Feelings? Well, that's up to each person. I just call 'em as I see 'em; and, as nearly as I can recall, there was a disproportionate amount of anxiety around here in what turned out to be a championship season. I acknowledge an untested assumption; namely, that less anxiety is better than more anxiety.

Isn't it considered a friendly gesture to call attention to things that might be hurtful?

In any event, as I am now fond of saying:

No harm No foul

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Feelings? Well, that's up to each person. I just call 'em as I see 'em; and, as nearly as I can recall, there was a disproportionate amount of anxiety around here in what turned out to be a championship season. I acknowledge an untested assumption; namely, that less anxiety is better than more anxiety.

Isn't it considered a friendly gesture to call attention to things that might be hurtful?

In any event, as I am now fond of saying:

No harm No foul

Now I'm confused. You were telling posters to just enjoy the summer and bask in the glory of the season and basically stop being too positive about next year and said posters did the same thing last year. Now you are saying that posters were too anxious about last year?

Huh??

Reaction Score
Now I'm confused. You were telling posters to just enjoy the summer and bask in the glory of the season and basically stop being too positive about next year and said posters did the same thing last year. Now you are saying that posters were too anxious about last year?

Huh??

Sorry for your confusion, DD, but glad you are not dazed as well. Come to think of it, it is now necessary to add another confounding variable. Namely, the impact the BY has on the team and on outcomes. That is to say, I support the hypothesis that fan support, ranging from attending games, to booster activities of one kind or another, to and including message board postings have a direct impact on outcomes.

I cannot offer up objective proof, absent a concerted effort that I have not yet done. Maybe the issue has already been addressed? I hope so.

In connection With speculation about the number of 100 point games, I could certainly foresee opponent teams and coaches posting up claims like that in their locker rooms as extra motivstion to make sure we don't drop 100 on them.

That is one example of posting have a potential impact. There are many others.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wasn't this smart until I started hanging out on the Boneyard.;)
I'm glad you recognize that. When I need to look up something, I always have to make the tough choice between Google and the Boneyard.

By the way, it was demonstrated that the average person's IQ drops 3 points for each year of reading the Summitt. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm glad you recognize that. When I need to look up something, I always have to make the tough choice between Google and the Boneyard.

By the way, it was demonstrated that the average person's IQ drops 3 points for each year of reading the Summitt. :)
Is there a recovery curve like for smoking? How much permanent or residual damage remains after stopping 5 years? It, also, explains them going to a pay for play board status, they needed to cover the liability insurance.

Reaction Score
And that's more serious than one would think, since the average member starts of with an IQ of only 70.:)

Reaction Score
Ericsandiego

You write:

"Another interesting survey question would be "how many games will UCONN score over 100"?"

I know it's very tempting to pose queries that invite us to conclude our team will be invincible and that all other opponents should give serious consideration to forfeiting the outcome and just engage in a fan-friendly scrimmage against us.

Come to think of it, BYers kind of did that prior to this past season. It might be axed, rhetorically of course, 'how'd that work out for us?' Answer: Not very well. After the first <20 point victory margin, angst set in, cuinating in apoplexy after the first ND loss.

If we go down the path in April of predicting the number of 100 point games, we run the risk of a repeat of what we collectively did to ourselves this year.

So, maybe we'd be better off wondering about summer strength and conditioning, rehab and taking time to wish the team a fun-filled summer.

Jus sayin :-o

How'd that work out? Really, really well. Won a national championship.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not only that, I have been hacking away for years with orange lung and I suffer from all sorts of voluntary response issues such as incontinent bile spewing. If only I'd known what I was in for when I signed up and was assigned the name Volunteer Boardsmasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom