Point guard | The Boneyard

Point guard

Reaction Score
Who are we recruiting to really help lead UConn in the next several years?

I was one of the ones defending Alterique in the big thread this week because I believe this team needs him this year. I've also really liked what I've seen of Gaffney, but I am not there yet thinking that he will take over and lead UConn. He may only be a great combo guard here (which will be much to his credit).

College ball has always been about having a great PG leading the team in really tight situations, especially end of game. We haven't really had that for a long while, and I'm not sure I see it changing in the future. We could recruit 100 more Akoks, Bouknights, and Andre Jacksons, and it might not make a difference.

We've neglected the most valuable position on the court, while bringing in plenty of talent at the 2-3-4 positions. More so than almost any other team we play.

Khalid El-Amin, Taliek Brown, Marcus Williams, AJ Price, Kemba Walker, Shabazz Napier. These were key players in running the UConn offense in key situations, especially late in games.

We've deemphasized the position. Get back to the days of having 3 PGs on roster at all times.

Reaction Score
We have Cole and Gaffney. Bouk can also handle the ball and Adams will have to improve his handling skills
Jackson has a good handle and vision for a 6'6 kid. We will have the ballhandling, we just need Gaff to emerge and Cole to be the guy Hurley thinks he is, there's a reason he didn't even try to get him cleared for this season. Nothing is a given at the pg position though as we've seen from AG.

Reaction Score
I think we'll be good at the 1. Anyone watching this team knows we need to hit shots. Get me a couple shooters whatever position. Other need would be a buiser down low. Don't care if labeled a 4 or 5 just someone who can score thru contact. Is that too much to ask? And since I'm asking, Santa please let Jackson be better than advertised.

Reaction Score
We have Cole and Gaffney. Bouk can also handle the ball and Adams will have to improve his handling skills

Cole was a scorer. Can he run an offense?

Bouknight is strictly a 2. Unless he improves his handle a lot. We saw Memphis trapping yesterday as soon as Vital was running the offense.

Bouk can't help us there. I'm talking about point guards who can actually run the offense.

Reaction Score
Jackson has a good handle and vision for a 6'6 kid. We will have the ballhandling, we just need Gaff to emerge and Cole to be the guy Hurley thinks he is, there's a reason he didn't even try to get him cleared for this season. Nothing is a given at the pg position though as we've seen from AG.
I’m getting the feeling that Jackson is and ite level athlete with a game similar nadav. We will see where the iq and maturity rank. (Understating the NH was a bit older)

Reaction Score
I think we'll be good at the 1. Anyone watching this team knows we need to hit shots. Get me a couple shooters whatever position. Other need would be a buiser down low. Don't care if labeled a 4 or 5 just someone who can score thru contact. Is that too much to ask? And since I'm asking, Santa please let Jackson be better than advertised.
We should have a trailer parked outside of Sanogo's house. We need him and a shooter. We have the other pieces.

Reaction Score

Bouknight is strictly a 2. Unless he improves his handle a lot. We saw Memphis trapping yesterday as soon as Vital was running the offense.

Bouk can't help us there. I'm talking about point guards who can actually run the offense.
Cole is a point guard, led the conference in assists and scoring. Only question how does he translate from a really bad conference to a great conference.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Cole averaged 6 APG in each of his two seasons. He can definitely run the offense.

Between Cole and Gaffney, we're in very good shape for the next two years. As @Hoophound mentioned above, the class of '21 would be the perfect opportunity to bring in our next PG. He would get one year behind Cole and Gaffney, and another year alongside Gaffney as a senior. Then the reins are his.

Reaction Score

Adams may not have the quickness to get by people which is needed at the pg position. When he drives it is always to score and mostly from using his strength. I think Bouk is not far away from being able to take some minutes at point guard but he needs to clean up his handle. I hope Cole is very good. He definitely has a craftiness to his game that is essential. I think Gaffney will be good too but it needs to be by next year. His growth process has to speed up. Right now he’s extremely hesitant which is making him appear slow and unathletic.

Reaction Score
Not singling anybody out, but man people are really underestimating what we have in RJ Cole.

I really want to be optimistic about RJ Cole, but after having my spirits crushed four years in a row, I’m trying to keep my expectations within reason.

This question could be for you, or for anybody. Does anyone know how he’s looked in practice this year? I know the level of play will be substantially more challenging for him next year, but I would think that his performance at UConn practices would give a good indication of how he will perform in the Big East next year. Any insight?

Reaction Score
@superjohn...what makes me optimistic is that he put up good numbers against P5 competition both years he played at Howard. And with a limited supporting cast.

Exactly. So imagine what he’ll do with a real supporting cast where he doesn’t need to be a 1 man offense. He will see spacing at UConn like he was never able to get at Howard.

Reaction Score
I really want to be optimistic about RJ Cole, but after having my spirits crushed four years in a row, I’m trying to keep my expectations within reason.

This question could be for you, or for anybody. Does anyone know how he’s looked in practice this year? I know the level of play will be substantially more challenging for him next year, but I would think that his performance at UConn practices would give a good indication of how he will perform in the Big East next year. Any insight?
He's been the best player in practice. I've heard this from multiple people.

Reaction Score
@superjohn...what makes me optimistic is that he put up good numbers against P5 competition both years he played at Howard. And with a limited supporting cast.
Yep, fg% not all that good but it's tough when you're the only option. We should be a lot better at point next season.

Reaction Score
Plus Cole has 2 years here. I’m expecting Bouk to shoot better next year from the 2 position then add in Polley. I’d think we need another shooter or two for the 2/3 slots. I’m assuming Akok get the majority of the minutes at the 4.

Anyone know about Springs shot and range?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

As others have said, Cole is a point guard. We will need another in 2021, but we have him for two and Gaffney for three. As for Bouk, they pressed him slightly and he dribbled behind his back and blew by his man. His handle is fine. Adams can help and can play spot PG duty, as he has this year.

That said, Hurley really doesn’t want a ball dominant PG. He wants a team where several guys average 3+ assists a game. Less dribbling and more moving the ball through the air and players moving off the ball. Jackson is perfect for that and I think Bouknight is slowly starting to figure out how to create for others. We’d have a lot more assists now if people could finish consistently.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we went after another ball handling wing/sf/sg this spring to go with a big. But I don’t expect another PG.

Reaction Score
Good reading on Cole. Thanks.

Still would like 3 PGs, & I've always said this because of what happens when a PG gets hurt or a PG decides to transfer late and we end up scrambling for the likes of Garrison etc.

I've actually been saying this since Shabazz left, but 3 PGs are needed.

Reaction Score
In response to the OP...

IMO Bazz and Kemba were combo guards playing point.

Gaff and Cole will be fine the next 2 years at point. As several have mentioned Cole has been extremely good in practice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good reading on Cole. Thanks.

Still would like 3 PGs, & I've always said this because of what happens when a PG gets hurt or a PG decides to transfer late and we end up scrambling for the likes of Garrison etc.

I've actually been saying this since Shabazz left, but 3 PGs are needed.

And yet you won’t find more than a couple UConn teams ever that had 3 PGs. Two plus a combo, sure. Most of our best teams had only 4 total guards, sometimes 5 and once, just 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom