Pledge of allegiance at UConn games | The Boneyard

Pledge of allegiance at UConn games

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What exactly was the impetus for this? I really don't have a strong opinion about it one way or another, but I'm not sure what the point is or why the national anthem wasn't considered a sufficient expression of unifying patriotism such that it was necessary to add the Pledge. Was there some event that inspired it? Was there a clamoring for it that the athletic dept was responding to?

Any insight at all??

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What exactly was the impetus for this? I really don't have a strong opinion about it one way or another, but I'm not sure what the point is or why the national anthem wasn't considered a sufficient expression of unifying patriotism such that it was necessary to add the Pledge. Was there some event that inspired it? Was there a clamoring for it that the athletic dept was responding to?

Any insight at all??

It probably because of the World Vision sponsorship. World Vision is a conservative religious para church organization. Franklin Graham Billy's son has been strongly affiliated along with a number of other religious names. Part of the effort to bring the US "under God."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They did it at the Stanford game too, though.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
So, we now are to associate allegiance to the country with conservative religious beliefs? Nice.
Feel kind of digusted with all those liberal religious folks who don't really love the old USA.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So, we now are to associate allegiance to the country with conservative religious beliefs? Nice.
Feel kind of digusted with all those liberal religious folks who don't really love the old USA.
No, I was simply giving the background of the organization. Several of the affiliates have made strong comments about the issue of America is a "Christian nation." Franklin Graham being among them.

Since Alex said it was, also, used at the Stanford game that was not the impetus for its inclusion.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score

Basketball games are sporting events, not patriotic gatherings. What's next? Pledging allegiance when I get my driver's license renewed?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Blick, is my reaction. I'm never a fan of overt religiosity at sporting events, and this feels over the edge.

Now, if they listened to my proposal and alternated between the pledge (perhaps minus it's McCarthy-era addition) and reciting bits of the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and the various Amendments.... just think how much smarter we would be about the country we were pledging allegiance to....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Blick, is my reaction. I'm never a fan of overt religiosity at sporting events, and this feels over the edge.

I don't find the Pledge of Allegiance all that "religious". Nor the National Anthem either.

Although I have never seen a reason for either at sporting events, but they don't really bother me either.

Besides, National Anthems seems to be about the only work American Idol contestants are getting these days. ;)

Reaction Score

So, now we are to associate liberal religious beliefs with lack of love for the old USA? Sheesh! This is way off topic, i.e. why the pledge of allegiance is suddenly a fixture of UConn women's basketball games. It is also an example of why that innovation is likely to bring more heat than light. One can feel that adding a new ritual to a public event is redundant, without lacking patriotism. The fact that some vigorously disagree with that, is cause for concern about adding more ritual. Let sleeping issues lay I say.

Reaction Score

Any insight at all??

National anthem or pledge...one is sufficient.

Kinda uncomfortable for foreign student-athletes. Standing by quietly works better during the national anthem.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
I've been told by people in the program it's something Pendergast wanted to start up.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hmm...so empircally it rubs some people the wrong way, and most people are probably indifferent at best to it. Is there anyone who's just thrilled that they started doing this and/or feels a stronger sense of connectedness to UConn athletics as a result? I just found the whole thing odd more than anything else, but it's definitely irked some folks. And certainly, the Pledge has been somewhat divisive historically. I can't remember the Star Spangled Banner being the topic of a Supreme Court case, but the Pledge has been.

I dunno, just seems like there are more pressing issues for the interim AD to focus on at this particular moment in college athletics. Not saying that his focus on this excluded him from being able to focus on anything else, but still.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't find the Pledge of Allegiance all that "religious". ;)

"One Nation, under God" is pretty religious -- especially if you believe in the concept of separation of church and state or believe there is no one looking over us and keeping track of what we do.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
"One Nation, under God" is pretty religious -- especially if you believe in the concept of separation of church and state or believe there is no one looking over us and keeping track of what we do.

Do we also have to stand, remove our hats, and cross our hearts? I sure wouldn't want one of those cameras that sees everything we do in public from driving on the interstate to parking in a shopping mall catching me being unpatriotic. Better make sure your lips are moving for the pledge.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This, also, fails to consider the numerous number of Christian groups or others who do not believe in a pledge to nation before God. In PA this includes traditional "Peace Churches" like the Mennonite and the Quakers, plus Jehovah's Witnesses and others. Often in the past members of these groups excused themselves from the classroom when the pledge or national Anthem was shared.

During the 1950s empty civil ceremonies were created and introduced to define us over against the "Godless communists." Today it is largely an empty attempt to define us over against the "Islamic heathens." Both are policies struck in fear and weakness and not in strength or conviction.

What is forgotten by many is that everytime we introduce some form of pledge or confession we not only define people in we define others out in often unintended consequences.

Reaction Score
i know it's been done forever, but i've never understood why the national anthem before sporting events. what's the connection between a sporting event and showing patriotism? and now the pledge. i never felt comfortable leading my homeroom in the pledge, and was relieved when it was discontinued. patriotic ritual,when overdone, can lead to a lack of meaning. there is a time and place for the anthem and the pledge. it makes no sense at all at a sporting event, and i find myself resisting them.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hey, if you don't like it...don't participate...just stay in your seats. What's the big deal anyway...somebody thought it would be a good idea, a bunch of people support it by saying it and some people don't so they don't participate. That's how it is done in a free Constitutional Republic. How many people stand while waiting for the first UConn basket...nobody consulted with you before they started that tradition. If you don't agree with that tradition you stay in your seat.

Reaction Score
Uconn being a "publicly funded state run institution" needs to leave out the religion and politics, those things are for individuals to accept or not accept and are not to be forced on citizens by a" state run publicly funded institution".

Go to the games enjoy the spectacle, have a good time with your friends and the rest of the fans cheering on your team, not else is needed.

Go Uconn !!!!!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A related note. When I attended the Stanford game, I noticed that UConn team members and coaches faced the flag and placed their hand on their heart during the playing of the National Anthem. (Photo below captures their former response to the anthem which, frankly, disappointed me.) I had long advocated this and was gratified to finally see it happen.
National anthem.jpg

Though I consider myself a reasonably patriotic guy, I can never get a religious feeling from the National Anthem, since the music originated as an English drinking song.

I agree with those who consider the Pledge of Allegiance to be excessive at a sporting event and worry that, if overdone, could be less meaningful to all and awkward for others.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Hey, if you don't like it...don't participate...just stay in your seats. .

And draw the wrath of every well-meaning or misguided patriot in the building? I am assuming the audience is requested to stand for this ritual.

No one has answered my question......is this procedure taking place at all UConn sporting events? Football? Men's bball?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When I attended the Stanford game, I noticed that UConn team members and coaches faced the flag and placed their hand on their heart during the playing of the National Anthem. (Photo below captures their former response to the anthem which, frankly, disappointed me.) I had long advocated this and was gratified to finally see it happen.

Other people in the thread have said that if folks don't want to place their hands over their hearts or recite the pledge, they shouldn't have to. Yet Kibitzer is disappointed in the coaching staff for choosing not to do so. People like Geno can shrug off the disapproval but for others it can feel like they're being pressured into participating in something against their wishes. I don't know why everyone needs to move in lockstep to prove they're patriotic.

I dithered about moving this thread but as long as we don't veer into liberal/conservative arguments we'll see how it goes.

Reaction Score
This is the first I've heard of this practice.
I certainly wouldn't feel "put-upon" by doing both but, I think doing just the Anthem at sporting events is fine.

That said, I continue to be shocked and saddened to hear that the Pledge of Allegiance is NOT RECITED in my grandson's grammer school class. Not even offered as an option.
'Splain me that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger