Please, stop the “FIRE HURLEY!” nonsense and let’s discuss realistic improvements for next season. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Please, stop the “FIRE HURLEY!” nonsense and let’s discuss realistic improvements for next season.

Reaction Score
and remember how many years it took jay wright and scott drew.
Jay Wright was in the sweet 16 his fourth year and the elite 8 his fifth year. Scott Drew was taking over arguably the worst major program in D1 who had their previous coach cover up a murder of a player by another player.

None of these comparisons are good for Hurley.

Reaction Score
We had no answer for a player that was on his 5th school in 5 years for a reason. Our team was fun to root for and we all knew the flaws of each player, but they carried themselves well and represented the University admirably all season. Hurley believes in his culture and has us heading upwards year over year. The problem with this year was we lacked a second good guard to win the big Tournament games. Hurley has to do a fair assessment of the talent on his roster and use the transfer portal to fill needs that we have. I do not see RJ coming back so the backcourt is looking very suspect if we want to go to the NCAA next year. Our team will be very young compared to what we sent out on the floor this season. We look to losing our top assistant coach also. I would like to see Hurley stop with the establishing Adama offense and start running something that will use all our players and have Adama get shots when they are there. Otherwise we are real easy to stop and 22 point first halves will continue to haunt us. I hope Floyd can be an answer but he is "just a freshman".

Reaction Score
I want iHurley to be more willing to give young kids an opportunity to show what they can do. Can’t continue trotting out a unit that allows teams to crash on Sanogo because there is no consistent outside threat. I’m not sure if it was just our personnel or if Hurley should have an offensive coach run the show. I don’t know anything about offenses at his previous schools.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Hate to say it but the changes that are needed most likely will involve the forbidden word that can not be said…. So don’t say it. That along with bringing in a couple of veteran guards.

Reaction Score
Just look at Chris Beard (Texas) took over a team that hadn’t sniffed the second game of NCAA since 2014….and now they’re blowing out the ACC champion….the people that say we need to give Hurley 6-8 years need to wake up
This is disingenuous. Beard took over a top 30 kenpom team that had won the Big 12 tournament the year prior. Also VTech was a bubble team at best prior to winning the tournament. Not even close to being the same size of rebuild.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but the changes that are needed most likely will involve the forbidden word that can not be said…. So don’t say it. That along with bringing in a couple of veteran guards.
we still have 2 open schollies for next year so i'll say this: as long as the 3 rising seniors dont wanna stick around as super seniors, then i dont think the forbidden word will be invoked

Reaction Score
Just look at Chris Beard (Texas) took over a team that hadn’t sniffed the second game of NCAA since 2014….and now they’re blowing out the ACC champion….the people that say we need to give Hurley 6-8 years need to wake up
The "ACC champion" was a bubble team that got hot in the conference tourney in a very down ACC. Gtown was the Big East champion last year. It's great that he won but let's not pretend they beat some juggernaut.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are few absolutes in life, but here’s one:

Dan Hurley isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

I cannot for the life of me take anyone seriously who genuinely thinks Dan Hurley will get fired at this point in history. Whether or not you think Hurley should be fired because you - like literally every other UConn fan - are upset about yesterday’s upset loss, there is absolutely a 0% chance that anyone in the UConn Athletic Department is even considering terminating Dan Hurley’s contract.

1) He has taken a program from the bottom of a mid-major conference that prayed to make the NIT to the top (yes, third place is towards the top) of a P6 that comfortably lands in the NCAAT. In four years. On this day three years ago Hurley had finished year one at UConn with an improved record and performance in the conference tournament than the previous season. Year two would’ve been UConn’s first postseason in three years had COVID not interrupted. Year three saw a top-40 program finish third in the Big East with a tough BE semifinal loss to the runner-up, followed by the schools first NCAAT appearance in years. Year four produced a top-20 BE contender that knocked off multiple top-10 teams before losing to eventual conference champs in New York, with another NCAAT appearance. Notice the trend? Every season has been an objective improvement. So, what grounds would the AD reasonably have to fire Hurley if he wanted to?

2) UConn is broke, yo. Even if Hurley was reasonably underperforming the school couldn’t afford a buyout. He’s locked in through 2027.

3) Who would replace him? A new coach with a new system, which inevitably takes years to install like it does at any program? And then after his fourth season when we probably don’t win a natty we’ll be screaming “FIRE HIM!” like cavemen all over again?

There’s no argument to fire Hurley, so let’s stop talking about it. He’s imperfect, he annoys me too, but he’s our guy for the foreseeable future so let’s discuss areas in which UConn can realistically continue to improve.

Also Dan Hurley is not Jim Calhoun. They’re literally two different humans with different DNA and . Stop comparing them.

Can we stop trashing Ollie as a justification for whatever Hurley has done?

OLLIE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Hurley has not won an NCAA tournament game yet at UConn. See the difference?

Reaction Score
My opinion is Hurley should get until he has 100% his recruits that were recruited after the ship had been righted. If at that point he still hasn’t made a sweet 16 or elite 8 I think it’s time to start wondering if he’s the right person for the job.

I’m extremely frustrated with this result, and I think better coaching would have this team easily in the next round. But I think Hurley gets more time to show that he can learn and grow. Hopefully Calhoun gets in his ear.

I’m hopeful that recruits like Karaban will get us past the point of having a bunch of athletes that can’t shoot. Getting Griffiths is critical too. Hopefully Hurley sees Villanova and sees how Wright constructs his roster. You can’t have 3 guys on the court that can’t shoot in today’s game.

Reaction Score
Until the team stops improving from one year to the next, it’s beyond silly to talk about the hot seat. Thankfully there’s no chance anybody anywhere even close to being part of the decision making process is thinking that way, it’s just some vocal crazies

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
1) Get rid of the weave. Forever. It should never be discussed again

2) need to add more spacing especially if Jackson and sanogo are starters

3) need to adjust to the talent of the players on the floor. Not slamming square pegs into round holes

Reaction Score
Hopefully Hurley sees Villanova and sees how Wright constructs his roster.
sees nova, sees how wright constructs his roster, and does the opposite lol

we were nova's polar opposite this year: good defense, good rebounding, bad offense, bad shooting, stupid turnovers, end of game choke artists.

Reaction Score

I cannot for the life of me take anyone seriously who genuinely thinks Dan Hurley will get fired at this point in history. Whether or not you think Hurley should be fired because you - like literally every other UConn fan - are upset about yesterday’s upset loss, there is absolutely a 0% chance that anyone in the UConn Athletic Department is even considering terminating Dan Hurley’s contract.

1) He has taken a program from the bottom of a mid-major conference that prayed to make the NIT to the top (yes, third place is towards the top) of a P6 that comfortably lands in the NCAAT. In four years. On this day three years ago Hurley had finished year one at UConn with an improved record and performance in the conference tournament than the previous season. Year two would’ve been UConn’s first postseason in three years had COVID not interrupted. Year three saw a top-40 program finish third in the Big East with a tough BE semifinal loss to the runner-up, followed by the schools first NCAAT appearance in years. Year four produced a top-20 BE contender that knocked off multiple top-10 teams before losing to eventual conference champs in New York, with another NCAAT appearance. Notice the trend? Every season has been an objective improvement. So, what grounds would the AD reasonably have to fire Hurley if he wanted to?

2) UConn is broke, yo. Even if Hurley was reasonably underperforming the school couldn’t afford a buyout. He’s locked in through 2027.

3) Who would replace him? A new coach with a new system, which inevitably takes years to install like it does at any program? And then after his fourth season when we probably don’t win a natty we’ll be screaming “FIRE HIM!” like cavemen all over again?

There’s no argument to fire Hurley, so let’s stop talking about it. He’s imperfect, he annoys me too, but he’s our guy for the foreseeable future so let’s discuss areas in which UConn can realistically continue to improve.

Also Dan Hurley is not Jim Calhoun. They’re literally two different humans with different DNA and . Stop comparing them.
I dont mean to be rude or disrespectful to anyone but those calling for him to be fired are morons. He does not deserve to be fired. I dont even think hes on the hot seat. Yet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, Hurley is not firable. UConn just stroked a $10 million check for a coach they fired 4 years ago. UConn is not paying another coach not to coach. So these Hurley threads are not about whether Hurley will be fired or not, they are about how we will feel about him being fired or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Jay Wright was in the sweet 16 his fourth year and the elite 8 his fifth year. Scott Drew was taking over arguably the worst major program in D1 who had their previous coach cover up a murder of a player by another player.

None of these comparisons are good for Hurley.

For context in defense of Hurley:

Wright took over a Villanova program that was coming off three straight post season appearances (NCAA, NIT, NIT), then made the NIT himself the next three seasons before finally making the Sweet 16 in year four.

So he took over a program in a power conference, that was in better shape competitively, and it took him four years to even make the NCAAs.

What does it mean? Not much as most of these comparisons lack any context.

Reaction Score
The "improvements" are filling the same holes we had this time last year. Coach just needs to swallow his pride and get some guys who are ready now.

Reaction Score
Kimani seems to be in touch with the way to strategize and use players effectively. Kenny Smith tooted Kimani’s horn last night for no apparent reason. He pointed out that Kimani beat Nova, not Hurley. If I’m DB, I’m talking to Kimani over lunch next week. Not sure I need to fire anyone, but I need to keep certain people engaged just in case. Certain people might also need an oddly large pay raise as a hedge.

Reaction Score
Kimani seems to be in touch with the way to strategize and use players effectively. Kenny Smith tooted Kimani’s horn last night for no apparent reason. He pointed out that Kimani beat Nova, not Hurley. If I’m DB, I’m talking to Kimani over lunch next week. Not sure I need to fire anyone, but I need to keep certain people engaged just in case. Certain people might also need an oddly large pay raise as a hedge.
this is so stupid

Reaction Score
I have not seen one comment saying to fire him. FOUR YEARS!!! In hoops that is an eternity. Let's not make that sound so incredible. Teams turn around overnight in hoops. Literally takes one real good class. He has underachieved in the post season...period!!!

Reaction Score
Funny someone came up with this thread when I don’t think anyone said Fire Hurley?? Once again how dare anyone point out the facts and discuss the pattern thus far. It needs to get better, let’s see when it’s all “his guys” because first round losses won’t be working for many fans much longer.

Reaction Score

DH criticisms should be directed at the makeup of the team. Which has been discussed adnauseam. We can't have another season with only 1 point guard DH is willing to play. If this happens again then I'd entertain some very serious DH criticism. Maybe even entertain the idea of letting DH go. This doesn't mean DH can be fired. We can only afford so many buyouts.

The New Mexico St loss stings, but it's also a bit irrelevant to me. I'd be impressed if any coach could win a tournament game with one pg. Again, the mistakes were made last offseason.

Reaction Score
and remember how many years it took jay wright and scott drew.
Seriously comparing the competition in the Old Big East to this year is crazy.
Wright had some tough competition that gave no quater in that huge league which skewed his record
Jim Calhoun in conference record :
7-13 2009 -2010
9-9 2010-2011. Yet won the Big East tourney and NC
8-12 201-2012
. You could finish 9th and win a NC.
Those years besides a HOF coach we had multiple NBA players on those rosters. and a bunch of guys drafted. That league was a meat grinder.
Nova immediately went to top dog and have stayed there partly because of Wrights maturity but the lesser competition helped his teams develop plus get better seeds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom