Please, stop the “FIRE HURLEY!” nonsense and let’s discuss realistic improvements for next season. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Please, stop the “FIRE HURLEY!” nonsense and let’s discuss realistic improvements for next season.

Reaction Score
Kimani seems to be in touch with the way to strategize and use players effectively. Kenny Smith tooted Kimani’s horn last night for no apparent reason. He pointed out that Kimani beat Nova, not Hurley. If I’m DB, I’m talking to Kimani over lunch next week. Not sure I need to fire anyone, but I need to keep certain people engaged just in case. Certain people might also need an oddly large pay raise as a hedge.
There was a time where Kevin Ollie got a lot of praise from people all over the NBA. There was also a time the KO was the hottest young coach in the game. It amazes me how sold people are on Kimani. None of you know if hes got the goods and none of us know if he dont either. The road to college basketball coaching glory is littered with with guys who had all the praise in the world until they got the job. Im fine with Hurley for now. I do think he is a weak Xs and Os guy but hes showing to be a good recruiter and hopefully he`ll get better with experience.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
There was a time where Kevin Ollie got a lot of praise from people all over the NBA. There was also a time the KO was the hottest young coach in the game. It amazes me how sold people are on Kimani. None of you know if hes got the goods and none of us know if he dont either. The road to college basketball coaching glory is littered with with guys who had all the praise in the world until they got the job.
This ^^^

It’s the same phenomenon that has ppl convinced Diggins would’ve been a first team all American if only Hurley would play him.

Reaction Score
There was a time where Kevin Ollie got a lot of praise from people all over the NBA. There was also a time the KO was the hottest young coach in the game. It amazes me how sold people are on Kimani. None of you know if hes got the goods and none of us know if he dont either. The road to college basketball coaching glory is littered with with guys who had all the praise in the world until they got the job. Im fine with Hurley for now. I do think he is a weak Xs and Os guy but hes showing to be a good recruiter and hopefully he`ll get better with experience.

I’m not at all sold on Kimani. However, I’d definitely try to get a feel for what he knows and what he thinks he can offer in terms of Xs and Os and in game strategy. If there is more ability there, you want to try and make sure Hurley taps it. As many have said, Hurley clearly needs a mentor that really knows the game. After watching Kimani maneuver so effectively against Jay Wright, you have to wonder what’s there to work with.

Reaction Score
I’m not at all sold on Kimani. However, I’d definitely try to get a feel for what he knows and what he thinks he can offer in terms of Xs and Os and in game strategy. If there is more ability there, you want to try and make sure Hurley taps it. As many have said, Hurley clearly needs a mentor that really knows the game. After watching Kimani maneuver so effectively against Jay Wright, you have to wonder what’s there to work with.
A mentor is typically someone with more experience, not less.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that it has clearly been an X’s and O’s issue with the team and I think many can agree with that. It’s been stated numerous times on this board that Hurley isn’t the greatest in-game coach - and maybe that is accurate. However, where Hurley lacks in in-game coaching he seems to have made up for in motivating players, recruiting and getting UConn back into the top 25 - all of which are critically important to our success - especially given where the program was only a few years ago.

A topic I don’t have much knowledge on is in regards to other head coaches in college basketball and their in-game coaching abilities. How many HC’s depend on their Assistant Coaches for in-game strategy? Look at football - you have OC/DCs calling plays, not necessarily the Head Coach. Is college basketball similar? Didn’t Calhoun lean on Blaney a lot? I know the buck stops with Hurley and it’s on him to hire his assistants - but I think how he utilizes his assistant coaches will have a lot to do with how this program moves forward.

Hurley seems to have the leadership qualities needed for a HC which is as equally important to Xs and Os in my mind. A lot of coaches have the ability to coach basketball but can’t recruit or motivate players. Hurley is still young and still learning. I’m sure he is equally upset as us fans with how the NMSU game went. He will use it as a learning experience.

I’m optimistic about the future. He definitely has developed players, recruited some great talent, and has us competitive in the Big East. I think the next step is figuring out how to be a better in game coach. It takes situations like the NMSU game and last weeks Villanova game to build character. He strikes me as the type of guy that won’t let these games define him.

Reaction Score
Can we stop trashing Ollie as a justification for whatever Hurley has done?

OLLIE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Hurley has not won an NCAA tournament game yet at UConn. See the difference?
With a JC team. KO and his teams tanked after that season.....

Reaction Score
Do you think Kimani has sat in complete silence for the last 4 years while watching video and game planning for opponents? I can't imagine he's so shy that he hasn't offered up his ideas on what could work

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It seems to me that it has clearly been an X’s and O’s issue with the team and I think many can agree with that. It’s been stated numerous times on this board that Hurley isn’t the greatest in-game coach - and maybe that is accurate. However, where Hurley lacks in in-game coaching he seems to have made up for in motivating players, recruiting and getting UConn back into the top 25 - all of which are critically important to our success - especially given where the program was only a few years ago.

A topic I don’t have much knowledge on is in regards to other head coaches in college basketball and their in-game coaching abilities. How many HC’s depend on their Assistant Coaches for in-game strategy? Look at football - you have OC/DCs calling plays, not necessarily the Head Coach. Is college basketball similar? Didn’t Calhoun lean on Blaney a lot? I know the buck stops with Hurley and it’s on him to hire his assistants - but I think how he utilizes his assistant coaches will have a lot to do with how this program moves forward.

Hurley seems to have the leadership qualities needed for a HC which is as equally important to Xs and Os in my mind. A lot of coaches have the ability to coach basketball but can’t recruit or motivate players. Hurley is still young and still learning. I’m sure he is equally upset as us fans with how the NMSU game went. He will use it as a learning experience.

I’m optimistic about the future. He definitely has developed players, recruited some great talent, and has us competitive in the Big East. I think the next step is figuring out how to be a better in game coach. It takes situations like the NMSU game and last weeks Villanova game to build character. He strikes me as the type of guy that won’t let these games define him.
I disagree it’s an X and O issue.

It seemed all mental with this team. They disappear in the big moments.

Our offense actually looked very good all year. Something Hurley really improved over his first few seasons here.

We were first or second in the BE in PPG.

All season, DH designed an offense that had tons of open looks for guys, they just failed to make the good shots when it counted.

How may easy layups did we miss vs Nova and NM? How many wide open 3s that weren’t even close?

Either that’s a talent issue (I don’t think as much, but we can us more pure shooters) or a mental issue (I’ve been saying this all year).

You could watch it all season in big spots. This team always tightened up. He needs to figure out how to keep the team loose in big spots.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You never steal a coach from a destination job. You inquire about interest and eventually move on when you are told there is none.

Schools tried to steal Calhoun until he was in his late 50's. He strongly considered South Carolina after the National Championship. You can be a destination job and other schools can still come after your coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How long before the first round flops start to impact recruiting?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You never steal a coach from a destination job. You inquire about interest and eventually move on when you are told there is none.

I will say if Hurley doesn’t go to seton hall I’d feel pretty good about him staying here unless it’s basically the nba calling

pj

Reaction Score
Realistic improvements for next year - (1) recruit a strong point guard out of the transfer portal, (2) start building in depth, versatility, ability to present varied looks from the first day of practice.

Reaction Score
There are few absolutes in life, but here’s one:

Dan Hurley isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

I cannot for the life of me take anyone seriously who genuinely thinks Dan Hurley will get fired at this point in history. Whether or not you think Hurley should be fired because you - like literally every other UConn fan - are upset about yesterday’s upset loss, there is absolutely a 0% chance that anyone in the UConn Athletic Department is even considering terminating Dan Hurley’s contract.

1) He has taken a program from the bottom of a mid-major conference that prayed to make the NIT to the top (yes, third place is towards the top) of a P6 that comfortably lands in the NCAAT. In four years. On this day three years ago Hurley had finished year one at UConn with an improved record and performance in the conference tournament than the previous season. Year two would’ve been UConn’s first postseason in three years had COVID not interrupted. Year three saw a top-40 program finish third in the Big East with a tough BE semifinal loss to the runner-up, followed by the schools first NCAAT appearance in years. Year four produced a top-20 BE contender that knocked off multiple top-10 teams before losing to eventual conference champs in New York, with another NCAAT appearance. Notice the trend? Every season has been an objective improvement. So, what grounds would the AD reasonably have to fire Hurley if he wanted to?

2) UConn is broke, yo. Even if Hurley was reasonably underperforming the school couldn’t afford a buyout. He’s locked in through 2027.

3) Who would replace him? A new coach with a new system, which inevitably takes years to install like it does at any program? And then after his fourth season when we probably don’t win a natty we’ll be screaming “FIRE HIM!” like cavemen all over again?

There’s no argument to fire Hurley, so let’s stop talking about it. He’s imperfect, he annoys me too, but he’s our guy for the foreseeable future so let’s discuss areas in which UConn can realistically continue to improve.

Also Dan Hurley is not Jim Calhoun. They’re literally two different humans with different DNA and . Stop comparing them.
AGREE!

Reaction Score
I disagree it’s an X and O issue.

It seemed all mental with this team. They disappear in the big moments.

Our offense actually looked very good all year. Something Hurley really improved over his first few seasons here.

We were first or second in the BE in PPG.

All season, DH designed an offense that had tons of open looks for guys, they just failed to make the good shots when it counted.

How may easy layups did we miss vs Nova and NM? How many wide open 3s that weren’t even close?

Either that’s a talent issue (I don’t think as much, but we can us more pure shooters) or a mental issue (I’ve been saying this all year).

You could watch it all season in big spots. This team always tightened up. He needs to figure out how to keep the team loose in big spots.
I have said that this is a confidence issue which is mental. As in the MN game there were I believe two other games that we looked flat right out of the locker room. The fact that we do not have a consistently good point guard seems to IMO cause frustration then it seems it morph into lost confidense. A.so as many of us have been stating the obvious we do not have the shooter with the skill and temperament of a sniper. What better way in there to frustrate the other in the beginning of their rally.

Maybe a good to very point guard woth basically good talent can be coached to be a concisely effective PG. You can tweak and improve a player with the raw ability to shoot into the sniper. You cannot coach cross eyed Chris or shakey. hand Shaun into a deadly sniper.

Sorry for the military references but half of my brain is tuned to CNN, BBC and WSJ rooting for my cousins fighting the mad man V.lad the Invader.

Reaction Score
Not what I was getting at. Just saying so many of us think Hurley needs help.
Fair . But this idea that Kimani is superior to Danny is as absurd as this board has been the last two days. If Danny did leave, not only would the entire staff sans perhaps Tommy Moore would all go our stellar recruiting class would deconstruct. That said, Kimani would still not be the guy to replace him. Be careful with what you wish for.

Kimani has a bright future but he needs more than a half a game experience before he is UConn ready.

Reaction Score
Schools tried to steal Calhoun until he was in his late 50's. He strongly considered South Carolina after the National Championship. You can be a destination job and other schools can still come after your coach.

Stop being ridiculous. If Hurley were fired today he would have three good job offers by tomorrow. St John's fans would be begging their AD to make a move.

Reaction Score
No one has called for Kimani to replace Dan. People are just pointing out that Kimani did a great job outmaneuvering Jay Wright. Dan hasn’t outmaneuvered the better coaches he’s faced.

It could simply be that Dan needs more talent to beat these guys his way. If he brings in the right players, that will be fine with the naysayers.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
With a JC team. KO and his teams tanked after that season.....
Stop all that BS crap about with a JC team - who do you think recuited Kemba, Bazz, Lamb and a ton of those players?
Lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing
Do your homework

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stop being ridiculous. If Hurley were fired today he would have three good job offers by tomorrow. St John's fans would be begging their AD to make a move.
Is it Comedy hour time already? Please spell out the 3 good teams - and try to be realistic. The demand for coaches who have taken their team to two consecutive dances and lost both years to lower ranked teams aren't in high demand
St Johns isn't going away from Anderson - he did a lot more with less than DH had.

Reaction Score
Is it Comedy hour time already? Please spell out the 3 good teams - and try to be realistic. The demand for coaches who have taken their team to two consecutive dances and lost both years to lower ranked teams aren't in high demand
St Johns isn't going away from Anderson - he did a lot more with less than DH had.

If you don't think Hurley would generate a ton of interest if we let him go you are absolutely clueless. Stop embarrassing yourself.

and BTW Willard just lost in the first round and is likely on his way to Maryland, OK captain clueless?

I bet South Carolina would be interested in Hurley if they wanted Sean Miller (yuck)

Anderson is doing a better Job than Hurley? GTFOOH!!! What planet are you from?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom