Please Rodney Stay!! | The Boneyard

Please Rodney Stay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With him we are still a contender. I think Larrier and Jackson and cover the wing. Need Rodney to stay and be part of an athletic and talented backcourt. Plus we can go to a 3 guard lineup and give other teams fits.

Reaction Score
If our best player DHam is gone,we have a weak front court, and he is not an NBA prospect and can make money somewhere, why does he stay?

Reaction Score
I'm just a big Rodney fan, he's had his tough moments, but he seems like a great kid and he has fun out there. The UConn teams I've loved the most all had fun out on the court. I like the exuberance that Purvis and Adams bring to the game, Brimah too.

Reaction Score
If our best player DHam is gone,we have a weak front court, and he is not an NBA prospect and can make money somewhere, why does he stay?
well presumably he'd get his diploma this year, right? so that's something. and he'd have another year to develop and learn under Ollie

and barring a bad injury, any overseas money that's available to him this year will be waiting for him next year

Reaction Score
well presumably he'd get his diploma this year, right? so that's something. and he'd have another year to develop and learn under Ollie

and barring a bad injury, any overseas money that's available to him this year will be waiting for him next year
I hope you are right.

Reaction Score
I've seen mocks with him in the second round next year. Granted, it wasn't on draftexpress, which I find the most reliable, but you never know. Jerian Grant was old and his stock still skyrocketed as a super senior. Purvis could play his way into the back end of the draft and become a much more popular player nationally next year, would help him overseas too.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because Hamilton's departure means that Purvis is the unquestioned leader of the team next year. Why not come back and take your team on a deep tourney run. Good for him, good for the school, good for his pro hopes.

Reaction Score
Yes I hope that RP stays as he will one of the key contributors next year and can play SF in a pinch in a 3 guard line-up. He really gives us a lot of flexibility on offense. I hope he stays also but I'm not getting my hopes up after DHAM's decision even if they aren't mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
Gotta think he sees himself as the team leader next year and can be the leading scorer. I think he is much more of an Ollie guy than DHam and listens to him and takes his advice more readily. After next year, RP certainly has a good career in Europe for sure.

Reaction Score
Rodney exemplifies what I prefer from a player wearing the uniform. I've always had your back Rodney (not that you would care) and will wish you nothing but success however your future plays out.
Totally agree. KO set unrealistic expectations with the quote in the off year, but Rodney works as hard on D as anyone we've had in a while. You could tell he put a lot of work in on his three-point shot in this past offseason to become a more reliable shooter. Awesome ambassador for the program, really hope he stays. He's also been gracious to my kids the two times we've met him.

Reaction Score
He'll make a great recruiter for us one day if/when he decides to join the team on the other side of the bench.

Reaction Score
It sounds crazy, but Rodney would be an awesome assistant coach the day his eligibility expires. I know he wants to play pro ball, and he should try, but if it doesn't work out, I think he should join the staff immediately, at like age 24.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It sounds crazy, but Rodney would be an awesome assistant coach the day his eligibility expires. I know he wants to play pro ball, and he should try, but if it doesn't work out, I think he should join the staff immediately, at like age 24.
I love the kid's attitude, but one of the strangest phenomenons on this board imo is the overwhelming assumption that so many of our former players (a) would make great coaches; and (b) should join our staff despite lacking coaching experience.

I don't get it.

Reaction Score
With him we are still a contender. I think Larrier and Jackson and cover the wing. Need Rodney to stay and be part of an athletic and talented backcourt. Plus we can go to a 3 guard lineup and give other teams fits.

lol no we aren't

Reaction Score

Times are changing man and a diploma simply does not mean what it used to. He will be a professional basketball player somewhere (Not in NBA) and make good money.

Reaction Score
Because Hamilton's departure means that Purvis is the unquestioned leader of the team next year. Why not come back and take your team on a deep tourney run. Good for him, good for the school, good for his pro hopes.

You really think Purvis is capable of that?

Reaction Score

Why?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You really think Purvis is capable of that?
Good question. I think that Purvis thinks that he's capable of that, for sure.

Yeah, I think he's a charismatic enthusiastic kid who can get a bunch of underclassman to drink the koolaid. I'm not sure that he go full Kemba and put and team on his back though.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I love the kid's attitude, but one of the strangest phenomenons on this board imo is the overwhelming assumption that so many of our former players (a) would make great coaches; and (b) should join our staff despite lacking coaching experience.

I don't get it.

In Purvis's case specifically, there's documentation of his aptitude for hosting recruits on visits and making them feel at home, as well as his general charisma and ability to act as an ambassador for the program. Granted this is too high of a level for him to jump into right off the bat, but those qualities can definitely translate into a career as a recruiting-focused assistant if he chooses that path.

To me, there's a definite difference between "let's bring Ray on board and let Emeka coach the bigs" and this.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
lol no we aren't

I think you are selling the team, players, KO, the staff and RP short
looks/sounds like you are one of the glass half empty guys
Appears you haven't been here long - we don't need more downers here - there's already too many

Reaction Score

I don't get it.

except i dont think people say that about everyone. no one thought lamb, or oriaki, or roscoe or daniels or boatright would be great coaches. our entire coaching staff is guards who played at uconn; when people see a guard (bazz, purvis, the two recent examples), who plays incredibly hard, clearly loves the university and has a personality that allows them to engage with anyone, saying he could make a successful coach is not a reach at all. especially when its a guy who can probably play ball for a while and make good money, but is not going to be an NBA fixture. rodney-though i do not know him personally-seems to fit this profile to a T. To your point, maybe uconn folks are more apt than those at other schools to consider and discuss the idea of players becoming future coaches, but they do not suggest every player and the ones they do generally make sense.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

If you are talking about RP I think he will get his diploma this year. If he comes back next season it will be as a graduate student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom