Please find a qb in portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Please find a qb in portal

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I sure hope someone in Mora's staff is reading this because he'd most likely just sit pat at QB without the boneyard's input.
You go with what you got, and when TR went down we had ZT. The team went from 1-11 to 6-7 in Mora year 1 and ZT contributed greatly to that result. Pat the kid on the back and thank him for his effort, next year will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
Amen. Our WRs couldn't get open and he made rookie mistakes. He was looking much better in the second half and then Marshall turned up the heat.
We had receivers open, Turner just never looked their way. There were about 4 plays where Clercius was wide open.

Reaction Score
Amen. Our WRs couldn't get open and he made rookie mistakes. He was looking much better in the second half and then Marshall turned up the heat.
There were numerous plays today where he could have thrown a WR open. Throwing inside instead of outside, or deeper instead of short. He is beyond his skillset.

Reaction Score
There were numerous plays today where he could have thrown a WR open. Throwing inside instead of outside, or deeper instead of short. He is beyond his skillset.
The one were Clercius had no corner on him and Zion did not look his way, plus took forever get the snap off before ’ Marshall called a timeout will be one I’ll never forget

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
To be fair, even when he tries to push the ball down the field his receivers just get tackled before getting a chance to make the catch.

That no call was absurd, but the penalty on Mora afterwards is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
The one were Clercius had no corner on him and Zion did not look his way, plus took forever get the snap off before ’ Marshall called a timeout will be one I’ll never forget
Hearing these comments from people whom were actually in the stands, at the game, is insightful for those of us back home watching on TV only seeing the part of the field that the camera shows us.

If attendees are universally saying that WRs are open but not being targeted by ZT then that’s hard evidence about the limit of his capabilities.

It appears that the coaches are solidly behind him though. Kind of a head scratcher. He has certain leadership qualities you want in a QB…like toughness mentally and physically. But not the talent.

Reaction Score
Hearing these comments from people whom were actually in the stands, at the game, is insightful for those of us back home watching on TV only seeing the part of the field that the camera shows us.

If attendees are universally saying that WRs are open but not being targeted by ZT then that’s hard evidence about the limit of his capabilities.

It appears that the coaches are solidly behind him though. Kind of a head scratcher. He has certain leadership qualities you want in a QB…like toughness mentally and physically. But not the talent.
Not a head scratcher to me. He's the best they got according to the coaches. They feel others on the roster would not do as well. So, as the head coach you support, coach and encourage him. Doesn't mean he won't get recruited over or Roberson takes his spot next year. What's really great about Mora is how he supports everyone on the roster who puts in the effort regardless of their success. Doesn't mean guys won't improve or better talent will be added.

Reaction Score
While I agree that ZT need some work if he wants to hold on to the number one spot at QB, what I would pay to see ZT have a healthy running back core (5 capable RB's, count 'em 5) and Ross, Marion, Joly and Aaron Turner (4 very capable WR/TE) for a full season.

Oh what might have been. Or might not have been. We will never know.

What a fun year.

Reaction Score
I’m quite sure number 1 on Mora’s Christmas list is a QB. It’s disappointing to see how limited ZT’s capabilities have developed.

Reaction Score
Outside of a few QBs, true freshman QBs are not going to play well. So, I think ZT will improve. That said, I think every position has to have competition and you bring in the best talent you can at every position including QB.

Reaction Score
The most prized attribute in a QB is processing speed...a QB that can see the entire field, process who the open target is, and hit that target, has the makings of a great QB.

Arm strength, speed, etc., is secondary in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Zion did his best this year. He is not a runner. He runs only when protection breaks down. He does not have top level speed. Why Charlton led off the game with that play is mind boggling. 12 and 3/4 games in I am not seeing it for ZT to be handed the job next year. He needs to work on his running speed and decision making bigtime. Finding open receivers, more accurate downfield throws and a midrange passing game instead of all short screens has to be found or next year will be very disappointing. Some of the receivers looked unhappy today. ZT needs to be way better for UConn to get to where Coach Mora wants to go.
That seems like a mountain of work. I hope he can do it but I wouldn't count on all of it being cured. And no he doesn't have WR speed. I wasn't kidding during the season when I suggested that instead of Millen for the option plays maybe Rosa could run them. That's when we had 3 solid rb's. But ZT does throw a nice deep ball most of the time, and when he misses it's not by much. That said there needs to be a competition in '23.

Reaction Score
The most prized attribute in a QB is processing speed...a QB that can see the entire field, process who the open target is, and hit that target, has the makings of a great QB.

Arm strength, speed, etc., is secondary in my opinion.
Actually a great point. Quick release with accuracy is next in line.

Reaction Score
A really good QB can change this football program and I do not think that QB is on our roster currently unfortunately

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be a true competition this spring at QB and there will be at least one portal QB to push that challenge. And I would expect another portal QB to come in July if the spring competition underwhelms.

It was a tough crash course of a season. ZT got the job done for a six wins and for that I am very grateful. Thanks ZT.

Reaction Score
A true freshman led a team that was 1- 11 last year to a bowl game this year and you are unhappy. Can you do better?
That's not the question. You think he was the unique contribution that lead to 6-6? He wasn't.

edit: he is a true freshman. Can he improve? Sure. Is he the starter going into next season? Without serious improvement I sure hope not. He made some really stunning plays that almost prove no progression. Especially that last interception where he threw a dodo right into the middle of the end-zone. He doesn't have the speed necessary to be a speed QB and if he was we would have used it. He doesn't have the accuracy and can't read well. Can he improve these things? Sure. Do I want to rely on that for next season. No.

I think this coddling attitude is backwards thinking.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was a true freshman, yea he played his heart out, yea I'm sure he's a lovely kid, but we need to bring in transferS to compete for the starting job next year. He literally handed them the final difference in the first two drives, with turnovers that are frankly embarrassing. Maybe he can learn and improve. He'll have a chance to show it in the spring and onward.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be a true competition this spring at QB and there will be at least one portal QB to push that challenge. And I would expect another portal QB to come in July if the spring competition underwhelms.

It was a tough crash course of a season. ZT got the job done for a six wins and for that I am very grateful. Thanks ZT.

Can’t wait until spring. That’s too late. This is idiotic Edsall type thinking.

We need a QB or three on campus. Now.

Reaction Score

He plays behind the game. He deserves a year on the sideline to watch. Maybe things will slow down for him,

Reaction Score
To be fair, even when he tries to push the ball down the field his receivers just get tackled before getting a chance to make the catch.

That no call was absurd, but the penalty on Mora afterwards is ludicrous.
He needs to lead the receivers. The PIs occurred because the balls were slightly underthrown.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can’t wait until spring. That’s too late. This is idiotic Edsall type thinking.

We need a QB or three on campus. Now.
You drunk again? You’re THE guy that didn’t believe the Spanos-Mora rift was real. Sit this one out!

Btw- reading impaired? We are getting a portal QB tomorrow- someone that will be here in January ready to play.

Reaction Score
I think that QB is the position on this team that has both a. the most room to improve b. the most potential to improve. If we are being honest this year's qb play was disastrous but we were able to overcome that and have a super fun season. However I am almost certain that our QB play will be better next year with a floor of slightly better and a ceiling of way better. Next year we will theoretically have a competition between Turner, millen, and probably others and turner will need drastic improvement to retain the spot. The good news is that true freshman often times get alot better

Reaction Score
You drunk again? You’re THE guy that didn’t believe the Spanos-Mora rift was real. Sit this one out!

Btw- reading impaired? We are getting a portal QB tomorrow- someone that will be here in January ready to play.

Remove wait until spring from your mindset then. You guys have a loser mentality.

You supported Edsall. Sit the next decade out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom