Please Be Careful | The Boneyard

Please Be Careful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it’s hoops but I wanted to share this just in case. A former employees father of mine who was 78, not ill and preexisting conditions of diabetes and high blood pressure passed from Covid in just 1 week. His son who lives with him and was going to the gym brought it home. Why they never signed him up and got him the vaccine a month ago I don’t know but they could have It seems. They are all devastated over something preventable. If you have aged people you know go and call for them to get an appointment as many are not computer savvy or will not take the initiative themselves. No one is wearing masks in the gyms ( I got the vaccine) and I understand that because you can’t breathe well. Second person I know but the first got it too early for the vaccine.

Reaction Score
I know it’s hoops but I wanted to share this just in case. A former employees father of mine who was 78, not ill and preexisting conditions of diabetes and high blood pressure passed from Covid in just 1 week. His son who lives with him and was going to the gym brought it home. Why they never signed him up and got him the vaccine a month ago I don’t know but they could have It seems. They are all devastated over something preventable. If you have aged people you know go and call for them to get an appointment as many are not computer savvy or will not take the initiative themselves. No one is wearing masks in the gyms ( I got the vaccine) and I understand that because you can’t breathe well. Second person I know but the first got it too early for the vaccine.
I don’t know what gyms you’re citing, but I’m a member at 3 CT gyms and every one wears masks. Even if you pull the mask down and expose your nose, you get told fairly quickly to pull it back up, and disinfecting spray bottles are all over the place. Even so many members have already been vaccinated myself included.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is impossible to say if he got it at the gym. Still, yes, elderly people and people with high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol need to get vaccinated. Sad that it took him so quickly. Was he given any therapeutics?

Reaction Score
I don’t know what gyms you’re citing, but I’m a member at 3 CT gyms and every one wears masks. Even if you pull the mask down and expose your nose, you get told fairly quickly to pull it back up, and disinfecting spray bottles are all over the place. Many members have already been vaccinated myself included.
I was at LAFitness in Florida gulf coast yesterday. Mostly young people but several old and zero masks. I myself tried the mask on the running machine and could not hack it, but I’m inoculated and staying away from those who are not.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what gyms you’re citing, but I’m a member at 3 CT gyms and every one wears masks. Even if you pull the mask down and expose your nose, you get told fairly quickly to pull it back up, and disinfecting spray bottles are all over the place. Many members have already been vaccinated myself included.

There are at least a dozen people without masks at my planet fitness every night when I go.

@jibsey I'm sorry to here that. Stay well and RIP

Reaction Score
I was at LAFitness in Florida gulf coast yesterday. Mostly young people but several old and zero masks. I myself tried the mask on the running machine and could not hack it, but I’m inoculated and staying away from those who are not.
Florida is an open state now, isn’t it? CT still has a mask mandate for gyms for gyms and rightfully so, as CT is near the top of the list in population density, as is New Jersey, Rhode Island, Mass, NY and DC, while Florida is in the middle of the pack in population density. Where ever there is a high density of people is where protocols should still be observed, that being said, for me I still wear a mask no matter where I go. It’s no coincidence that Rhode Island still has the 2nd highest infection rate in the country. Farming states have recently saw a rise in infections, places like the Dakota’s, Nebraska, Montana, etc because there is nothing except corn and wheat for hundreds of square miles, with the local population clustered into small but very densely populated cities. Only now has the virus managed to cross those spacious states and infect people in those densely packed areas turning them into mini Rhode Islands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I heard many stories about kids infecting their parents and the parent dying. Regardless of how it happened, the kid living with that has got to feel freakin terrible. It may be a feeling that will never go away, without help.

Hopefully he/she can forgive themselves.

Reaction Score
The masks for athletics designed by some major makers like Under Armour have worked wonders. My kids have been playing indoor soccer with masks on, running 5 miles a game, and it has been OK for them. Occasionally you'll see players pull them down if they begin to hyperventilate, but they put them back on fairly quickly. It is within the rules. Any player who pulls the mask down for an extended period (say a minute) must be subbed off.

I know there is no real science behind youth sports and masks but there have been studies that show statistically the transmission is rare when using masks.

I still don't understand why soccer games are allowed but not hockey. Must be something to do with condensation and the ice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I heard many stories about kids infecting their parents and the parent dying. Regardless of how it happened, the kid living with that has got to feel freakin terrible. It may be a feeling that will never go away, without help.

Hopefully he/she can forgive themselves.
I'm also concerned at the other end for our youngest daughter, who turns 15 next week. Unless they clear one of these vaccines for kids under 16, she'll have a year during which we are all vaccinated and she isn't, so we'll have to remind ourselves of that as we relax our standards.

I know it's usually no issue for kids her age, but I'd rather not find out.

As for working out with masks in gyms, my buddy goes to a Crossfit gym religiously every day and he said that they all wear some kind of bridge in between the mask and their face that helps you breathe better; and they all use the same kind of mask. Nike or UA I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm also concerned at the other end for our youngest daughter, who turns 15 next month. Unless they clear one of these vaccines for kids under 16, she'll have a year during which we are all vaccinated and she isn't, so we'll have to remind ourselves of that as we relax our standards.

I know it's usually no issue for kids her age, but I'd rather not find out.

As for working out with masks in gyms, my buddy goes to a Crossfit gym religiously every day and he said that they all wear some kind of bridge in between the mask and their face that helps you breathe better; and they all use the same kind of mask. Nike or UA I think.
I've heard you can show up at vaccination sites at the end if the day and see if they have extra even if too young. Your daughter might just get the shot that way.

Reaction Score
My wife is a pediatric nurse. I'm not sure that's gonna fly until it's medically cleared for people her age.
Right, I forgot she's under 16. It will be approved for her but that has to come first.

Reaction Score
So glad we are inoculated....haven't seen our son for a year...now planning his visit...

Nobody that I really knew has died of Covid....but we were not taking chances in our 70's...

Reaction Score
No one is wearing masks in the gyms? I've been going to the gym consistently since they opened back up nearly 9 months ago and have yet to see a single person not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly/below the nose. What state is he in?

Reaction Score
No one is wearing masks in the gyms? I've been going to the gym consistently since they opened back up nearly 9 months ago and have yet to see a single person not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly/below the nose. What state is he in?
I'm in Florida, but someone in Ct. saw no masks. 20 and 30 year Olds have little to fear themselves. I was at LAFitness. Anyone at LAFitness in Ct?

Reaction Score
Yep.
Which Planet Fitness? I’m a member at The Edge and two Club 24’s in CT and have never seen some one working out without a mask on at any of those places. Although I will admit to seeing a few individuals with their mask pulled down just below the nose if doing cardio, however if employees see that they immediately ask the individual to pull it back up. I know because I was one of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which Planet Fitness? I’m a member at The Edge and two Club 24’s and have never seen some one working out without a mask on at any of those places. Although I will admit to seeing a few individuals with their mask pulled down just below the nose, however if employees see that they immediately ask the individual to pull it back up. I know because I was one of them.

Meriden. It's usually a few groups of high school kids that put their masks around their chins instead of wearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom