Playoff going to 12 in 2026 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Playoff going to 12 in 2026

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We didn't leave the AAC for football as much as we were kicked out after we decided to move all of our other sports. We wanted to stay for football and the AAC said no.

BTW it wasn't the AAC schedule that drove fans away as much as it was pitiful coaching hires producing pitiful football. Take a look at what UCF and Cincy accomplished with their AAC schedule. Most northeast fans only show up if the teams are putting a good product on the field.

I'll post the below schedule again. The laughable thing about the below opponents is that we have Boneyarders singing the praises of these independent home games when they are announced but God forbid we join a conference with teams like this. IMO these games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Here are our currently scheduled October and November home games after this year:

USF
Sacred Heart
Temple
Georgia State
FIU
UAB
UMASS
James Madison
Syracuse (the one outlier)
Army
Rice
Army.
Our 2027 home slate:
Ole Miss
UNC
Syracuse
Temple
Army
Old Dominion

Reaction Score
Our 2027 home slate:
Ole Miss
UNC
Syracuse
Temple
Army
Old Dominion

That is impressive, but is not the norm. In theory we would be able to keep 2 of those 3 P6 home games even if we joined a conference.

Also as we have seen in the past, 2027 is long ways away, let's hope those P6 games stay on the schedule.

Have you taken a look at the current 2024 and 2025 home schedules? Yikes. Hopefully Benedict can pull a rabbit out of his hat to salvage those years.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That is impressive, but is not the norm. In theory we would be able to keep 2 of those 3 P6 home games even if we joined a conference.

Also as we have seen in the past, 2027 is long ways away, let's hope those P6 games stay on the schedule.

Have you taken a look at the current 2024 and 2025 home schedules? Yikes. Hopefully Benedict can pull a rabbit out of his hat to salvage those years.
2024-25 are the weakest schedules we have mustered. However, 21-22 and 26-28 are much better so I don't think that is a pattern. There is a rumor btw that an ACC P5 series will fit somewhere in that time frame.

Reaction Score
Says the Nova fan.

Did you notice that Sun Belt school GA State opened the season against South Carolina and plays North Carolina this week? They get a pittance of P5 games too before playing a meaningful conference schedule. Starting in 2026 they even get a shot at a playoff bid.
I’m a UConn fan and I agree with him. Brands matter to this base. Stay in the Big East with indy football until the ACC or BIG come calling.

Reaction Score
I’m a UConn fan and I agree with him. Brands matter to this base. Stay in the Big East with indy football until the ACC or BIG come calling.

Fine, but lets be clear, indy is not P6, it is G5 without conference mates and it also means we have no shot at the G5 bowl bid starting in 2026. There is a crazy notion among some that independence puts us somewhere between the P5 and the G5, that is a delusional fantasy.

Keep going as an independent so we can get wasted on the road by Tennessee and Michigan instead of playing competitive games against Liberty, Western Kentucky. Have at it. It's delusion at its best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't mind staying Indie short term but UCONN has a long road back. We have to hope that 1. Coach Mora can do a miraculous job getting UCONN back to winning and 2. It somehow gets an invite to the ACC. No other P2/P3 conference is an option. Joining a G5 conference at least gives the program a realistic goal: Winning a conference championship in the not too distant future. Not likely but a goal nevertheless.

What number are people comfortable with:. "If UCONN does not join a G5 conference, it will be Indie for a minimum of X years"

Reaction Score
Fine, but lets be clear, indy is not P6, it is G5 without conference mates and it also means we have no shot at the G5 bowl bid starting in 2026. There is a crazy notion among some that independence puts us somewhere between the P5 and the G5, that is a delusional fantasy.

Keep going as an independent so we can get wasted on the road by Tennessee and Michigan instead of playing competitive games against Liberty, Western Kentucky. Have at it. It's delusion at its best.
Independent football at UConn will not be forever. It is a strategic decision to go this route as a potential bridge to getting into the ACC or the like. Leaving the AAC was the correct move for the AD as a whole. It has brought more fan interest, attendance, donations, and hope for a better future. Yes, a new football coaching staff was needed to bring us back up the football power standings - no matter what conference we were in or not. The upside with leaving the AAC is that (presumably) once football shows improvement, it positions us to make the jump to the ACC or its equal. If football doesn't improve enough/fast enough, then it leaves us having to stay independent or move into a G5 league for football.

Bowls are not once what they used to be. Pretty much becoming insignificant. Our chances of becoming top 12 to qualify for the CFP are likely 5 percent or less - even if we win 10 games. So, that shouldn't drive our decisions.

Being a glass is half full person, I am betting on football improvement and with the changing conference landscape a better conference situation.

Reaction Score
Independent football at UConn will not be forever. It is a strategic decision to go this route as a potential bridge to getting into the ACC or the like. Leaving the AAC was the correct move for the AD as a whole. It has brought more fan interest, attendance, donations, and hope for a better future. Yes, a new football coaching staff was needed to bring us back up the football power standings - no matter what conference we were in or not. The upside with leaving the AAC is that (presumably) once football shows improvement, it positions us to make the jump to the ACC or its equal. If football doesn't improve enough/fast enough, then it leaves us having to stay independent or move into a G5 league for football.

Bowls are not once what they used to be. Pretty much becoming insignificant. Our chances of becoming top 12 to qualify for the CFP are likely 5 percent or less - even if we win 10 games. So, that shouldn't drive our decisions.

Being a glass is half full person, I am betting on football improvement and with the changing conference landscape a better conference situation.
Those are all solid points. I could see kids wanting to play for Coach Mora because he really brings the energy and the experience. But outside of that, what is the big draw for a recruit in the short term? A chance to get pummeled by Michigan? Run out of Knoxville? A contributor to bringing some life back into a program so it may have a future? I think a kid needs some concrete goals and playing in a conference, any conference, adds that. I don't think any G5 conference will say sure, come play here until you get that ACC invite so it's probably a moot point, but you never know. The MAC seems perfectly content to be what it is but bringing in UCONN would add a little - something.

Reaction Score

What is P6? Who is the 6th power conference in football? I keep seeing you post this. Just curious.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why people don't understand and admit that UConn fans, outside a of small handful, have no interest in playing MAC, Sunbelt or even AAC football. It is incredibly obvious. Something like 90% of season ticket holders prefer Independence. It isn't appealing to fans that experienced Big East football. In fact, it would almost seem like throwing in the towel to most of us. We are on the best course available, just embrace it.

Also, there is no P6 and there never was. The argument that the AAC was a very formidable football conference died when UCF, Cincy and Houston turned in their resignations. Any reasonable argument for a P6 is completely dead now.

Reaction Score
What is P6? Who is the 6th power conference in football? I keep seeing you post this. Just curious.

My bad, P5. I guess the old AAC marketing campaign stuck in my head. I meant P5. The 5 conferences that make all of the money.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why people don't understand and admit that UConn fans, outside a of small handful, have no interest in playing MAC, Sunbelt or even AAC football. It is incredibly obvious. Something like 90% of season ticket holders prefer Independence. It isn't appealing to fans that experienced Big East football. In fact, it would almost seem like throwing in the towel to most of us. We are on the best course available, just embrace it.

Also, there is no P6 and there never was. The argument that the AAC was a very formidable football conference died when UCF, Cincy and Houston turned in their resignations. Any reasonable argument for a P6 is completely dead now.
Similar to the minor league hockey team in Hartford

Reaction Score
And it's really a P4 now. The PAC is going to lose Oregon and Washington at some point soon.

Reaction Score
We didn't leave the AAC for football as much as we were kicked out after we decided to move all of our other sports. We wanted to stay for football and the AAC said no.

BTW it wasn't the AAC schedule that drove fans away as much as it was pitiful coaching hires producing pitiful football. Take a look at what UCF and Cincy accomplished with their AAC schedule. Most northeast fans only show up if the teams are putting a good product on the field.

I'll post the below schedule again. The laughable thing about the below opponents is that we have Boneyarders singing the praises of these independent home games when they are announced but God forbid we join a conference with teams like this. IMO these games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Here are our currently scheduled October and November home games after this year:

USF
Sacred Heart
Temple
Georgia State
FIU
UAB
UMASS
James Madison
Syracuse (the one outlier)
Army
Control? Define control. More like begging, pleading, and rationalizing.
They have Syracuse, Michigan ,Boston College and NC State on the schedule this year .

Schedule is much more interesting now than the aac. And, fans left UConn football before they were terrible.

Aac killed the program. The issue? The league was very good, and had no buzz.

That is the worst situation to be in. No one cares about Houston, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa.

Indy allows uconn to play Army, UConn, bc, Syracuse, Umass, temple and hopefully, Rutgers.

Maybe in Future years Pitt with a home and home and at Penn State

Reaction Score

First off, I don't believe this is true. I think the same fans who follow now will follow if we joined a G5 conference and more will follow if we started winning. Look at the nationwide cult following Coastal Carolina has because they win and their schedule is nothing special. Winning attracts attention and losing repels fans.

Second, this is what I mean by delusional fanbase because we are already playing these G5 teams quite a bit. Did you not follow the first two games this year when we played Utah State and FCS Central?

Reaction Score

I agree here. The fans totally rejected the aac. From football to men’s basketball.

Whatever arguments that can be made for aac and going Into a conference for football..the fanbase won’t like it.

Reaction Score
Does UConn get any CFP money since it’s not associated with a conference?

Reaction Score
I’d much rather those mid-October games with Temple, Syracuse, Army, UMass and other regional (ODU, James Madison)/varied and different opponents; rather than annual dates with Jacksonville State or Sam Houston State. Last years mid-October matchup with one of C-USA’s top remaining teams (MTSU) drew 10,698 announced and having been there about 6500 in the stands.

There’s a huge difference in perception for recruits to the school that routine plays P5 schools (even on the road) and has all its games televised and a team playing a C-USA slate on a small streaming website. That’s before you factor in the lost revenue from a TV deal that is smaller than UConn’s football only deal and forgone opportunities against P5 schools.

There is merit to joining a conference for football only… just not C-USA. A conference that can offer better revenue? Sure. That wouldn’t diminish UConn in the eyes of recruits? OK. One that winning would offer a materially better chance to reach that 6th conference champion bid to the playoffs? Absolutely. C-USA is not that and would represent a step back over the current Independent situation.

Reaction Score
Does UConn get any CFP money since it’s not associated with a conference?
Yes... there is pool of money split between the Independent schools (minus Notre Dame). IIRC it was like $325k +/-

Reaction Score
If the top 4 seeds are the top 4 conference champions with byes, does that mean conference champion 5 and 6 are the fifth and sixth seeds without a bye and the highest ranking a nonconference champion or ND can have is seventh? Or, are conference champion 5 and 6 mixed in with the six who were not conference champions?
They just told you there’s be a P4 in short order.

Reaction Score
I agree here. The fans totally rejected the aac. From football to men’s basketball.

Whatever arguments that can be made for aac and going Into a conference for football..the fanbase won’t like it.
Fans totally rejected the AAC because UCONN sucked *ss and never played above .500 in football and yes, it was awful for basketball. If UCONN Football had been remotely successful against Cinci, SMU, UCF, USF, Houston, Temple, Navy, Tulane, then it would have been a different story. Like you said, the AAC was a very good conference with no buzz but if UCONN had been winning and competing for championships, fans would have viewed it much differently.

Of course fans prefer to play in a B1G or ACC over MAC or Sunbelt but that is not happening. We can hope that UCONN jumps from one of the worst programs in the country to P5 level, but hope is a dangerous thing.

Another point: Fans of programs care about other programs in their conference. They follow each other. No one cares about UCONN Football outside of our fanbase and that has to affect recruiting too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom