Playoff going to 12 in 2026 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Playoff going to 12 in 2026

Reaction Score
The 12 Team playoff is great for college football and partially mitigates the moves of the P-2 away from the next 3.

This playoff format assures 1 G5 and leaves an opening for another G5/Indy as a participant. Past teams like Boise State and UCF would have a shot in this format.
The trade off for giving everyone more access will be more money for the SEC and Big Ten. When the financial details are revealed, those two conferences will make more than everyone else from this expansion. They definitely didn’t agree to do this out of the kindness of their hearts.

The trade off also helps the P2 with future expansion. It’s hard for Congress to cry monopoly with the B1G and SEC when everyone has more access than ever before. This helps pave the way for further raids of the PAC 12 and ACC if the B1G and SEC decide to expand further.

Reaction Score
Here's an example of how a 12-school playoff would have worked out since 2014, with liberties taken for recent realignment. IOW, the conference totals are skewered because I'm including Oklahoma as part of the SEC; USC as part of the B1G; Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston as part of the B12; and ND needing to finish in the Top 10-12 (also consider that ND never gets a bye since ND is not part of a conference).

Looking at these playoff schools over the years, the 12-school playoff will prove to be wildly popular, and, to avoid byes (and generate more $), I foresee a 16-school playoff in short order. Because of gameday attendance, I suspect the idea of "keeping the bowls alive" will be soon scraped in favor of more $ by playing at the home of the higher ranked school. Emulating the NFL, and, again, assuming attendance holds up, the finals will be played at a predetermined site as a college version "Super Bowl", along with all of the associated hype.

The following from CBS (with notations for realignment "what ifs"):

Byes (Top Ranked Conference Champions)
1) Alabama
2) Michigan
3) Cincinnati (B12 conference champion)
4) Baylor (BU falls to RoF since not a conference champion)
Rest of Field (X=Conference Champions)
5) Georgia
6) Notre Dame
7) Ohio State
8) Ole Miss
9) Oklahoma State
10) Michigan State (MSU drops out due to need for next up conference champion)
11) Utah = X (Utah rises to 4 as PAC conference champion)
12) Pittsburg = X

SEC = 3
B1G = 2 (3 - 1)
ACC = 1
B12 = 3
PAC = 1
Others = 1 (0 + 1)
ND = 1 (Top 10-12)

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Ohio State
4) Oklahoma (SEC: OU falls to RoF since not a conference champion)
5) Notre Dame
6) Texas A&M
7) Florida
8) Cincinnati = X (B12: Cincy rises to 4 as B12 conference champion)
9) Georgia
10) Iowa State
11) Indiana (IU drops out due to need for next up conference champion)
12) Coastal Carolina = X

SEC = 5
B1G = 1 (2 - 1)
ACC = 1
B12 = 2
PAC = 0
Others = 2 (1 + 1)
ND = 1 (Top 10-12)

1) LSU
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
5) Georgia
6) Oregon = X (OR rises to 4 as PAC conference champion)
7) Baylor
8) Wisconsin
9) Florida
10) Penn State
11) Utah (Utah drops out due to need for next up conference champion)
12) Memphis = X

SEC = 4
B1G = 3
ACC = 1
B12 = 1
PAC = 1 (2 - 1)
Others = 2 (1 + 1)

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Oklahoma (SEC: OU falls to RoF since not a conference champion)
4) Ohio State
5) Notre Dame
6) Georgia
7) Michigan
8) UCF = X (B12: UCF rises to 4 as B12 conference champion)
9) Washington = X
10) Florida
11) LSU
12) Penn State (PSU drops out due to need for next up conference champion)

SEC = 5
B1G = 2 (3 - 1)
ACC = 1
B12 = 1
PAC = 1
Others = 1 (0 + 1)
ND = 1 (Top 10-12)

1) Clemson
2) Oklahoma (SEC conference champion)
3) Georgia (GA falls to RoF since not a conference champion)
4) Ohio State
5) Alabama
6) Wisconsin
7) Auburn
8) USC = X (B1G: Not a conference champion)
9) Penn State
10) Miami (Miami drops out due to need for next up conference champion)
11) Washington (WA rises to 4 since WA wins the PAC with USC to B1G)
12) UCF = X (B12 conference champion)

SEC = 4
B1G = 4
ACC = 1 (2 - 1)
B12 = 1
PAC = 1
Others = 1 (0 + 1)

1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Washington
4) Penn State
5) Ohio State
6) Michigan
7) Oklahoma = X (SEC: Not a conference champion)
8) Wisconsin
9) USC (B1G)
10) Colorado
11) Florida State (FSU drops out due to need for next up conference champion)
12) Western Michigan = X

SEC = 2
B1G = 5
ACC = 1 (2 - 1)
B12 = 0
PAC = 2
Others = 2 (1 + 1)

1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Michigan State
5) Iowa
6) Stanford = X (Stanford rises to 4 as PAC conference champion)
7) Ohio State
8) Notre Dame
9) Florida State
10) North Carolina
11) TCU (TCU becomes B12 conference champion since OU is in SEC)
12) Houston = X (B12: TCU wins B12 so Houston drops out due to need for next up conference champion)

SEC = 2
B1G = 3
ACC = 3
B12 = 1 (2 - 1)
PAC = 1
Others = 1 (0 + 1)
ND = 1 (Top 10-12)

1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) Florida State
4) Ohio State
5) Baylor = X
6) TCU
7) Mississippi State
8) Michigan State
9) Ole Miss
10) Arizona
11) Kansas State
12) Boise State = X

SEC = 3
B1G = 2
ACC = 1
B12 = 3
PAC = 2
Others = 1

Reaction Score
ND plays 4 ACC games this year: UNC, SU, Clemson, BC. Why only 4? Currently ranked opponent Ohio State, BYU, Clemson, USC.

Because the Irish play six ACC games next season...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The trade off for giving everyone more access will be more money for the SEC and Big Ten. When the financial details are revealed, those two conferences will make more than everyone else from this expansion. They definitely didn’t agree to do this out of the kindness of their hearts.

The trade off also helps the P2 with future expansion. It’s hard for Congress to cry monopoly with the B1G and SEC when everyone has more access than ever before. This helps pave the way for further raids of the PAC 12 and ACC if the B1G and SEC decide to expand further.

What school are you a fan of?

Reaction Score
HUH?

I didn't see anything different in Rufus's posted article than stuff posted here a dozen times...

Yeah...the Big Ten will get paid gazillions.....Yes, the SEC will too,

And yes...other programs are, and will be, financially, circling in the outer ring of the solar system far from the warmth of the sun.

Reaction Score
UConn and UMass need to join CUSA in football only. I think that is the only conference where an invite might be possible.

The MAC would make sense, but they kicked out UMass a few years back for not joining in all sports.

AAC would make sense, but how likely would they want UConn back for football only?

MW is too far away and revenues wouldn’t make the extra travel costs worth it.

SBC would be interesting, but I don’t see them wanting to go to the northeast.
Sunbelt would be fun for UCONN and UMass, football only. ODU just knocked of VPI and the conference is already reaching up through Virginia and WV.

1662477012664.png

Reaction Score
Sunbelt would be fun for UCONN and UMass, football only. ODU just knocked of VPI and the conference is already reaching up through Virginia and WV.

View attachment 78845

It would be a fun conference for football, but the majority of the board prefers that we play a meaningless rag-tag schedule while we bide our time in G5 purgatory.

The people who claim they prefer an independent schedule with a pittance of P-5 games mixed in better show up at the Rent on Saturday. Talk is cheap.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1) Is there any conference that would add us as a football only?

2) Would that be worth jeopardizing our BE membership?

Note - when we rejoined the BE we agreed to not join a conference for football. I imagine joining the Sun Belt or CUSA would at a minimum kick in some financial penalty. The MAC is a non-starter as they require full membership.

Reaction Score
This year’s Indy schedule is way better than a Sun Belt conference schedule.

Says the Nova fan.

Did you notice that Sun Belt school GA State opened the season against South Carolina and plays North Carolina this week? They get a pittance of P5 games too before playing a meaningful conference schedule. Starting in 2026 they even get a shot at a playoff bid.

Reaction Score
1) Is there any conference that would add us as a football only?

2) Would that be worth jeopardizing our BE membership?

Note - when we rejoined the BE we agreed to not join a conference for football. I imagine joining the Sun Belt or CUSA would at a minimum kick in some financial penalty. The MAC is a non-starter as they require full membership.

That’s not exactly true…

1662483958984.png

… taking all sports and exiting the Big East altogether has exit fees attached (page 3 of agreement in hyperlink).

Reaction Score
That’s not exactly true…

View attachment 78853
… taking all sports and exiting the Big East altogether has exit fees attached (page 3 of agreement in hyperlink).
So is Jim Mora considered "the University" and are his words in any way shape or form taking action to facilitate or encouraging any inquiries or the making of any proposal?

“My goal is that we’re a Power Five team,” Mora said.

Reaction Score
So is Jim Mora considered "the University" and are his words in any way shape or form taking action to facilitate or encouraging any inquiries or the making of any proposal?

“My goal is that we’re a Power Five team,” Mora said.
? Read the first sentence of (b).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rankings are adjusted to the desired outcome not the other way around.

The top 6 conference champions will be the current P5 plus 1 current G5. The rest of the field will be filled with 2nd teams from the B1G and SEC, sometimes a third, ND unless they suck plus the next best from the other P5 leagues.

Unleas of course we get 5 SEC teams because SEC.

Reaction Score
Says the Nova fan.

Did you notice that Sun Belt school GA State opened the season against South Carolina and plays North Carolina this week? They get a pittance of P5 games too before playing a meaningful conference schedule. Starting in 2026 they even get a shot at a playoff bid.
Ahhh, no. Take a look at the rest of their schedule and let us know specifically how it is better than ours (i.e. average SOS, top-20/25 opponents, regional rivals, etc).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Note - when we rejoined the BE we agreed to not join a conference for football.
Sort of. We agreed not to pursue football membership until we had officially joined the Big East. There’s no prohibition against Connecticut being in a football only conference while it is a member of the Big East. Even that limitation only applied to P5 conferences, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Ahhh, no. Take a look at the rest of their schedule and let us know specifically how it is better than ours (i.e. average SOS, top-20/25 opponents, regional rivals, etc).
If we were in a G5 league with 8 conference games what would be stopping us from scheduling 4 P6 games?

Reaction Score
UConn and UMass need to join CUSA in football only. I think that is the only conference where an invite might be possible.

The MAC would make sense, but they kicked out UMass a few years back for not joining in all sports.

AAC would make sense, but how likely would they want UConn back for football only?

MW is too far away and revenues wouldn’t make the extra travel costs worth it.

SBC would be interesting, but I don’t see them wanting to go to the northeast.
I would just as soon stay Indy. I just don’t see the money in joining a league. At least now UConn has control of this schedule.

Reaction Score
If we were in a G5 league with 8 conference games what would be stopping us from scheduling 4 P6 games?
Nothing... but at least being independent lets us schedule twice as many far more interesting games for our fanbase as opposed to the likes of those southeastern and southwestern teams that no one up here would get excited about. I'd say on this year's UConn schedule, the fan base is excited by 6 or 7 opponents whereas GA State's schedule has 3 or 4 opponents that would excite the fanbase... part of the reason why we left the AAC was because fans couldn't identify with almost all of the conference opponents (and while our team was pitiful, the opponents created no excitement for our fans either).

Reaction Score
Nothing... but at least being independent lets us schedule twice as many far more interesting games for our fanbase as opposed to the likes of those southeastern and southwestern teams that no one up here would get excited about. I'd say on this year's UConn schedule, the fan base is excited by 6 or 7 opponents whereas GA State's schedule has 3 or 4 opponents that would excite the fanbase... part of the reason why we left the AAC was because fans couldn't identify with almost all of the conference opponents (and while our team was pitiful, the opponents created no excitement for our fans either).

We didn't leave the AAC for football as much as we were kicked out after we decided to move all of our other sports. We wanted to stay for football and the AAC said no.

BTW it wasn't the AAC schedule that drove fans away as much as it was pitiful coaching hires producing pitiful football. Take a look at what UCF and Cincy accomplished with their AAC schedule. Most northeast fans only show up if the teams are putting a good product on the field.

I'll post the below schedule again. The laughable thing about the below opponents is that we have Boneyarders singing the praises of these independent home games when they are announced but God forbid we join a conference with teams like this. IMO these games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Here are our currently scheduled October and November home games after this year:

USF
Sacred Heart
Temple
Georgia State
FIU
UAB
UMASS
James Madison
Syracuse (the one outlier)
Army
Rice
Army.