Players that need to step up | The Boneyard

Players that need to step up

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The 4-year seniors have been here (more than) long enough
so that their proclivities are quite well understood, have been discussed and analyzed to death and a call to "step up," because the team requires it is
pretty naive.

Not that it can't happen, surely won't happen...it certainly might...but if that is the game-plan, get more and consistent production out of our 4 year seniors...I have a bridge to sell you.

With the 2 upper-class short-timers, that is a different story. If one to able to take some of the overall responsibility; point and minutes from E, she might well blossom and Dorka is looking like a world beater...

Getting some skilled guard reinforcements is the short-term answer

Demanding increased production from players with a clear 4-year record of not stepping up in that regard seems folly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And yet amazingly, Williams stepped up BIG time in the tournament last year. I don't think it was naive or folly for fans to expect CW to continue her great play from the end of last season. That's just one example.

The team is missing Paige, Aubrey, Nika and Azzi. With Paige being out for an extended period of time, and possibly the rest of the season (no one knows how long it will take her to heal 100% and then be back at 100%), it's inevitable that other players "need to step up".

Last year and the beginning of this year, the team had the luxury of relying on Paige to bail them out. She did it single-handedly vs. SC last season when no one wanted the ball at the end of the game, so she took over and created for herself.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the coaches, fans, and other teammates to "expect more" out of the seniors in the absence of 1 starter and 3 key reserves.

And by the way, I would imagine that no one expects more out of the players than the players themselves. CW, Olivia and Evina all know that if they want to win a NC, they can't continue to play like they have for most of this year.

I don't know what the answer is, but if all 3 seniors continue to play and perform like they did when Paige was healthy (the start of this season), then not only will we likely lose several more games during the regular season, we will get a low seed in the NCAA's and possibly go out in an early round.

Just my $.02... Not sure how MUCH more anyone can expect out of ONO, but if she can battle fiercely against Boston and the front-court of SC, and even be moderately productive offensively, there is NO reason she can't duplicate that or be better against lesser teams.

If CW can play like an AA during the tourney last season, there is no reason she can't do it again.

Not sure how much more anyone can expect out of Evina. She's the soul of the team and now she's being asked to be the starting PG.

And no one has mentioned Edwards yet, but one of the horde asked "What the heck did the Canadian National Team do to Aaliyah over the summer". That is not an unfair question, even if tongue in cheek. Not only has she shown no sophomore leap, she's actually regressed from last season.

If the team is content to percolate in the top 10-20, lose a few more games, and go out by the end of round 3 in the NCAA's, then sure - keep doing what they have been doing. If they want more, they have go give more. This is a team filled with HS AA's, and hopefully Geno can find the right motivations to help get them to be the best versions of themselves they can be.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think this is a very fair assessment. CW, AE And Liv all need to step up. I would also add Evina to the list.

Your thoughts?

We don't need to elaborate. This graphic and their past play speaks for itself. Any UConn WBB fan that has been following the team this season is aware of the dilemma facing our team. We know who's who by now. All of the questions we had during the summer have been answered. Except for the reserves that are injured, we know what to expect from every player.

Local media columnist have also suggested that the three seniors need to step up if this team is to enjoy any amount of success the remainder of the year. Sustained consistency is what this team must produce if it is to go deep into the tournament.

I don't wish to be a "Douggie Downer", and predict doom and gloom for our team, but....................given their recent losses and 4th quarter collapses to teams that they could have and should have beaten, I'm not so sure they can run the table again in conference play as they did last year. I also don't see them advancing beyond the second weekend in the tournament.

This team was on a roller coaster the first half of the season. Not one player's performance was consistent. You never knew who was going to show up, or who would disappear. THAT needs to change when they resume play. Leaders lead by example, and they lead by being IN FRONT of the group (team). UConn can begin with strong consistent post play (on both ends of the court) and consistent outside shooting for starters. Play smart. Limit their turnovers and their number of personal fouls. Don't let foul trouble send them to the bench, especially in the first half. Play with a sense of urgency. Have fun and challenge each other to see who can make the most plays during each game.

I really wish they could have played DePaul Friday. The Blue Demons are averaging 91 ppg. They have a 6'1" version of Aliyah Boston. Freshman Aneesah Morrow is leading the nation in rebounding, and leading the team in scoring at 18ppg. She's posted 9 double doubles so far this year. I wanted to see if they could contain her or not. She's had BIG games against Notre Dame, Arizona and Texas, all ranked teams. She's not a magician. For a record seventh consecutive week since the season tipped off, Morrow has been selected BIG EAST Freshman of the Week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think this is a very fair assessment. CW, AE And Liv all need to step up. I would also add Evina to the list.

Your thoughts?

Chrysten has had some monster games, but she needs a feeder before the defense gets set. Nika could get the ball up court in a hurry and provide that, if CW is moving without the ball.
It seemed
that everyone was waiting for Paige, and to that extent, they still seem to be waiting. Caroline looks ready to take chances, even driving the length of the court. And sometimes Dorka has taken the scoring intiative. They all have to move and cut to the basket, and not dribble out front, looking for a shot. And it begins in practice, this taking responsibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, I think this bloke needs to stick to critiquing Australian rules football! He is just trying to clout chase for followers using our beloved WCBB team.

Reaction Score
If CW can play like an AA during the tourney last season, there is no reason she can't do it again.
But Paige was also playing in the tournament. That presents a very different scenario than the one they are facing now. To be clear, I hope she can increase her production as some others are doing. If that happens, and continues when the others get back, they'll be really fun to watch.

Reaction Score
They are about to go heavy into BE competition. Maybe some have over estimated the quality of these teams. No one needs to step up to beat these teams. UCONN will run the table once again. If Paige isn’t back at 100% and AZZI, Nika and Aubrey aren’t contributing, the Sweet Sixteen will probably be as far as they go.

Reaction Score
If we are talking about players stepping up, then one of the best ways to do this is sit them down and have a couple of freshman replace them that are left, take the consequences. If this does not motivate the players to really get engaged, then it is useless.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And yet amazingly, Williams stepped up BIG time in the tournament last year.
Eric

That's why I hedged
It certainly could happen
It's just so hard to predict when and if.
For the great players its never or once...DT's horrible evening
Maya's first half against Stanford
Stewie always came to life when it mattered...maybe 1st half agains Dayton.

We're at the stage, win or lose...it's do something ...or get off the pot

Reaction Score
And no one has mentioned Edwards yet, but one of the horde asked "What the heck did the Canadian National Team do to Aaliyah over the summer". That is not an unfair question, even if tongue in cheek. Not only has she shown no sophomore leap, she's actually regressed from last season.
Pure speculation but looking at how poorly Canada played relative to their ranking makes me think that maybe there were issues within the team. How much did they actually practice?

I'm also thinking that she may feel theatened. Johasz competing for the 4/5 and Fudd/Ducharme at the 3. She is barely a sophomore. Her physical play from day 1 made me forget that. Maybe she was given more responsibility on the court as a second year player and she's just working to adapt. Or maybe she's been talking to ONO and Williams instead of Geno. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO the team Chemistry is better with Paige ( of course!)
so when Paige returns everyone will seem to "step up".
When the "floor" is spread..( by three pointers being made).. Christyn will "be improved". Evina is working from a different position... she will
"step up" when she gets back to her original ( Geno determined) slot.
ONO has been OK in my book, she does the blocks, the rebounds,
the passing, the screens, and some scoring. I don't ask her for more.
I have faith in A. Edwards, Oh Canada! I want Nika to be back for
all the NIKA stuff she does....
and I believe that Azzi and Caroline will "rain down the threes"...
SO.... when Paige is back to full (?) functioning ....that is when I
believe that the entire Team Chemistry will be "back" and
everyone will be doing their "best" on any given game day.
" GENO, please find the magic 'mix' "

Reaction Score
I think it all comes down to 3 pointers. who can make them for us? Maybe CD, but not really anyone else. So the D packs it in and CW cannot drive. Her defender plays off her a little, goes behind screens and does not fear her getting open for a 3, if she get open and takes a 3, bad percentage for us. Evina seemed better shooting 3's last year. Dorka, not so far. Liv, not really, even when she takes a long 2 it is not a high percentage shot. Edwards the 3? No. maybe if we get Paige, Azzi and Muhl back, but if they are back, CW is likely not on the floor a ton. I can see a team of Paige (relieved by Muhl) , Azzi (relieved by CW) , CD and Evina splitting time at the 3, Liv or Dorka at the 5, Dorka or Edwards at the 4, maybe even Amari for 5 or 8 minutes. Hit the 3's open the floor up. Will depend on Azzi defense, will a healed foot let her move better. But I see a lot of work for Geno still to do this year. and a lot depending on how fast injuries heal. The current crew does not have the depth. Remember when we had too much depth? AG getting back would be a bonus. Luckily I am an old Brooklyn Dodger fan. Wait Until Next Year.

Reaction Score
And yet amazingly, Williams stepped up BIG time in the tournament last year. I don't think it was naive or folly for fans to expect CW to continue her great play from the end of last season. That's just one example.

I think most on this board would agree with you that we were expecting CW's breakout in the tournament to continue into this year. But for whatever reason it just has not happened. She has disappeared in a lot of games. Whatever the issue is I sure hope it gets fixed soon. We need her now more than ever.

Reaction Score

The team is missing Paige, Aubrey, Nika and Azzi. With Paige being out for an extended period of time, and possibly the rest of the season (no one knows how long it will take her to heal 100% and then be back at 100%), it's inevitable that other players "need to step up".

Last year and the beginning of this year, the team had the luxury of relying on Paige to bail them out. She did it single-handedly vs. SC last season when no one wanted the ball at the end of the game, so she took over and created for herself.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the coaches, fans, and other teammates to "expect more" out of the seniors in the absence of 1 starter and 3 key reserves.

And by the way, I would imagine that no one expects more out of the players than the players themselves. CW, Olivia and Evina all know that if they want to win a NC, they can't continue to play like they have for most of this year.

I don't know what the answer is, but if all 3 seniors continue to play and perform like they did when Paige was healthy (the start of this season), then not only will we likely lose several more games during the regular season, we will get a low seed in the NCAA's and possibly go out in an early round.

Just my $.02... Not sure how MUCH more anyone can expect out of ONO, but if she can battle fiercely against Boston and the front-court of SC, and even be moderately productive offensively, there is NO reason she can't duplicate that or be better against lesser teams.

Not sure how much more anyone can expect out of Evina. She's the soul of the team and now she's being asked to be the starting PG.

If the team is content to percolate in the top 10-20, lose a few more games, and go out by the end of round 3 in the NCAA's, then sure - keep doing what they have been doing. If they want more, they have go give more. This is a team filled with HS AA's, and hopefully Geno can find the right motivations to help get them to be the best versions of themselves they can be.

The most honest assessment I have EVER read on the BY.

Reaction Score

You make some good points here and I focused on your last sentence. I would say that many more HSAAs have decent careers in college than great ones for the obvious reason. Because HS isn't college. I don't believe motivation is the problem. There's a big difference between being motivated to raise the level of your game and having the ability to. I think we've seen the best versions of these 3 seniors in a game here and there during their UConn careers but only the very best can maintain that consistently. And even the great ones have a bad game here and there. I think these 3 are what they are and there's just not another level they can get to other than a flash here and there. I don't see that changing over the remainder of this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If we are talking about players stepping up, then one of the best ways to do this is sit them down and have a couple of freshman replace them that are left, take the consequences. If this does not motivate the players to really get engaged, then it is useless.
The bench is an excellent teacher and motivator ~ John Wooden :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom