Players return late July except... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Players return late July except...

Reaction Score
They are starting to talk about fall college football moving to the spring and starting men's college basketball after Jan 1. These ideas appear to be more realistic with the pandemic raging across parts of America. The safety of the players should be the first priority. I know we all want to see the 5 freshmen and Evina but we might have to wait.

Reaction Score
Requirements for foreign students returning to U.S. from countries currently banned include having student first travel to a non-banned country, under going a two week quarantine, then flying to U.S. and undergoing a second 14 day quarantine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They are starting to talk about fall college football moving to the spring and starting men's college basketball after Jan 1. These ideas appear to be more realistic with the pandemic raging across parts of America. The safety of the players should be the first priority. I know we all want to see the 5 freshmen and Evina but we might have to wait.

Maybe some reduced conference only games with the Eastern teams of the Big East playing each other and the Mid US Big East teams playing each other ???

Reaction Score
Maybe some reduced conference only games with the Eastern teams of the Big East playing each other and the Mid US Big East teams playing each other ???
We will get some indications of what is going to happen with the professional sports teams attempting to start their seasons. Players are reporting for (Spring training) in the next couple of days with the first practices starting on Saturday. If players when they report have COVID 19 what will they do? Quarantine them for 14 days. Major league baseball is allowing a 60 player roster of Major and minor league players for supporting the possibility of some players getting the virus. What would UCONN women's team do? We have ten women players? Doesn't seem feasible to me. Baseball maybe. They are going to give it a shot.

Reaction Score
To repeat something I posted in another thread yesterday, the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly advocates for schools to open and take precautions (3 feet of social distancing minimum, etc.) to minimize risks. They state there is virtually no risk of serious outcomes, including death, for people under 25 and more risk for suicide ideation and other major problems if kids continue to be isolated at home.

So, let's pray for the politicians making the decisions to listen to these real "medical experts" and not the pundits on TV or those on the internet looking for viewers or clicks.

With respect to the three countries these young ladies would be coming from, consider the following: -Poland is 38th in population (37.8 million) and 39th (34,775) in cases (92 per 100,000) with 1,477 deaths;
-Canada is 39th in population (37.7 million), 19th (104,271) in cases (277 per 100,000) with 8,615 deaths;
-Croatia is 130th in population (4.1 million) and 98th (2,831) in cases (69 per 100,000) with 108 deaths.

The problem is that those kids, while safe themselves if they catch the virus, will be bringing it home to their parents and families.
And as far as the stats, it must be understood that each country makes it's own policy as to who gets tested and what goes on death certificates. There are a number of impoverished nations that have no resources to count the dead, never mind the sick.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Alvarez is from Florida; Harvey is from Tennessee; and Leverett is from Georgia. The others:

Czech Republic
Croatia
Italy
Greece
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Belgium
Czech Republic
Puerto Rico (can fly to U.S.)
Portugal
Spain

That's 11, excluding Puerto Rico. So they can play 4 on 5 with no bench. ;)
My daughter has a close friend from PR going to school in CA and she isn't allowed back quite yet. Not sure if its a full restriction or partial.

Reaction Score
To repeat something I posted in another thread yesterday, the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly advocates for schools to open and take precautions (3 feet of social distancing minimum, etc.) to minimize risks. They state there is virtually no risk of serious outcomes, including death, for people under 25 and more risk for suicide ideation and other major problems if kids continue to be isolated at home.

So, let's pray for the politicians making the decisions to listen to these real "medical experts" and not the pundits on TV or those on the internet looking for viewers or clicks.

With respect to the three countries these young ladies would be coming from, consider the following: -Poland is 38th in population (37.8 million) and 39th (34,775) in cases (92 per 100,000) with 1,477 deaths;
-Canada is 39th in population (37.7 million), 19th (104,271) in cases (277 per 100,000) with 8,615 deaths;
-Croatia is 130th in population (4.1 million) and 98th (2,831) in cases (69 per 100,000) with 108 deaths.
Are all teachers, administrators and staff 25 or under? Do the school kids live alone, or do they live with others to whom they might transmit the novel coronavirus?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If flu season is like normal, the toughest months could be December, January, and February. My layperson's view on the virus is that the states that are not having the current surges will see a period of 3-5 months starting now that will be better than what follows it. I'm going to try a little travel and some medical appointments between now and October, as long as things stay calm in my area (suburban D.C.). I think it's entirely possible that we will see a split basketball season--November and perhaps December, followed by a shutdown in January that could last 2+ months.

Reaction Score
"No risk of serious outcomes" for those under 25? Have to question this statement. My daughter is a pediatric nurse and just had two teenagers die and a 4 week old baby near death but fortunately make it through. There are many medical issues that anyone can have that coupled with Corona Virus are often fatal. Let's not confuse rare with "no risk."

That was a quote from the American Academy of Pediatrics statement
but there's some interesting data on the CDC website you might like to look at:

According to the CDC, as of June 27 there were only 29 Covid deaths in the whole country for people under age 15 and 142 deaths in the 15-24 age group
, so your daughter must work in a hotspot.

If you compare Covid deaths to pneumonia and seasonal flu, you'll see the following:

For those under 15, there have been 29 Covid deaths, 176 pneumonia deaths and 100 seasonal flu deaths.
For those 15-24, there have been 142 Covid deaths, 247 pneumonia deaths and 51 seasonal flu deaths.

The same CDC data shows:
99.85% of all Covid deaths were from those 25 and older.

0.15% of Covid deaths (total of 171) were from those under 25 years of age.

The breakdown was 9 deaths under 1 year, 6 in the 1-4 year age group, 14 in the 5-14 year age group and 142 in the 15-24 year age group.

Reaction Score
How in the world can this season happen? There are over 50,000 new infections every day. Arizona is registering thousands, as is Florida, and California and South Carolina and Texas.

How in the world can the Southeastern Conference let kids back to campus, let alone have athletes practice in close contact? How can the Pac-12 conference play a season when the states in which the universities are located are suffering the biggest explosion of infections in the world? How will we play basketball with 100,000 new infections a day in the country, which is where we're going in the next few weeks?

And how long will it be before those millions of new infections sift back into Connecticut? How long before our own new wave hits?

Reality is about to bite. Hard. Or as Coach Geno put it today:

"How do you know you’re even going to be able to fly all your players in, depending on where they live?,” he asked rhetorically. “School starts, how are certain teams going to come here and play if they come from a state that’s been severely impacted? I don’t know. I don’t know anything about anything.”

Reaction Score
If flu season is like normal, the toughest months could be December, January, and February. My layperson's view on the virus is that the states that are not having the current surges will see a period of 3-5 months starting now that will be better than what follows it. I'm going to try a little travel and some medical appointments between now and October, as long as things stay calm in my area (suburban D.C.). I think it's entirely possible that we will see a split basketball season--November and perhaps December, followed by a shutdown in January that could last 2+ months.
Hope you're wrong. Here in July in Arizona it's 110 every day and we're setting new COVID-19 records daily. Heat doesn't seem to slow it down (of course our bars, which were open until 2 days ago, are air conditioned).

Reaction Score
How in the world can this season happen? There are over 50,000 new infections every day. Arizona is registering thousands, as is Florida, and California and South Carolina and Texas.

How in the world can the Southeastern Conference let kids back to campus, let alone have athletes practice in close contact? How can the Pac-12 conference play a season when the states in which the universities are located are suffering the biggest explosion of infections in the world? How will we play basketball with 100,000 new infections a day in the country, which is where we're going in the next few weeks?

And how long will it be before those millions of new infections sift back into Connecticut? How long before our own new wave hits?

Reality is about to bite. Hard. Or as Coach Geno put it today:

"How do you know you’re even going to be able to fly all your players in, depending on where they live?,” he asked rhetorically. “School starts, how are certain teams going to come here and play if they come from a state that’s been severely impacted? I don’t know. I don’t know anything about anything.”

The NBA and WNBA summer "bubble" seasons will be a great trial experiment for other sports. Supposedly the bubbles will be safer than normal society at large, so if that doesn't work, then we ain't gonna have college football, college basketball, etc.

Meanwhile, apparently Oklahoma has joined the "chicken pox party" brigade of the NCAA football elite.

Clemson - 37 positive tests
LSU - 30 quarantined
OU - 14 positive
Alabama - >= 5, as of June 11
Ohio State - Has asked players and their parents to sign a 2-page COVID-19 waiver, currently won't reveal # positive tests. Hmmm...

Nobody else matters, so just have all the other schools take the year off from football and have a 5-team P5 season in a bubble somewhere. I'd say invite one ACC team and one PAC-12 team just to represent those conferences, but no ACC team has a chance to win anyway, and no PAC-12 team is dumb enough, or at least they won't be able to after CA puts the kibosh on sports for the year and the PAC-12 can't play.

Round robin twice (home & home with everybody), and the team with the worst record misses the playoffs. Are there any domed stadiums not used by the NFL? (Well, possibly ALL the domed stadiums will go unused by the NFL this year - we'll see.)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hope you're wrong. Here in July in Arizona it's 110 every day and we're setting new COVID-19 records daily. Heat doesn't seem to slow it down (of course our bars, which were open until 2 days ago, are air conditioned).
I hope I'm wrong too. What the heat and UV do is to kill the virus on surfaces. But the extreme heat forces people indoors, where they are breathing recirculated air and may be sitting too close. The latest science seems to suggest that airborne droplets are far more of a problem than the virus on surfaces. If people are responsible and wear masks, the weather should help in October or November, when it's pleasant to be outside in Arizona. Staying indoors helps if people are at home, wear masks, or are socially distanced.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The NBA and WNBA summer "bubble" seasons will be a great trial experiment for other sports. Supposedly the bubbles will be safer than normal society at large, so if that doesn't work, then we ain't gonna have college football, college basketball, etc.

Meanwhile, apparently Oklahoma has joined the "chicken pox party" brigade of the NCAA football elite.

Clemson - 37 positive tests
LSU - 30 quarantined
OU - 14 positive
Alabama - >= 5, as of June 11
Ohio State - Has asked players and their parents to sign a 2-page COVID-19 waiver, currently won't reveal # positive tests. Hmmm...

Parity? Nobody else matters....

In the pro ranks,
Football seems impossible.
Baseball may survive because they can bus in lots of taxi players (and baseball is so dull already)
NHL hubs in canada seems doable.

I think the NBA experiment will implode. Too many players will break the rules. Maybe, they are thinking that they can go expecting it will blow up quickly and get paid anyway

I think the WNBA can succeed. More motivation and discipline among the players, smaller amount of people and as Sue said, the players understand quarantine type conditions when they play international ball.

Too sad to think or comment about college.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the pro ranks,
Football seems impossible.
Baseball may survive because they can bus in lots of taxi players (and baseball is so dull already)
NHL hubs in canada seems doable.

I think the NBA experiment will implode. Too many players will break the rules. Maybe, they are thinking that they can go expecting it will blow up quickly and get paid anyway

I think the WNBA can succeed. More motivation and discipline among the players, smaller amount of people and as Sue said, the players understand quarantine type conditions when they play international ball.

Too sad to think or comment about college.
I like the props you give to baseball. It has a chance because it is so dull already. :D

Reaction Score
Here’s a thought. If you were Anna’s parents, would you want to send your daughter to the country that has failed to control the virus, especially to play a sport rated among the most susceptible to acquiring the virus.

Reaction Score
Here’s a thought. If you were Anna’s parents, would you want to send your daughter to the country that has failed to control the virus, especially to play a sport rated among the most susceptible to acquiring the virus.
I just read through this thread and I thought the same thing. No way Anna's parents let her come back. I think all this positioning will be a moot point soon.
I have two kids in college. The possibilities I'm hearing from their schools make no sense. I think the whole thing will be shut down soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom