Players Cut by WNBA Teams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Players Cut by WNBA Teams

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That’s weird and it also has lavender as temporily suspended, do you think it’s because both her and Vadeeva are still over seas? But I don’t remember them doing that when lavender was over seas last season

Yes, Lavender's suspension is because she is overseas. The Turkish finals are going until at least the 21st. So right there you have Vandersloot, Lavender, McBride, Kia Vaughn, and Kelsey Plum that will miss time due to overseas commitments.

Reaction Score
Yes, Lavender's suspension is because she is overseas. The Turkish finals are going until at least the 21st. So right there you have Vandersloot, Lavender, McBride, Kia Vaughn, and Kelsey Plum that will miss time due to overseas commitments.

Yea I just noticed that, so I figured this was the reason, because they are still overseas, but the WNBA page still has vadeeva as waived

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
My understanding that the Sparks it is a Salary cap thing. I am guessing a few weeks down the road they can add a player on a "pro rated" contract basis, but it is only a guess.

Reaction Score
Ugh this cap and only 12 person roster is killing sooo many opportunities for great players. If we had 14 spots per team and at least two more teams it would help sooo much.

Allen and Russell cut from Liberty. I did not expect that. Russell more than Allen. Also, really wanted Karlie or Shakayla to make the spark's roster.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Karlie Samuelson waived by LA. Allen, Gray, and Russell waived by the Liberty.

Russell, 6'6", top HS pick, five years at Tenn, can't make a roster? This is a tough league. Maybe another team will pick her up.

Reaction Score

Russell, 6'6", top HS pick, five years at Tenn, can't make a roster? This is a tough league. Maybe another team will pick her up.

I’m really not surprised Russell didn’t make the cut. She may have been a #1 player out of high school, you still have to have a coach that can develop your game. She did not

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow. That is a surprise. Taya could be an impact type player given the right team and coach. Decent size, Pretty strong on the low block area, and excellent passer.

I thought had the tools to be another Natalie Achonwa after a strong finish to her sophomore year, but she declined as her time went on. As another poster mentioned, she had a poor year on a team that made it to the WNIT. I never saw her as a strong passer either. She'd sometimes try to make nifty passes but usually they'd end up as turnovers. She had a negative A/TO ratio and averaged about 1 assist per game this year. I doubt we'll ever see her in the league to be honest.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow! Morgan William, the kid who sank the shot and UConn a year ago, gut cut by Las Vegas!!

I won't gloat....

5-2 point guard without a great jump shot. Seems like a great kid and her heroics will not soon be forgotten, but no surprise there.

Reaction Score
I'm not shocked Morgan was cut. I am a little surprised Mercedes Russell was cut but she may latch on to another team at some point in the future.

17 Alums in the WNBA is impressive.

Reaction Score
5-2 point guard without a great jump shot. Seems like a great kid and her heroics will not soon be forgotten, but no surprise there.
Same as Brooke McCarty was cut by LA Spark too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

It is a tough league, indeed!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ugh this cap and only 12 person roster is killing sooo many opportunities for great players. If we had 14 spots per team and at least two more teams it would help sooo much.

Allen and Russell cut from Liberty. I did not expect that. Russell more than Allen. Also, really wanted Karlie or Shakayla to make the spark's roster.

The Sparks and Lynx are the two hardest rosters to make.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Can't say Russell was not given an honest look. Led the preseason in floor minutes by far with 26 mpg. Imho, stats uninspiring.Really feel for Lindsey Allen :mad:.
I really liked and appreciated her last year an you could see her play improving as the season went on. She also seems to me to have had an excellent stat line in preseason. Very controlled player and imho perhaps the best pure PG on the team but I guess just too many guards on the roster to compete with (+ Nurse lighting it up) Hope she pulls off what happened last year and comes in mid season after being waived and really helps a team.

Reaction Score
Really feel for Lindsay Allen :mad:.
I really liked and appreciated her last year an you could see her play improving as the season went on. She also seems to me to have had an excellent stat line in preseason. Very controlled player and imho perhaps the best pure PG on the team

The Aces cut Colson, so they could use another PG. Speculation is Laimbeer will pick up Allen. He likes acquiring players he’s worked with before: Bone, Swords, Schimmel.

Reaction Score
I think the 17 WNBA players marks the highest ever for UConn. Next:

Maryland- 8
Duke- 8
Tennessee- 6
South Carolina- 5
Notre Dame- 4
North Carolina- 4
LSU- 4
Stanford- 3
Baylor- 3
Texas- 1

So far and away, the cream of the crop come from Connecticut. The next best producers of WNBA talent are Maryland and Duke. I always suspected that Maryland had great natural talent, but failed to develop that talent into great teams.

If I've overlooked any prominent schools, please assist.

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm a little surprised Maryland and Duke would be next in line for most players in the WNBA. Both have recruited extremely well over the years but haven't really capitalized on it. Duke seems to be cursed with injuries to at least of of their top players each year for some reason.

Reaction Score

Maryland- 8
Duke- 8
Tennessee- 6
South Carolina- 5
Notre Dame- 4
North Carolina- 4
LSU- 4
Stanford- 3
Baylor- 3
Texas- 1

So far and away, the cream of the crop come from Connecticut. The next best producers of WNBA talent are Maryland and Duke. I always suspected that Maryland had great natural talent, but failed to develop that talent into great teams.

Add Oregon State with 2 (Sydney Weise, Marie Gulich)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yea I just noticed that, so I figured this was the reason, because they are still overseas, but the WNBA page still has vadeeva as waived

Appears to have been simple incompetence on the WNBA's part. It has now been corrected to show Vadeeva as temporarily suspended.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

Maryland- 8
Duke- 8
Tennessee- 6
South Carolina- 5
Notre Dame- 4
North Carolina- 4
LSU- 4
Stanford- 3
Baylor- 3
Texas- 1

Rutgers with 7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom