Players Cut by WNBA Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Players Cut by WNBA Teams

Reaction Score
I was very sad when Natalie Butler was cut from Dallas. I was really rooting for her. I guess with Elizabeth Cambage back, Dallas couldn't use Natalie and Azura both.

They also kept second year player Breanna Lewis and Plaisance.

Reaction Score
Ooops. Couple hours later and the axe fell on Kat Westbeld and Brooke McCarty in Los Angeles. Kat should hop a plane back to South Bend and be able to join graduation ceremonies this weekend. If she wants to try to pursue a pro career and look for an overseas opportunity, this extended tryout could help.

No news is good news for Karlie Samuelson and the Sparks.

Well karlie is at the sparks media day today, I don’t know if that means anything, considering cuts have to be made by Thursday what would be the point of her at media day if she didn’t make the team right?

Reaction Score
Well karlie is at the sparks media day today, I don’t know if that means anything, considering cuts have to be made by Thursday what would be the point of her at media day if she didn’t make the team right?

Doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Some teams hold media day early and in that case all the camp players are involved.

I have the Sparks at 17, which means they have at least 5 cuts left, depending on their cap situation.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Sparks will not have Lav back in time for first game if her team goes to the third game in Turkish finals. Reisengerova (spelling?) is not coming over and Dabovic has not been playing, could be injured. Vadeeva still needs a visa.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
They also kept second year player Breanna Lewis and Plaisance.

I'm still a little confused by Plaisance being on the roster. She tore her ACL in October. I really like her game, but I can't imagine she'll be contributing an awful lot7-8 months out from reconstructive surgery.

Lewis looks like she had a good season overseas.

Reaction Score
Sparks will not have Lav back in time for first game if her team goes to the third game in Turkish finals. Reisengerova (spelling?) is not coming over and Dabovic has not been playing, could be injured. Vadeeva still needs a visa.

Yea, I saw from one of the reporters that Julie reisen wasn’t playing over here, and I was wondering about dabovic because I’ve heard nothing lately about her, I forgot all about lavender lol, from what it looks like sparks have at best 2 available slots right?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Indiana waived Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga (her sister-in-law is still active), Alexis Peterson, and Bashaara Graves today.
Pohlen-Mavunga has played several years, but Peterson played only 1 year. Her 'Cuse teammate Sykes caught on much better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Speaking of players being "cut" each year, I did some research and looked at the WNBA draft class of 2013. This class included notables Brittany Griner, Elena Delle Donne and Skylar Diggins. That was 5 seasons ago. Of the 36 players that were drafted, only 13 are still active.
1st round = 9 still active
2nd rd = 3
3rd rd = 1

With the influx of new talent coming into the league each year, rosters are turning over faster than ever.
As of today 5/15/18 - 2 first round players from last year's draft are no longer active. Evelyn Akhator (3rd over all by Dallas) and Tori Jankoska (9th over all by Chicago).
The WNBA salary structure seems to be rather seniority based. The teams will cut a borderline $75-$80K player who has been around 4-5 years in favor of a $45K rookie.

Reaction Score
They have a guard shortage to start the season. Jefferson is still rehabbing, and Plum & McBride are still playing overseas.

Welp...that explains it

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Makes KML look like a great selection at #3. BTW, KML just signed a contract extension in Seattle.

Comparatively, yes, but KML has been pretty underwhelming for a #3 pick. Both 2015 and 2017 had weak draft classes. I think KML needs to make big strides or she’ll have a hard time keeping her roster spot next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Comparatively, yes, but KML has been pretty underwhelming for a #3 pick. Both 2015 and 2017 had weak draft classes. I think KML needs to make big strides or she’ll have a hard time keeping her roster spot next year.
I think Kaleena has done at least as well as AZB, who went #2. I agree that it was a weak year. I hope--and think--that Kaleena can step up her game with the new coach. She just signed a new contract.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Faris, Pohlen-Mavunga, Hightower, Westbeld, Graves. Lots of additions to the not-a-good-player list.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm still a little confused by Plaisance being on the roster. She tore her ACL in October. I really like her game, but I can't imagine she'll be contributing an awful lot7-8 months out from reconstructive surgery.

Lewis looks like she had a good season overseas.

It's on the low end but people can come back from ACLs as soon as 6 months nowadays.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Akhator does look like a wasted pick, but if they wanted a post player, the pickings were slim. Brionna Jones & Nia Coffey could improve, but both had unremarkable rookie seasons. The big miss of the draft was Brittney Sykes, who fell to 7th. Buy the Wings drafted ROY Grey at #4, so it's not like they completely flubbed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Maybe if they’re Adrian Peterson.

The pro wrestler Seth Rollins tore his ACL, MCL, and medial meniscus on 11/4/2015 and returned to the ring on 5/22/16. A bit different since it's not a sport and he doesn't have to worry about his on-court performance suffering as he gets back to 100%. But still, it happens.

Whether it's good idea to come back that quickly is another question entirely - Are NFL Athletes Playing a Dangerous Game with Too-Fast ACL Returns?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom