Players Cut by WNBA Teams | The Boneyard

Players Cut by WNBA Teams

Reaction Score
I see that Taya Reimer was cut recently. That was a surprise.

Don't see any updates on roster cuts, though the season is about to start. Lots of players to be waived.

Feel free to add names as they come up.

Reaction Score
Taya Reiner is an above average player. But she is not going to take a place on a WBNA roster where players have made a career of playing against players above their weight.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Look at all those players waived. Would make a pretty descent team if you took the best 12 of them. May not win a championship but could be competitive. There needs to be more teams in the W.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
2 days before the May 17 roster deadline. Very tough and painful decisions being made. Most of the players being cut now have value at this level now, or the potential to be good in the near future.

The music is about to stop and there's only 144 chairs for around 165 players. :oops:

Reaction Score
2 days before the May 17 roster deadline. Very tough and painful decisions being made. Most of the players being cut now have value at this level now, or the potential to be good in the near future.

The music is about to stop and there's only 144 chairs for around 165 players. :oops:

I expected more cuts by now. But the WNBA lists none since the 13th. Yes, if they cut you on the last day, you have no way of latching on, unless some time later, an injury opens up a spot. In the NFL, it is often the case that a team that knows it probably can't keep a talented player will cut him earlier in order to give him a chance to latch on with another team.

This WNBA situation looks pretty brutal.

Reaction Score
As long as players are still away, or the teams are under the max, there really is no reason to cut anyone until deadline day. At a minimum it gives teams more bodies to practice with and still give some rest to those in need.

Reaction Score
Alex Prince and Emma Cannon cut from Phoenix. So Phoenix and Dallas both have rosters down to 12.

Reaction Score
I expected more cuts by now. But the WNBA lists none since the 13th.

They haven’t been updating the list.
Here are some more cuts since the 13th:
Evelyn Akhator - Dallas
Ruth Hamblin - Dallas
AJ Alix - DC
Asia Taylor - DC
Camille Zimmerman - MIN
Emma Cannon - PHX
Alexis Prince - PHX

Bunch more to come!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Evelyn Akhator - Dallas
Ruth Hamblin - Dallas
AJ Alix - DC
Asia Taylor - DC
Camille Zimmerman - MIN
Emma Cannon - PHX
Alexis Prince - PHX

Bunch more to come!

Thanks, Shades. Whoa, Hamblin wasn't playing badly in Dallas...tough, tough competition.
ND's only rookie, Kat Westbeld, will undoubtedly be a cut of the LA Sparks but she's still hanging tough getting good experience under Coach Alger. Could help her get a slot overseas, crossing fingers. Everyone needs a good, techinically sound, smart glue player!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Speaking of players being "cut" each year, I did some research and looked at the WNBA draft class of 2013. This class included notables Brittany Griner, Elena Delle Donne and Skylar Diggins. That was 5 seasons ago. Of the 36 players that were drafted, only 13 are still active.
1st round = 9 still active
2nd rd = 3
3rd rd = 1

With the influx of new talent coming into the league each year, rosters are turning over faster than ever.
As of today 5/15/18 - 2 first round players from last year's draft are no longer active. Evelyn Akhator (3rd over all by Dallas) and Tori Jankoska (9th over all by Chicago).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Speaking of players being "cut" each year, I did some research and looked at the WNBA draft class of 2013. This class included notables Brittany Griner, Elena Delle Donne and Skylar Diggins. That was 5 seasons ago. Of the 36 players that were drafted, only 13 are still active.
1st round = 9 still active
2nd rd = 3
3rd rd = 1

With the influx of new talent coming into the league each year, rosters are turning over faster than ever.
As of today 5/15/18 - 2 first round players from last year's draft are no longer active. Evelyn Akhator (3rd over all by Dallas) and Tori Jankoska (9th over all by Chicago).

Tori .... now known as Victoria ... was rockin' it in Poland this winter:

Basket 90 Gdynia pewnie pokonał Widzew Łódź. Victoria Jankoska trafiła siedem razy za 3 pkt

Reaction Score
Evelyn Akhator - Dallas
Ruth Hamblin - Dallas
AJ Alix - DC
Asia Taylor - DC
Camille Zimmerman - MIN
Emma Cannon - PHX
Alexis Prince - PHX

Bunch more to come!

Not listed on the "transactions" page of the WNBA. Not really keeping us up to date, are they?!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was very sad when Natalie Butler was cut from Dallas. I was really rooting for her. I guess with Elizabeth Cambage back, Dallas couldn't use Natalie and Azura both.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Indiana waived Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga (her sister-in-law is still active), Alexis Peterson, and Bashaara Graves today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not listed on the "transactions" page of the WNBA. Not really keeping us up to date, are they?!

What a waste of a pick with Akhator at 3. Had many better options available and now she’s out of the league after 1 year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am still shocked at the number people who "are surprised by the cuts", I mean does everyone realize there are only 12 teams in the WNBA? That's a paltry 144 slots available in the league. You must be an ELITE PLAYER to consistently make the teams. Rookies and journeymen will have hard times trying to make any of the teams with the new blood coming into the league.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks, Shades. Whoa, Hamblin wasn't playing badly in Dallas...tough, tough competition.
ND's only rookie, Kat Westbeld, will undoubtedly be a cut of the LA Sparks but she's still hanging tough getting good experience under Coach Alger. Could help her get a slot overseas, crossing fingers. Everyone needs a good, techinically sound, smart glue player!

Ooops. Couple hours later and the axe fell on Kat Westbeld and Brooke McCarty in Los Angeles. Kat should hop a plane back to South Bend and be able to join graduation ceremonies this weekend. If she wants to try to pursue a pro career and look for an overseas opportunity, this extended tryout could help.

No news is good news for Karlie Samuelson and the Sparks.

Reaction Score
They updated the Transactions page. Lots of new names on there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom