Player comparison: Breanna vs Tina | The Boneyard

Player comparison: Breanna vs Tina

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's interesting that those two would be compared. Yes, both are very tall, dominate their age group, are headed to Storrs, and want to be great, but they have big differences.

Tina is a world-class athlete, a real stud. Maybe only Big Syl is in her class. She is fast and strong.

Bree is lanky, quick, and skilled. She may be taller and has a longer reach. Her handle is the best I have seen for a female her height. She could really play PG.

Tina is explosive; Bree is crafty. Tina is more of a traditional center, just a very good and athletic one. Bree is a mold-breaker.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's interesting that those two would be compared. Yes, both are very tall, dominate their age group, are headed to Storrs, and want to be great, but they have big differences.

Tina is a world-class athlete, a real stud. Maybe only Big Syl is in her class. She is fast and strong.

Bree is lanky, quick, and skilled. She may be taller and has a longer reach. Her handle is the best I have seen for a female her height. She could really play PG.

Tina is explosive; Bree is crafty. Tina is more of a traditional center, just a very good and athletic one. Bree is a mold-breaker.

I really see Breanna as an updated version of Rebecca for the 21st century, playing both at the 3 and 4 depending on the demands of the moment and offense or defense.

Reaction Score
The player I compare Breanna Stewart to is Rebecca Lobo, or more accurately a next generation Rebecca Lobo. Their size, strengths, and weaknesses are pretty similar. And their style of play as you would expect given those similarities isn't that far apart.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The player I compare Breanna Stewart to is Rebecca Lobo, or more accurately a next generation Rebecca Lobo. Their size, strengths, and weaknesses are pretty similar. And their style of play as you would expect given those similarities isn't that far apart.
LOL, Great minds and great timing, Scotter. Almost identical posts.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I remember hearing about Breanna when she was in the 8th grade. The big names in NYC were Kia Vaughn, Tina Charles and Danielle Wilson. I was told that Breanna was the best post player they had ever seen. They were friends of mine who follow girls BB. When they discribed Breanna it wasnt as great as what Ive seen. IMO she is a combo of EDD and CP and her potential isnt even close.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There is only one player that comes to mind when I think of Stewart: Candace Parker.

They both are 6'4" (or 7")have great length. Terrific shot blocking ability. Can play many positions and is as versitile as any player in their respective world (College to be, Pros).

From Carol Ross, head coach of the University of Mississippi Ole Miss Rebels on Parker during her 1st year in college ball:

"She's the toughest matchup in the game. On many nights, she's the best guard on the floor, the best post on the floor, the best rebounder on the floor, the best passer on the floor, and, let's not forget, the best scorer on the floor."

Sound familiar? Now from ESPN on Stewart:

"Her length and vertical puts her into a position to play above the rim at both ends of the floor."

"Her jump hook in the middle is almost unstoppable"

And lastly

"There is a fluid and natural appearance to her play that allows her to be effective almost anywhere on the floor. She has a tremendous wingspan and hands that give her complete control of the ball. When she finishes in traffic, her reach becomes overtly apparent by her extension and finish at the rim. She can put it on the floor and has a decent jumper to create her looks from the perimeter. Inside, she can post with a target that keeps the ball away from virtually any defender. At this age, limited physical strength does come into play for her to a degree, but it's nothing that time and the weight room won't take care of. Her agility is impressive and she has the speed to get out with the guards."

In their own respective world of competition, they both dominate (when Parker is healthy) and if Stewart can have a college career (four healthy years please) like Parker had, UConn fans will be very happy. And Parker didn't play WITH a KML, the next ?? (Taurasi/Moore).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yep, I agree with the Parker comparison. I did not see Rebecca play very much, but that sounds apt as well. A couple of NPOYs. Yikes!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I remember seeing Tina play AAU ball when she was roughly Breanna's age. Tina was certainly impressive, but more because of her raw power and athleticism. I think she had started playing only a few years before that, maybe when she was in 9th or 10th grade, so she had little polish and ability to score away from the basket. The progress she made in a few years to become the best center in the world is absolutely mind boggling, and great respect must be given to her coaches, especially Geno and CD but most of all to Tina herself.

Breanna has been playing much longer I believe and has made very good use of that experience to develop an amazing skill set, so that is a big difference between the two players at Breanna's current age. The other big difference is in their bodies. Tina was, and is, a much more powerful physical specimen, although Breanna has great length and wiry strength. It is this difference in body type (as well as her skill set) that will make Breanna a 3-4 type player instead of a center like Tina.

It will be very interesting to see how Breanna fills out as she matures and hits the weights, and whether that makes her an even more effective inside player. If that happens, she will obviously become more like Tina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom