2021 Recruiting: - Pitt's Xavier Johnson Transferring | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Pitt's Xavier Johnson Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Thread from when we recruited him out of HS, seemed to be mostly a Kenya Hunter connection

Reaction Score
We really need an upgrade at PG next season, relying on Sool seems foolish.
I'd probably take him because he's a big guard and can rebound, but he's a turnover machine. Has more turnovers than Cole and Gaffney combined this year

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We really need an upgrade at PG next season, relying on Sool seems foolish.
Point guard? We’ll have one of the best PnR points in the country.

Reaction Score
Point guard? We’ll have one of the best PnR points in the country.

Let's dial that back. He's a good player and has been an importance piece of our team. He's also shooting under 40% in the paint and looked like a potential bust for a good bit of this season.

Reaction Score
We need another guy who can handle the ball next season, not sure if he’s the guy but there will be a need.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks we should go after the Pitt kid should have his account deleted right after he’s punched in the throat.
I think we’ll be involved. We need to rent a guard for a year or two, we recruited him fairly hard, he fits the Hurley mold.

Reaction Score
Have you see this thing we’re calling the “recruiting class?”

It contains such a player.
Yes, and unproven Freshman and Cole. I don’t know about you but I have little confidence in Gaff being able to run the show for much time, so, yeah I think another ball handler is quite necessary, especially with the way Hurley likes to play small.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Yes, and unproven Freshman and Cole. I don’t know about you but I have little confidence in Gaff being able to run the show for much time, so, yeah I think another ball handler is quite necessary, especially with the way Hurley likes to play small.
Gaffney shouldn’t be in the rotation of a good team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No way, hard pass.
Kid's a disaster. Basically uncoachable. His entering the portal was under duress as Capel would've suspended him if he stuck around.

Now, if Champagnie entered the portal, we'd have something to talk about...

Reaction Score
Anybody wanting Johnson to come here hasn’t really seen him play. We don’t need a dude like that.. inefficient combo guard who isn’t even a true PG and has a loose handle.. what’s the attraction tbh?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cole is our point guard and he's better than Johnson. Last thing we need is a turnover machine coming over from a terrible program.
Better? At anything besides shooting 3s? I'll take your word for it.
I'd probably take him because he's a big guard and can rebound, but he's a turnover machine. Has more turnovers than Cole and Gaffney combined this year
1 more turnover per game than Cole with 2 more assists in a tougher league. But I won't die on this hill if he isn't coachable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let's dial that back. He's a good player and has been an importance piece of our team. He's also shooting under 40% in the paint and looked like a potential bust for a good bit of this season.
I think most of us believe Cole can be a nice piece of the rotation as a senior. But the way people forget how poorly he's played in most games this year is surprising.

He was literally benched around 3 games ago.

Reaction Score
we currently have more PGs on the team next season than any other position. just gotta make it work with Cole, Diggins, and Gaff plus AJ in a pinch. a 4th big and a scorer on the wing are more pressing needs to address with the 2 open schollys

PG: Cole/Diggins/Gaff
SG/SF: AJ/Martin/Hawkins
PF/C: Sanogo/Akok/Samson
Bench: Adams/Springs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Need a guard that can create space with quickness off the bounce And knock down threes - Otherwise we’ll be offensively challenged again.

I know Ryan boatright isn’t walking thru that door, but a lesser version is what we need. Quick and will help spacing/unclogging + can make 3s.

Reaction Score
I think that Gaffney if he was more assertive could do it and be more like Cole was the other day. We’ve seen glimpses of that from him but he needs to have the confidence, pt, and the coach’s go ahead to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom