Pitino Pissed | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Pitino Pissed

Reaction Score
Wonder what table, in what restaurant, he was on while the assistants were making the final decisions on recruiting?

Reaction Score
He also called out his assistants so I wonder how Taliek feels
His assistants don't have enough lateral quickness? Or somehow their job is to overcome the physical limitations of the players Pitino selected to bring in?

Reaction Score
Pitino is a Top 10 coach of all-time. He's obviously trying to motivate his team as only a big run can save the season and get them into the Big Dance. Soft players deserve the criticism.

Reaction Score
Alleyne blew his slim chance to get a NBA tryout by leaving Hurley. Barely getting any PT at SJs.

Reaction Score
Cam is a deadly shooter and is much more creative offensively- but give Alleyne some credit, he did score a lot of big shots that helped UConn in their run last year. Defensively, Naheim is much better and quicker.
alleyne is not as good defensively as cam, sorry. quicker maybe, but Cam has bball iq, and his anticipation/positioning are much better

Reaction Score
His comments seem over the top and out of line, and I expect it will negatively impact his ability to recruit. St John’s boosters are going to have to dole out big money to attract good players now.

I felt like he was off to a decent start, even though the results were not what he wanted. They played UConn really tough that first matchup. But now I think he blew it. No one is going to want to play for him without a big paycheck. The loyalty and dedication of a hired mercenary isn’t the same as someone who believes in a program, the coach and the culture.

Reaction Score
7 or more transfers is usually not a good recipe for success.

Maybe moderation in the portal is the key to all of this. The transfer portal is vital to flipping a roster or elevating to the next tier, but a heavy dose of retention is vital to win big. Houston, UConn, Purdue, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Iowa State, Arizona, Illinois, North Carolina, Creighton, Duke and New Mexico are all succeeding because they retained stars and found the right pieces in the portal to elevate.

Reaction Score
Jim Jackson: “you can make these comments if you’re in the NBA because they’re professionals, but college is different.”

Is it?

Reaction Score
Biggest meltdown by an elite coach in college athletics since Woody Hayes slugged that Clemson player.
For me, that's always been the standard. Not sure this really approaches that...

Reaction Score
Coaches rip their players all the time. Criticizing their performance is one thing, but going after the kids themselves and their level of talent is bush league.
Whether it's bush league or not is one thing...does make you question if you want to play for the guy. Think about telling stockholders that the team you managed (and picked), sucks. Only, they can hear you saying it. Motivational or not, if you work for the woke F5 company that I do, the team stays and you're toast.

Reaction Score

-> “I’m going to commit whatever it takes,” Repole told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday night. “I don’t think there’s going to be any alumni from any other Big East school that’s going to give to their alma mater more than I can. If there is, I would like to meet him. I just want to make sure everybody knows that.”<-

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
On the drive into work this morning ESPN radio guys were talking about Pitino and brought up his introductory speech when he took the Iona job. He said, considering the high level schools and NBA teams that he coached in the past and his age, Iona wasn't going to be a place until something better came along.

I'm paraphrasing the comments but they basically said that Pitino needs to stop saying things that he'll need to walk back shortly afterwards.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Love this apology. He points out Dingle and Luis as players he recruited but doesn't mention Soriano Ledlum etc who he originally called out. I guess they are still under the bus with the assistants who recruited them

Reaction Score

-> “I’m going to commit whatever it takes,” Repole told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday night. “I don’t think there’s going to be any alumni from any other Big East school that’s going to give to their alma mater more than I can. If there is, I would like to meet him. I just want to make sure everybody knows that.”<-

In other words, Pitino is recruiting portal players by flashing $$$

I think I saw the term on a Marquette board, Portal Combat

Reaction Score
Admit it, you're all secretly glad slick Rick is back, he brings so much (more) entertainment to the BE, all this stuff to talk about, lol. He's been a goldmine this year.

Reaction Score
I just don't know about starting a project with a 71 year old coach who said said this season is “the most unenjoyable experience of [his] lifetime.” They already spent pretty big in the portal this year and even got that kid from Kansas to come over without a scholarship, and they're looking like they might not even be in the bubble discussion anymore. Even with NIL, you can't build a program overnight. Seems like Rick could be gone before St. John's even has a realistic window.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Rick Pitino still thinks he’s the main act

"The hottest ticket in men’s college basketball rolled into Washington on Wednesday night. The Rick Pitino Postgame Dramedy Tour, the must-see event of the 2023-24 season. Available for those with a media credential or anyone with access to stable WiFi, the show comes with a decent warm-up act; it always follows some form of Big East basketball. But anything related to St. John’s on the court pales in comparison to what happens after the horn, when its head coach takes the microphone for his one-man performance..."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Haven't done one of these in a while. Hardly had to change it. Rick Pitino as Evita Perone.

Don't Cry for me College Basketball.

It won't be easy, you'll think it's strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done
You won't believe me
All you will see is a coach you once knew
Although he's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

I had to let it happen, I had to change
Couldn't stay all my life at Iona
Looking out of the window, staying out on the court
So I chose the Red Storm