Pistons Sign Boatright, Will Be Assigned To DLeague | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pistons Sign Boatright, Will Be Assigned To DLeague

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He went undrafted after his senior year,
couldn't do worse his junior year and might even been 2nd round.
But the most important thing is age ,and future earning potential
When your peak years are so short ever year you lose is huge.
People don't stay young forever
This only matters if you are actually on the draft board. When you are projected to go undrafted as a junior and as a senior, it seems like unnecessary risk to end your basketball career on a "what if they DO draft me" type scenario.

Why not stay, build your nonexistent draft stock one more year, and most importantly get a degree so that if bball doesn't work out you have something of value from your time at college. I really can't see in any way how Boat staying one year hurt him. The whole "go early earn more" philosophy is really only relevant to desired prospects, not guys who no team really showed interest in, that's the attitude that has prematurely ended a lot of good college players careers with nothing earned from it in the end.

Reaction Score

Yeah but he had to get better at so many things to even get a look. He was a 5'10 2G after the NC and the only really appealing thing was his defense and heart. And the reality is the 2G's in the NBA would rip him apart just based on size alone, so he needed last year to prove he could handle a team from the PG position and without a Bazz or Kemba to help him. He made the right decisions so far the next one will be critical. Because he's so young and dynamic still is it best to become a star overseas and make the $$$$ out there with less hopes of getting back here until later? Or D League it and get the 10 day contracts maybe because your domestic?

I think, and it's just me, he should begin his European journey now. I just believe that's where the money will be for him and his family. It's not a bad thing.

Reaction Score
Boat was a considerably better player after his senior year, the tournament made up for it but his junior year during the regular season was a massive disappointment from a shooting and scoring standpoint. He goes undrafted in any year but he put himself in a much better position going forward by improving his jump shot and getting to play PG fulltime.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Wtf?
I think the plan was to sign him, then waive him and send him to the NBDL. Correct? If they waive him, do they have any rights to Boat? Not sure what the point of it is.

Reaction Score
Goodman should probably leave the NBA reporting to the actual NBA reporters at ESPN, the fact that he provided no context to why the Pistons did this shows how clueless he is. I already see Kevin Pelton clarifying the signing in his mentions.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
That was the plan, sign him and waive him so you have his rights to assign to your own DLeague team.

If another team wanted to sign Boat, would they be able to?

Reaction Score
That was the plan, sign him and waive him so you have his rights to assign to your own DLeague team.
Thanks, just gonna merge the 2 Boatright threads then.

Reaction Score
If another team wanted to sign Boat, would they be able to?

After reading this it appears so since no team has his draft rights.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/santacruz/dleague_faqs.html

How do D-Leaguers make the jump to the NBA?
A call-up occurs when a player is signed by an NBA team. An NBA team is allowed to sign any D-League player as long as they are eligible to play in the NBA under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). However, an NBA team cannot call-up a player whose draft rights are still held by another NBA team. A D-League player is usually signed to a 10-day contract, a short term contract which expires after 10 days. A player can only sign two 10-day contracts with the same team in one season. If the team wants to retain the player after the second 10-day contract expired, the team must sign the player for the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't understand why he doesn't sign a more lucrative deal overseas.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don't understand why he doesn't sign a more lucrative deal overseas.
the dleague is the best route to enter the nba again as a fringe player. you have many opportunies to play in front of nba front office guys stateside, as opposed to in serbia or spain.

Reaction Score
He's got a strong lifelong NBA dream...not so hard to understand. Plus, he's had a taste of it, played well and knows he can handle it.

Plus Tanesha said "I'm not moving to Turkey!!"

Reaction Score
Goodman should probably leave the NBA reporting to the actual NBA reporters at ESPN, the fact that he provided no context to why the Pistons did this shows how clueless he is. I already see Kevin Pelton clarifying the signing in his mentions.
I agree. Goodman is a tool.

Reaction Score
Bezzz said:
He's got a strong lifelong NBA dream...not so hard to understand. Plus, he's had a taste of it, played well and knows he can handle it.

Plus Tanesha said "I'm not moving to Turkey!!"

You can reach the nba playing overseas and you can make extremely good money over there. I am not just talking about Boatright.

Reaction Score
You can reach the nba playing overseas and you can make extremely good money over there. I am not just talking about Boatright.

Name 5 US players who played overseas then made the jump back to the NBA (excluding lockout overseas players)

Reaction Score
auror said:
Name 5 US players who played overseas then made the jump back to the NBA (excluding lockout overseas players)

Joey Dorsey, Udonis Haslem, Darrell Armstrong, Donald Sloan, Chris Copeland, CJ Watson, John Lucas III, Cartier Martin, Anthony Tolliver, Shawne Williams, Lance Thomas, Greg Stiemsma, Brian Roberts, Luke Babbit, Matt Bonner, Patrick Beverly, Sonny Weems, Jeff Adrien

Reaction Score
the dleague is the best route to enter the nba again as a fringe player. you have many opportunies to play in front of nba front office guys stateside, as opposed to in serbia or spain.
Plus, a Pistons' guard gets injured, plays terribly, or is waived for either or a combination of reasons and Grand Rapids is only a few hours from Detroit or either Wayne County or O'Hare airports. Geography matters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom