Pistons Sign Boatright, Will Be Assigned To DLeague | The Boneyard

Pistons Sign Boatright, Will Be Assigned To DLeague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
D-League players make next to nothing.

Boat will likely made a little something from the Pistons with a training camp deal which will augment his D-League salary - I'm guessing he'll make the A-rate which is $25,000 a year.

Reaction Score
Since an NBDL team would blow out all but a couple college teams, you have to wonder why people don't pay to watch. You're certainly watching a higher caliber of ball in the NBDL.

Reaction Score
Great that he can continue to showcase his talents. I will be very happy for him when he finally steps on the court in a regular season game.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Since an NBDL team would blow out all but a couple college teams, you have to wonder why people don't pay to watch. You're certainly watching a higher caliber of ball in the NBDL.
Those teams don't have fans like college programs do

Reaction Score
D-League players make next to nothing.

Boat will likely made a little something from the Pistons with a training camp deal which will augment his D-League salary - I'm guessing he'll make the A-rate which is $25,000 a year.
If the the terms that were reported were correct, he already got his $75k guarantee from the Nets by being on the roster past Aug 1. Not overseas money but b/w the 2 teams he should be able to make something decent in his first year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the the terms that were reported were correct, he already got his $75k guarantee from the Nets by being on the roster past Aug 1. Not overseas money but b/w the 2 teams he should be able to make something decent in his first year.

Yep - he keeps the $75,000 and then the Pistons, I think, had to give him something in order to retain his rights and assign him to the D-League.

I'm guessing he will get the $25,000 level salary from the D-League itself, plus housing and a teeny per diem from the Pistons.

It's not NBA or overseas money, but making $100,000+ right out of school with serious career growth potential is not the worst thing in the world.

Reaction Score
I watch the Pistons quite a bit to follow Drummond, and I really like this signing both for Boat and Detroit.

Boat will begin in the D-League, but going into the season, the only healthy Piston PGs are Reggie Jackson and Spencer Dinwiddie. Jackson is the team's unquestioned starter, but Dinwiddie has disappointed this preseason after showing some flashes last year. Dinwiddie was a second round pick last year, and was coming off an ACL tear. He played well at times, but in my opinion didn't cement in spot in the rotation.

Detroit also has Brandon Jennings (coming off an achilles injury, still unclear when he'll return) and 35 year old Steve Blake (who's missed most of the pre-season with a concussion issue).

Point being, Boatright may have a chance to see some NBA time early in the season with a Pistons injury or more Dinwiddie struggles. Stan Van Gundy is also an ideal landing spot for point guards, as his system is designed around the spread pick-and-roll, something Boat could excel in with his quickness, passing, and shooting ability.

Seeing Boatright running the pick and roll with Drummond would be awesome. There have been quite a few UConn players on the Pistons over the years.

Reaction Score
I like dinwiddie a lot because of his size for position and playmaking ability. If i'm the gm I move jennings for markieff ( Seems unreasonable because the suns already have knight and bledsoe, but that hasn't stopped them from collecting pgs before. They also have a burgeoning forward in TJ warren that deserves tick at markieffs position), slide dinwiddie into the backup pg role and have boatright as the third pg option. This also works well because jackson + dinwiddie are big guards, while boat is a bit different of a look.

Reaction Score
Those teams don't have fans like college programs do

Yeah, that's my point. Cheering for laundry rather than the skill of the players. Which is why not paying players is actually a market-based reality. Without the laundry, these kids don't even have places to train, nor top flight coaching.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's my point. Cheering for laundry rather than the skill of the players. Which is why not paying players is actually a market-based reality. Without the laundry, these kids don't even have places to train, nor top flight coaching.

There's a lot of talent in the D-League. But there's no D in the D-League. It's a little like watching AAU ball. That said, if I lived in Maine, I'd go to some Red Claw games.

It's never going to be as popular as minor league baseball but they need to follow that model as much as possible. Every NBA team needs a NBDL team. There are still some that share NBDL teams with other franchises -- and I believe a few have no affiliation at all. Crazy. Why would you put your prospects' development in the hands of another team? They should also get rid of the stupid names and either use the same name as the NBA club (e.g. Westchester Knicks) or something geographically appropriate, and build a real connection between the minor league city/team and the NBA team. They should try to up the salaries a little bit, just to lure a few more younger guys who might be inclined to sign in Europe. Easier said than done, but you've got to spend money to make money. If they want D-League teams to (a) attract loyal fanbases and (b) serve its purpose of being a real minor league through which players can develop their skills, then there's still more work to do. But I think it's actually moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Boatright (the incorrect spelling of Boatwright)
Made a mistake in not leaving after his junior year.
How big a mistake depends somewhat on his Acedemic status
It probabably cost him 10% of his BB earning potential.
No one keeps their athletism forever. That gift is his greatest asset.
He continues to get bad advise as the NBA height bias is always looming to his detriment. Not only does he have to be better than a 6'2 guard ,he has to be significantly better to beat him out. The NBA dream will continue to haunt him and his earning potential. The D league is a death sentence .
He is made to be a star in a foreign ( Europe) league. Where flash and style are appreciated. Even DD made $250K playing in a backwater league.Take the money Ryan , these NBA teams could care less about you.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Boatright (the incorrect spelling of Boatwright)
Made a mistake in not leaving after his junior year.
How big a mistake depends somewhat on his Acedemic status
It probabably cost him 10% of his BB earning potential.
No one keeps their athletism forever. That gift is his greatest asset.
He continues to get bad advise as the NBA height bias is always looming to his detriment. Not only does he have to be better than a 6'2 guard ,he has to be significantly better to beat him out. The NBA dream will continue to haunt him and his earning potential. The D league is a death sentence .
He is made to be a star in a foreign ( Europe) league. Where flash and style are appreciated. Even DD made $250K playing in a backwater league.Take the money Ryan , these NBA teams could care less about you.
I disagree. Boatright's performance in the NCAAT was not good enough to warrant a first round pick, especially considering the rest of that season was lackluster from a draft resume point of view.

I still think Deandre Daniels had the second most impressive showing in the 2014 tournament and helped his stock the most after Bazz. Some of those ISO post moves he was putting on against ISU and MSU were incredibly skilled and impressive, stuff NBA scouts like to see.

Him returning for his senior year at least showed that he can score big numbers on his own as the team's main option which is a good indicator that a player is a pro. Unfortunately the team's poor performance as a whole didn't help him.

Reaction Score
He went undrafted after his senior year,
couldn't do worse his junior year and might even been 2nd round.
But the most important thing is age ,and future earning potential
When your peak years are so short ever year you lose is huge.
People don't stay young forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99