Pick Your Favorite Song by a Group/Artist | Page 49 | The Boneyard

Pick Your Favorite Song by a Group/Artist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s tough to pick one from the Kinks, but I’m giving it a go. In the mid-60’s, a lot of British bands were doing their best to fit into the American market. But the Kinks were always unabashedly English. Albums like Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur really stand out that way. This one, from Arthur, is downright patriotic:

Saw the Kinks live at Jorgensen in ‘76 (?)
Place was barely half full, maybe even less....it was a freakin’ blast....just an all out party with the Kinks

Reaction Score
"King of Birds" by R.E.M. They were my favorite band and saw them live a few times. They had a lot of great ones but that is my favorite.

Reaction Score
Mighty tasty stuff, David Sanborn, live at Montreux 1981 "Love is Not Enough" - w/ Neil Larsen on the keyboards and Mike Mainieri on the vibes:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here’s one from Chicago’s second album. It’s atypical of Chicago, and very different from anything else Terry Kath wrote. Might not be everybody’s cuppa, but I think it’s just wonderful and fits in with their early, somewhat experimental sound.

Reaction Score
Denny Laine was one of the original members of the Moody Blues and sang lead on their first hit Go Now. He also spent about 10 years with Paul McCartney and Wings. I didn’t realize they did this in concert until I heard it on the Beatles station today.

Reaction Score
I think I posted this one in The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten thread, but I think it deserves an encore- my favorite by Neil Larsen and Buzz Feiten and their band Full Moon, doing the gorgeous instrumental "Malibu":

Reaction Score
Well, this thread has had quite a run, and I think we all have enjoyed it a lot. I'm off to the Canadian Rockies here in a couple days, so this will be my last post. This one will be from the mega talented Stevie Winwood - I posted one from him with Traffic, and this is probably my favorite solo song of his - "Vacant Chair'. I think the last few minutes are just magical:

Reaction Score
Let me squeeze in one more before I hit the road - this is Bert Jansch of Pentangle fame doing the traditional American folk song, "Katie Cruel". Beth Orton singing co lead on this one:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This one is one of Steeleye Span's best, and I think one of the best songs/sets ever. The events in it are factual. Rick Kemp, Steeleye's then-bass player and occasional vocalist, put together four songs, or sets of lyrics, to create this cut.

I'm gonna go into instructional mode for the rest of the post, so if you're not interested, click on the song. If you want to hear some spectacular singing straight away, go to about the 5:30 minute mark for song #3.

James Graham was the fifth Earl Montrose. His story is not unlike that of Robert E Lee, except that he was a loyalist to the big government and they hanged the leaders of the losers in the 17th century. He was a member of the Scottish aristocracy, and had an absolutely brilliant military mind. By a "historical accident", James became king of both England and Scotland, dividing Scotland among loyalists to the English and Scottish loyalists. Montrose wasn't crazy about English rule, but hated the amount of power the Church (Kirk) was amassing in Scotland.

The song begins with his youth, his struggle with loyalty to Scotland and England, the war, and his demise. The third part has some of the best multi-part harmony I've ever heard.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'll admit that I never had heard of Steely Dan before last year... that being said... of the 3 or 4 songs Ive heard.. this is the best one. Might have to get this one downloaded to play on a relaxing ride on the BRP
69.gif

Reaction Score
I'm on the road today in Montana, and I heard this super gem along the way, so I just have to do a 1a post for the Crusaders and their song "Way Back Home". The tune was written by band member Wilton Felder. I absolutely love Wayne Henderson's introduction of the band at the beginning:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Richard Thompson wrote this song in the mid-late 60's. His father was a constable, and young Richard would go on his beat sometimes. Genesis Hall was a place where squatters lived, and Richard happened to be with his father when the bobbies tried to evict the squatters.

It was first recorded by Fairport Convention with Richard playing guitar and Sandy Denny singing. I actually like this version more than the original. He's an incredible guitar player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This artist sings in a range that I favor. I'd love to hear her sing in a small venue with an acoustic guitar behind her.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm not going to go through the over 1,200 posts to see if Martina is posted, if it is sorry. This is one of my favorite songs that I've seen done live by her and I cry every time I hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom