Pick Your Favorite Song by a Group/Artist | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Pick Your Favorite Song by a Group/Artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I couldn't find the full version from Electric Ladyland, but here's a live version of Voodoo Chile:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And here's a version from All Them Witches, a wicked cool "stoner doom metal" band from Texas:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've listened to this album about five times since Friday. It was one of the first albums I owned; I got it for my eighth birthday from my middle sister.

I didn't realize when I was about 8 that John Barleycorn is the personification of drink, so the song kind of horrified me. I learned thal I was about 13 and got Below the Salt by Steeleye Span, which had the lines:

They worked their will on John Barleycorn but he lived to tell the tale
For they pour him out of an old brown jug and they call him home-brewed ale

There are hundreds of versions of the song out there, but this one is my favorite. I'm pretty sure Steve wrote new music, but the words are pretty true to some traditional versions.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Beach Boys - obviously a number of fine songs in their catalog, but I've always been a little extra partial to this song, "Girl Don't Tell Me" - Carl Wilson on the lead vocals:

Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys had a couple of things that set them apart from pedestrian pop-song makers. The first is that Brian had a knack for putting unexpected intervals and (especially) chords into their songs. This one has a couple. The second is that they had the singers to pull it off, which is no small feat.

One song of theirs that I couldn't stand as a kid but absolutely love now is Wouldn't it be Nice. Just a nice, simple pop song until about four lines into it, when those chords only Brian could come up with kick in, then it almost becomes art music meets doo-wop:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In honor of her visit, here is Sedona Prince's reputed/reported most played tune:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom