Pick all 5 starters next season (given the recent Megan to WNBA announcement) | The Boneyard

Pick all 5 starters next season (given the recent Megan to WNBA announcement)

5 votes - pick your best guess for the 5 starters

• Westbrook

• Williams

• Nelson Ododa

• Griffin

• Makurat

• Bueckers

• Edwards

• McLean

• Muhl

• Gabriel

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few complained in the last poll that it wasn't right (whatever - I'm not the NCAA's or ESPN, and even they get it wrong half the time!!) :)

So here's your chance. Vote for all 5 starters. You have 5 votes. GO!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hmmm. It seems the order of the players in the poll was connected to the OP's preference?? Otherwise, alphabetical order is de rigueur. ;)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Megan's departure certainly shakes things up a bit...but, adversity and change are things college athletes and coaching staffs have to deal with. With the increase in benefits and salary for the WNBA, the expected change in NCAA rules for transfers we can expect this to be even more frequent.

I am still very optimistic about next year's team despite our losing "Danger" and "Walker".

We will need to make up 42 points, 18 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 3.1 steals and 4.6 three pointers per game. With the loss of Megan Walker, Crystal Dangerfield, Kyra Irwin, Molly Bent, Batouly Camera and Evelyn Adebayo.

Megan was 82 percent and Dangerfield was 86 percent from the line.

After studying and evaluating the players from this year and next...Even with the loss of Megan Walker, Crystal Dangerfield and the rest of the senior class I feel that next year's team will be slightly better than this team. Of course, we lose two very experienced players and if Megan had come back we would have been scary good...and Geno would have had a problem splitting up the minutes.

1. Nelson Ododa is guaranteed to start at the 5. She will be fortunate to have Edwards and Gabriel (a project) to back her up should she need to sit for foul trouble or rest. Olivia will be more productive next year...I look for her to be a double-double machine. Olivia scored 10.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. I would look for Olivia to go for 15 points and 10 rebounds per game next year.

2. Christyn Williams had an off year...she is a very talented player who is a scorer...she will not have a similar year next season. She will show everyone why she came out of high school rated number one in her class. Christyn scored 14.6 points and grabbed 4.9 rebounds per game. I will look to her to average 18 points and 6 rebounds per game next year

3. Anna Makurat was really exciting to watch this past season. She had a rocky start but after she got going it was clear to see why Geno said that she has the highest basketball IQ on the court. She found her shot and towards the end of the season she was shooting the lights out. Her court vision and passing were exceptional. Her rebounding was solid...where she needs to improve is on the defensive end. This season Makurat scored 7.9 points and grabbed 3.9 rebounds per game. Anna shot 41 percent for the three and she hit 59 of them. I would expect Anna to score 14 points and grab 5 rebounds a game. I think she will knock down 90 three pointers and up her percentage to about 44 percent.

4. Evina Westbrook is an "x" factor. Does she thrive in Geno's system? Can she be the kind of player that Geno says she is during games? From what I remember of Evina's game when she was at Tennessee...she is an energetic player, who can handle the ball, she is a slasher and a scorer. I am going to assign her a modest roll with regards to scoring and rebounding. I expect that Evina will score 12 points and grab 3.5 rebounds.

5. Aubrey Griffin is a Gabbyess kind of player...very athletic, can run fast...her first step is a thing of beauty, she can rebound because she can jump out of the gym. She is a slasher / scorer type of player...a real joy to watch. Last Season she scored 6.4 points and grabbed 5.4 rebounds per game. I think Aubrey comes back one the most improved player on the team as she fully demonstrates the sophomore jump. I look for her to score 10 points and to grab 8 rebounds per game.

But here is where it gets interesting...we will have players who will come in and score and contribute off the bench.

While Paith Gabriel will be a work in progress...she is 6.5 and she is big...she will rebound and will score some...I expect because of her very limited time on the floor she will average 2 rebounds and 1.5 points a game.

Paige Bueckers - How in the world do you keep her off the floor...she may even earn a starting position before the season is over...I expect she will be exciting at moments on the floor. I look for her to score 6 points per game, get 4 or 5 assists and grab 2 rebounds per game.

Aliyah Edwards - Could be the surprise of the class and she may be earning starter minutes by the end of the season... I think we will get 4 points and 6 rebounds from Aliyah.

Mir McClean - is another fantastic athlete who will get minutes because you won't be able to keep her on the bench...she fast, can jump and is an excellent passer. I expect her to score 4 points per game, 2 rebounds

Nikki Muhl - is a very good point guard and is another player that Geno will have difficulty keeping on the bench...she will score, she will get assists. I look for her to score about 4 points, 3 assists and 1 rebound per game.

The Starters: This season we were able to get 68 points and 29.4 rebounds. Next season we should get 69 points and 31.5 rebounds from next year's starters.

The Bench: This season we got 13.2 points and 11.3 rebounds... Next season I project that we will get 19.5 points and 12.5 rebounds from the bench.

This season: We averaged 81.2 points and 40.7 rebounds. (definitely below our recent seasons averages)

Next season: We should average around 88.5 points and 44 rebounds per game.

*commentary welcome...as this is a work in progress...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4. Evina Westbrook is an "x" factor. Does she thrive in Geno's system? Can she be the kind of player that Geno says she is during games? From what I remember of Evina's game when she was at Tennessee...she is an energetic player, who can handle the ball, she is a slasher and a scorer. I am going to assign her a modest roll with regards to scoring and rebounding. I expect that Evina will score 12 points and grab 3.5 rebounds.

Paige Bueckers - How in the world do you keep her off the floor...she may even earn a starting position before the season is over...I expect she will be exciting at moments on the floor. I look for her to score 6 points per game, get 4 or 5 assists and grab 2 rebounds per game.

If this is all we are going to get from Evina and Paige, especially Paige next season, it will be a very big let down.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
OK, allow me a "sky is falling" moment... I went with the 1st 5 on the list but I am not as confident as I was in the prior poll. If Griffin doesn't show some serious mid-range threat, she may not start. One problem is we keep leaving ONO with no BIG to help her inside. Being the best 3 point shooting team in the country made it a 'pick your poison' decision for other teams doubling Liv. That proficiency just walked out the door (CD and MW) and no one coming in (I don't think) is considered a 3 point assassin are they? So we get smaller and also less proficient on the perimeter. Bad news for Liv.

OK, anxiety attack over (for now).

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Evina will have a learning curve playing games under Geno's system...she may do better...but there is only one basketball and other players have to play. I expect as we get to the end of the season her averages will go up. Paige probably will come off the bench...it will be hard for her to be counted on to score...I envision her coming in to play the point and distribute the basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OK, allow me a "sky is falling" moment... I went with the 1st 5 on the list but I am not as confident as I was in the prior poll. If Griffin doesn't show some serious mid-range threat, she may not start. One problem is we keep leaving ONO with no BIG to help her inside. Being the best 3 point shooting team in the country made it a 'pick your poison' decision for other teams doubling Liv. That proficiency just walked out the door (CD and MW) and no one coming in (I don't think) is considered a 3 point assassin are they? So we get smaller and also less proficient on the perimeter. Bad news for Liv.

OK, anxiety attack over (for now).
Bueckers is essentially neck and neck with Fudd as a very high percentage 3 point shooter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Your best and third best leading scorers leave. That's a lot of points to replace.

1. Megan - 630 pts 19.7 ppg
2. Christyn - 467 pts 14.6 ppg
3. Crystal - 448 pts 14.9 ppg

About 34 ppg needs to be found among the returnees next year. Who can come in and fill those shoes? :eek:

Dangerfield had a slightly higher average because she played in 30 games. Christyn played in all 32.
Geno figured it out this year after Samuelson and Collier left, he'll do it again.

With regards to the poll, the 6th man usually starts the next year for Geno if there is an opening. At the end of the season, Aubrey was the 6th man. I'm looking for her to step up, make that soph. leap, and...............become a quasi-leader with the departure of Megan. No seniors on the team next year. So the leadership baton is passed to juniors Evina, Christyn and Olivia, with help from sophomores Anna and Aubrey. Anna and Aubrey are going to be forced to grow up real quick to help guide the freshmen (on and of the court) as someone did for them.

Remember that Megan was part of a class of 4 three years ago. Michaela Coombs (Georgia), Lexi Gordon (Texas Tech) and Andra Espinosa-Hunter (Miss St), all left for greener pastures. Like John Reid, Megan suddenly became the Lone Ranger. Who would have ever imagined that when those four came to Storrs three years ago, none of them would be there for their senior year. :confused: I wonder if Geno would entertain the idea of adding another "graduate" senior next year? :rolleyes:

UConn wbb 2019-2020 stats

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Your best and third best leading scorers leave. That's a lot of points to replace.

1. Megan - 630 pts 19.7 ppg
2. Christyn - 467 pts 14.6 ppg
3. Crystal - 448 pts 14.9 ppg

About 34 ppg needs to be found among the returnees next year. Who can come in and fill those shoes? :eek:

Dangerfield had a slightly higher average because she played in 30 games. Christyn played in all 32.
Geno figured it out this year after Samuelson and Collier left, he'll do it again.

With regards to the poll, the 6th man usually starts the next year for Geno if there is an opening. At the end of the season, Aubrey was the 6th man. I'm looking for her to step up, make that soph. leap, and...............become a quasi-leader with the departure of Megan. No seniors on the team next year. So the leadership baton is passed to juniors Evina, Christyn and Olivia, with help from sophomores Anna and Aubrey. Anna and Aubrey are going to be forced to grow up real quick to help guide the freshmen (on and of the court) as someone did for them.

Remember that Megan was part of a class of 4 three years ago. Michaela Coombs (Georgia), Lexi Gordon (Texas Tech) and Andra Espinosa-Hunter (Miss St) all left for greener pastures. Like John Reid, Megan became the Lone Ranger. Who would have ever imagined that when those four came to Storrs three years ago, none of them would be there for their senior year. :confused:

UConn wbb 2019-2020 stats

Our overall system (assuming our team "gets" it ) and talent will allow us to get alot of good shots and some great shots. The points will come as long as Evina and Paige pick up the inner workings of the offense

Reaction Score
Evina will have a learning curve playing games under Geno's system...she may do better...but there is only one basketball and other players have to play. I expect as we get to the end of the season her averages will go up. Paige probably will come off the bench...it will be hard for her to be counted on to score...I envision her coming in to play the point and distribute the basketball.

Wow. In your view about Paige -- I think it to be an extreme disappointment. Why can't pg's also score? She is unlike any past elite pg we've had since DT who wasn't really a pg. She is 5'11. That means once she gets into the paint she can score.

This is a player who as junior was regarded by many publications as better than the seniors. And she is only going to get 6 points and 3-4 assists? IMO you are vastly underselling her and pigeoning a pg to mean passer only. Paige is also a scorer that happens to also be a pg.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is reluctant to shoot and Anna is a far superior passer. With Crystal and Megan gone, we'll need someone on the floor to shoot the 3. They'll both get their minutes.

Reaction Score
Megan grabbed a lot of rebounds for us She also helped to defend bigs for the past two years. That's why I think Aubrey will start at the 4 and Edwards will get her minutes between the 4 and 5. Paige can shot the lights out and score 20 a game if necessary. She can shoot the mid ridge foul line jumper off the pick or deliver the roll pass high where Liv can shoot versus bringing the ball down to guard level and have it knocked out of her hand. We hope the freshmen are as good as advertised. Geno as others have said will figure it out. Maybe as some have suggested the transfer portal might be interesting this year.

Reaction Score
Interesting results so far. Which of Evina/Williams/Mak/Paige is playing the 4?
We could have a [quick] four guard(s) offense [no '3' nor '4'] .. otherwise, Edwards at the '4', possibly Aubrey then Mir [I'm guessing]

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wow. In your view about Paige -- I think it to be an extreme disappointment. Why can't pg's also score? She is unlike any past elite pg we've had since DT who wasn't really a pg. She is 5'11. That means once she gets into the paint she can score.

This is a player who as junior was regarded by many publications as better than the seniors. And she is only going to get 6 points and 3-4 assists? IMO you are vastly underselling her and pigeoning a pg to mean passer only. Paige is also a scorer that happens to also be a pg.

I admit that I went conservative with Paige because even though she will be a freshman phenom...I can still remember what it took to get Maya Moore to be a starter. I am not saying that Paige can't score...I haveseen enough tape to know that isn't true...I am saying with this team I am not sure that will be her role...we are going to need her to distribute the basketball Unless Muhl surprises everyone and becomes the point guard and Paige move over to the shooting guard...And, Geno, does the unexpected and sits Williams and Evina. I don't see that happening. I will say that in my analysis I was concerned about who will be the floor general...Crystal was that person... Megan took over at times... Makurat has the ability but I am concerned about what appears to be a lack of foot speed. This is where Paige might be able to step in as you say and be the one to calm things down and be that floor general...however, it keeps bouncing back that she is only going to be a freshman and we all know that freshmen have their moments.

Who is Geno going to sit for Paige. It won't be CW, it won't be Ododo, it won't be Makurat, that leaves two positions. I think Evina gets the start. So it comes down to Paige or Aubrey. At least for the beginning of the season Aubrey will get the start and will probably hold it at least until after the Christmas break.

Depending on how Aubrey's develops over the summer will determine if she loses her starting position....this is going to be a very difficult problem. Maybe Aubry and Paige split time..in which case Paige's numbers move upward...but, the post wasn't just about Paige...it was about the entire team and how they will make up for the lost of their two best players in Danger and Walker.

Here is another way of looking at it.

ONO - 5
Aubrey - 4
Makurat - 3
Evina - 1/2
Williams 1/2
Paige 1

Who sits???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aubrey seems like a good person to have on the bench to start since she could sub in for nearly any position. I wouldn't put her on the same level as Gabby Williams who could truly play any position, but Aubrey can defend 1-5 and can slide into the 4/5 spot on the offensive end as needed. Hopefully she works on her shot so she can play more roles on the offensive end, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom