Pick all 5 starters next season (given the recent Megan to WNBA announcement) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pick all 5 starters next season (given the recent Megan to WNBA announcement)

5 votes - pick your best guess for the 5 starters

• Westbrook

• Williams

• Nelson Ododa

• Griffin

• Makurat

• Bueckers

• Edwards

• McLean

• Muhl

• Gabriel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I’m going with Aubrey starts and Paige gets a lot of minutes. Only because of the season and upside Aubrey has. Plus that’s not a bad starting line up of Evian CW Aubrey Makurat ONO.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
If Aubrey comes back with confidence in her shot next year...look out. People must remember in high school she was a scorer...she could shoot from the outside, she could pull up for the short jumper...it is a matter of confidence...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have a bench of Aubrey, Mir, Nika, Aaliyah, and Piath.

Plus Charli Collier. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What are their 3pt%?
I'm not sure what their shooting percentages are but I'll give you my impressions and what I think I recall. I think Paige shoots 40% or a little better from the arc. I'm not sure where Azzi was this year. When healthy, she's about 45% to 52%. She's the only player I know who rivals Kaleena. Azzi is a better shooter than Lou, who was pretty darned good.

In their 3-point shooting contest, I think Azzi nipped Paige by 1 (24-23 or something like that).

Paige shot 89% on FTs this season. Azzi is usually a little over 90%.

Paige is an excellent shooter. Azzi is the best shooter.

Reaction Score
I admit that I went conservative with Paige because even though she will be a freshman phenom...I can still remember what it took to get Maya Moore to be a starter. I am not saying that Paige can't score...I haveseen enough tape to know that isn't true...I am saying with this team I am not sure that will be her role...we are going to need her to distribute the basketball Unless Muhl surprises everyone and becomes the point guard and Paige move over to the shooting guard...And, Geno, does the unexpected and sits Williams and Evina. I don't see that happening. I will say that in my analysis I was concerned about who will be the floor general...Crystal was that person... Megan took over at times... Makurat has the ability but I am concerned about what appears to be a lack of foot speed. This is where Paige might be able to step in as you say and be the one to calm things down and be that floor general...however, it keeps bouncing back that she is only going to be a freshman and we all know that freshmen have their moments.

Who is Geno going to sit for Paige. It won't be CW, it won't be Ododo, it won't be Makurat, that leaves two positions. I think Evina gets the start. So it comes down to Paige or Aubrey. At least for the beginning of the season Aubrey will get the start and will probably hold it at least until after the Christmas break.

Depending on how Aubrey's develops over the summer will determine if she loses her starting position....this is going to be a very difficult problem. Maybe Aubry and Paige split time..in which case Paige's numbers move upward...but, the post wasn't just about Paige...it was about the entire team and how they will make up for the lost of their two best players in Danger and Walker.

Here is another way of looking at it.

ONO - 5
Aubrey - 4
Makurat - 3
Evina - 1/2
Williams 1/2
Paige 1

Who sits???

I didn't understand your Maya comment.

WIth that said-- Paige's role is going to be to score and pass. She's too good to just be a passer. She is also a terrific scorer.

And for the players you mention above == You have 4 players for 3 positions -

PB is pg/sg. 1/2
Evina is pg/sf -- Evina can play SF. 1/3
CW is sg. 2
AM is SF. 3

Then quite a few people seem to be talking up Edwards so here is your frontcourt:
Liv is the center. 5
Griff is the PF. 4 (this year vs smaller teams as a frosh she has played 5 and she'll only be better and stronger.)
Edwards is the center/pf. 4/5

I don't know enough about Muhl or Mir.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well good guards make the team go. So IMO Paige starts and Griff comes off the bench as instant energizer and rebounder. I see Westbrook and Anna doing alot of rebounding however we need a good point guard and Paige should get the start. We do have a nucleus next coming back next season. Meg and CD will be tuff to replace but so was Stewie and MJ and Lou and Phessa.

Anna and Paige are terrific passers. That in itself is a huge lift for this team. Some of you are afraid we lost to much scoring. Remember we are a year older and we will score. Westbrook is a great scorer and along with CW Paige Anna will provide plenty of 3 pointers and dribble drives which is something we didnt have enough of this season. WE have to much talent not to be really good.

Dont be surprised if your pleasantly surprised .

Reaction Score
Your best and third best leading scorers leave. That's a lot of points to replace.

1. Megan - 630 pts 19.7 ppg
2. Christyn - 467 pts 14.6 ppg
3. Crystal - 448 pts 14.9 ppg

About 34 ppg needs to be found among the returnees next year. Who can come in and fill those shoes? :eek:

Dangerfield had a slightly higher average because she played in 30 games. Christyn played in all 32.
Geno figured it out this year after Samuelson and Collier left, he'll do it again.

With regards to the poll, the 6th man usually starts the next year for Geno if there is an opening. At the end of the season, Aubrey was the 6th man. I'm looking for her to step up, make that soph. leap, and...............become a quasi-leader with the departure of Megan. No seniors on the team next year. So the leadership baton is passed to juniors Evina, Christyn and Olivia, with help from sophomores Anna and Aubrey. Anna and Aubrey are going to be forced to grow up real quick to help guide the freshmen (on and of the court) as someone did for them.

Remember that Megan was part of a class of 4 three years ago. Michaela Coombs (Georgia), Lexi Gordon (Texas Tech) and Andra Espinosa-Hunter (Miss St), all left for greener pastures. Like John Reid, Megan suddenly became the Lone Ranger. Who would have ever imagined that when those four came to Storrs three years ago, none of them would be there for their senior year. :confused: I wonder if Geno would entertain the idea of adding another "graduate" senior next year? :rolleyes:

UConn wbb 2019-2020 stats

Minor correction, It's actually "your top two leading scorers...as your "ppg" indicates. If Geno does go the "graduate" route...I'm all for it if this player contributes "significant" minutes (15+), not like Evelyn's 6.5 avg/gm

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
“When [Stewart] was a freshman, she took that hard, because the game was so easy in November and everybody was like, ‘Damn, this kid is the like second coming.’ Until reality set in and it was like, ‘Damn, this is going to really hard.’ Paige is in for that. The expectations for her are going to be through the roof. She is going to be great, and she is going to struggle. Look how many struggles [Taurasi] had as a freshman. [Stewart]. Rebecca [Lobo]. Everyone." Except Maya.
Paige will be a full time starter after Mid-January but not in November.

Reaction Score
We can add as many as 3 extras (transfers may need to sit down one year, so graduates or from oversea are better)

Reaction Score
Minor correction, It's actually "your top two leading scorers...as your "ppg" indicates. If Geno does go the "graduate" route...I'm all for it if this player contributes "significant" minutes (15+), not like Evelyn's 6.5 avg/gm
Points don’t concern me because they will come elsewhere, probably from a very balanced attack. I can see 5 starters averaging 12-17 a game with strong contribution from bench. Meg shot a lot and Meg missed a lot. It was her job. But sometimes relying on that meant less ball movement. The ball will move much better next year with Anna and Paige’s passing. More players will get open. Anna, Christyn, Liv, Evina, Paige—all are very likely double digit scorers. Aubrey chips in 8-10 a game off the bench. The rest of the bench is young but extremely talented. More points there. Points, assists are there. Passing is there. Rebounds are more of a concern, mainly up to Liv and Anna with Aubrey off bench. I think Meg’s rebounding is more of a loss than her shooting. If rebounds become a concern, Aubrey gets more minutes. I actually think UConn gets better in many respects.

Reaction Score
We can add as many as 3 extras (transfers may need to sit down one year, so graduates or from oversea are better)

I am very happy with the team as is and incoming freshmen. I am happy with players who come in the year after. Transfers tell your guys we don’t trust you. Maybe that means no NC in 2021. But it means NCs in 2022, 2023, 2024....Geno talks about coaching five more years. Going out with four straight NCs is possible.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what their shooting percentages are but I'll give you my impressions and what I think I recall. I think Paige shoots 40% or a little better from the arc. I'm not sure where Azzi was this year. When healthy, she's about 45% to 52%. She's the only player I know who rivals Kaleena. Azzi is a better shooter than Lou, who was pretty darned good.

In their 3-point shooting contest, I think Azzi nipped Paige by 1 (24-23 or something like that).

Paige shot 89% on FTs this season. Azzi is usually a little over 90%.

Paige is an excellent shooter. Azzi is the best shooter.
Which is even more amazing regarding Paige - not only is she an elite level shooter, but she also is a point guard - the player with the ball in her hands using her BBlQ to run the offense, read defenses, and zip outstanding passes to her teammates.

Reaction Score
PB
AM
CW
EW
ONO
Griffin and Edwards first off the bench!
Only 7 1/2 months and counting down.....
A long wait.....but time seems to go pretty fast once you hit 60! Ha!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I didn't understand your Maya comment.

WIth that said-- Paige's role is going to be to score and pass. She's too good to just be a passer. She is also a terrific scorer.

And for the players you mention above == You have 4 players for 3 positions -

PB is pg/sg. 1/2
Evina is pg/sf -- Evina can play SF. 1/3
CW is sg. 2
AM is SF. 3

Then quite a few people seem to be talking up Edwards so here is your frontcourt:
Liv is the center. 5
Griff is the PF. 4 (this year vs smaller teams as a frosh she has played 5 and she'll only be better and stronger.)
Edwards is the center/pf. 4/5

I don't know enough about Muhl or Mir.

My Maya comment went to the fact that Maya was all everything coming out of high school. She was the prize of the class and everyone knew she was a game changer and would impact the game of women's college basketball...yet Geno did not start her on day one. Can't remember who it was...but, it took a starter to get injured and Geno started Maya and never looked back after that. I just don't think Paige starts on day one...she might as she might be that good...but, either way by mid January...Geno will have trouble trying to keep the kid on the bench. In my analysis I deliberately kept scoring prophesies on the conservative side because quite frankly I think next season's version of the huskies is a better offensive team in many ways.

This year's team was hampered by inconsistent shooting by Chrystn Williams and Megan Walker. Yeah, I know Megan averaged 19.6 per game...but she often took a lot of shots and she was inconsistent against top ranked teams. Makurat didn't find her stroke until the last third of the season. ONO got better and better as the season went on as did Aubrey. As a result Crystal had to be a scoring point guard and in many cases she had to carry the offense. I don't think that is going to be the case with next year's point guard, which will eventually be Paige.

At the beginning of the season with Paige coming off the bench (and this is just a scenario that may change if Geno, et al., decide that she starts from day one)...

Christyn Williams who was essentially a shooting guard in high school but who was also counted on to play the point, will be more than likely playing the 1/2 as will Evina who at 6'0" played point guard in high school. With the two of them sharing point guard duties I think the scoring will fall primarily to Williams who we all know is capable of 20 plus points at any given time. Consistency and confidence have been her problems this past season...I look to her to get past all of that and I think she leads the team in scoring with around 18 points.

ONO is going to be hard to stop in the middle next year and she will average double figures 12 to 14 points as well, Makurat has caught up to the college game...issues of speed aside, she is one smart basketball player with a great stroke. She will play the 2/3 position where she will be counted on for threes, rebounding to go along with her beautiful passing game. When Paige gets into the game it is going to be a thing of beauty watching them work the ball around and finding open shooters.

Evina can shoot the three...at Tennessee she made 85 threes while shooting 31 percent from the arc; in sophomore year she made 100 threes, shooting 39 percent from the arc. She is a hell of a player off the bounce....and a pretty good playmaker. Here is her ESPN profile description while she was in high school: "Confident, versatile play-maker brings size to the back court; superb court awareness, passes with purpose in uptempo game; mid-range game creator moves to the arc; an elite guard in the class of 2017" Bret McCormick from the All Star Girls Report had this to say about Evina when she signed for Tennessee: “There’s nothing she can’t do,” McCormick said. “She’s a great passer. She lives on the free throw line. She rebounds. She defends. She affects the game in so many ways. She doesn’t need to score a lot of points to be effective.” I believe that next year is Evina's team...she will be the vocal leader and she has been waiting a long time to get back on that court. I am sure that I under-rated her scoring contribution in my original analysis but the was by design...as I wanted to keep scoring predictions on the conservative side... Good thing I did because I still came out with UConn averaging 88 points a game. That is a fairly high average given that Geno usually has the team take their foot off the gas in games where he is up by 30 or more. Starters usually spend a lot of time on the bench in the 4th quarter...so, players point totals take a hit. So, while Evina might score more than I attributed to her...I don't think that is a bad problem to have.

Aubrey is too athletic to be held down and to be unproductive. This year Aubrey job was to find her sea legs...she did that in the second half of the season...you could literally see the teams energy come up as soon as "the disrupter" came into the game. She has a real nose for the ball...the ball comes off the rim and bingo..there is Aubrey...her muscle twitch makes her the first person off the floor and aerial which enables her to snag rebounds away from bigger players. She will only be better next year. Some folks may not know this about Aubrey but in her senior year in high school she averaged 28.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 3.5 steals and 2.0 blocks per game. Interestingly, her total varsity averages over three years in high school were 26.8 points, 9.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 3.5 steals and 1.6 blocks per game. That is consistency over her entire high school career. Aubrey was a versatile scorer as this description indicates: "Athletic guard with versatility; aggressive offensive threat looks to attack on every possession; exploits mismatches, finishes plays in traffic; handles and scores in uptempo; a shot maker off the dribble with range to the arc" If Aubrey becomes a starter it is going to be difficult to put her back on the bench... She will consistently score and she will consistently energize the defense which in turn will spark the offense...she will earn the title of "the disrupter".

There is no point getting into each of the freshmen...as I have already done in my original post...but suffice it to know that there will be points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocked shots from this very talented freshmen class. The more aI look at the players, the more I believe that next year's team will be slightly better than this years team and by March...I believe that next years team will be a final four team with a good shot at the championship.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Goodness. Sitting here listening to "Dark side of the moon" and in my head I see a PG & PF during most of the game. Totally keeping opposing defenses confused.

Reaction Score
Understanding Geno's history, especially with Incoming Freshman (refer to Brianna Stewart), this is what I foresee as the Starting Lineup for the 2020-2021 Season:

ONO
Williams
Makurat
Griffin
Westbrook

Simply because all of these players know, understand and have (with the exception of Evina Westbrook) actually played in Geno's system in games. Paige will get allot of minutes, initially coming off the bench, as the 1st person subbed in. Edwards will be the next person (to sub in for Olivia). Then Gabriel. I suspect the Muhl and McLean will be the last to come in. If Paige develops quickly and grasps an very good understanding of the offense "and most importantly THE DEFENSE" then she could end up starting later on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom