Pick all 5 starters next season (given the recent Megan to WNBA announcement) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pick all 5 starters next season (given the recent Megan to WNBA announcement)

5 votes - pick your best guess for the 5 starters

• Westbrook

• Williams

• Nelson Ododa

• Griffin

• Makurat

• Bueckers

• Edwards

• McLean

• Muhl

• Gabriel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I admit that I went conservative with Paige because even though she will be a freshman phenom...I can still remember what it took to get Maya Moore to be a starter. I am not saying that Paige can't score...I haveseen enough tape to know that isn't true...I am saying with this team I am not sure that will be her role...we are going to need her to distribute the basketball Unless Muhl surprises everyone and becomes the point guard and Paige move over to the shooting guard...And, Geno, does the unexpected and sits Williams and Evina. I don't see that happening. I will say that in my analysis I was concerned about who will be the floor general...Crystal was that person... Megan took over at times... Makurat has the ability but I am concerned about what appears to be a lack of foot speed. This is where Paige might be able to step in as you say and be the one to calm things down and be that floor general...however, it keeps bouncing back that she is only going to be a freshman and we all know that freshmen have their moments.

Who is Geno going to sit for Paige. It won't be CW, it won't be Ododo, it won't be Makurat, that leaves two positions. I think Evina gets the start. So it comes down to Paige or Aubrey. At least for the beginning of the season Aubrey will get the start and will probably hold it at least until after the Christmas break.

Depending on how Aubrey's develops over the summer will determine if she loses her starting position....this is going to be a very difficult problem. Maybe Aubry and Paige split time..in which case Paige's numbers move upward...but, the post wasn't just about Paige...it was about the entire team and how they will make up for the lost of their two best players in Danger and Walker.

Here is another way of looking at it.

ONO - 5
Aubrey - 4
Makurat - 3
Evina - 1/2
Williams 1/2
Paige 1

Who sits???
When was Megan ever the floor general this year? LOL. Aubrey is not going to start. She is better coming off the bench to do what she does! Skill wise and confidence between Aubrey and Paige is not even close! IMO it is time to give the keys to the freshman! This will be her team the next 4 years!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
“When [Stewart] was a freshman, she took that hard, because the game was so easy in November and everybody was like, ‘Damn, this kid is the like second coming.’ Until reality set in and it was like, ‘Damn, this is going to really hard.’ Paige is in for that. The expectations for her are going to be through the roof. She is going to be great, and she is going to struggle. Look how many struggles [Taurasi] had as a freshman. [Stewart]. Rebecca [Lobo]. Everyone." Except Maya.
Paige will be a full time starter after Mid-January but not in November.
This is Geno-speak. Sales really did not struggle as a freshman; Rizzotti thrived as a freshman. Rizzotti started from day one and had her second productive season as a freshman point-wise and minute-wise, more productive than the season that landed her on the cover of SI.

From the time of Rizzotti up until this decade Auriemma started his incoming point guard of the future from day one. In addition to Rizzotti there was R. Williams, Bird, Montgomery and Hartley. The only exception within that time frame was Conlon. Point guard has proven to be the position Auriemma is most likely to start as a freshman, with center close behind. However, he did not start his two most recent point guards of the future, Jefferson and Dangerfield. Does this represent a new trend? Perhaps, but ....

For the past few years we have not had as natural a leader as Taurasi (or Rizzotti). Add to that our unusual situation here with no returning juniors (excluding Westbrook for now). The last time that happened we were fine, because one of the returning sophomores was named Taurasi. Yet no matter how talented and experienced ONO or Williams may be they do not have Bueckers innate leadership skills. If any situation was ideal for a freshman to start, it would be the one Bueckers finds herself coming into.

If Bueckers is the leader she appears to be it is in the program's best interest to invest in her immediately. Tell her if anything goes wrong it's her fault, like Auriemma did with Bird, if she is a player that can handle that. Even if there are bumps in the road from starting her immediately (which there may not be considering that the bumps for Rizzotti, Bird and Montgomery were minimal) the starting leadership role should be handed over to her immediately, if she is indeed the born leader she appears to be.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Personally, I am more uncertain about who should start now than before the Walker announcement. As I understand it Walker was key in recruiting Westbrook. I am more uncertain as to whether Westbrook stays or goes; I am more uncertain as to what her role would be if she stays. Walker leaving could be more impetus to start her ... or less. I feel kind of bad for Westbrook.

Reaction Score
It would be an interesting experiment in preseason to have two platoons; the returnees and the Freshmen. I would not want to face either squad as a coach.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Personally, I am more uncertain about who should start now than before the Walker announcement. As I understand it Walker was key in recruiting Westbrook. I am more uncertain as to whether Westbrook stays or goes; I am more uncertain as to what her role would be if she stays. Walker leaving could be more impetus to start her ... or less. I feel kind of bad for Westbrook.
Evina's mom says she loves UConn on social media. Geno and others have remarked that Evina interacted with ALL her teammates. I think Evina has built relationships with all the Huskies. I think Evina will be fine in these uncertain times.

Reaction Score
I believe Westbrook knew all about Walker's thinking throughout the season. And I think Westbrook came to UConn for the same reason as Walker, to get ready to be a pro. Playing together for a year and leaving together may have been the plan but the second surgery for EW scuttled that. Now Westbrook will use the '20-'21 season as she may have planned to use this one. Just business.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Westbrook knew all about Walker's thinking throughout the season. And I think Westbrook came to UConn for the same reason as Walker, to get ready to be a pro. Playing together for a year and leaving together may have been the plan but the second surgery for EW scuttled that. Now Westbrook will use the '20-'21 season as she may have planned to use this one. Just business.
Could be, but it was the waiver denial, not the surgery, that kept them from playing together.

Reaction Score
As a comparison (Breanna Stewart vs. Paige Bueckers, vs Aubrey Griffin):

Aubrey Griffins High School (Senior Season) - 28.2 PPG, 4.3 APG, 10.4 RPG, 3.5 SPG, 2.0 BPG
Paige Bueckers High School (Senior Season) - 21.4 PPG, 9.4 APG, 5.0 RPG, 5.4 SPG, 0.5 BPG
Brena Stewarts High School (Senior Season) - 23.0 PPG, 2.9 APG, 9.8 RPG, 2.7 SPG, 3.0 BPG

We all know that High School Basketball and playing at UCONN are "Two Totally Different Experiences". Yes, Aubrey had what many would say was a "Typical Season for a Highly Recruited Freshman at UCONN" (many would say that she was, especially in the 2nd half of the season, even better than expected). Paige, while being rated as the #1 recruit, still will be a "Freshman" at UCONN next season. Remember, Breanna Stewart's Freshman Year at UCONN she averaged:

B. Stewart: Average Minutes Per Game: 22.0; PPG: 12.2; APG: 1.0; 6.5 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 1.9 BPG

In comparsion:

A. Griffin: Average Minutes Per Game: 16.7; PPG: 6.4; APG: 1.0; 5.4 RPG; 1.5 SPG; 0.6 BPG

So remember, we all need to continue to see the great potential that is in front of us with regards to Aubrey Griffin's ability to increase her scoring and be that tremendous factor that we all know she will be for UCONN. In the same manner, many need to temper their expectations, at least for the Freshman Year for Paige Bueckers.

Reaction Score

Aubrey Griffins High School (Senior Season) - 28.2 PPG, 4.3 APG, 10.4 RPG, 3.5 SPG, 2.0 BPG
Paige Bueckers High School (Senior Season) - 21.4 PPG, 9.4 APG, 5.0 RPG, 5.4 SPG, 0.5 BPG
Brena Stewarts High School (Senior Season) - 23.0 PPG, 2.9 APG, 9.8 RPG, 2.7 SPG, 3.0 BPG

We all know that High School Basketball and playing at UCONN are "Two Totally Different Experiences". Yes, Aubrey had what many would say was a "Typical Season for a Highly Recruited Freshman at UCONN" (many would say that she was, especially in the 2nd half of the season, even better than expected). Paige, while being rated as the #1 recruit, still will be a "Freshman" at UCONN next season. Remember, Breanna Stewart's Freshman Year at UCONN she averaged:

B. Stewart: Average Minutes Per Game: 22.0; PPG: 12.2; APG: 1.0; 6.5 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 1.9 BPG

In comparsion:

A. Griffin: Average Minutes Per Game: 16.7; PPG: 6.4; APG: 1.0; 5.4 RPG; 1.5 SPG; 0.6 BPG

So remember, we all need to continue to see the great potential that is in front of us with regards to Aubrey Griffin's ability to increase her scoring and be that tremendous factor that we all know she will be for UCONN. In the same manner, many need to temper their expectations, at least for the Freshman Year for Paige Bueckers.

I think your post is so far off it's like the distance between Mars and Earth.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a team win a NC without seniors? I’ll gladly take that feather for Geno’s cap.

Reaction Score

In comparsion:

Comparing performances in high school is nearly meaningless. Some high school conferences are extremely weak, some very strong. For example, a 6’ 5” player might average 20 rebounds a game in a league with few players even 6’. What got me about watching some of Paige’s games were the number of D-1 players on both teams.

Reaction Score
Could be, but it was the waiver denial, not the surgery, that kept them from playing together.
Either way the result is the same. But I’m not sure EW could’ve played the whole season without the surgery becoming necessary anyway although I have no way of knowing.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a team win a NC without seniors? I’ll gladly take that feather for Geno’s cap.

The last team to win without a single senior on the roster was the 2002-2003 UConn Huskies. Led by Diana Taurasi who was a junior.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The last team to win without a single senior on the roster was the 2002-2003 UConn Huskies. Led by Diana Taurasi who was a junior.

I didn’t realize that team was without seniors. Thanks!

Reaction Score

In comparsion:

While I understand that you may want to promote Griffin as the next great thing, you shouldn’t bother to use these meaningless stats to do it. First, when recruiting these kids the coaches pay more attention to how they physically handle the much better AAU competition than the great numbers they put up against the usually overmatched HS kids. And secondly, comparing Griffin’s freshman season to Stewart’s statistically isn’t relevant either. Stewart’s team was so loaded it allowed Auriemma to limit her minutes for teaching purposes. If she’d been on a team like this year’s and more production was needed, in more minutes she’d have easily exceeded those numbers she had. Griffin has a lot of potential and will most likely have a nice career but this comparison isn’t a good one. On that team Griffin would’ve likely gotten similar minutes to the walkons.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I went with Paige, Williams, Westbrook, Olivia and Edwards. Gives us a legit 1-5 - good balance between bigs and guards for good movement. This team should be able to up tempo games on the defensive side and maybe even press. Ana is a step slower physically and has a role as a game changer with her offensive game. Nika will need some time to adjust but Aubrey and Mir will be able to change the game defensively while Ana and Nika should be able to change the game offensively. UConn will be a matchup nightmare for most of America next year.

Reaction Score
I think Christyn, Olivia and Anna are near locks. They bring the most experience in a UConn uniform and have already developed a near full season of chemistry. The rest is really interesting to debate.

Edwards- if she comes in and is composed and mature, I’d really like to see her start at the 4. It’s been a while since UConn started a true front court with size.

Westbrook- I’m not sure how Geno is going to use her. With Paige being the future pg of the program, does he use Evina as a 2/3? If he is using her at the 1, I think she starts over Paige if healthy.

Paige- if she is as good as advertised from the beginning, she immediately gets the keys to the car. But playing pg for Geno as a freshman isn’t always easy.

Aubrey- if she can develop a jump shot, I could see her starting at the 4. I’d prefer she came off the bench to change defensive intensity and our overall energy. But since she returns some experience, she could start easily as her main competition will come from freshman.

My guess is that day one Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Griffin, and ONO will start. But won’t be surprised to see Bueckers, Williams, Makurat, Edwards, and ONO get a lot of court time together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A little bit of analysis and observation. I LOVE that 230+ and counting people have voted. I think it's interesting that Olivia is the only player who 100% of the people who voted thinks will start.

Christyn is next at 95.7% and Evina a bit behind at 91.3%. I also find it interesting that Aubrey at 74% and Aaliyah at 17% picked up some votes as well. Regardless of whether or not they start, I think it's pretty clear people feel they will see SIGNIFICANT time off the bench and will give excellent contributions to the team next season.

IMHO IF Aubrey works on her midrange and possibly 3-point game (she already has become a better FT shooter throughout the course of the season), she will be even more valuable.

I LOVED seeing Mir and Nika pick up a few votes as well. I think both are a bit of a wild card - Nika the only "non" starter per the poll who's a guard, and Mir, with her insane athleticism, has a chance to do for the team what Aubrey did this year.

I think we all believe Piath will be a work in progress / project for the coaches, but given Megan's departure, IMHO it's much likely she will be asked to redshirt, unless she is woefully unready for college basketball.

I know Geno does not read the boneyard, but we are filled with multiple levels of knowledgeable fans, many of who I think know more than coaches currently coaching Div 1 WCBB teams. Just read the comments and observations of each player as many have written in such detail. Bravo BY!!

Reaction Score
A little bit of analysis and observation. I LOVE that 230+ and counting people have voted. I think it's interesting that Olivia is the only player who 100% of the people who voted thinks will start.

Christyn is next at 95.7% and Evina a bit behind at 91.3%. I also find it interesting that Aubrey at 74% and Aaliyah at 17% picked up some votes as well. Regardless of whether or not they start, I think it's pretty clear people feel they will see SIGNIFICANT time off the bench and will give excellent contributions to the team next season.

IMHO IF Aubrey works on her midrange and possibly 3-point game (she already has become a better FT shooter throughout the course of the season), she will be even more valuable.

I LOVED seeing Mir and Nika pick up a few votes as well. I think both are a bit of a wild card - Nika the only "non" starter per the poll who's a guard, and Mir, with her insane athleticism, has a chance to do for the team what Aubrey did this year.

I think we all believe Piath will be a work in progress / project for the coaches, but given Megan's departure, IMHO it's much likely she will be asked to redshirt, unless she is woefully unready for college basketball.

I know Geno does not read the boneyard, but we are filled with multiple levels of knowledgeable fans, many of who I think know more than coaches currently coaching Div 1 WCBB teams. Just read the comments and observations of each player as many have written in such detail. Bravo BY!!
Liv is 100% because she is the only returning big.

Reaction Score
PG/Point F - Makurat
W - Williams
W - Westbrook
PF - Edwards
PF - Nelson-Ododa

I love Griffin as a player but she's still going to be too raw of an offensive player next season. I see her making the jump her junior year not next...that being said she'll still get A LOT of minutes off the bench.

I gave Edwards the start because I think she brings the experience, athleticism, and offensive game at a size that this team will need while also complimenting ONO on the defensive end.

The other three seem like obvious locks to me, only question mark I have is Westbrook. Obviously a really talented player who's had a year with the team already but playing well in games for a new program is an adjustment for any player. That being said, if the athletic ability is still where it once was come next season. She, along with CW will be a go to player for this team down the stretch.

Paige is an incredible talent but I doubt she'll start off the season as a starter and if she does I don't foresee it lasting all season long. Her woman to woman defense IMHO is pretty bad and there's a lot of pressure on her shoulders to perform so it may be best to let her work her way into the pressure cooker position that is PG at UConn. She along with Griffin will be amongst the first players off the bench, spelling Westbrook, Williams, and Makurat.

I think McLean will follow a path similar to Griffin/G. Williams, and Muhl actually has the potential to have a big impact on this team depending on how well she can translate her game to this system and the physicality of college ball. I haven't seen any footage of Gabriel to judge her game, but going by her size and things I've read about her she may surprise in a couple ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom