Piath Gabriel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Piath Gabriel

Reaction Score
That clip is certainly interesting. To me, she "looks" like an athlete, and her body is well proportioned -- more like Tina Charles than Dawanna Bonner or Olivia. She looks like she is already strong enough to muscle with the Aliyah Bostons of the WCBB world. Having a brother in the NBA should mean that she has some idea of the level of effort needed to succeed in high-level basketball.
Joe, who is her brother and who does he play for?

Reaction Score
Dolson came in with skills. Geno mentioned that he especially liked her footwork. Gabriel will come in looking in better shape than what I remember of Dolson as a freshman. The "surprise" that Geno mentioned may be referring to 2 years down the road. A foul machine? That's OK, so she fouls out. She's not going to get more than 10 minutes at the outside. As long as she laid a body on the opposing post player and made life miserable for her while she was in.

IIRC, Steph had to go up against Griner her freshman year. Piath will have a much easier time.

Reaction Score
Dolson came in with skills. Geno mentioned that he especially liked her footwork. Gabriel will come in looking in better shape than what I remember of Dolson as a freshman. The "surprise" that Geno mentioned may be referring to 2 years down the road. A foul machine? That's OK, so she fouls out. She's not going to get more than 10 minutes at the outside. As long as she laid a body on the opposing post player and made life miserable for her while she was in.

Dolson came in overweight, with weak hands and slow feet, and couldn't jump. When I saw how outmatched she was in the McDonald's AA game, I was appalled.

What she became was entirely the product of great coaching. UConn got her into shape, taught her post skills, and then turned some inner genius of hers into the best passing post player in the country.

She was completely transformed over the course of her four years at Connecticut.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dolson came in overweight, with weak hands and slow feet, and couldn't jump. When I saw how outmatched she was in the McDonald's AA game, I was appalled.

What she became was entirely the product of great coaching. UConn got her into shape, taught her post skills, and then turned some inner genius of hers into the best passing post player in the country.

She was completely transformed over the course of her four years at Connecticut.
She got herself into great shape following her freshman season. The transformation and commitment to making that transformation came from her. But yeah, it was a dramatic shift.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

In terms of fitness and jumping ability, I absolutely agree. But Stef had surprisingly good hands and footwork for a big gal from the start. I think sometimes it didn’t look that way because she just got tired quickly and that may have lead to her fumbling a pass or stumbling on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have been searching high and Low for video of Piath to no avail. I even went to a few of their opponent's web pages. Our Boneyard sportswriters are strong in Maryland and Cali but a little weak in Mass. We will have to put some adds out for part time video work in the future. So we will just have to imagine a post player who will bump Boston off the block and be a strong finisher. All the high low entries Geno will develop for Ono, Edwards, Griffin, and Piath. We haven't had that in a couple of years. I don't know if my anticipation can last for 7 months. Maybe we can become the Northeast Bigs destination. We got Deberry and Bundy coming. Send us your bigs!!!
@HuskyNan posted a short clip of Piath stroking a deep three ball in rhythm, in game action, in transition a few weeks/months back. It opened my eyes. There are also a few posters that went to see her play during this past high school season and came away less than impressed stating that she will be a project. UCONN needs help in the post. Piath will be given an opportunity to help. I'm optimistic not because of Geno's endorsement at the top of this thread but mainly based on her size and even that very brief clip.
Edited: Correction it was @Checkmate 2.0 who posted the video.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan posted a short clip of Piath stroking a deep three ball in rhythm, in game action, in transition a few weeks/months back. It opened my eyes. There are also a few posters that went to see her play during this past high school season and came away less than impressed stating that she will be a project. UCONN needs help in the post. Piath will be given an opportunity to help. I'm optimistic not because of Geno's endorsement at the top of this thread but mainly based on her size and even that very brief clip.

Look closely. If the refs gave her a 3 on that, they screwed up. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The best thing about this clip is what Piath does after knocking down the shot. She turns and runs back down the court with a long, powerful stride. Right now, that’s what Geno likes best about her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Look closely. If the refs gave her a 3 on that, they screwed up. ;)
Actually my mistake. @Checkmate 2.0 pointed out in the original post that it was a long 2 and also noted he didn't necessarily want his post player taking a long 2 like that. As I said before that tiny clip opened my eyes. The sequence was smooth, good form on the shot within the flow of the game etc. Something we've come to expect from guards and wings but not a post player of her size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom