Piath Gabriel

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those who didn’t see my post on Piath:

PIATH GABRIEL
F, 6-5, Manchester, N.H.
Auriemma on Gabriel
"The first time I saw Piath play, I was impressed by how hard she works. How hard she runs the floor. How willing she is to mix it up in the lane. There's some things offensively that she needs to work on that I think we can help her with. Of all the big kids that I saw this season, she really impressed me with her work ethic. I think Piath is probably going to be the biggest surprise of all the kids coming into college next year."

I imagine it will take a while for Piath to get up to speed as it generally takes post players longer to adjust when moving up a level. But at the very least, she’s 5 fouls to give and she’ll take up a lot of space in the paint freshman year

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
To me, this (Geno's take) sums up as "raw but motivated", which sounds like Kara Wolters V2.0. Like a few previous post players at UConn, she may find that her definition of hard work doesn't match UConn's definition, and until she gets past that, it may limit her contribution. It also sounds as if she might be a foul magnet.

But at least she is not one of those 6-5 players who says, "I really want to handle the ball and hit threes -- I'm not a banger in the paint." We've heard too much of that from highly rated post players,

Reaction Score
Similar description to Dolson early on? I remember (for Dolson) something along similar lines—“always got up and ran hard when she got knocked down, great hands” etc. If she is even 50% the player Dolson was she could be a major contributor to the team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
But at least she is not one of those 6-5 players who says, "I really want to handle the ball and hit threes -- I'm not a banger in the paint." We've heard too much of that from highly rated post players,
I remember A'ja Wilson always going on about playing away from the basket. How many three has she launched in WNBA? One in the All-Star game. Overseas? Zero.

Reaction Score
Similar description to Dolson early on? I remember (for Dolson) something along similar lines—“always got up and ran hard when she got knocked down, great hands” etc. If she is even 50% the player Dolson was she could be a major contributor to the team.

Dolson came in with skills. Geno mentioned that he especially liked her footwork. Gabriel will come in looking in better shape than what I remember of Dolson as a freshman. The "surprise" that Geno mentioned may be referring to 2 years down the road. A foul machine? That's OK, so she fouls out. She's not going to get more than 10 minutes at the outside. As long as she laid a body on the opposing post player and made life miserable for her while she was in.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That clip is certainly interesting. To me, she "looks" like an athlete, and her body is well proportioned -- more like Tina Charles than Dawanna Bonner or Olivia. She looks like she is already strong enough to muscle with the Aliyah Bostons of the WCBB world. Having a brother in the NBA should mean that she has some idea of the level of effort needed to succeed in high-level basketball.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don`t expect her to have a significant impact next year, but there may be moments.

Remember Natalie Butler against Baylor at Gampel, November 17, 2016. 72-61 win, and we don`t win without her. Came in when Gabby was in foul trouble, played 20 minutes, 3 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks. Also helped similarly in wins against Texas and Maryland.

Sometimes you just need a big body out there. Most of the players next year will be finesse type players, except for Gabriel and probably Edwards.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don`t expect her to have a significant impact next year, but there may be moments.

Remember Natalie Butler against Baylor at Gampel, November 17, 2016. 72-61 win, and we don`t win without her. Came in when Gabby was in foul trouble, played 20 minutes, 3 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks. Also helped similarly in wins against Texas and Maryland.

Sometimes you just need a big body out there. Most of the players next year will be finesse type players, except for Gabriel and probably Edwards.
I believe that was Heather Buck.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

Buck graduated in 2013. As I recall, she came in against Baylor as a junior in December 2011 and did her best against Griner although UConn lost.

I saw Heather this winter, she was an assistant Coach for Conard High (West Hartford, CT) girls` basketball. She also showed for the UConn/USA game honored as a member of the 2010 team.

Reaction Score
I think we also have to remember that Piath started playing basketball later than most. So if you look at the rate of her progress based on when she started playing, she could really make bigger strides next year than other players at her point who have been playing since they were a young kid. It's amazing that she is where she is and just started playing in middle school. I think that is what Geno sees in her and says she works hard and is a fast learner.

Reaction Score

I love having the ability for a big body to come in for a few minutes of much needed rest for starters. Just not convinced next year is our year with so much dependence on freshman-my vote for Top 5 team two years from now.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am sure Heather was gone in November of 2016. If that was your meaning, or perhaps I misunderstood. :oops:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have high hopes for Gabriel. As I remember Wolters was the worst big man ever when she arrived at Uconn :) and she developed pretty well! She was not very hyped as I recall. Wolters had the advantage of being taller, but not a better athlete.

Uconn has lacked muscle in the post since Dolson graduated. Tuck had the muscle but not the height, and Uconn defense has had to compensate for that when playing against big trees like MsSt, Baylor, and SC have had. As Nan says, maybe as a freshman she ends up being just an addition 5 fouls, but if she is committed I think CD and co will be able to create something with her.

Reaction Score
I’ve said in the past that at 6’5, Piath will be taller then most of the girls she’ll be going up against, and Geno said she runs the floor hard. I can’t see why she won’t be able to see a few minutes backing up Liv if she simply runs rim to rim consistently, if she can focus on rebounding, put backs, and shot blocking, I think she could carve out a nice role for herself freshman year, and help the team out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve said in the past that at 6’5, Piath will be taller then most of the girls she’ll be going up against, and Geno said she runs the floor hard. I can’t see why she won’t be able to see a few minutes backing up Liv if she simply runs rim to rim consistently, if she can focus on rebounding, put backs, and shot blocking, I think she could carve out a nice role for herself freshman year, and help the team out.
I’ve been making a similar case for some time. From the limited amount of video I’ve seen on Piath, it’s clear she really runs the court well. While it will take some time for Piath to develop her complete skill set, I do believe that under the tutelage of Geno, CD and maybe Jamelle?, she could be ready for some meaningful PT by the second half of the season as a backup to Liv.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think we also have to remember that Piath started playing basketball later than most. So if you look at the rate of her progress based on when she started playing, she could really make bigger strides next year than other players at her point who have been playing since they were a young kid. It's amazing that she is where she is and just started playing in middle school. I think that is what Geno sees in her and says she works hard and is a fast learner.
In the clip I linked above Piath says she’s been playing basketball most of her life but only started taking it seriously in high school.

Reaction Score
Well.....she chose to play for the best teacher, the best system in modern college basketball, and the best record of success. So, she is capable of making big decisions that will prove correct for her future. If she works hard and listens, she will be able to make a considerable contribution to the Team. Geno's words remind me of what Geno said of Dolson which someone mentioned above. Who knows what the World will bring. Maybe @Carnac .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To be fair, when it comes to "bigs" we have all been told how much longer that process is for them to be good in the college game (Aliyah Boston aside). Look at Liv now as a sophomore, she has improved significantly since last year but is still raw offensively and needs further development to be the dominant player we need for a true National title run. While we believe in Geno/CD they have had a few "busts" in their recruiting these past 4 classes so their hype has to be a taken with a grain of salt at times. Anna and Aubrey have been great and pretty much matched the expectations. For that matter, I think CW and ONO have done what was expected. The Junior and Senior classes (including the transfers) have not been producing what any program needs and Geno has admitted as much.

All that said, I hope Geno is right and Piath is talent waiting to be unleashed. How much playing time she gets will tell us whether Geno was spot on or a tad off on this perspective. Fingers crossed. :)

Reaction Score

True! Natalie Butler was a force inside and wasn't moved very easily, but she moved like frankenstein and couldn't jump! :(

Reaction Score
I have high hopes for Gabriel. As I remember Wolters was the worst big man ever when she arrived at Uconn :) and she developed pretty well! She was not very hyped as I recall. Wolters had the advantage of being taller, but not a better athlete.

Uconn has lacked muscle in the post since Dolson graduated. Tuck had the muscle but not the height, and Uconn defense has had to compensate for that when playing against big trees like MsSt, Baylor, and SC have had. As Nan says, maybe as a freshman she ends up being just an addition 5 fouls, but if she is committed I think CD and co will be able to create something with her.
You and Nan bring up good points - i.e. size can be a great asset, often offsetting polished skills. Watched Boston play a number of times this year and she typically makes those guarding her look like junior hs kids. ONO appeared to be a rail next to Boston. Hoping that Gabriel's size is not over hyped. Whether for 5 or 25 minutes, we need it.

Reaction Score
In the clip I linked above Piath says she’s been playing basketball most of her life but only started taking it seriously in high school.
Point taken. I personally make distinctions between playground basketball and organized training of basketball and you are correct that she just started organized basketball in high school.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know very little about Gabriel. ALL of what I know about her, I've gleaned from here (the yard). The first time Geno mentioned her, he said she would be a project. Now he's saying she will be better than he first thought. At 6'5", she's going to help us at some point during the season, even if it's not until conference and tournament play.
I just want UConn to be competitive next year AGAINST ALL COMERS!!!!!! I think THIS team will.

The one thing that is a given is this 2020-2021 team has an abundance of talent. I just don't want to experience again what we did this year. To me, it was not THAT we lost, it was the way we lost. I have no problem losing to a team that has more talent than we do. That was not the case. We lost because we got outplayed. We played "tight" in all 3 games. We couldn't get our shots to fall.

When was the last time you watched UConn score 2 points in a quarter? THAT game was over at that point!! The players on the teams we lost to played their A game, we didn't. Two of those 3 games were on our home court. Hopefully some of Paige's moxie and bravado rubs off on her teammates. Not "cockiness", just her moxie and bravado.

The expectations of next season's team will far and away exceed those of this year's team, talent wise and depth wise. Even with the loss of Walker and Dangerfield, we should be able to run and compete with ANY other team in D-1 WCBB. That especially includes the teams we lost to this year!! The 5 games I'm very excited to play in the upcoming season are the 3 teams we lost to, Notre Dame and Tennessee. Four of those five games are on the road. South Carolina comes to us. That's a very tall order. After we win those 5 games, I'll buy the first round. ;)

The 5th starter's spot was a revolving door until the last month of the season. The bench depth was what it was, we all understood that. Your 6th man was a freshman that was still trying to figure the system out. Geno did the very best with what he had. He lost to 3 elite teams. He beat all of the other teams he was suppose to. He didn't lose to an unranked team, or a team ranked below them except for Baylor who was ranked 9th at the time.

This year will be totally different. Geno will have options he hasn't had in two years. My expectations for THIS team is "sky high". I can't wait for the season to begin. I wonder if Geno will add anymore players to the roster. I hope so. Right now I believe we're at 10. Recent history has proven that's not enough. I believe 12 would be sufficient. Perhaps a player from overseas that can play right now, and a graduate transfer that is eligible this coming season.

I've been away from the yard for a couple of days. Has the list of the BB writer's AA list been released yet?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been searching high and Low for video of Piath to no avail. I even went to a few of their opponent's web pages. Our Boneyard sportswriters are strong in Maryland and Cali but a little weak in Mass. We will have to put some adds out for part time video work in the future. So we will just have to imagine a post player who will bump Boston off the block and be a strong finisher. All the high low entries Geno will develop for Ono, Edwards, Griffin, and Piath. We haven't had that in a couple of years. I don't know if my anticipation can last for 7 months. Maybe we can become the Northeast Bigs destination. We got Deberry and Bundy coming. Send us your bigs!!!

Reaction Score
To me, this (Geno's take) sums up as "raw but motivated", which sounds like Kara Wolters V2.0. Like a few previous post players at UConn, she may find that her definition of hard work doesn't match UConn's definition, and until she gets past that, it may limit her contribution. It also sounds as if she might be a foul magnet.

Like the song says Joe, "You can't always get what you want. You don't always want what you get". We won't really know anything about any of our incoming players, including Paige, until the ball is thrown up in Nov. (hopefully). Working with people like Jamele and Cris will definitely be to advantage. I very seriously doubt that, even with her size, Geno would have offered her a scholarship. And if she is anywhere near Kara Wolters I think we will all be happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom