Phoenix Mercury @ Seattle Storm - 9/04/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Phoenix Mercury @ Seattle Storm - 9/04/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Best moment in the game was Diana Taurasi complaining to the officials that her good friend and Kim Perrot Award winner Sue Bird should have been T'd up.

Good no call in that situation. Emotions running high, it's Game 5. I give Maj Forsberg credit and I generally think she's terrible.
Lol she did a single leg take down on another player and then got up and screamed in the refs face. D was probably right. Like you I loved the moment. Sue shed her sweet girl next store persona and showed herself to be the tough competitor we all know she is. And D... [chuckle] D was D. Ultimate competitor looking for any edge she can get.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two fantastic points in the post game interviews of Sue Bird

1) I really wanted to nurture (love that word) Breanna Stewart
2) Breanna Stewart told me that I need to get more of my legs into the 3 pt shot after the 3Q.

So really, do the coaches on Seattle do anything? ;);)
Those were good. I also enjoyed this exchange:

Holly: Diana was 13-0 in elimination games but you won this one. How do explain that?
Bird: Law of averages?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Life intruded and took me away from the game at half time, but I will watch it later today. In the first half last night I was somewhat disappointed by D's offensive passivity and I'd love to have the ref who called the third foul on her stand on a chair and tell us all what he thought he saw to call that thing. Sue was terrific in spite of the nose; her shot was on from the opening tip and she is the consumate field general. Glad Seattle won; sad D lost. Love to have Phoenix get to the finals next year; need another ball handler/scoring guard.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another thought that popped into my mind was how mentally tough Sue Bird must be to play with the Mask and not let it affect her. I seem to recall NBA tough guy Joel Embiid would spend half the game tossing his mask to the ground because it was (Wahh Wahh Wahh) so uncomfortable. Probably connected to that whole 'Child Birth thing' ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW Sue, nobody touched your face in that scrum with 4 minutes to go. But I forgive you. Great 4th quarter lassey.

What D said: “Probably one of the best little stints of basketball I’ve seen her play. But that’s what she can do,” Taurasi said. “She can probably do that more often. But she’s the consummate point guard. She always wants to get everyone else involved. That’s routine Sue to me. But it was incredible really; just an incredible performance by her.”

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OBTW Sue, nobody touched your face in that scrum with 4 minutes to go. But I forgive you. Great 4th quarter lassey.

What D said: “Probably one of the best little stints of basketball I’ve seen her play. But that’s what she can do,” Taurasi said. “She can probably do that more often. But she’s the consummate point guard. She always wants to get everyone else involved. That’s routine Sue to me. But it was incredible really; just an incredible performance by her.”

My take on that is that Sue felt something near her nose and she went nuts because if even the slightest blood started due to an inadvertent hit, she would be forced off the floor and a repeat of the 4th Q (chickens running around wthout a head) could happen again while she is locked onto the bench. This allowed her to emphasize that any thing near her face was off limits. The stakes were too high.

Reaction Score
Two fantastic points in the post game interviews of Sue Bird

1) I really wanted to nurture (love that word) Breanna Stewart
2) Breanna Stewart told me that I need to get more of my legs into the 3 pt shot after the 3Q.

So really, do the coaches on Seattle do anything? ;);)

If they do they need to shut up :D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Life intruded and took me away from the game at half time, but I will watch it later today. In the first half last night I was somewhat disappointed by D's offensive passivity and I'd love to have the ref who called the third foul on her stand on a chair and tell us all what he thought he saw to call that thing. Sue was terrific in spite of the nose; her shot was on from the opening tip and she is the consumate field general. Glad Seattle won; sad D lost. Love to have Phoenix get to the finals next year; need another ball handler/scoring guard.
Rocky, may I suggest that you spend some considerable time in quiet introspection; ask yourself what choices you made in life, prior to last night, that would have allowed "life" to intrude upon watching great U Conn alums play their hearts out in a great basketball game. Your reflections on this just might help future Boneyarders to avoid such pitfalls. BTW, I hope it was nothing too tragic. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, may I suggest that you spend some considerable time in quiet introspection; ask yourself what choices you made in life, prior to last night, that would have allowed "life" to intrude upon watching great U Conn alums play their hearts out in a great basketball game. Your reflections on this just might help future Boneyarders to avoid such pitfalls. BTW, I hope it was nothing too tragic. ;)

Trivial to me; important to the woman in my life. Maybe a few of you know what that is like? :rolleyes:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Was that an instant classic? I think so.

As to the non- technical foul on Sue, if you slow mo the entire play, Sue DOES get whacked in the face by the defender’s knee. As to who “caused” that contact, I will leave that to others.

But just wow. What a game. A credit to both teams and their league.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sue Bird / Stewie taking over for Sue Bird / Lauren Jackson.

The parallel's are amazing (including Sue's Mask)

If you have not seen the clip below, you will learn a lot of interesting things. :D

Thanks eebmg, that is a wonderful piece on Sue. I really enjoyed it. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom