Phil Jackson: Duke players rarely live up to expectations of NBA | The Boneyard

Phil Jackson: Duke players rarely live up to expectations of NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Didn't someone do a statistical analysis of Duke players in the NBA that indicated that they actually had performed pretty well relative to their draft position? Far be it from me to defend the Dookies but I thought I remembered something like that posted here in the not too distant future.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Grant Hill was a 7x all star. The second half of his career was injury plagued but he still had a good career.

Reaction Score
Kyrie is
Boozer exceeded them (2nd round pick)
Deng is a 2x all star

Elton Brand too. It's fine for the boneyard to have boneheaded theories because we hate Duke for the sake of hating Duke, but it's pretty ridiculous for this to come from an NBA GM.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not for nothing but we really shouldn't be throwing stones.

Drummond is a beast and Kemba has been about league avg for a PG, but there's a lot of underperformers thrown in there, especially relative to pick.

Reaction Score
Duke has actually become really good at producing pros and looks like their future isn't too shabby either. Kansas is the program I never understood why they weren't better. Outside of Paul Pierce and Wiggins they haven't produced for all the top ranked classes they have had.

Reaction Score
I hope somebody is on getting the pasture fenced and ready for PJ - and make sure it's barbed wire, because Mr. Jackson seems to be getting less zen and more ornery with every passing year.

Reaction Score
I get guys like Boozer and Deng were good. Irving - c'mon he was hurt his freshman year basically and left how did K help him? Fact is there better be success stories because he's had a ton of McD AA's. So based on the ratio of high profiled recruits vs the success of their NBA carriers, VERY much underachieved and Phil has a solid argument!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Phil, posters on the Boneyard have been saying this for years.

Phil Jackson: Duke players rarely live up to expectations of NBA
I would be careful of glass houses and thrown stones here if I was from any other college program including ours. Coach K is an excellent coach and the program has done very well over the long term. That cannot be denied. Coach Calhoun was also an excellent coach who did very well over the long term. Coach KO is an excellent coach who has done very well over the near term. Do you really give a sh$$t?

Reaction Score
It's an opinion not a fact. What school really is a NBA farm with a players having longevity? Just saying this can be said about any Division 1 program.

Being old school I long for the days when college basketball was just college basketball. Sure NBA was always in play but it seemed 'disconnected' back then.

Reaction Score
I would be careful of glass houses and thrown stones here if I was from any other college program including ours. Coach K is an excellent coach and the program has done very well over the long term. That cannot be denied. Coach Calhoun was also an excellent coach who did very well over the long term. Coach KO is an excellent coach who has done very well over the near term. Do you really give a sh$$t?
Kind of. You get kind of sick of hearing everyone slobber all over Duke. Fact is, as mauconnfan said, Duke has had a ton of highly rated recruits and very few of those highly rated recruits become good NBA players. Probably way less than the norm, although I don't want to do the analysis to figure that out. Why is that?

Reaction Score
I think Phil is trolling the media. His comments aren't that off base he said expectations of the NBA you could say that about any teams program really. Georgetown has produced great NBA talent but how many national Championships to show for it 1, how about UNC and their great NBA players 4 national championships, UCLA and their great pros since the Wooden era 1 National Championship. Phil's comments about JR Smith were funny btw.

Reaction Score
I would say that Duke's NBA pedigree has been about in line with what you would expect given their recruiting.

Oddly, they seem to be pumping out more/better pros now that K is landing all these one and dones - Irving and Parker could both be on their way to stardom, and Okafor and Winslow are interesting prospects themselves. Not to mention, I'm sure a couple of guys from their most recent recruiting class will have long careers in the pros.

There was a time when the league was flooded with guys from UConn - many of whom weren't prized recruits - but things seem to have stabilized in recent times. Hopefully, guys like Hamilton and Adams are able to replenish the league with UConn blood after they're done here.

I'm not going to criticize other programs for turning five star recruits into D-League guys because it has happened here, and very often, it has nothing to do with their development and everything to do with the fact that not everybody can play in the NBA. I don't think any of us are going to sit here and rue the DeAndre Daniels days because he was a five star and didn't go in the first round.

Reaction Score
I get guys like Boozer and Deng were good. Irving - c'mon he was hurt his freshman year basically and left how did K help him? Fact is there better be success stories because he's had a ton of McD AA's. So based on the ratio of high profiled recruits vs the success of their NBA carriers, VERY much underachieved and Phil has a solid argument!

We always on other programs for their "development" (or lack there of) of 1 and done guys. But, we also very proudly list Drummond as one of our own; a beast in the NBA that we produced. Can't have it both ways. Irvings case is a bit different w/ the injury but if Okafor, Jones, or Jabari Parker become stars many on here will lament their 1 and doneness and remove any Duke/Coach K credit.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Oddly, they seem to be pumping out more/better pros now that K is landing all these one and dones - .

Why is it odd that they are producing better pros now that they are getting better players? Isn't that what you would expect ?

Reaction Score
There was this myth that Cal Quarterbacks couldn't play in the NFL that obviously changed with Aaron Rodgers.

Reaction Score
We always on other programs for their "development" (or lack there of) of 1 and done guys. But, we also very proudly list Drummond as one of our own; a beast in the NBA that we produced. Can't have it both ways. Irvings case is a bit different w/ the injury but if Okafor, Jones, or Jabari Parker become stars many on here will lament their 1 and doneness and remove any Duke/Coach K credit.

It doesn't take away with how great a coach he is on the college level. He now fully understands he needs to boost his recruitment in order to ramp up to Cal and has changed his ways. Why not, they want to come to Duke right and I doubt he was all over the one and done's prior to him seeing what Cal has done. He used to bring many of his freshmen in slowly almost to a fault it would have seemed and many transferred.

It will be interesting to see how Okafor, Jones and Parker pan out. We'll see.

Reaction Score
It doesn't take away with how great a coach he is on the college level. He now fully understands he needs to boost his recruitment in order to ramp up to Cal and has changed his ways. Why not, they want to come to Duke right and I doubt he was all over the one and done's prior to him seeing what Cal has done. He used to bring many of his freshmen in slowly almost to a fault it would have seemed and many transferred.

It will be interesting to see how Okafor, Jones and Parker pan out. We'll see.

Coach K is an all-time great, without question. Just think it's interesting the way that people say Cal is a coach b/c he doesn't develop his one and done guys and we scoff at the UK alumni train. But at the same time, no one here will say that Drummond shouldn't be counted as one of our alumni. I know Irving's case was a little bit different, but it's not the first time I've heard someone say that he was just a one and done and Coach K shouldn't get any credit. Hell, people used to list Bynum as one of ours.

Reaction Score
Coach K is an all-time great, without question. Just think it's interesting the way that people say Cal is a coach b/c he doesn't develop his one and done guys and we scoff at the UK alumni train. But at the same time, no one here will say that Drummond shouldn't be counted as one of our alumni. I know Irving's case was a little bit different, but it's not the first time I've heard someone say that he was just a one and done and Coach K shouldn't get any credit. Hell, people used to list Bynum as one of ours.

I think its fine to call 1-and-done guys 'alumni' but I have a hard time giving or taking any credit for the program or university "developing" those players.

Andre bleeds blue, he was there at the most recent championship, mainly because he was a CT kid for a time so I think he had that UConn allegiance built in. For a kid who grew up in like Texas and went to UK for a year and then pro, I doubt he has the same connection that Andre has to UConn.

Regardless, I think that if a guy stays for 1 year, you can't give much credit for their skill or greatness to the college because really not that much development happened. I would be interested to see how successful Duke 3-4 year players are vs kids from other schools (like ours). Obviously we look at our own history with rose tinted glasses, but I feel that our program has made more NBA players out of unheralded recruits than the other big name programs have. I think those schools have gotten better players, and when they make it, its like 'good, you got the player to where he was expected to be' rather than 'Wow! This guy came to ______ University as a backup/project, now he's getting drafted in the lottery, what!?'

Reaction Score
Fact is there better be success stories because he's had a ton of McD AA's. So based on the ratio of high profiled recruits vs the success of their NBA carriers, VERY much underachieved and Phil has a solid argument!
The operative word in that quote was "rarely"

And it is simply not accurate

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's with all the Duke knob-polishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom