Phil Grosz, owner of Blue-White Illustrated (Penn St.) says MD to Big 10 on Monday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Phil Grosz, owner of Blue-White Illustrated (Penn St.) says MD to Big 10 on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes, but since its an ESPN report, it's obviously spin designed to devalue the NBE tv rights....

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but if you think that the loss of Rutgers won't devalue the NBE tv rights, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If this thing is for real about Maryland to the Big10, then the Big East comes out a loser again in the realignment musical chairs...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but if you think that the loss of Rutgers won't devalue the NBE tv rights, then I'm not sure what to tell you. If this thing is for real about Maryland to the Big10, then the Big East comes out a loser again in the realignment musical chairs...

Good lord get a grip, he was being sarcastic. And people like you and Nelson should stop pretending remaining in the BE remains a viable option for anyone.

Now is the time to promise Swofford anything for Maryland's spot. And I mean anything. Favors both legal and illegal will suffice.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

I was gently mocking those who beleive everything is a ESPN conspiracy. If this happens, it's good for UConn. The worst outcome for UConn is remaining in the big least.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I was gently mocking those who beleive everything is a ESPN conspiracy. If this happens, it's good for UConn. The worst outcome for UConn is remaining in the big least.

The worst outcome is UConn remaining in the Big East without a tri-state partner, prior to arriving at a tv contract. You don't think that's bad???

Reaction Score
The worst outcome is UConn remaining in the Big East without a tri-state partner, prior to arriving at a tv contract. You don't think that's bad???

You really need to step away from the keyboard. This is the 2nd time in this thread you misread what RMoore was saying.

This is good because if MD leaves, than the ACC has an open spot. If no one leaves UConn is stuck in the BEast.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You really need to step away from the keyboard. This is the 2nd time in this thread you misread what RMoore was saying.

This is good because if MD leaves, than the ACC has an open spot. If no one leaves UConn is stuck in the BEast.

If I've misread what RMoore has typed, he will be free to correct me. You can step away from your own keyboard. You'll need to do so anyways, since you are getting ready to fire UConn's administration for not getting us into the ACC...

Reaction Score
If I've misread what RMoore has typed, he will be free to correct me. You can step away from your own keyboard. You'll need to do so anyways, since you are getting ready to fire UConn's administration for not getting us into the ACC...

Yeah let's reward UConn's administration for failing to protect the school's cash cow! Hooray for failure!

RMoore1999

Reaction Score

I think UConn athletics is by far better off in an ACC with flst/vtch/Clem/Miam/gtch/unc/duke/cuse/Pitt/Nd/bcu with a contract bowl bid in Miami and an espn contract than we would be if relegated to any connoction of the "group of little 5" NBE on nbcsports at 60% of the ACC tv contact with bad to decent football brands that share no regional connection. I get that swofford raided the big east in 2004. That sucked. but uts almost 2013. We need to Get over it. The NBE will turn UConn to UMass.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
RMoore the only problem with your post is that it contains relevant facts and reasoned analysis, instead of gut feeling and raw emotion!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think UConn athletics is by far better off in an ACC with flst/vtch/Clem/Miam/gtch/unc/duke/cuse/Pitt/Nd/bcu with a contract bowl bid in Miami and an espn contract than we would be if relegated to any connoction of the "group of little 5" NBE on nbcsports at 60% of the ACC tv contact with bad to decent football brands that share no regional connection. I get that swofford raided the big east in 2004. That sucked. but uts almost 2013. We need to Get over it. The NBE will turn UConn to UMass.

I don't think there are many here who would argue with you. I'm certainly not one of them. What I was arguing was the idea that it is all the administration's fault, which in my opinion, is a preposterous stance to take...

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
RMoore the only problem with your post is that it contains relevant facts and reasoned analysis, instead of gut feeling and raw emotion!

Of course, from a football perspective, Warde identifying someone like B.Synder, F.Beamer orJ.Calhoun circa late 80's/early 90's to replace PP wouldn't hurt matters either....

Reaction Score
Well, one way or another Rutgers and UCONN are both going to wind up being OK in all this. The only question is which one ends up where. The conventional logic is that Rutgers will wind up as No. 14 in the Big Ten and UCONN ends up in the ACC replacing Maryland. That is the scenario I'd put money on, I suppose, but I'm not sure it's automatic.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I don't think there are many here who would argue with you. I'm certainly not one of them. What I was arguing was the idea that it is all the administration's fault, which in my opinion, is a preposterous stance to take...

Nelson, Carl and Marty would, but hopefully you're correct and they represent a mere vocal the minority. I certainly have more faith in Susan than her predecessors to advance UConn's interests.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Nelson, Carl and Marty would, but hopefully you're correct and they represent a mere vocal the minority. I certainly have more faith in Susan than her predecessors to advance UConn's interests.

I'd actually feel a little better if President Hogan wasn't ousted from his position at Illinois this year, because we may have had a voice in the Big10 office. As much as I think Susan will work her tail off to get UConn into a good place, it still all comes down to getting an invite...

Reaction Score
Maryland has $50,000,000.00 problems and how are they going to rectify this situation with exit fee when they can't afford to keep the athletic programs they have? Is the Big Ten going to be Maryland's creditor because that is going to be something that needs to be addressed before any movement can happen.

UnderArmor = Sugar Daddy? Edsall willing to take a pay cut for 25 years to pay for this?

If we treat this like a company acquiring another company, all those finances must be in order before the "I's" are dotted and the "T's" are crossed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There is a scoreboard for this. Either UConn gets a soft landing or it doesn't. Maryland and freaking Rutgers are getting into the Big 10. If the ACC would rather take a commuter, city school or sit tight at 13 than take UConn, I would say that is a failure on the part of the Administration at this point.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Who knows. Maybe BC and FSU will still cockblock UConn somehow even though Flipper is gone.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Who knows. Maybe BC and FSU will still cockblock UConn somehow even though Flipper is gone.

I don't remember; did Maryland support or oppose UConn the last time around? I think ND would support...

Reaction Score
Maryland has $50,000,000.00 problems and how are they going to rectify this situation with exit fee when they can't afford to keep the athletic programs they have? Is the Big Ten going to be Maryland's creditor because that is going to be something that needs to be addressed before any movement can happen.

UnderArmor = Sugar Daddy? Edsall willing to take a pay cut for 25 years to pay for this?

If we treat this like a company acquiring another company, all those finances must be in order before the "I's" are dotted and the "T's" are crossed.

One from Column A and one from Column B:

JFowlerCBS 7:24pm via TweetDeck
Re $50 M exit fee, source says Big Ten could pay for it and deduct fraction of Maryland's yearly media rights fees as result

darren rovellVerified@darrenrovell14 Nov
Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank cashing out 5% of his holdings over next year. Will be about $65M, w/10% going to his foundation.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I don't remember; did Maryland support or oppose UConn the last time around? I think ND would support...

Supported. BC and Miami were against.

BC fans say that VT was also against, though I have heard differently from VT fans (not insiders admittedly).

Reaction Score
The $50M would be unlikely to hold up if challenged in court. Just saying . . .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This rumor doesn't make any sense. If the Big 10 was going to add schools, UNC and UVa would be the first calls, not Maryland. Although, the Big 10 did add Nebraska which doesn't make any sense from a markets perspective, and Maryland is a wealthy state with no other major university in the state and is contiguous to Big 10 country.

The timing is more puzzling. This should have happened months ago. ESPN was rumored to be offering the ACC and Big 12 more money per team if they would raid the Big East again, so approaching the Big 10 with the same deal is not out of the question, even if the Big 10 offer would just start tipping dominoes. But you would have expected something to happen before the Big East exclusive expired because the Big 10 isn't going to move quickly, and if the TV money is big enough the Big East schools are probably going to sign a Grant of Rights. The Big 10, on the other hand, seems to be moving towards taking their TV in house, but that won't happen for years and their ESPN deal isn't up until 2016, so why would they move now to add schools?

Rutgers, as usual, is part of the conversation, but the Big 10 has looked at Rutgers and passed on at least one occasion. What has caused anything to change, and why now?

Yet there are three separate sources that all are reporting this, and blowing this rumor for a semi-credible news organization, which team fan sites are, will have long legs. Chip Brown is a laughingstock in the digital media world and will be for a long time for his reporting during the Big 12 realignment. So these three sites/radio stations must have a credible source for this rumor, or they wouldn't be running with it. Except the rumor doesn't make sense.

Which brings me to a theory. The one guy that benefits the most from the leak of this sketchy rumor at this time, and would have the ability to get some news organizations to pick the rumor up, is Mike Aresco. If he is leaning on NBC to put a big number on the table and move quickly, leaking a rumor which, if true, would result in the end of the Big East, might light a fire under NBC. As long as the rumor isn't traced back to Aresco, there are no consequences for him when it turns out to be BS. But if he is trying to force NBC's hand, he would let them know that the league is willing to lock up if the number is big enough, but NBC has to come strong and quick.

Most likely this whole thing is just a prank someone is running to see if they can get a rumor reported as news. But maybe the rumor was started for reasons other than entertainment of the person starting the rumor. The rumor doesn't make sense to me so I don't think it is real, and I don't think a radio station and two Internet sites are conspiring to drive page hits. I think those different media outlets really believe this, which means someone credible told them it was going to happen.

I don't have a good explanation for this rumor, so this is as good as any.

I'm reading the threads out of order - did it end up being just a prank?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm reading the threads out of order - did it end up being just a prank?

The biggest tools on the Internet are those that scream "I told you so" when they never actually "told you so". You are President of these tools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The biggest tools on the Internet are those that scream "I told you so" when they never actually "told you so". You are President of these tools.

Aw, it's always fun when you swing between lamenting personal attacks and making them.

I'm sorry that your crazy theories proved incorrect. They were really good though, I think you should leave them hanging on your fridge for at least a few days since you were so creative.

The best part of this whole thing is going to be when the NBC fans are going to have to reverse course. How can UConn potentially join a conference that is only in one time zone?!?!?!?!?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom