Phil Grosz, owner of Blue-White Illustrated (Penn St.) says MD to Big 10 on Monday | The Boneyard

Phil Grosz, owner of Blue-White Illustrated (Penn St.) says MD to Big 10 on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • @JerryFisherPSU
Sources telling Phil Grosz that Maryland will be joining the Big 10 in 2014

_-----------------------------
Jerry Fisher is a writer for StateCollege.com and has a radio show.

Phil Grosz is the owner of blue-white illustrated, Penn State's Rival's site. Sensing the gullibility and insatiable appetite of realignment afficianados, these two are putting this out there.

Reputations be damned, it's all about the clicks!
No clickable link because I'm on my phone-

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Even if true, I don't know if it ultimately helps us. Watch RU and UL leave for greener pastures, while we get to sit on top of the pile of turds called the nBE.

Reaction Score
Mengus retweeted that Grosz was first to call Urban M to Ohio St and Dan Mullen to Miss St. not sure that means his ties to UF/Meyer give him some insight into what is happening at MD, but he has some credibility I suppose

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Frankly I haven't put any thought into realignment in about a year so this question may or may not be stupid but... would this reopen the possibility of UConn to the ACC?

Reaction Score
For sure that means the B1G will bring in a 14th member. 99% chance it will be Rutgers. Good for them. Hopefully we can take Marylands spot in the ACC - but Louisville might edge us out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For sure that means the B1G will bring in a 14th member. 99% chance it will be Rutgers. Good for them. Hopefully we can take Marylands spot in the ACC - but Louisville might edge us out.

Why? UConn has better sports (overall) and better academics.

Reaction Score

Not if someone leaves or is asked to leave...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, this sounds like horses***, BUT if true, UConn is taking Maryland's spot. I would still be shocked if the Big 10 would take Maryland when it could get Virginia and UNC.

Reaction Score
You thinking Penn State is about to get the boot? A swap of PSU for UMD?

Being bandied about on boards where the same noise that this stuff is emulating from... I put no faith in anyone when it comes to this stuff... Lot of people floating all types of theories this week.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Being bandied about on boards where the same noise that this stuff is emulating from... I put no faith in anyone when it comes to this stuff... Lot of people floating all types of theories this week.
Why wouldn't the ACC then add PSU, especially since the recent expansion hasn't helped football? If O'Brien stays at PSU they may recover quicker from the sanctions then I thought possible, he seems to be the real deal.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the ACC then add PSU, especially since the recent expansion hasn't helped football? If O'Brien stays at PSU they may recover quicker from the sanctions then I thought possible, he seems to be the real deal.

They could I guess... I mentioned it because of the comment about the B1G having to bring in a 14 team. They would not "need" to add an additional team if one came and one left.

Think it's all nonsense but who the knows anymore. Greed and Buco Egos are strange bedfellows these days.

Reaction Score
Phil Grosz has a spotty track record. He's been right about things in the past, he's also been way off. But what I believe makes this credible is that Jeff Ermann, publisher of Inside Maryland (the 24/7 Maryland beat) is indicating this is a very realistic probability and is giving off vibes that it's probably going to happen.

The Big Ten has always coveted Maryland as a possible target. And in previous preliminary discussions, the Terps have always reciprocated interest. But at the time, the Big Ten was waiting for Notre Dame's next move and Maryland was waiting a bit to see what happened with the ACC's next TV deal. The ACC deal wound up being less than expected and Notre Dame recently joined the ACC in other sports. So that brings us to now.

As absurd as it is, the B1G sill craves a Notre Dame partnership no matter how many times the girl says 'no.' But the only way that will ever happen is if the ACC is shaken a bit. The Big Ten could start that process by adding Maryland, which would precipitate a Florida State move to the Big 12 along with Clemson or Pitt (or both). If/when that happens, the Big Ten will suddenly have changed the landscape again and would have three spots for Notre Dame, Rutgers, Connecticut or an ACC package of Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and Virginia; or something along those lines.

The other thing people talk about is $50 million exit fee. But that's a non-issue. For starters, that fee will never see the light of day. As it always is, it will be negotiated prior to exit. Nebraska wound up paying half of what was reported initially. The difference, right now, between the Big Ten's total distributed revenue to institutions and the ACC's amount is nearly $9 million a year per school. If Maryland could negotiate a $27 million exit fee, that amount would be paid off in three years time by joining the Big Ten without lowering the budget one cent. But the truth is the Big Ten would likely cover the cost of the exit fee and then have Maryland pay back a prorated amount out of their annual league share.

In my estimation, Maryland to the Big Ten has always made a lot of sense and I gather it will happen. Still not sure if it will be this soon but I do believe it's a matter of time.

Reaction Score
A summary is at Testudo Times, a Maryland Terrapins community:

http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/11...es-turn-maryland-big-ten-rumors-back-in-vogue

Nice work find that link. It has a good summary of how this story has developed. It happened so fast I never really understood how it got started.

The scenario presented in the article - that Rutgers would go with Maryland to the Big 10 - at least leaves the possibility that we could take Maryland's spot in the ACC. I don't think the ACC wants Louisville (academics). The danger in this conference realignment stuff is if a conference takes two ACC teams at a time. I would be afraid the ACC would decide they were okay sticking with 12 and expansion would end.

Reaction Score
Nice work find that link. It has a good summary of how this story has developed. It happened so fast I never really understood how it got started.

The scenario presented in the article - that Rutgers would go with Maryland to the Big 10 - at least leaves the possibility that we could take Maryland's spot in the ACC. I don't think the ACC wants Louisville (academics). The danger in this conference realignment stuff is if a conference takes two ACC teams at a time. I would be afraid the ACC would decide they were okay sticking with 12 and expansion would end.

No worries. I doubt the ACC would sit tight, they need to protect against further raids.

Reaction Score
As absurd as it is, the B1G sill craves a Notre Dame partnership no matter how many times the girl says 'no.' But the only way that will ever happen is if the ACC is shaken a bit. The Big Ten could start that process by adding Maryland, which would precipitate a Florida State move to the Big 12 along with Clemson or Pitt (or both). If/when that happens, the Big Ten will suddenly have changed the landscape again and would have three spots for Notre Dame, Rutgers, Connecticut or an ACC package of Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and Virginia; or something along those lines.

I'm sorry, but there is no conference commissioner or college president sitting in their office concocting such scenarios/conspiracies.

The only reason the B1G would want to add Maryland is because they see value in the addition (i.e. rival for PSU, media rights and coverage in the Baltimore-DC market, tie-up with UnderArmour, etc.). Non of this BS destabilizing the ACC business. I feel adding Maryland and Rutgers makes lots of sense for them. It gives them a solid presence from DC to NYC.

The more conference movement the more chance UConn lands in one of the "Big 5" conferences - so I really hope this happens.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

They would have 12 only if ND comes all in for football. The other speculation I have seen around the intertubes is that the U may be looking at a lengthy football shutdown, but I don't buy it.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but there is no conference commissioner or college president sitting in their office concocting such scenarios/conspiracies.

The only reason the B1G would want to add Maryland is because they see value in the addition (i.e. rival for PSU, media rights and coverage in the Baltimore-DC market, tie-up with UnderArmour, etc.). Non of this BS destabilizing the ACC business. I feel adding Maryland and Rutgers makes lots of sense for them. It gives them a solid presence from DC to NYC.

The more conference movement the more chance UConn lands in one of the "Big 5" conferences - so I really hope this happens.

I agree with why Maryland would be a good fit for the Big10.

But I do think the Big10 also knows the kind of damage this does to the ACC. The ACC is trying to concoct a coastal conference up into the mid-Atlantic (BC is a lost cause) where the nation's population center resides. The Big10 is going to try to dent that, and by the way, no matter what anyone says, ND's base is right where the Big10 has been striking (Eastern PA, Maryland, NJ, NY and Chicago). This is where ND has been strongest. So, it's not simply a matter of wanting ND to join or conspiring to make it happen, but it's also a matter of weakening the ACC and ND. It doesn't help the Big10 to watch ND raid talent from its strongholds, and that may start happening more often in the near future.

Plus, Maryland has great high school football. You have to look at talent bases as well. There is only so much that Ohio and Pa. can do to supply the Big10 with talent. Moving into Maryland makes sense, and maybe to a lesser extent New Jersey.

Reaction Score
I agree with why Maryland would be a good fit for the Big10.

But I do think the Big10 also knows the kind of damage this does to the ACC. The ACC is trying to concoct a coastal conference up into the mid-Atlantic (BC is a lost cause) where the nation's population center resides. The Big10 is going to try to dent that, and by the way, no matter what anyone says, ND's base is right where the Big10 has been striking (Eastern PA, Maryland, NJ, NY and Chicago). This is where ND has been strongest. So, it's not simply a matter of wanting ND to join or conspiring to make it happen, but it's also a matter of weakening the ACC and ND. It doesn't help the Big10 to watch ND raid talent from its strongholds, and that may start happening more often in the near future.

Plus, Maryland has great high school football. You have to look at talent bases as well. There is only so much that Ohio and Pa. can do to supply the Big10 with talent. Moving into Maryland makes sense, and maybe to a lesser extent New Jersey.

Understood. But do you feel Delaney or the B1G presidents are actually thinking this strategically? I just don't see them saying to themselves - "ND has gone to the ACC, now we need to react". If MD to the B1G is happening, I presume it was probably MD who approached them (because of the financial mess MD athletics is in right now) and the B1G felt that it was worth a shot.

Reaction Score
Understood. But do you feel Delaney or the B1G presidents are actually thinking this strategically? I just don't see them saying to themselves - "ND has gone to the ACC, now we need to react". If MD to the B1G is happening, I presume it was probably MD who approached them (because of the financial mess MD athletics is in right now) and the B1G felt that it was worth a shot.
UMD and Rutgers would be a genius move for the B1G, as much as it sucks for us.

Reaction Score
If MD leaves, ACC has 14 schools for BB and 13.5 for FB. Not clear that they need to expand.

F

fortebleedsblue

UMD and Rutgers would be a genius move for the B1G, as much as it sucks for us.

Why is uconn never a choice for these moves? If ru and md go big10 then ville goes to ACC? Then whats next Boise and cinci to big 12 and byu air force to pac12? How did uconn become so irrelevant in all of this? Is it location, fan base, revenue, lack of success what?

Reaction Score
Why is uconn never a choice for these moves? If ru and md go big10 then ville goes to ACC? Then whats next Boise and cinci to big 12 and byu air force to pac12? How did uconn become so irrelevant in all of this? Is it location, fan base, revenue, lack of success what?
We'd be next in line for the ACC, based on whatever I know. I have no idea how you got the impression UConn is irrelevant in conference realignment. We have one of the most desirable schools/athletic departments and markets not in the "G5".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom