Phil Grosz, owner of Blue-White Illustrated (Penn St.) says MD to Big 10 on Monday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Phil Grosz, owner of Blue-White Illustrated (Penn St.) says MD to Big 10 on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay, so we're now up to 4 separate threads across the Boneyard since I first brought this topic up to your attention (2 on Realignment board, 1 each on the football & men's hoop boards). Gues it's gaining some traction.;)

Reaction Score
Why is uconn never a choice for these moves? If ru and md go big10 then ville goes to ACC? Then whats next Boise and cinci to big 12 and byu air force to pac12? How did uconn become so irrelevant in all of this? Is it location, fan base, revenue, lack of success what?

I think it's a number of things that get us in the conversation to be picked, but we don't have enough to get the final nod. We're a bit isolated in New England so we're not a natural extension for the B1G or Big 12. Even in the ACC the only contiguous state would be MA and BC doesn't want us there. We're also not deemed a fertile recruiting ground in football. The media numbers are good, not great. Finally, football has been driving a lot of the moves and we're not good with very limited positive history. We otherwise have a strong athletic department, but nobody seems to be looking for a basketball school rit now (and I don't think our recent NCAA issues and coaching change have helped).

I think if we got rid of all conferences and started from scratch, UConn would be fine. We'd be picked before many schools that are lucky enough to be in a stable conference. Unfortunately that's not the case and we need some luck. We could get left behind in further shake-ups, and the Big East could turn in to an ever worse home (without RU, Louisville), but movement provides are only chance.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
We'd be next in line for the ACC, based on whatever I know. I have no idea how you got the impression UConn is irrelevant in conference realignment. We have one of the most desirable schools/athletic departments and markets not in the "G5".

Agreed. With Maryland gone to B1G, UConn would be saved from the dumpster fire that is the NBE and off to acc. The Conference Realignment Board would however remain alive and well as we'll then have to endure the FLST/CLEM/GTCH to B12, VTCH/NCST to SEC, and UVA/UNC to B1G rumors.

Reaction Score
Understood. But do you feel Delaney or the B1G presidents are actually thinking this strategically? I just don't see them saying to themselves - "ND has gone to the ACC, now we need to react". If MD to the B1G is happening, I presume it was probably MD who approached them (because of the financial mess MD athletics is in right now) and the B1G felt that it was worth a shot.
B1G thought that it was worth a shot? I can't envision the B1G hierarchy being so benevolent as to help UMd get out of debt. I think it's all about the Benjamins.
First off solidifying the Northeast corridor as B1G territory for eyeballs, recruiting, media rights, prestige, allegience, etc. Secondly, cable stations not carrying the B1G network will be forced to add it in B1G home territory, & not for 10 cent carraige fee per subscriber, the home territory going rate ($ 1.10?).

Reaction Score
The Conference Realignment Board would however remain alive and well as we'll then have to endure the FLST/CLEM/GTCH to B12, VTCH/NCST to SEC, and UVA/UNC to B1G rumors.
If all that happens, we'd be stuck in another dumpster fire. ND might have to step up and become a full member to persuade other members to stay.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
If all that happens, we'd be stuck in another dumpster fire. ND might have to step up and become a full member to persuade other members to stay.

Don't disagree. Conn/ND/Cuse/Pitt/bcu/Duke/Wake/Miami would be forced to take up the NBE gameplan of sifting through the leftovers for replacements....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
dumpster fire = bc, cuse, pitt, wake, duke, miami, temple, usf, ucf.... this is also known as the acc in 2015.

Reaction Score
Understood. But do you feel Delaney or the B1G presidents are actually thinking this strategically? I just don't see them saying to themselves - "ND has gone to the ACC, now we need to react". If MD to the B1G is happening, I presume it was probably MD who approached them (because of the financial mess MD athletics is in right now) and the B1G felt that it was worth a shot.

Yes, absolutely, I do.

Reaction Score
prestige, allegience, etc. Secondly, cable stations not carrying the B1G network will be forced to add it in B1G home territory, & not for 10 cent carraige fee per subscriber, the home territory going rate ($ 1.10?).

There are plenty of home territory regions in which the cable stations are not charged the high Big 10 fee. Philly is one such example.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it's a number of things that get us in the conversation to be picked, but we don't have enough to get the final nod. We're a bit isolated in New England so we're not a natural extension for the B1G or Big 12. Even in the ACC the only contiguous state would be MA and BC doesn't want us there..

Well other than New York...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This rumor doesn't make any sense. If the Big 10 was going to add schools, UNC and UVa would be the first calls, not Maryland. Although, the Big 10 did add Nebraska which doesn't make any sense from a markets perspective, and Maryland is a wealthy state with no other major university in the state and is contiguous to Big 10 country.

The timing is more puzzling. This should have happened months ago. ESPN was rumored to be offering the ACC and Big 12 more money per team if they would raid the Big East again, so approaching the Big 10 with the same deal is not out of the question, even if the Big 10 offer would just start tipping dominoes. But you would have expected something to happen before the Big East exclusive expired because the Big 10 isn't going to move quickly, and if the TV money is big enough the Big East schools are probably going to sign a Grant of Rights. The Big 10, on the other hand, seems to be moving towards taking their TV in house, but that won't happen for years and their ESPN deal isn't up until 2016, so why would they move now to add schools?

Rutgers, as usual, is part of the conversation, but the Big 10 has looked at Rutgers and passed on at least one occasion. What has caused anything to change, and why now?

Yet there are three separate sources that all are reporting this, and blowing this rumor for a semi-credible news organization, which team fan sites are, will have long legs. Chip Brown is a laughingstock in the digital media world and will be for a long time for his reporting during the Big 12 realignment. So these three sites/radio stations must have a credible source for this rumor, or they wouldn't be running with it. Except the rumor doesn't make sense.

Which brings me to a theory. The one guy that benefits the most from the leak of this sketchy rumor at this time, and would have the ability to get some news organizations to pick the rumor up, is Mike Aresco. If he is leaning on NBC to put a big number on the table and move quickly, leaking a rumor which, if true, would result in the end of the Big East, might light a fire under NBC. As long as the rumor isn't traced back to Aresco, there are no consequences for him when it turns out to be BS. But if he is trying to force NBC's hand, he would let them know that the league is willing to lock up if the number is big enough, but NBC has to come strong and quick.

Most likely this whole thing is just a prank someone is running to see if they can get a rumor reported as news. But maybe the rumor was started for reasons other than entertainment of the person starting the rumor. The rumor doesn't make sense to me so I don't think it is real, and I don't think a radio station and two Internet sites are conspiring to drive page hits. I think those different media outlets really believe this, which means someone credible told them it was going to happen.

I don't have a good explanation for this rumor, so this is as good as any.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This rumor doesn't make any sense. If the Big 10 was going to add schools, UNC and UVa would be the first calls, not Maryland. Although, the Big 10 did add Nebraska which doesn't make any sense from a markets perspective, and Maryland is a wealthy state with no other major university in the state and is contiguous to Big 10 country.

The timing is more puzzling. This should have happened months ago. ESPN was rumored to be offering the ACC and Big 12 more money per team if they would raid the Big East again, so approaching the Big 10 with the same deal is not out of the question, even if the Big 10 offer would just start tipping dominoes. But you would have expected something to happen before the Big East exclusive expired because the Big 10 isn't going to move quickly, and if the TV money is big enough the Big East schools are probably going to sign a Grant of Rights. The Big 10, on the other hand, seems to be moving towards taking their TV in house, but that won't happen for years and their ESPN deal isn't up until 2016, so why would they move now to add schools?

Rutgers, as usual, is part of the conversation, but the Big 10 has looked at Rutgers and passed on at least one occasion. What has caused anything to change, and why now?

Yet there are three separate sources that all are reporting this, and blowing this rumor for a semi-credible news organization, which team fan sites are, will have long legs. Chip Brown is a laughingstock in the digital media world and will be for a long time for his reporting during the Big 12 realignment. So these three sites/radio stations must have a credible source for this rumor, or they wouldn't be running with it. Except the rumor doesn't make sense.

Which brings me to a theory. The one guy that benefits the most from the leak of this sketchy rumor at this time, and would have the ability to get some news organizations to pick the rumor up, is Mike Aresco. If he is leaning on NBC to put a big number on the table and move quickly, leaking a rumor which, if true, would result in the end of the Big East, might light a fire under NBC. As long as the rumor isn't traced back to Aresco, there are no consequences for him when it turns out to be BS. But if he is trying to force NBC's hand, he would let them know that the league is willing to lock up if the number is big enough, but NBC has to come strong and quick.

Most likely this whole thing is just a prank someone is running to see if they can get a rumor reported as news. But maybe the rumor was started for reasons other than entertainment of the person starting the rumor. The rumor doesn't make sense to me so I don't think it is real, and I don't think a radio station and two Internet sites are conspiring to drive page hits. I think those different media outlets really believe this, which means someone credible told them it was going to happen.

I don't really buy your theory (if Aresco gets traced to the rumor, he loses ALL credibility and respect from his peers) but the bolded paragraph is spot on. I agree 100%. Scott Van Pelt in particular has little to gain from spreading a rumor like this, nor is he the type to pass along faulty information. Despite this, he was one of t he first to report UMD to the Big 10 as a possibility.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It would make zero sense for Aresco to start this rumor. If there is a belief (regardless of the actual outcome) that more expansion among the true major conferences is happening, the BE as a whole will be hurt the most. As we are attempting to get a new television contract, our perceived value drops if the common belief is that we will lose a couple of our most valuable members.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but there is no conference commissioner or college president sitting in their office concocting such scenarios/conspiracies.

The only reason the B1G would want to add Maryland is because they see value in the addition (i.e. rival for PSU, media rights and coverage in the Baltimore-DC market, tie-up with UnderArmour, etc.). Non of this BS destabilizing the ACC business. I feel adding Maryland and Rutgers makes lots of sense for them. It gives them a solid presence from DC to NYC.

The more conference movement the more chance UConn lands in one of the "Big 5" conferences - so I really hope this happens.

It has nothing to do with conspiracies. And you don't think people are predisposed to finding ways of getting what they want? It' has nothing to do with "conspiracies." It has everything to do with planning for getting something of value. The Big Ten has been basing their moves all along on the landscape and what's best for their league. That's exactly what they're doing now. If they have to think 2-3 steps ahead, they'll do so. That's simply common sense. It's not a conspiracy.

Reaction Score
Well other than New York...
You're absolutely right. I truly forgot. I guess I don't consider Syracuse to be part of the same "New York" that is close to UConn. They are New York's Team though (according to them).

Reaction Score
This rumor doesn't make any sense. If the Big 10 was going to add schools, UNC and UVa would be the first calls, not Maryland.
No, they would not. Both schools have baggage, read: other state schools. If they try for UVA, VA Tech puts up a stink, and the move gets stuck in VA legislature when VT alum lawmakers try to lobby for VT to go with them. If they try for UNC, the move gets stuck with NCSU people who want to come as well, in addition to the faction of UNC people who wouldn't want to leave Duke behind. There likely would be lawsuits, lengthy legislature battles and all sorts of red tape. MD has none of these problems, and has a filthy rich donor a la Phil Knight ready to pump money into the school.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Seems highly unlikely that UNC would ever leave the ACC.

I dont think VA is tied nearly as tightly, but MD fits closer to B10 footprint.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't see how Aresco spreading MD rumors helps up the price for NBC, but maybe someone can explain it to me... Though I would say it probably isn't that hard to start this kind of rumor in a way that wouldn't be traceable directly to his doorstep. There might not be quite the market for a Big East TV contract that we wish there was, but there's still a bull market for rumors!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

It's almost as if your "ESPN is deliberately destroying the Big East from behind the scenes" argument is proven, for the 10th time, to be entirely without merit. If Aresco floated this, it would lead to the unquestionable weakening of the Big East, thereby weakening the Big East's negotiating hand. It would be the worst, dumbest thing he could possibly do.

Keep searching for that imaginary brass ring!

Reaction Score
Let's just get this done already. I can't tell you how insulting it is to see schools who haven't accomplished a fraction of what we have athletically be considered to be of "higher value".

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Rutgers is the perfect patsy. It gets the Big10 television sets (for subscription purposes) without risking any losses for the traditional teams. Marriage made in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom