OT: - PGA at Kiawah | The Boneyard

OT: PGA at Kiawah

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Second major of the year.

Weather looks relatively tame for an ocean course.

In spite of overall length it's more of a second shot ball striking and creativity around greens than it is a driving or putting course.

I said a few weeks ago I liked Ancer and I'll stick with him.

Also liking JT, Horschel, Spieth and Berger.

I was really liking Sam Burns and Charl Schwartzel too before their performance last weekend.

Reaction Score

In spite of overall length it's more of a second shot ball striking and creativity around greens than it is a driving or putting course.

I was really liking Sam Burns and Charl Schwartzel too before their performance last weekend.

Is Ancer long enough? 7800+ yds. Longest in major history. His ball striking is elite but his short game, specifically his putting really holds him back. I like him a lot and am pulling for him to break through soon, but he always falls short because of the putting. Not sure this is the setup for him.

I like Hovland a lot this week. Berger is a solid pick and JT always is. Could also be a good setup for Xander to finally break through.

Reaction Score

Having played there a couple of years ago, I can tell you definitively you better be driving your golf ball or you have no chance. If you're missing fairways by even a few yards, you are dead. We played two rounds......combined handicap of my group was 8. We lost 30 balls. And the wind was only blowing about 10-15 mph. We didn't even consider playing the tips, we played two tees up......lowest score was 85. By far the hardest golf course I've ever played.

Reaction Score
My buddy (UConn Grad) caddies at the Ocean Course. He said he'd be shocked if a big bomber didn't win because the yardage. He likes JT, DJ, Xander, and Bryson.

Reaction Score
Is Ancer long enough? 7800+ yds. Longest in major history. His ball striking is elite but his short game, specifically his putting really holds him back. I like him a lot and am pulling for him to break through soon, but he always falls short because of the putting. Not sure this is the setup for him.

I like Hovland a lot this week. Berger is a solid pick and JT always is. Could also be a good setup for Xander to finally break through.
Is Hovland good enough around the greens? He hits the ball well and puts fine...but his short game gives me pause.

Reaction Score
Having played there a couple of years ago, I can tell you definitively you better be driving your golf ball or you have no chance. If you're missing fairways by even a few yards, you are dead. We played two rounds......combined handicap of my group was 8. We lost 30 balls. And the wind was only blowing about 10-15 mph. We didn't even consider playing the tips, we played two tees up......lowest score was 85. By far the hardest golf course I've ever played.
Holy crap! I don't think I'll ever get to a handicap of 8....let alone a combined 8....I'm impressed

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Surprised there's no love for Rory here. He's playing well, won recently and has won on this course plus he's a good wind player. He's also the favorite going in. I think the winner comes from the top 4 favorites in this one (way out on a limb there, huh?). I just don't see anyone else that will pop up and win it. Don't like the way Bryson or DJ are playing right now. Hovland has been on his game, but not sure he has the Sunday experience to get it done. I'll take Rory for the win paired with Spieth on Sunday. Rahm and JT will be there too.

Rory McIlroy11/1
Justin Thomas13/1
Jon Rahm14/1
Jordan Spieth14/1
Bryson Dechambeau15/1
Dustin Johnson17/1
Xander Schauffele20/1
Viktor Hovland22/1
Collin Morikawa28/1
Daniel Berger30/1
Hideki Matsuyama33/1
Patrick Reed36/1
Brooks Koepka37/1
Cameron Smith37/1
Webb Simpson37/1
Patrick Cantlay38/1
Tony Finau40/1
Sam Burns45/1
Scottie Scheffler45/1
Abraham Ancer45/1

Reaction Score
Is Hovland good enough around the greens? He hits the ball well and puts fine...but his short game gives me pause.
It’s gotten significantly better this year. It’s not a strength, but it’s also not a glaring, one of the worst on tour, weakness like it was last year. But yes, that is still the weakest part of just game and what could hold him back.

Reaction Score
I thought i heard u can ground your club in the sand areas here If that is so think Reed has a good chance.

Reaction Score
My picks as of now are,
Dustin Johnson
Cameron Smith

..Still deciding on a 3rd.

Reaction Score
I don't know if he's feeling well, but Justin Rose comes to mind - tends to raise his game in majors and solid return on investment here. Regardless of what happens, I'll tune in to watch / golf at Kiawah is just magical.

Reaction Score
Surprised there's no love for Rory here.

I'm rooting hard for Rory this week. He's playing great golf and I would love to see him up the leaderboard of a major again. It's pretty much impossible to not root for the guy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Surprised there's no love for Rory here. He's playing well, won recently and has won on this course plus he's a good wind player. He's also the favorite going in. I think the winner comes from the top 4 favorites in this one (way out on a limb there, huh?). I just don't see anyone else that will pop up and win it. Don't like the way Bryson or DJ are playing right now. Hovland has been on his game, but not sure he has the Sunday experience to get it done. I'll take Rory for the win paired with Spieth on Sunday. Rahm and JT will be there too.

Rory McIlroy11/1
Justin Thomas13/1
Jon Rahm14/1
Jordan Spieth14/1
Bryson Dechambeau15/1
Dustin Johnson17/1
Xander Schauffele20/1
Viktor Hovland22/1
Collin Morikawa28/1
Daniel Berger30/1
Hideki Matsuyama33/1
Patrick Reed36/1
Brooks Koepka37/1
Cameron Smith37/1
Webb Simpson37/1
Patrick Cantlay38/1
Tony Finau40/1
Sam Burns45/1
Scottie Scheffler45/1
Abraham Ancer45/1

Not a lack of love for Rory.

Just felt saying Rory and DJ is kinda boring.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I thought about Hovland but he seems to have one or two blow up holes too often to contend at a major.

But he's had tourneys where he made quad bogey and still finished top 5.

Reaction Score
Holy crap! I don't think I'll ever get to a handicap of 8....let alone a combined 8....I'm impressed
By far the more impressive thing was that we lost 30 balls. It got comical after awhile. Amongst our group there was something like 15 club championships. We were reduced to complete hackers. And yet we had a blast. Can't wait to watch after having had the experience of playing it.

Reaction Score
Playing the Ocean Course myself in less than a month. Pretty stoked.

Play them all - even if it takes a few trips. Cougar Point, Turtle Point and the Fazio one (name escapes me). Granted, the Ocean Course is the shiny diamond - and totally different from a conditions standpoint - but, they're all fun.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Play them all - even if it takes a few trips. Cougar Point, Turtle Point and the Fazio one (name escapes me). Granted, the Ocean Course is the shiny diamond - and totally different from a conditions standpoint - but, they're all fun.
Definitely will- I’m playing Turtle Point as well. Live in Charlotte so Kiawah is pretty easy for me to get to. Have to be in Charleston for a wedding that weekend so works perfectly.

Reaction Score
By far the more impressive thing was that we lost 30 balls. It got comical after awhile. Amongst our group there was something like 15 club championships. We were reduced to complete hackers. And yet we had a blast. Can't wait to watch after having had the experience of playing it.
Watching on tv is soooo much better if u know the course.
Wow. U guys are some REALLY good players

Reaction Score
Happy to crowdsource my 1 and done pick. Need help, having a terrible year. I have Reed picked at the moment and here are my choices:

Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
We played Ocean Course 2 years ago from the middle tees, I think 6400. I think half the holes are into the wind and half the holes are with the wind. Wind, even “light” 15 to 20 mph are a big factor. No holes are wind protected. Tee shot is critical with the waste areas although there are no bunkers at Ocean Course as sandy areas are all treated like waste areas. I lost 1 ball, but my partner, a low single digit hdcp, lost 5. I think this will be a major test for the pros, especially if the winds pick up.

Reaction Score

Yup, place is brutal. I played there about 5 years ago. Probably the hardest courses I have every played and I have played lots of golf. The elevated greens make it very difficult to hold flighted approach shots.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm calling dibs on @uconngb and two of his buddies in the next Boneyard golf outing!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@LIuconn are you in a league on Officefootballpool.com? I've been in one for a few years. Your screen shot looks like our league. Pick one golfer a week, can't pick the same guy twice in a season? I've only picked Schauffle and Rory out of the top 10 but I'm thinking of going with Hovland. Are you sticking with Reed? I was going with Rahm but since his son was born he hasn't played to well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom