PFF rankings - interesting | Page 5 | The Boneyard

PFF rankings - interesting

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict

One guy in our important zip code played bigtime football - Southern Utah - and has been around Auburn and the feeding ground that is football in Long Beach. He bought what Edsall has sketched out ... and has been willing partner. Which ... I will remind our other readers here: Benedict is in the Long Game. Whomever thinks Edsall has a short leash is not thinking reality. Benedict is linked to this Staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whomever thinks Edsall has a short leash is not thinking reality. Benedict is linked to this Staff.
While once a vocal Edsall critic, I realized a few years back that the best thing for UConn is for Edsall to succeed. It appears to me that he has a plan and is rebuilding the program. Now is not the time to scrap what's been put together. We need wins of course, but I think they are coming.

Reaction Score
While once a vocal Edsall critic, I realized a few years back that the best thing for UConn is for Edsall to succeed. It appears to me that he has a plan and is rebuilding the program. Now is not the time to scrap what's been put together. We need wins of course, but I think they are coming.
Humility and honesty. Love this post Waquoit!! There is nothing wrong with admitting where you once stood and acknowledging a change for the better. We are all rooting for the program and have a wait and see approach. They haven’t played in two seasons so anyone with sense is fully aware that you can’t predict any amount of wins definitively. But I wholeheartedly agree with you- the wins are coming

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure Boyle was mismanaged. He was pretty awful at UConn and he wasn't much better as Eastern Kentucky. Historically awful, actually.

The Packers saw something they liked and developed him into a backup QB.

I don't think it's really indicative of anything.

Reaction Score

Wisdom

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Also...he provides continuity and he is cheap. He isn't looking for the next gig and he isn't looking fo a big paycheck.

Reaction Score
Chief, irony alert.

Glad to see casual football fans are starting to get it. Let us know if there is more you need help with. Welcome back to UConn football.

Could you imagine this board if everyone posted with a bizarre air of self aggrandizement?
You are totally out of step with the current state of the team and staff. It’s almost humorous. You are stuck in a time warp.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are totally out of step with the current state of the team and staff. It’s almost humorous.
You are a slow causal fan- but you’ll get there buddy! Keep reading - absorb! Upgrading yourself from casual to insightful takes time. It’s a process.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict

One guy in our important zip code played bigtime football - Southern Utah - and has been around Auburn and the feeding ground that is football in Long Beach. He bought what Edsall has sketched out ... and has been willing partner. Which ... I will remind our other readers here: Benedict is in the Long Game. Whomever thinks Edsall has a short leash is not thinking reality. Benedict is linked to this Staff.
This. I’ve believed from the beginning that ADDave and Edsall agreed that this wasn’t a quick fix situation. It was a long process. Step one was upgrading talent. Edsall basically played the first 2 years trying to replace upper classmen. But since you can’t dump 35 guys, it had to be done methodically. Oh, I’m sure there were a few guys who left that he’d like to have kept, but for the most part all the transfers out were part of the strategy.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This. I’ve believed from the beginning that ADDave and Edsall agreed that this wasn’t a quick fix situation. It was a long process. Step one was upgrading talent. Edsall basically played the first 2 years trying to replace upper classmen. But since you can’t dump 35 guys, it had to be done methodically. Oh, I’m sure there were a few guys who left that he’d like to have kept, but for the most part all the transfers out were part of the strategy.

It's like any other hire/fire scenario - show me the better alternative, otherwise, pipe down.

A combo of cheap, known, and a bridge to the best parts of our past is hard to beat, at present. Edsall isn't going to reinvent football, but for a school representing the land of steady habits, it makes sense.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's like any other hire/fire scenario - show me the better alternative, otherwise, pipe down.

A combo of cheap, known, and a bridge to the best parts of our past is hard to beat, at present. Edsall isn't going to reinvent football, but for a school representing the land of steady habits, it makes sense.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think that under his watch we haven't won a conference game since October 2017. At some point it doesn't matter just how bare the cupboard is, you need results as he's been steering the ship for damn near 5 years now.

Give me continued recruiting success, i.e. kids with majority FBS offers and an overall class rankings of in the 70s/80s, plus Yale/Holy Cross/UMass + another win, and not to look completely outclassed in the majority of our other games, and I think he easily buys himself another year.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure Boyle was mismanaged. He was pretty awful at UConn and he wasn't much better as Eastern Kentucky. Historically awful, actually.

The Packers saw something they liked and developed him into a backup QB.

I don't think it's really indicative of anything.
Yeah 6' 4", 230 lbs, does look good throwing the ball. Enough for a look. Congrats to him for winning the back up comp.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dave Benedict

Benedict and RE also have the added benefit of knowing a losing football program, if run cleanly and staying out of the news for off the field stuff, won't get an AD fired at UConn. UConn is one of the few BCS football programs where an AD's tenure is not directly linked to on field football performance.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think that under his watch we haven't won a conference game since October 2017. At some point it doesn't matter just how bare the cupboard is, you need results as he's been steering the ship for damn near 5 years now.

Give me continued recruiting success, i.e. kids with majority FBS offers and an overall class rankings of in the 70s/80s, plus Yale/Holy Cross/UMass + another win, and not to look completely outclassed in the majority of our other games, and I think he easily buys himself another year.
One fair criticism of Edsall is that he didn't have to tear the program completely down in order to build it up. He didn't have to totally disregard on field success for long term gain. It felt like he could have found a way in 2018 to not field what may have been the worst team ever in FBS history. He could have brought in more transfers...or worked harder to not alienate certain Diaco players...and maybe find a way to coach them up instead of coach them out. Work two paths...build for the future while still putting a competent product on the field.

But.... obviously he thought blowing it up was necessary...and maybe it was just in order to build the right culture. But man.... it's been painful.

He really needs to field a competitive team this year...or It won't have been worth it to go through all the pain.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
One fair criticism of Edsall is that he didn't have to tear the program completely down in order to build it up. He didn't have to totally disregard on field success for long term gain. It felt like he could have found a way in 2018 to not field what may have been the worst team ever in FBS history. He could have brought in more transfers...or worked harder to not alienate certain Diaco players...and maybe find a way to coach them up instead of coach them out. Work two paths...build for the future while still putting a competent product on the field.

But.... obviously he thought blowing it up was necessary...and maybe it was just in order to build the right culture. But man.... it's been painful.

He really needs to field a competitive team this year...or It won't have been worth it to go through all the pain.

A program like UConn, especially now with our independence status, should be living in the portal and picking up kids on p5 rosters who aren't seeing the field.

Seems like we only go the transfer route with QBs so the last two decades, and in most cases its worked out pretty well. I'd like to see it used a lot more.

The roster we had was devoid of talent, but in today's landscape there's not many excuses for the records we put up in 2017, 18, 19.

Reaction Score
A program like UConn, especially now with our independence status, should be living in the portal and picking up kids on p5 rosters who aren't seeing the field.

Seems like we only go the transfer route with QBs so the last two decades, and in most cases its worked out pretty well. I'd like to see it used a lot more.

The roster we had was devoid of talent, but in today's landscape there's not many excuses for the records we put up in 2017, 18, 19.

This is exactly NOT the philosophy we have - Edsall - nor did Calhoun. Partially - in football - it is because of the region we are in. It is not home of a lot of FBS quality kids 19-23. as has been stated: We would rather develop raw talent and coach them up. Taking DJ Morgan or Diamond - easier because either Weiss or Spanos knew them from relationships in LA. Specific kids? Pre-existing relationships matter. But we have heard, often, that we don't want to take problems or kids running away.

You can argue woulda coulda shoulda. But we ain't. Even the JUCO kids we have taken - not QB - we haven't successfully integrated. Best thing about this argument: it gets proven this year on the field.

I would argue that both UCONN baseball & UCONN hoop do better with incoming transfers; because the athlete needs to be a more skilled producer immediately.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

I think you do that as needed...not as a strategy. They needed any FBS talent in 2018...Edsall decided not to fill the gap with transfers. Which is questionable. But now that he has had a few recruiting classes...and the talent should be better...transfers shouldn't be needed.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is exactly NOT the philosophy we have - Edsall - nor did Calhoun. Partially - in football - it is because of the region we are in. It is not home of a lot of FBS quality kids 19-23. as has been stated: We would rather develop raw talent and coach them up. Taking DJ Morgan or Diamond - easier because either Weiss or Spanos knew them from relationships in LA. Specific kids? Pre-existing relationships matter. But we have heard, often, that we don't want to take problems or kids running away.

You can argue woulda coulda shoulda. But we ain't. Even the JUCO kids we have taken - not QB - we haven't successfully integrated. Best thing about this argument: it gets proven this year on the field.

I would argue that both UCONN baseball & UCONN hoop do better with incoming transfers; because the athlete needs to be a more skilled producer immediately.

I think it would be pretty easy to argue that in the context of UConn football, perhaps it may be time to reevaluate our strategy?

How is it that we can only take transfers at QB - likely the hardest position in sports to integrate - and it's a success with Lorenzen, Frazer, hell even Whitmer, Sherriffs, and Pindell.. but we can't take a few more flyers on other positions?

The idea that only "problems" or "kids running away" are transferring is a discredit to a lot of guys just looking for an opportunity to get on the field.

Reaction Score
I think it would be pretty easy to argue that in the context of UConn football, perhaps it may be time to reevaluate our strategy?

How is it that we can only take transfers at QB - likely the hardest position in sports to integrate - and it's a success with Lorenzen, Frazer, hell even Whitmer, Sherriffs, and Pindell.. but we can't take a few more flyers on other positions?

The idea that only "problems" or "kids running away" are transferring is a discredit to a lot of guys just looking for an opportunity to get on the field.

We go after transfers every year, there is always tough competition for the top transfers so its not like it's an easy road to go down. We just added a RB from Miami and a Tackle from Colorado. Maybe you have heard of DJ Morgan and Micah Leon.

In 2019 we had the RB transfer from Toledo, Mike Beudry, and the WR whose name escapes me now., there was also a transfer guard from Cincy in the 20 class who has already left the program. Our starting center this year is likely the JUCO transfer Sidney Walker, and the presumed starting safety Diamond Harrell is also a JUCO transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you do that as needed...not as a strategy. They needed any FBS talent in 2018...Edsall decided not to fill the gap with transfers. Which is questionable. But now that he has had a few recruiting classes...and the talent should be better...transfers shouldn't be needed.
I said a long while back that there were 2 options for rebuilding. 1 I’d go the JUCO/Portal route which can work short term. If you are a younger coach looking to move up, it absolutely is the way to go. Win 9-10 games your 2nd year and you could well be the next head coach at Syracuse or Kansas. Option 2 was Edsall’s way of blowing it all up. The hope is that it is long term viable. And with a competent successor it can be. It is easier if you are an older guy like Edsall who isn’t chasing his next job.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I said a long while back that there were 2 options for rebuilding. 1 I’d go the JUCO/Portal route which can work short term. If you are a younger coach looking to move up, it absolutely is the way to go. Win 9-10 games your 2nd year and you could well be the next head coach at Syracuse or Kansas. Option 2 was Edsall’s way of blowing it all up. The hope is that it is long term viable. And with a competent successor it can be. It is easier if you are an older guy like Edsall who isn’t chasing his next job.

Or.. there could be have more of a mixed approach that would have spared UConn football from completely devolving into the laughingstock it is today.

You mean to tell me there is no middle ground between getting a bunch of jucos and winning "9-10" games or going 1-11 as one of the worst teams in FBS history?

Reaction Score
Sure there is, but I’m not sure going 4-8, 3-9 is that much better. But I think Edsall and Schiano have this model. Beamer did too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom