PFF rankings - interesting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

PFF rankings - interesting

Reaction Score
I remember Mike Beaudry's first pass against Wagner and thinking, nope, UConn doesn't have a QB this year. You could just tell. They had him hand off the first two plays from scrimmage, and I was thinking that they didn't have confidence in him to pass. Then we saw his first pass and saw the future for the season.

That really was disheartening. I thought he’d be better.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree here. He did improve toward the end. The looped pass over the defense to I think Mensah for a 90+ yard td against Houston or ECU was not a throw he could make earlier in the year. It was something RE or Giufre pointed out at the time. He had trouble in the red zone and in short yardage but that is an area of improvement. Remember, he came from Canada where the game is different. For a 1st time QB in America, he had his moments and lots of room to improve.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board with a good memory. Z definitely had enough good moments for us to believe he can be a good QB. I don't care what you think of the ECU defense, throwing for over 400 yards against them as a true freshmen is impressive. Z flashed a plus arm with a quick release and very good pocket awareness for a true freshman, there is no doubt in my mind that he can build off that and be a very good QB, hopefully this year. That said, if someone is good enough to beat him in the competition for the job then good for us and the team.

notice how I said nothing bad about his competition as I don't care who wins the job. Some of you can't help but post negative comments about Z and I don't get it. He was solid for a freshman, he has talent and he deserves better support from this board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zerg is not the droid we are looking for. Just never improved his game over the season. Not accurate enough, doesn’t see and read the field well, and makes a lot of bad decisions. You can cure number 3, but not 1 and 2. We have to aspire to move beyond “at least he doesn’t make bad mistakes. I’d hand the ball to K with the mission to make some plays with his arm.
News flash, 99% of freshman QBs that we’re able to pull in won’t be ready for fbs football. That’s just the way it is. That doesn’t mean he can’t get better with some development.

Reaction Score
News flash, 99% of freshman QBs that we’re able to pull in won’t be ready for fbs football. That’s just the way it is. That doesn’t mean he can’t get better with some development.
But he had "IT". Why else start the 3rd string real freshman QB over red shirt 2nd string freshman if he wasn't ready to play FBS?

Reaction Score
But he had "IT". Why else start the 3rd string real freshman QB over red shirt 2nd string freshman if he wasn't ready to play FBS?
Because nobody else separated themselves as the guy. Tim Boyle sucked when he got thrown to the wolves here but somehow he’s carving out a career as an NFL backup. Maybe a small sample size as a young college QB doesn’t mean that much?

Reaction Score
Because nobody else separated themselves as the guy. Tim Boyle sucked when he got thrown to the wolves here but somehow he’s carving out a career as an NFL backup. Maybe a small sample size as a young college QB doesn’t mean that much?
Boyle was grossly mismanaged. 90% of coaches are fixated on “ no turnover- mistake free” football, Instead of managing risk to allow playmaking.

Reaction Score
I'm glad I'm not the only one on this board with a good memory. Z definitely had enough good moments for us to believe he can be a good QB. I don't care what you think of the ECU defense, throwing for over 400 yards against them as a true freshmen is impressive. Z flashed a plus arm with a quick release and very good pocket awareness for a true freshman, there is no doubt in my mind that he can build off that and be a very good QB, hopefully this year. That said, if someone is good enough to beat him in the competition for the job then good for us and the team.

notice how I said nothing bad about his competition as I don't care who wins the job. Some of you can't help but post negative comments about Z and I don't get it. He was solid for a freshman, he has talent and he deserves better support from this board.
I am also an agnostic when it comes to the question of winning the starting QB job. The only exception to that was the kid that PP mismanaged and who ended up going to Fordham. The center at the time was dating his competitor's sister. Whenever he came in you could count on at least one bad snap.

It is entirely possible that Zergiotis with two more years of maturity and conditioning could be the alltime surprise of the program. A free redshirt year preceded by a year of finding out what the difference in HS and FBS ball really is. Not the same as a free year of actually playing, but good nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I think that’s right. Very few true freshmen started last year. Occasionally you see somebody but it is very rare even among really high level recruits.

I thought Z looked good at times but totally lost at others. But he seemed to have the right mentality and some physical skills. I didn’t see the game Krajewski played, so I don’t really have a clear sense of his level.

One thing I will say though is I don’t really get Edsall not brining in a JUCO or grad transfer to help stabilize the position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think that’s right. Very few true freshmen started last year. Occasionally you see somebody but it is very rare even among really high level recruits.

I thought Z looked good at times but totally lost at others. But he seemed to have the right mentality and some physical skills. I didn’t see the game Krajewski played, so I don’t really have a clear sense of his level.

One thing I will say though is I don’t really get Edsall not brining in a JUCO or grad transfer to help stabilize the position.
Judging by Twitter stalking they did look into several possibilities over since December. What it seem to me is that they were aiming higher than in the past, looking for a player that would clearly come in with talent above what we currently have. And so it seems they didn’t feel it necessary or useful to bring in another QB that frankly would be unlikely to moved past what we have now.

Short answer - they tried.

They also looked some OL and DL grad help.

Reaction Score

This is a bit old, but haven't seen it on here.

103. CONNECTICUT HUSKIES

Of note:
104. SYRACUSE ORANGE
106. VANDERBILT COMMODORES
121. MIDDLE TENNESSEE BLUE RAIDERS
126. MASSACHUSETTS MINUTEMEN

Other opponents:
85. FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS
80. PURDUE BOILERMAKERS
67. ARMY BLACK KNIGHTS
90. WYOMING COWBOYS

2. CLEMSON TIGERS

34. UCF KNIGHTS
76. HOUSTON COUGARS
Chief takes all these rankings with a grain of salt. However, big picture, if your current team is ranked #103 but your 2022 recruiting is ranked #56; that’s the big “Pivot” that Chief often tries to educate our beloved Casual Fans about.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Chief takes all these rankings with a grain of salt. However, big picture, if your current team is ranked #103 but your 2022 recruiting is ranked #56; that’s the big “Pivot” that Chief often tries to educate our beloved Casual Fans about.
Glad you stopped that silly nonsense about Corey and the staff learning from BB. And nice to see you are trying to move past casual status yourself. Remember, the pivot isn’t Corey, he’s the same young coach from day one. The pivot is with the fans that thought the program died last summer when the season was canceled. Those fans have pivoted back which is welcome.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe the value of having an offensive line that can hold together a pocket is being unreasonable discounted?

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Glad you stopped that silly nonsense about Corey and the staff learning from BB. And nice to see you are trying to move past casual status yourself. D”Remember, the pivot isn’t Corey, he’s the same young coach from day one. The pivot is with the fans that thought the program died last summer when the season was canceled. Those fans have pivoted back which is welcome.

He can't show his face in the "Bouknight Draft Watch" thread so I guess this is where he has chosen to live in a hole for the time being.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying that this is a far more manageable schedule than we’ve had in Edsall 2.0. Not to say we go 10-2 but I would consider 6 or 7 wins within the realm of possibility. Not to say we will win 6-7 either. To me Purdue is huge.
If we can win 4 or 5 games it is a huge improvement.

Reaction Score
Glad you stopped that silly nonsense about Corey and the staff learning from BB. And nice to see you are trying to move past casual status yourself. D”Remember, the pivot isn’t Corey, he’s the same young coach from day one. The pivot is with the fans that thought the program died last summer when the season was canceled. Those fans have pivoted back which is welcome.
You are not dealing in reality - we are ranked 56 in 2022 recruiting and that “same young coach” has been given credited by numerous of our top recruits. As I recall at ethics time Corey was making $75k or $100k - that young coach should be pulling closer to $180k to $220k NOW.
Maybe you are age based tenure type compensation from your language but Chief is results based. Let’s pay the man, regardless of his age, for getting it done.

Reaction Score
Team rankings at this point can be deceptive....because of numbers of commits and teams that will get commits later in the cycle.

UConn currently #82 in 247 and #59 in Rivals...

What I like to look at is the average commit rating...

Rivals (on a 5 star basis) has the average Husky commit at 2.21 with 14 total commits. 247 lists 11 commits....(discrepancies in commits).

Boise State (as a Rivals comparison) has 12 commits and a 2.50 average.

Reaction Score
They were able to bring in recruits and family for official visits during camping season and team summer session workouts. They saw a a cohesive team, attractive schedules, facilities and coaches. Certainly Corey was a huge part of that and no one is arguing that fact. Don't think anybody would argue that a raise would be in order also.If people don't think that the staff spent time last year working a lot on the future because they didn't have a present, I dont know what to to tell you.

Reaction Score
I’m curious - Since a “pivot” by definition is something that is quick and sudden and is not incremental, can you tell us when the Great Recruiting Pivot occurred (not when you thought it up, but when you know it actually occurred). I’ll give ya a +/- 30 day window.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am glad to see you have been reading this board and learning how recruiting and football in general works! Good for you!

No reason to thank us...we are happy to help!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are not dealing in reality - we are ranked 56 in 2022 recruiting and that “same young coach” has been given credited by numerous of our top recruits. As I recall at ethics time Corey was making $75k or $100k - that young coach should be pulling closer to $180k to $220k NOW.
Maybe you are age based tenure type compensation from your language but Chief is results based. Let’s pay the man, regardless of his age, for getting it done.
You returned the football board a few weeks ago saying Corey learned from MBB, how ridiculous. What casual fans don’t understand is that football relationships take time to build and the continuity with this staff over the past three seasons in particular is now yielding results for efforts made years ago rather than merely a season ago.

Anyway we can help guide you. As for Corey’s comp deal, - yep he needs a big pay raise- that’s stating the obvious.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Regular reminder....I keep seeing threads where fans say the QB race is between Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis. I really think Leon is at least in the mix...and may be the leader. Like he was in fall 2019.

Reaction Score
You returned the football board a few weeks ago saying Corey learned from MBB, how ridiculous. What casual fans don’t understand is that football relationships take time to build and the continuity with this staff over the past three seasons in particular is now yielding results for efforts made years ago rather than merely a season ago.

Anyway we can help guide you. As for Corey’s comp deal, - yep he needs a big pay raise- that’s stating the obvious.
Corey is adept at building relationships with HS recruits. It used to be much more filtered through coaches but texting and social media has changed things from the status quo state you seemed to be comfortable with. There has been successful sharing between sports and the the proof is in our recent results for both sports.
As for my “stating the obvious”, about Corey deserving a pay raise, if it’s so obvious why wasn’t it discussed to my knowledge until I brought it up? Furthermore, to me it’s not about stating the obvious or not. It’s about getting results. Chief has now started a conversation that neither Corey nor his Dad could start. Now that Chief has shined some sunlight on the “obvious” let’s get it done Dave!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Corey is adept at building relationships with HS recruits. It used to be much more filtered through coaches but texting and social media has changed things from the status quo state you seemed to be comfortable with. There has been successful sharing between sports and the the proof is in our recent results for both sports.
As for my “stating the obvious”, about Corey deserving a pay raise, if it’s so obvious why wasn’t it discussed to my knowledge until I brought it up? Furthermore, to me it’s not about stating the obvious or not. It’s about getting results. Chief has now started a conversation that neither Corey nor his Dad could start. Now that Chief has shined some sunlight on the “obvious” let’s get it done Dave!!!!!!!!
False False False. I will only respond to the first half of this- whatever you want to call it- because to suggest that somehow you’re responsible for initiating talks regarding pay raises is absurd.

As far as recruiting, the only thing that has changed is that the classes of 2018-2021 are helping with the recruiting. It all started with getting his first full class in which consisted of families and recruits that they built relationships with- People that wanted to be here and help rebuild. Once he landed that class, Randy now had a bunch of deputized recruiters that gave subsequent recruits and families a far more positive experience and sold the program better than any coach could.

This factor you are grossly understating. It’s actually criminal. Recruits and their families HEAR THE SAME MESSAGE FROM EVERY COACH ON EVERY VISIT- Yes, the ground game via Corey and Co gets the family to the door but it’s the visit that seals the deal- after the dinner and tour it’s when the recruit goes and hangs with the host and the players for the night. Then when said recruit comes back to the hotel to speak with the parents it’s that conversation that goes a long way in the decision. And that’s the magic pill in recruiting- what is the tone of that conversation with the recruit and family. It’s that first question- So how did you feel around the guys???? THE GUYS i.e PLAYERS!!!!!! Did they trash the program, sound lukewarm about their experience when asked by the recruit? Was it only a trip filled with trying to throw women at the recruit, i.e hot sauce him (which usually has a negative effect). That’s what it’s all about and will always come down to- how do the current players feel about where they are. These players, most of them I should say, RESPECT COACH EDSALL- and speak highly of him during these visits

Throw in the facilities, academics, schedule and the ability to play early and that’s the cause of this recruiting momentum. 2022 has been great because they were able to bring the recruits in for visits during the summer where the campus and facility tour was much more palatable to the Floridians and Texans. And that was due to Covid and not some pivot.

I know none of this will change your shtick and you will continue to come on here spewing misleading and self aggrandizing information. But whatever. It’s exhausting

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Regular reminder....I keep seeing threads where fans say the QB race is between Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis. I really think Leon is at least in the mix...and may be the leader. Like he was in fall 2019.
He’s definitely in the mix, the question is health. So far he has been hampered by injuries.

Reaction Score
Boyle was grossly mismanaged. 90% of coaches are fixated on “ no turnover- mistake free” football, Instead of managing risk to allow playmaking.
Interesting that Boyle was grossly mismanaged, but Zergiotis is a lost cause in your eyes. Z looked miles ahead of Boyle in my opinion.

I’m not even saying he’ll be a good QB. Who knows. But it’s not fair to say he won’t get better with some development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom